• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Today, we're excited to announce we're bringing Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) to the Xbox App on Windows 10 PCs for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members in 22 countries who are part of the Insider program.

Xbox Cloud Gaming with the Xbox App provides the same great Xbox experience you're used to: Play over 100 high-quality Xbox console games with your friends; pick up from a saved game you started on your Xbox; or try out a whole new game from the Xbox Game Pass library to decide if you want to download it to your console.

With Xbox Cloud Gaming, you can turn all types of PCs into a gaming device, from brand-new budget computers to older machines with low specs. All you need to do is connect a compatible controller via Bluetooth or USB, launch the Xbox app, click the "cloud games" button, select your game and start playing. We've also added some new features to help you get started, including easy-to-access information on controller and network status, social features to stay connected with friends, and the ability to invite people – even those also playing on cloud without the game installed – to join you in a game.

news.xbox.com

Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) available for Insiders through the Xbox App for Windows - Xbox Wire

It’s our continued goal to make gaming available to all players around the world, wherever you are, on the devices you want...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this announcement, but is there any benefit to using the Xbox app on windows vs. browser on Win/Mac/Linux? If I go to xbox.com/play in Chrome/Brave, it has my whole cloud library available and seems to *just work*

I don't really get what the xbox app offers that a browser doesn't?

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Yup, i have it!

rRsjigy.png

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
nice. probably getting close to the xbox one/series cloud streaming release then.

Deleted member 44122

this comes at the perfect moment for me. cloud streaming through the browser stopped working for me a few days ago

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
Hopefully this requires less authentication prompts/delays than the web app when launching it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious if I'll be able to feel a difference. The browser version really does feel close to local play already, where I am geographically.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I saw this announcement, but is there any benefit to using the Xbox app on windows vs. browser on Win/Mac/Linux? If I go to xbox.com/play in Chrome/Brave, it has my whole cloud library available and seems to *just work*

I don't really get what the xbox app offers that a browser doesn't?
The game library is identical and overall user experience is similar, but the Xbox app works nicely with the Win+G game bar overlay and some other conveniences.

You also might find that performance is different, being in an app vs. the browser - the team will be eager to see everyone's feedback!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The game library is identical and overall user experience is similar, but the Xbox app works nicely with the Win+G game bar overlay and some other conveniences.

You also might find that performance is different, being in an app vs. the browser - the team will be eager to see everyone's feedback!

As an aside, holy cow, tell everyone involved with streaming that the experience right now is incredible. I can't even imagine the work involved, but there are whole games I've finished via streaming, with basically no trade-off as far as I'm concerned. The recent upgrade to "Series" hardware on the server-end was a huge jump in quality, too.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a different insider program than what I already have my Xbox in? Or will this work for me if I'm part of that already?

Just wondering if I have to join through something else on my PC to get this update.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As an aside, holy cow, tell everyone involved with streaming that the experience right now is incredible. I can't even imagine the work involved, but there are whole games I've finished via streaming, with basically no trade-off as far as I'm concerned. The recent upgrade to "Series" hardware on the server-end was a huge jump in quality, too.
Thank you, and great to hear. There's still a lot more work to do but the team is hyper aware of all the feedback folks share here, on Reddit, and other places. But most importantly of course is the feedback filed directly through the app :-)

Is this a different insider program than what I already have my Xbox in? Or will this work for me if I'm part of that already?

Just wondering if I have to join through something else on my PC to get this update.
You'll need to download the Xbox Insider Hub app on PC through the store, and then look for the "Windows Gaming preview" program. Separate from the console preview program.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
With the browser working so flawlessly for me I didn't see much reason to check out this app...

But now that I know console streaming is in, I'm eager to check it out.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, and great to hear. There's still a lot more work to do but the team is hyper aware of all the feedback folks share here, on Reddit, and other places. But most importantly of course is the feedback filed directly through the app :-)

You'll need to download the Xbox Insider Hub app on PC through the store, and then look for the "Windows Gaming preview" program. Separate from the console preview program.

Thank you! Signed up for the "Windows Gaming Preview" and was able to update the Xbox app within about 5 minutes.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What kind of insider? I'm on the windows 11 beta insider build. Do I need to be in something else? I'm also an Xbox insider edit: saw the posts above thank you

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice :D It is great to see official remote play support again on PC. It's the little button to the right of the search bar after the update.

For now the Xbox app remote play seems to support the store and BC games.

