• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Former Microsoft exec will oversee launch of upcoming Intellivision Amico console this October
Intellivision Entertainment has announced a key hire in J Allard, who joins the firm as global managing director.

Allard is best known for the 20 years he spent at Microsoft, where he co-founded the Xbox project and was involved with the launch of the original console, the Xbox 360, Xbox Live and Xbox Live Arcade.

"Amico's vision speaks to me, not just because I grew up with Intellivision, but because I grew up playing with my family and friends," said Allard.

"Playing together is a timeless concept that I feel the video game industry has largely forgotten. The Intellivision team is deeply committed to bringing back shared fun and affordable gaming for everyone."

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
is this the tommy tallarico thing? that gameplay trailer they released a bit ago was just brutal. i can't even fathom what a path to success for something like this would look like

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Get some games that aren't looking mid-to-low XBLIG tier and you'll catch my attention. Until then this is all just hot air.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Come on, could they not have even hired a conference room to reveal their game?. Did they really have to do it in what looks like a storage cupboard?!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it's like Nintendo doesn't exist

Or a multitude of other games. It's just a statement aimed at older gamers who still think gaming peaked in the 80's, like this whole project has been. It's all based on completely untrue ideas. I've actually lost a lot of respect for Tallarico over this.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Speed up, Slow down!

I don´t understand what they are trying to do diferent from the others, because they also have accesible games out there (Nintendo has lots).

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
is this the tommy tallarico thing?
Yep.

that gameplay trailer they released a bit ago was just brutal. i can't even fathom what a path to success for something like this would look like
If there was a path to success it'd probably look like a slow grind, with low initial sales and gradually building word of mouth as people encountered the machine in social settings and somehow the games were enough to convince them to buy one for themselves.

I don't think that path ever realistically existed though. I think the team behind this have overestimated the popularity of local multiplayer a bit, and underestimated how well existing consoles already cater to people who like local multiplayer - it's definitely not the focus of most games, but with consoles having literally thousands of games, there's sufficient games with local multiplayer that very few people are going to feel the need to buy a US$250 console.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
If he shows it off while wearing a hoodie and blazer combo, I'm in.

I was in a pitch meeting once and referenced a character, wearing a wearing a hoodie and blazer combo, as being "JJ Allard" like and NO ONE knew what the fuck I was talking about.

I then went on to explain the legend of JJ Allard and everyone was extremely underwhelmed by it.

I don't know what I was thinking with that one.....

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It seems like a neat idea with a few cool looking titles, but man for $250 it's just too much. Maybe if it were like a $100ish. I wonder if more games will come, too? Have they announced plans to like update it or is what's on the system all there will be? Haven't been following it closely

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that the decision makers in these supposed local multiplayer-less households are parents who definitely don't want to have to buy a new game system, let alone one they've never heard of.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, it's a nonsensical statement all around actually
Yep, these are the guys who said that this console would do 2D better than the PS5, which was just meaningless gibberish in the context of modern hardware - it read like a post from a games forum in 1997 or something.

It seems like a neat idea with a few cool looking titles, but man for $250 it's just too much. Maybe if it were like a $100ish. I wonder if more games will come, too? Have they announced plans to like update it or is what's on the system all there will be? Haven't been following it closely
It's the standard model, for as long as the can keep going with it - new games available on an online storefront of some kind on a regular basis. They say 40 games at launch.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
The only way the Amico makes sense is if it turns out it's a Gizmondo style money laundering scheme

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Come on, could they not have even hired a conference room to reveal their game?. Did they really have to do it in what looks like a storage cupboard?!

This is incredibly sad. Just a guy in a supply closet with a washed-out screen making extremely sure that we all know that an unimpressive game only uses two buttons.

The whole Amico situation is like a Shark Tank pitch where it's clear that the person pitching the project is way too close to it, but nobody can get through to them, no matter how harsh they are. Except they somehow keep dragging other people who should know better into it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's the standard model, for as long as the can keep going with it - new games available on an online storefront of some kind on a regular basis. They say 40 games at launch.

Well, 40 games in one package is not 100% terrible for $250 I suppose if most of them are decent. More than I expected. Will have to see what the run down is on them when they launch

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
J "no period" Allard

I remember how Tommy Tallerico used to rip good games apart in his reviews, and here he is promoting this.

The name is the game is silly too as the type of crashes aren't sideswipes....

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I for one actually kinda like Tomy, but man, 250$ is just delusional. If they cut some features and released it for 100$ maybe it would've stood a chance.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

This is...dismal. Tallarico spends such an incredibly long time excitingly detailing how you can both speed up and slow down, it seems like everyone is pretending that they're having fun, and a lot of what Tallarico says is just weird. He's enthusiastic about the idea that players have basic abilities to participate even after being knocked out, comparing to that a "typical game" where once you get "smashed into", they're out...but I can't recall the last time I played a racing game that worked that way. They nearly all let you continue racing (and the genre-leading multiplayer racing game gives you better bonuses the further behind you are). He's imagining things.

Then of course he goes on to remark that "just for the record...the girl's beating all of you", as if that was something unusual, worth commenting on.

What a mess this is.

Well, 40 games in one package is not 100% terrible for $250 I suppose if most of them are decent. More than I expected. Will have to see what the run down is on them when they launch
40 is the number of games available at launch, not pre-loaded. The site for this machine says six games will be pre-loaded, without saying which games they'll be, so anyone buying it gets those six and then there's more on the store (each costing US$9.99 or below, again according to the official site).

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
My favorite Allard moment is when in one of MS's Apple-esque product videos for the 360 he said..

"The design of the Xbox 360 was inspired by an inhale..."

Turd Ferguson

Jan 13, 2020
I respect the hustle. Just sad to see literal Xbox royalty attach his name to Tommy Tallarico's delusional vanity project.
It's so refreshing to see a moderator speak the truth like this. Your counterpart on AtariAge likes to ban anyone who doesn't act like a jockstrap for Tommy's ego.

What do they hope to gain by bringing on yet another irrelevant has-been? What can Allard do without the clout of Microsoft's wallet to catch him when he falls? Another Zune? They aren't as innovative as they think they are. Here's Allard quoted in 2004, talking about simplicity in games. "But maybe there are two different control sets. Maybe we rebirth the Atari 2600 joystick and there's a most in every game, or most games, that supports just the fire button and eight-way pad."

That was said before mobile gaming was a thing and casual, indie titles were everywhere.

The only way the Amico makes sense is if it turns out it's a Gizmondo style money laundering scheme
Yep. They'd better be having fun, because they're certainly not going to get rich.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Personally I think it's fine to compete with Nintendo for the family market and younger demographic. However I think time has moved on. Minecraft exists. Mario exists. Heck the wii is still under my tv because my 5yr old loves it.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I've actually only heard good things about J Allard, so I'm not sure why he's ended up here. Maybe I've not heard enough.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Also I have to say that I would play the heck out of the horizontal arkanoid game.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing says brand recognition like Intellivision, that random thing my dad would reference from his childhood when playing games with me as a kid
What the hell is the thought process