Xbox E3 2019 Briefing |OT| E3 Only on Xbox.

RCU005

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Spot on brother, spot on couldn't have said it better myself. I've been an avid Xbox centric fan since the OG Xbox but now more than ever it is clear they've lost perspective on what their core base wants and why Sony continues to deliver where they need to and that is Creative AAA Blockbuster exclusives.
It's clear that Microsoft want to say they have the games. They don't care where from at all. They say they hav more than 60 games on their briefing but we all knew that most of them were going to be indie games or games that are not worth it.

Sony keeps investing in AAA experiences and not just trying to get on the quantity. Sony's conferences focus more on first party games or direct deals, than just presenting every game they can just to say they showed the most amount of games. Most of the games from MS briefing will come to the PS4 anyway.

Shao Kahn

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Outworld
I can't believe they barely showed any gameplay demo. Everything was a trailer, and when gameplay was teased by those WWE stars playing it, it was cut right away.

Barely any direct and uncut gameplay shown.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
A few too many pre-rendered or "cinematic" trailers for some notable games (Gears 5, Cyberpunk, to name a couple) that do very little to excite me nowadays, when it comes to AAA games, but otherwise a good conference. Not a fan of MS (or any console manufacturer) acquiring Double Fine (don't like huge companies absorbing smaller ones into themselves altogether) but I guess it's understandable. Being a decent size independent game development studio nowadays is a nearly impossible position to be in, so I understand wanting the financial security. I just wished they wouldn't be in that kind of position but I understand their decision.

stealthyfrog

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
I can't believe they barely showed any gameplay demo. Everything was a trailer, and when gameplay was teased by those WWE stars playing it, it was cut right away.

Barely any direct and uncut gameplay shown.
Yeah, that was a bad surprise. Microsoft had a bunch of extended gameplay demos last year. I wonder why they changed their approach. The new strategy didn't work that well imo

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Well that was underwhelming. Some how it was worse than last year conference and every one was hoping it to be best e3 conference

Bruceleeroy

Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I personally thought it was good.

There is a reason I started the tweet the way I did. I think one of the issues that I didn't forsee was the lack of gameplay. That was weird. Also I think the barrage of leaks, such as Elden Ring and other stuff took away some of the surprises from the conference.

Best conference?
I would say its on the absolute other end of the spectrum and lets say it didn't leak you thought rumors of:

- New Gears gameplay
- New Halo gameplay
- Battletoads
Frick I don't even remember what else

You thought without seeing footage of anything you could hype that up as one of the best conferences ever? I mean by all means stick your neck out but I would have waited for actually something exciting. That lineup is probably written on most desks across most middle schools in the US.

This is why you can't trust people hyping stuff. They don't know sheet

Elden Ring could have been amazing though.

nanskee

Oct 31, 2017
I will rate it 7-7.5/10. No surprises really, only a few games are up my ally (halo, forza, ori, 12 minutes, Spiritfarer). Great Gamepass, announcements. Otherwise meh it was okay

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Best conference?
I would say its on the absolute other end of the spectrum and lets say it didn't leak you thought rumors of:

- New Gears gameplay
- New Halo gameplay
- Battletoads
Frick I don't even remember what else

You thought without seeing footage of anything you could hype that up as one of the best conferences ever? I mean by all means stick your neck out but I would have waited for actually something exciting. That lineup is probably written on most desks across most middle schools in the US.

This is why you can't trust people hyping stuff. They don't know sheet

Elden Ring could have been amazing though.
It was a fairly tame conference, surprisingly so. Yeah definitely not the best anything, the E3 conference from a year or two ago was way better.

Cosmo Kramer

Oct 28, 2017
México
My main problem with MS is the have been all talk and no show for what? 5 years now? There is no excuse for that, absolutely none, on top of that they seem to be all over the place every year in terms pf their message. This conference filled with loud music, celebrities and a bunch of CG reminded me of bad conferences from two gens ago, it’s like they ran out of ideas and are now rehashing old ideas that even back then didn’t work

TheIlliterati

Oct 28, 2017
One of the talking heads during the Scarlett part literally said "The SSD combined with the Solid State Drive..." and I realized they were just bullshitting.

I really enjoyed the Gamepass/smaller game announcements though.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly just a 5 min campaign demo of gears would have been enough.