Last edited:

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I need to try the console streaming.
It worked really well for me with Xbox One but it was really bad with Series X and the Game Streaming beta app.
Cloud streaming worked better for me than in home streaming somehow.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Tried a few games and this definitely feels a lot better then playing trough edge i don't even notice any input lag which is kinda astounding considering how bad it felt in the browser, really nice.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It's very good on the browser already, at least with an ethernet cable I don't notice any lag issues, even with racing and twitchy games. Hopefully it can get as good as Stadia over wi-fi soon, and I'm waiting for that smart TV app.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Is anyone actually playing games via cloud yet or just testing that it works? The input delay and artifacting has been so bad for me on numerous occasions. I've tried households with 5ghz wifi, hotel wifis, 5G, etc. Never a smooth experience, obviously its in beta but hopefully we can get to a place where its smooth because I love this idea. We need to get to the point where it will work with 30mbps like stadia, because the real value here is on the go travel.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone actually playing games via cloud yet or just testing that it works? The input delay and artifacting has been so bad for me on numerous occasions. I've tried households with 5ghz wifi, hotel wifis, 5G, etc. Never a smooth experience, obviously its in beta but hopefully we can get to a place where its smooth because I love this idea. We need to get to the point where it will work with 30mbps like stadia, because the real value here is on the go travel.

I don't have an xbox and I don't have a gaming PC and I'm signed up to Game Pass Ultimate, playing through both Dishonored games, Forza Horizon , Forza 7, Lonely Mountains Downhill and Skyrim right now. All games work beautifully, I've put hours into all of them, and I completely forget that I'm playing through cloud. Mind you I'm using an ethernet cable connection.

I'm sure it will get better with wi-fi (it already has after switching to series x) and get to Stadia level and become viable on hotel wi-fis. But for me right now it's the way I play through the game pass library at home, without needing new hardware.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I played sea of thieves in a ride queue for a few minutes to test it out on 5g and it ran perfectly

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I don't have an xbox and I don't have a gaming PC and I'm signed up to Game Pass Ultimate, playing through both Dishonored games, Forza Horizon , Forza 7, Lonely Mountains Downhill and Skyrim right now. All games work beautifully, I've put hours into all of them, and I completely forget that I'm playing through cloud. Mind you I'm using an ethernet cable connection.

I'm sure it will get better with wi-fi (it already has after switching to series x) and get to Stadia level and become viable on hotel wi-fis. But for me right now it's the way I play through the game pass library at home, without needing new hardware.

Does it depend on the game? I've tried Yakuza and it definitely was not the experience you had, it was completely unplayable

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Does it depend on the game? I've tried Yakuza and it definitely was not the experience you had, it was completely unplayable

I haven't tried Yakuza. Forza Horizon was a stuttery mess until they upgraded that too to Series X. All other games I've tried have worked smoothly (on a wired connection).

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently played two games from start to finish and on a third one now. There are hiccups here and there. But overall, nothing that made me not want to play. Hopping to different devices depending on the need and picking up where you left off is great.

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021

Cool to know that some people are already using xCloud without actually owning the gaming hardware. I know that xCloud does not work for everyone right now, but it is cool to see the potential of game streaming. It will be great if people who cannot afford the hardware can still play the games. I have seen other people saying they were playing xCloud without owning any hardware, and I am surprised that at least some people are using it like this already.

Jun 17, 2018
Console streaming on the Windows app is good. I finished up Doom Eternal using that last year on my One X.

Too bad console streaming my Series X to my Huawei Mate 20 Pro is a disaster and freezes every couple of minutes. No matter what I do games seize up for a minute but I can still hear sound.

I've tried all sorts to fix it such as performance mode on my phone and dumping the app into game space, nothing works. I'm moving over to Apple soon, hopefully I don't have these weird issues there.

Jun 2, 2019
Just gave this a test drive. It works better than both web browser and phone. On my phone (LG K61) the input lag is noticeable, and via browser is a disaster for me.

Just finished the first mission of the Perfect Dark remaster. Less input lag than on my LG K61, but still noticeable. Series X Controller connected by using the official adapter

Oct 27, 2017
Just gave this a test drive. It works better than both web browser and phone. On my phone (LG K61) the input lag is noticeable, and via browser is a disaster for me.

Just finished the first mission of the Perfect Dark remaster. Less input lag than on my LG K61, but still noticeable. Series X Controller connected by using the official adapter
I agree, Halo 3 works noticeably better. Better IQ and less input lag.

Also no occasional lag spikes or the screen refreshing like on Chrome.

Jun 2, 2019
I agree, Halo 3 works noticeably better. Better IQ and less input lag.

Also no occasional lag spikes or the screen refreshing like on Chrome.

I have been paying Game Pass Ultimate waiting for this, honestly. Kinda reticent on getting a Xbox 360 to play everything i missed. This feels like a good alternative now.

Also, this means i would be finally be able to play from my laptop. Electricity bills are stupidly high here in my country, it would be sweet if i could avoid to play on my desktop from monday to friday