Xbox E3 2019 Briefing |OT| E3 Only on Xbox.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Nothing for me from Xbox Studios, sadly.

There were actually some solid game announcements from third parties, but the leaks took the excitement away.

Conference seemed underwhelming to most people, it seems.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Charlotte NC
I’m trying to figure out what y’all really expected from a transitional E3. No one is dropping megatons for a console that doesn’t officially exist yet. The Xbox One is hitting its swan song status. What we’ve seen is the same reason Sony likely decided not to come this year. There really was nothing to show.

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't really impressed with the show but I will get GamePass when Halo Infinite launches if it's good.

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
So we're all in agreement that Spiritfairer was the most interesting game shown, yeah?

Only alternative I will accept is that Deer game

tutomos

Oct 27, 2017
I actually respect MS showing up because without them all we left with is Bethesda. Without them E3 will be boring.

However will it hurt them just to show more gameplay like they did in years past?

sev7en

Jun 9, 2019
A lot of titles for sure but... I didn't see anything so strong to bring me to the next.

Looking forward for a standard, common, traditional event where gameplay and players are on the controllers.

About the new Scarlet... too early, too early just to answer to STADIA.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
No you just won’t listen. I’m telling you that death stranding wasn’t revealed with gameplay. In fact, it showed off like 4 trailers over 2-3 years without gameplay
So in the second year it had gameplay. It’s not that I am not listening it is that you’re not presenting facts and have changed your arguments.

It wasn’t revealed with trailer now? Of course it wasn’t, the dude didn’t even have a fully built studio. E3 2016 was when it was announced and in 2018 2 years later is when it showed gameplay. In its third year 2019 they showed more gameplay.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It was a good show. But with little new to offer that interested me. Above all it was too much CG and too little gameplay. Why no Gears 5 gameplay? Cyberpunk looks way better now than before, though, and Halo Infinite is a must buy, so smart of them to make it a launch title for Scarlett (I expected it to be cross gen, but they said nothing of an Xbox One version so Ibguess that's out?). A bit disappointed we didn't hear a word from The Initiative, a working title and a logo would've sufficed.

Overall it's clear they're done with Xbox One now and are letting third parties handle what time is left. I don't buy that Scarlett is four times more powerful than Xbox One X meaning 24 teraflops, they have to mean something else (or being creative when they compare).

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wow. Just punching into the thread for the first time and shocked to see so much negativity. I loved it and saw multiple games I would buy, but happily learned they were coming to GamePass.
I think it's because MS said they were going all out and they didn't really deliver any surprises or big wow moments.

They didn't even show off Gears 5 gameplay, their biggest game this year and it's out in 3 months.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Gears showing and Halo showing was dissapointing.

I was dehyped from what they showed, just seemed like they went backwards from their previous trailers for some reason. Showing less of the games and teasing story that honestly wasn’t interesting.

Ori trailer was badass though, and Kenanu Reeves reveal pretty cool. But honestly I thought their show last year was much better.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Haven’t seen a thread for it so I’m gonna throw it a shoutout:

Way to the Woods was the indie game that stood out the most to me. I love the music in this trailer.

Pagoto93

Nov 3, 2017
I’m trying to figure out what y’all really expected from a transitional E3. No one is dropping megatons for a console that doesn’t officially exist yet. The Xbox One is hitting its swan song status. What we’ve seen is the same reason Sony likely decided not to come this year. There really was nothing to show.
Agreed. Thought it was poor but understandably poor. Only thing you can really blame them for is the awful way they handled Gears.

Feorax

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned it briefly during the presser, but I do think it’s time Phil stepped away from the stage. It just sounds like he’s saying exactly the same things every year.

In fact, every time a Microsoft exec stepped onto the stage was a hype killer.

Classicrock78

Oct 27, 2017
I really want that elite 2 controller but i bet they will add a white version or game type version like the red gears or forza version.

Chaz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, UK
Halo looked visually unimpressive for a next-gen game. Cyberpunk actually looked 10x better which is a multiplat title.
You've got to be fucking kidding me.
The Cyberpunk trailer was CGI, first of all until the very end where you saw a very noticeable difference in visual quality. The Halo Infinite footage was all in engine.
In addition to that, the Halo footage showed us incredible ray traced shadows, fantastic IQ and facial animations and seamless camera work(ala God of War 2018). You have no idea what you're talking about clearly.

May 25, 2018
I have to say the Lego car was a nice touch. Microsoft has gotten dunked on hard for years for putting a car on stage but they finally did it right.

Xbox is just oozing with internal change. I've honestly never had so much hope in a company. The turn around is amazing.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't manage to catch the conference but seemed like a good selection of games showcased in a rather shallow way. Very little gameplay is pretty disappointing. The next gen system seems impressive, but the intro was bare bones.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.
The Cyberpunk trailer was CGI, first of all until the very end where you saw a very noticeable difference in visual quality. The Halo Infinite footage was all in engine.
In addition to that, the Halo footage showed us incredible ray traced shadows, fantastic IQ and facial animations and seamless camera work(ala God of War 2018). You have no idea what you're talking about clearly.
The assets and geometry looked about in line with other AAA FPS game this gen, but that is not surprising as it is cross gen. I didn't find the facial animation or character models as impressive as I expected, however. It doesn't look a step up from current gen, but then it is effectively current gen.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Bit of a sad E3 this time around. No Sony, and Microsoft's presentation wasn't all that much either. I usually watch them live but I could have avoided getting up around 6am this morning to watch it in Australia, as I felt nothing all that much was said and still nothing of Banjo like some have been hyping up.

