• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
During AMD's CES press conference, Xbox Division Head Phil Spencer joined the graphics giant's CEO Lisa Su on stage to talk about the partnership between the two companies.

"As a company, we look at the opportunity in gaming and one of the things I want to say is when we think who our partners are, we think about great companies that do great work, but also do it in the right way.
You're somebody that I respected a ton in this industry and I've seen the way you've led AMD, and I think having a partner like AMD that works so collaboratively with us on our future technology, but also as a cultural level I think fits so well, it's awesome to have you as a partner."
[…]
"As we look forward to future platforms that we're building and work that we're doing, the partnership and the innovations that we've seen in the past have led to what we've been able to do today, I think they're going to be critically important to our future endeavors.
I'm really looking forward to showing those to people more in the future."

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Basically no. Rumours and what 'leaks' we've had so far point to Sony continuing with AMD.
There's also the fact that Both Sony and MS have had a somewhat rocky relationship with Nvidia in their previous console efforts, so they'd probably not pick Nvidia as their first choice anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is there any chance to see sony working with NVidia GPU-wise?

No. AMD is cheaper, has a better relationship with Sony and it makes back compat much more likely / easy for PS5.

Nvidia didn't exactly have good things to say about consoles after the PS3, it seemed like they were done with consoles and I'm sure Sony aren't fussed, as AMD did a much better job on PS4, than nvidia did on PS3.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
So are consoles keeping AMD's head above water or is that just appearances? Seems the PC side is always yawns and gloom when it comes to AMD.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So are consoles keeping AMD's head above water or is that just appearances? Seems the PC side is always yawns and gloom when it comes to AMD.

AMD is a good fit for the consoles. They make CPUs and (good enough) GPUs and can make custom chips for the console makers. Thus the CPU and GPU can be combined into a single chip, reducing costs.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
AMD is a good fit for the consoles. They make CPUs and (good enough) GPUs and can make custom chips for the console makers. Thus the CPU and GPU can be combined into a single chip, reducing costs.
Pretty much- Sony and MS are committed to x86 for the foreseeable future, and getting the company that already makes both x86 CPUs and GPUs as well as chips that combine the two to make a custom CPU+GPU chip for your console is a lot more sensible cost-wise than mixing and matching between different vendors. Similarly, Nintendo's gone with Nvidia for Switch because Nvidia's the only player in the ARM market right now who seems to have an interest in making chips for dedicated ARM-based gaming devices.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
man...a thread for such 'news'....

i mean, isn't it as obvious as the sun is rising from the east.....? Nvidia is not interested in low-margin console business, Intel doesn't have a mature GPU solution, so it's only pretty much AMD with a mature and reasonably cheap APU solution for the home console makers to use and they will continue to use it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, was there ever any doubt?

Will be interesting to see though, post-2020, if any console partners with Intel for its APU.