Altho people hyped themselves up with banjo and nintendo stuff so this conference was doomed the second that Miyamoto rumor popped up.

nanskee

Oct 31, 2017
One of the talking heads during the Scarlett part literally said "The SSD combined with the Solid State Drive..." and I realized they were just bullshitting.

I really enjoyed the Gamepass/smaller game announcements though.
I thought i was the dumb one, maybe I am. SSD and the solid state drive, lmao

edit: OH he said SoC lmaooo

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Just reading the headlines seems it wasn't very surprising. Recap from main stuff from last year with little surprises.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly just a 5 min campaign demo of gears would have been enough.

Altho people hyped themselves up with banjo and nintendo stuff so this conference was doomed the second that Miyamoto rumor popped up.
In the age of Twitch, why put stilted demos on stage when you can have real-time, real-people gameplay at your fingertips? If the same trailers ran, say, during the Game Awards, they'd be awesome. I'm not sure I get the difference. Everyone wants snappy and game, game, game. game. And then when we get that, the other people are crabby about it. Can't win for everyone at the same time.

I liked it. Pace was awesome, and it kept things moving. Never two minutes from the next thing. Had to pee the whole last third and there wasn't a break. Have the whole week (or year in many cases) to hit the deep dive in the games I'm interested in, but this way didn't have to sit through 5-10 minutes of something I'm not.

The entire theme of BOTH Sony and MS in 2019 is selling potential. I saw a lot of potential there.

Oct 25, 2017
Insiders hyping this fell flat on their faces. I'm legitimately shocked we didn't get an extended campaign gameplay segment for Gears 5 .

shark97

Nov 7, 2017
My probably incomplete thoughts on the conference (I only got to watch maybe 30 minutes of live, so this is after digesting the reset era threads for a little while). I'm probably missing some awesome indie game I'll discover later or something.

-none of the indie games I've noticed struck my fancy, but I haven't exactly studied this exhaustingly.
-Gears 5 footage I've seen hasn't been amazing, need campaign footage.
-Halo Infinite trailer wasn't gameplay. But at least we got a concrete date...far away.
-Cyberpunk gets a closer than expected date, Keanu is cool I guess, kinda weird flex but OK.

Dont care TOO much about any of that, main thing is they said project scarlett is FOUR TIMES XBOX ONE X. Which is already a beast. Even if they were using fuzzy math and it's really only 2X, it's still ridiculous.

That makes it all a success. Yikes.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Harsh but ridiculously accurate.

Not even just about Sony but Google Stadia too. Their next-gen segment and xCloud segment was basically a whole lot of nothing. They could have raised the roof with the xCloud after Stadia didn’t bring the goods. It’s crazy how big of a missed opportunity this is because Sony is going to be at E3 next year and bringing the stockpiled gunpowder barrels with them.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The show was alright I guess, just very underwhelming more than anything.

Lots of multiplatform games but apart from the Cyberpunk / Keanu segment, which was the highlight, there just wasn't any other big wow moments.

No big new 1st party exclusives, no timed exclusives, no 3rd party exclusives, no Gears gameplay, lots of CG trailers.....

I'd give it a generous C-

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at this, Phil was so PROUD that he had scored more games than ever.

60 games. 10 more than last year, but what did we get this year? CGI trailers, not enough gameplay by far. Not even from the big AAA first-party games. So the lesson here Phil, is listen to the feedback get humble and instead of patting yourself of the head next year when there are 70 games in 100 minutes, think about the sacrifices that are made for you to say those words and make the crowd cheer for some arbritrary number. Less is honestly more. Reduce the number of games and provide more extended gameplay demos that make us “wow” rather than simply confused about what this game is meant to be or frustrated because the last thing we want from Cyberpunk 2077 is a cutscene.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I thought the conference was pretty good. PC gamepass is neat. Everything coming to PC, combined with what looks like honest effort to engage the PC audience, is exciting.

Not a lot of gameplay, but the Elden Ring CG trailer was cool.

Oracle

Nov 7, 2017
I for one understand the situation we are in with the transition to the new generation of hardware. This cases a weird void in reveals as most big budget IP and AAA titles are in early development for holiday 2020.

I give Microsoft respect for this conference. Why? because its what WE want. WE want the E3 excitement and the big stage shows that typically accompany it. Was this a good show? no, not really but that isnt the point. They did the best with what they have and what they can realistically show RIGHT NOW. Their direct competitor didn't even show up for the reasons stated above.