Chaz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, UK
The assets and geometry looked about in line with other AAA FPS game this gen, but that is not surprising as it is cross gen. I didn't find the facial animation or character models as impressive as I expected, however. It doesn't look a step up from current gen, but then it is effectively current gen.
You're not paying attention to the tech being showcased in the footage then. The lighting itself was vastly superior to what we get from video games this gen (a specific example: when Chiefs body is released onto the ship and the lamp light nearby bounces up and down from the impact). I imagine Digital Foundry will make a video for this footage, and rightly so, so keep an eye out for that.

You're simply wrong in your take that this looks like a current gen game, sorry.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I wasn't overwhelmed by Microsoft's briefing in terms of games. There was a lot of decent stuff in there but most of it either said 2020 or didn't have a release date.

As I said previously, I wasn't hugely impressed by the Halo Infinite trailer for a couple of reasons. Firstly, in-engine footage doesn't mean in-game and secondly I'd hoped to be more wowed by the next generation - but that could just be I'm expecting too much. However there are a couple of caveats to that in that the game isn't due for around 18 months and the devs won't have anything like final hardware to work off and also they've only shown a very small, enclosed area which won't be indicative of the final game if it's going to be open world.

The big thing for me though was the big push of the Game Pass. Regardless of whether the final Scarlett hardware is better or worse than the PS5 I think that's going to be the big differentiator between the two companies - unless Sony pull their finger out. If at the end of next year MS can say "Ok, we may not have the most powerful system but for £10pm you will have access to a huge range of current and previous generation games." then Sony would need a pretty convincing argument to not, at the very least, buy one as a second system.

As someone who for the first time hasn't bought an Xbox console this generation I'll probably end up getting one in the next sale. There's just too many quality titles that are available now for it not to be a good value proposition.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
The showcase was....ordinary. It felt similar to Sony's E3 2017 press conference. Expectation grows larger than reality and people walk away disappointed. These hype trains need serious regulation from now on.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Halo looked visually unimpressive for a next-gen game.
That was my first impression. Then I realised the lighting was absolutely unbelievable, check out the scene where master chief has just been retrieved and the light is shining on him, and the dude behind moves out of the shadow. Absolutely insane quality. That plus little things like smoke effects. Really was impressive.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's show was good, and suffered immensely from stuff leaking. I think people saying Microsoft fumbled had impossible expectations.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
I mentioned it briefly during the presser, but I do think it’s time Phil stepped away from the stage. It just sounds like he’s saying exactly the same things every year. In fact, every time a Microsoft exec stepped onto the stage was a hype killer.
Strongly agree. I think Phil made the correct decision to cut out as much talking as possible. It all sounded a bit....repetitive. The biggest mistake, for me, was not showing enough gameplay.

I hope for quality over quantity in 2020. Slow things down and take your time with it.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't overwhelmed by Microsoft's briefing in terms of games. There was a lot of decent stuff in there but most of it either said 2020 or didn't have a release date.

As I said previously, I wasn't hugely impressed by the Halo Infinite trailer for a couple of reasons. Firstly, in-engine footage doesn't mean in-game and secondly I'd hoped to be more wowed by the next generation - but that could just be I'm expecting too much. However there are a couple of caveats to that in that the game isn't due for around 18 months and the devs won't have anything like final hardware to work off and also they've only shown a very small, enclosed area which won't be indicative of the final game if it's going to be open world.

The big thing for me though was the big push of the Game Pass. Regardless of whether the final Scarlett hardware is better or worse than the PS5 I think that's going to be the big differentiator between the two companies - unless Sony pull their finger out. If at the end of next year MS can say "Ok, we may not have the most powerful system but for £10pm you will have access to a huge range of current and previous generation games." then Sony would need a pretty convincing argument to not, at the very least, buy one as a second system.

As someone who for the first time hasn't bought an Xbox console this generation I'll probably end up getting one in the next sale. There's just too many quality titles that are available now for it not to be a good value proposition.
I bought an Xbox for halo 2 one for halo 3 and a one used to play mcc. Infinite isn’t selling me on a new Xbox. I don’t think halo sells it anymore. I wish it did. I think people used to think man I wonder what halo will look like on Xbox 360 or one maybe. But halo atmosphere feels absent now. This felt closer than 4 or 5. Halo doesn’t have a visual pedigree and they lost the fan base imo. Wonder if that team has more say than others on what the nextbox needs or is good enough.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
You're not paying attention to the tech being showcased in the footage then. The lighting itself was vastly superior to what we get from video games this gen (a specific example: when Chiefs body is released onto the ship and the lamp light nearby bounces up and down from the impact). I imagine Digital Foundry will make a video for this footage, and rightly so, so keep an eye out for that.

You're simply wrong in your take that this looks like a current gen game, sorry.
You point to one technical feature and then state that makes the game look beyond anything this gen. Just like in any device, there is the quality of various components and how that comes together into a tangible product. I think the trailer shows other areas which don't particularly stand out relative to other upcoming games. Character models for instance in DS impressive me a lot more. Better use of geometry, better skin shading, better use of lighting, etc. That is not to say this still doesn't look very good, but the game itself looks par for the course. Your counter claim based on one specific technical component doesn't hold water for me. That is like saying Quake 2 RTX looks current gen because it is using some modern tech. This looks current gen with some elements using more advanced tech.