Status
Not open for further replies.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Phil will say that your PS5 had now turned into an Xbox. Would be pretty awesome if they made a deal with Sony for gamepass. Will never happen, but a man can dream.

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
hard to believe it's already been 44 years since nintendo released their first xbox. time sure does fly

Game_%26_Watch.png

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if it would have been at all possible, but I think they should have just made a play for Valve if possible. Steam could have been their gaming centric store front, with things like Steam Deck and Index covering areas of the hardware market they don't have a space in yet. They could release a new console called a Steam Box, which would give you full access to your Steam/Xbox library.

They would get a fat slice of the store fees, and be well positioned for the future when we move beyond hardware when streaming is viable.
The fiercely independent libertarian would surely sell the company he's spent his life building to the company he quit because he hated their corporate attitude

And regulators surely wouldn't be concerned about the 2nd largest software distributor on PC buying the largest software distributor on PC while also owning the operating system on which 90% of its business is conducted

Jul 1, 2020
I have no idea if it would have been at all possible, but I think they should have just made a play for Valve if possible. Steam could have been their gaming centric store front, with things like Steam Deck and Index covering areas of the hardware market they don't have a space in yet. They could release a new console called a Steam Box, which would give you full access to your Steam/Xbox library.

They would get a fat slice of the store fees, and be well positioned for the future when we move beyond hardware when streaming is viable.
Steam Machines existed long before the Steam Deck and they were largely a failure because nobody bothered to port their games to Linux and the tech to make Windows games work on Linux wasn't anywhere near where it is now.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Today's the day! I think we're all wondering if microsoft is capable of delivering their message without confusing or pushing away their playerbase. Will see.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

This would be the worst fucking thing. Microsoft would run PC gaming into the ground overnight.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Phil's twitter/x if he says something like "so our initial games coming to other plataforms are Sea Of Thieves, Pentiment and….Starfield"

The amount of shitty things that he will have read…

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Worst timeline

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
The fiercely independent libertarian would surely sell the company he's spent his life building to the company he quit because he hated their corporate attitude

And regulators surely wouldn't be concerned about the 2nd largest software distributor on PC buying the largest software distributor on PC while also owning the operating system on which 90% of its business is conducted

This would be the worst fucking thing. Microsoft would run PC gaming into the ground overnight.

I'm not saying I would want them to by the way. Mainly that I think people at MS would think it would make sense.

Steam Machines existed long before the Steam Deck and they were largely a failure because nobody bothered to port their games to Linux and the tech to make Windows games work on Linux wasn't anywhere near where it is now.

I think they were pretty premature with Steam machines.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox, coming to an ultrasound scanner screen near you. Find out the sex of your baby then get straight back to your dailies.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
I imagine part of the reason people bought into the Xbox ecosystem this gen was because of the cheap Series S and Game Pass, not necessarily exclusives. That's still compelling to some people.
It's why I bought in (the controller, series x and gamepass)

But Gamepass is not enough anymore.
If Starfield was as good as we thought it would be (Skyrim like) chances are I would only be putting the game down around now.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox, coming to an ultrasound scanner screen near you. Find out the sex of your baby then get straight back to your dailies.
Good job honey you rolled a 5 star female. It took so long to conceive this baby I was worried that we were nearing our pity limit

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think the keyword is "gamepass"

Do you want it? Buy a xbox 😀

Except that's already the case, and Game Pass growth has stagnated. How is making the first-party games on Game Pass non-exclusive supposed to help?

Almost no one is buying a console solely for Game Pass, if the actual first-party content on Game Pass is available everywhere else. Game Pass is a nice service to have as a delivery mechanism on top of a healthy ecosystem of quality first-party exclusive games. Microsoft have struggled mightily with getting that consistent pipeline of quality first-person games in place this generation, arguably only finally getting a consistent schedule last year... and then at least two of those games failed to meet the quality bar.

This has never been rocket science. Put out a steady cadence of quality games you can only get inside the Xbox ecosystem (on PC, console, cloud, smartwatch, wherever), and you'll attract people to your subscription plan if there's enough of them to be a good value.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying I would want them to by the way. Mainly that I think people at MS would think it would make sense.
Ahh.

I don't see it being possible without Microsoft putting themselves in the crosshairs of another antitrust suit. Especially considering there's much more money to be made in games vs Internet browsers.

Nov 19, 2019
Guys does this message look ok? I am blind typing because my monitor turned into an Xbox.

Also I am clicking "post reply" via muscle memory.

Also I will have difficulty reading your replies.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
Maybe Xbox is releasing an attachment that allows you to connect your Xbox Series X to a portable backpack and an Apple Vision Pro so you can Xbox Play Everywhere!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not counting on that.
Best case scenario is that we, the ERA crowd, understands but the general, less informed about video games will not.
Anecdotal and all...

I got some texts from friends, family, co workers asking did I see the new GTA VI trailer that morning.

I said yeah...I saw it last night, the leaked version too. They all were like....what?

A few folks in my family play Roblox and Minecraft faithfully.

Roblox:

No one really asked or cared that it was exclusive to Xbox and it wasnt on PlayStation. They didnt even care it was on Xbox and played on their phones and PC. Granted when it finally came to PlayStation they started playing it more on console.

Minecraft:

i wonder how many even know MS now owns Minecraft. Because no one in several of my relatives homes know.

Many might dont even know who makes what game...only that its playable on [insert console here]

Sometimes, the more/most locked in crowd for gaming news can be the worst crowd. A segment of them at least.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a wild thought.

What if they decided to re brand the Xbox name to something else when they launch the new consoles. Would that be disastrous?

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
Just had a wild thought.

What if they decided to re brand the Xbox name to something else when they launch the new consoles. Would that be disastrous?
Could help them away from the baggage of past consoles. Xbox could remain the overall division name, with a new naming convention for hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.