I consider this conference a fan service and they do not deserve criticism because we have NOTHING to criticize it against at this E3 2019. Thanks Phil !

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
In the age of Twitch, why put stilted demos on stage when you can have real-time, real-people gameplay at your fingertips? If the same trailers ran, say, during the Game Awards, they'd be awesome. I'm not sure I get the difference. Everyone wants snappy and game, game, game. game. And then when we get that, the other people are crabby about it. Can't win for everyone at the same time.
IIf they wanted to keep things snappy and just show CGI, at least put stingers on each of them saying extended gameplay demo can be found on YouTube, Twitch, Mixr, anywhere. Or Phil should have come out and said. People are just going to walk away uninterested at a bunch of CGI than a teaser of what the real game looks like and where people can go to see more.

When I couldn't even get interested in what they showed of Cyberpunk 2077, then you know you've got problems.

Betty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I for one understand the situation we are in with the transition to the new generation of hardware. This cases a weird void in reveals as most big budget IP and AAA titles are in early development for holiday 2020.

I give Microsoft respect for this conference. Why? because its what WE want. WE want the E3 excitement and the big stage shows that typically accompany it. Was this a good show? no, not really but that isnt the point. They did the best with what they have and what they can realistically show RIGHT NOW. Their direct competitor didn't even show up for the reasons stated above.

I consider this conference a fan service and they do not deserve criticism because we have NOTHING to criticize it against at this E3 2019. Thanks Phil !
Utter nonsense, we can compare it to last year which was better and for not having any gameplay trailers for it's big titles.

Jun 7, 2019
Ori looked amazing
As did Psychonauts 2

Honestly, that is all I saw that is exclusive to MS that intrigued me at this time. Funny enough, both showed more gameplay in their trailers, which may not be a coincidence

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Was good to watch but they could have skipped it like sony. I don’t think we did get anything exciting out of it.

Betty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Your right, we should be be demanding, greedy and unappreciated with the show. Fuck em right?
They got raked over the coals back in the early Xbox One days for releasing mostly cinematics over gameplay, no reason we can't complain when they start to pull the same shit again.

I appreciated some things, like Elden Ring and a release date for Cyberpunk, but I'm allowed to criticise a disappointing conference all I want.

Oracle

Nov 7, 2017
They got raked over the coals back in the early Xbox One days for releasing mostly cinematics over gameplay, no reason we can't complain when they start to pull the same shit again.

I appreciated some things, like Elden Ring and a release date for Cyberpunk, but I'm allowed to criticise a disappointing conference all I want.

Absolutely, and this conference wasn't good by any means. Criticism in the PAST came from direct comparisons to other main stage conferences. This year is bare bones basic. Microsoft could have easily skipped this year like Sony but they showed up to entertain us, at least give us some E3 magic that we all love. Sony was a big FU to us. A bad conference will always be better than no conference at all.

Betty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, and this conference wasn't good by any means. Criticism in the PAST came from direct comparisons to other main stage conferences. This year is bare bones basic. Microsoft could have easily skipped this year like Sony but they showed up to entertain us, at least give us some E3 magic that we all love. Sony was a big FU to us. A bad conference will always be better than no conference at all.
Death Stranding had a better trailer, that included gameplay, than anything I saw at Microsoft's E3.

I was ready for Xbox to wow me and I came away more disillusioned with the brand than ever.

Oracle

Nov 7, 2017
Death Stranding had a better trailer, that included gameplay, than anything I saw at Microsoft's E3.

I was ready for Xbox to wow me and I came away more disillusioned with the brand than ever.
sure, I agree

but I was simply saying I am happy we got a conference from them, even if it was low quality.

harSon

Oct 30, 2017
I have to imagine that Microsoft is having an X0 event later this year. It wouldn’t make sense to randomly have one last year after so long, if they didn’t plan to make it a regular annual thing.

Gridlock

Oct 25, 2017
Unova
Is there not a Bethesda E3 thread? I want to complain about that fucker who has been screaming YEAH!!!!! Through out the whole fucking show.

You can tell his check from Bethesda cleared.

Betty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
sure, I agree

but I was simply saying I am happy we got a conference from them, even if it was low quality.
Well if that's what you want, more power to you.

If they'd just given some extended gameplay demo's like we got from Sony last year i'd have been fairly satisfied.