• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Yikes people complaining about no gameplay when they've done gameplay for several years and people complain about it dragging on with people playing the games live on stage. You can't have it both ways.
Compare this to Xbox's entire 2019 E3 conference

Gears 5 should have got this treatment at least

Microsoft sold me on the Ultimate Gamepass. What a fucking steal! Almost every game they showed impressed me and almost every single one of them was included in the gamepass. That being said, Microsoft really fumbled this "Scarlett" announcement. Mark Cerny in an interview out of nowhere was able to make the PS5 sound interesting, fresh, and exciting. Microsoft had the chance to squash that and they essentially shared no details. They could've just waited until E3 2020 if this was all they were going to show. I was expecting Microsoft to come out swinging and yet they couldn't even give us a demo like the Spider-Man PS5 SSD test. Very disappointing because Microsoft had the opportunity to launch themselves past PlayStation and they just fell flat.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So... no surprises at all? There were a few leaks but still. I miss the days of being genuinely blown away by something. The only possibility for me this year would have been Elden Ring.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
But we didn't actually see the Scarlett, and Xcloud was already introduced last year.
True, "something" implies thing, not person so probably wasn't Keanu Miyamoto, it might have just been for the LEGO car, lol.
Was probably still Scarlet though or something got cut last minute. There was zero chance they'd actually have shown the box, it probably isn't even finalized yet.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Me trying to recall what I just learned about Project Scarlett.

vFO8en2.gif

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
So aside from:

Blair Witch
Forza 4 LEGO Expansion
Gears 5
Borderlands 3

Were there any other games with a 2019 release date? It seemed all the games they showed were 2020.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
You got the feeling they were desperate to point out how they had '60 games to show' and didn't want the conference to last 3 hours so I guess it meant not showing much gameplay.
That's not a valid reason at all, because the problem wasn't needing more time. Rather, it was using the time already allotted.

The Halo Infinite segment was nothing but a complete waste of time and the Gears 5 segment was similarly embarrassing. I don't need to see a full match of Escape from Gears 5, put together a highlight trailer of 90 to 120 seconds showcasing what is supposed to be the killer new addition to a game that is releasing in three months. Gears 5 had a great trailer last year that surprisingly impressed me and interested me, and to a much lesser extent, Halo Infinite the same - how do you go from that to what we saw this year? What was the point of the introductory CG Gears 5 trailer this year that, if anything, diminishes the mystery and subtlety set-up by last year's trailer?

It's telling of the developers involved, and likely points to why these franchises aren't what they used to be, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, Microsoft did an excellent job selling their two current killer apps in Xbox Gamepass and Forza Horizon. Time wasn't the issue.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 for me.

Was a good conference but had significant drawbacks imo.

Gears 5 and Halo Infinite had really poor showings relative to their awesome trailers last year. Cyberpunk really didn't show much and From's game was interesting.

I really wish they had gameplay in the show instead of just trailer after trailer. Project Scarlett could have also had a few more minutes dedicated to it imo.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
A bit disappointing there was very little gameplay (no actual gameplay feeds, just brief glimpses like the minecraft trailer,) but as a gamepass subscriber, especially with ultimate/pc, I absolutely loved it.

Oct 28, 2017
True, "something" implies thing, not person so probably wasn't Keanu Miyamoto, it might have just been for the LEGO car, lol.
Was probably still Scarlet though or something got cut last minute. There was zero chance they'd actually have shown the box, it probably isn't even finalized yet.

Lego looked genuinely fun. Forza always delivers. It's the one xbox franchise I truly adore.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I can't have been the only one to notice they said "the most powerful console 'we' ever built" when referring to Scarlett instead of just "the most powerful console ever"

Seems highly likely the PS5 will be within spitting distance of Scarlett or at the very least whatever power differences there are will be minimal.

Which is good news for everyone really.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Overall I give it a 6 or so. It was fine but this thing was hyped up beyond belief and it was again, fine. PSO 2 was about the only real big surprise and that game doesn't really interest me anyway. Flight Simulator on my Xbox was about the biggest thing for me since most of the stuff shown I'll get on a different platform.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
There is no winning for Sony/MS/Nintendo, show a game early and some will be annoyed: "they are showing games to early, don't show them until they are ready!" or hold back your games until close to release and some (like you I guess) will say: "but what will I be playing in two years? I need to know!". My advice is to chill, Sony is not gonna announce PS5 games until they have a "proper" unveiling of the PS5, until then you know they have TLOU2, Death Standing and GoT as AAA releases.

I said this based on the notion that people are saying Sony was WINNING by doing nothing, not that I didn't have any faith in Sony at all. I'm annoyed, but that annoyance has mostly been that they've stretched hype for their line up for half a decade on stuff they showed in 2015 and 2016, while people simultaneously get mad that the competition isn't releasing hit after hit all 12 months of the year. I didn't even like two of their biggest games this generation (God of War and Days Gone), and two of their most celebrated announcements from that year don't even have projected release dates AND aren't even technically theirs (FF7 and Shenmue). Combine it with how they've lagged behind services like Games Pass and been obstructive on Cross Play in flagrant defiance to the standard being set by the rest of the industry? I need more than the "promise" that Sony is going to own bones to be excited for their future, let alone think they "won" a trade show they didn't even attend. My actual notion is "concerned/wary based on past precedent".

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can't have been the only one to notice they said "the most powerful console 'we' ever built" when referring to Scarlett instead of just "the most powerful console ever"

Seems highly likely the PS5 will be within spitting distance of Scarlett or at the very least whatever power differences there are will be minimal.

Which is good news for everyone really.

That's always going to be the case though. Both companies use the same supplier for their main chip (AMD) and are aiming for a similar price point. The only reason the Pro/X are so different is mostly down to the year's gap between them and the Premium price MS went for, but 2 companies releasing the same console in the same month is always going to be pretty much identical. No one should be shocked at that.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Spot on brother, spot on couldn't have said it better myself. I've been an avid Xbox centric fan since the OG Xbox but now more than ever it is clear they've lost perspective on what their core base wants and why Sony continues to deliver where they need to and that is Creative AAA Blockbuster exclusives.

It's clear that Microsoft want to say they have the games. They don't care where from at all. They say they hav more than 60 games on their briefing but we all knew that most of them were going to be indie games or games that are not worth it.

Sony keeps investing in AAA experiences and not just trying to get on the quantity. Sony's conferences focus more on first party games or direct deals, than just presenting every game they can just to say they showed the most amount of games. Most of the games from MS briefing will come to the PS4 anyway.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I can't believe they barely showed any gameplay demo. Everything was a trailer, and when gameplay was teased by those WWE stars playing it, it was cut right away.

Barely any direct and uncut gameplay shown.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
A few too many pre-rendered or "cinematic" trailers for some notable games (Gears 5, Cyberpunk, to name a couple) that do very little to excite me nowadays, when it comes to AAA games, but otherwise a good conference. Not a fan of MS (or any console manufacturer) acquiring Double Fine (don't like huge companies absorbing smaller ones into themselves altogether) but I guess it's understandable. Being a decent size independent game development studio nowadays is a nearly impossible position to be in, so I understand wanting the financial security. I just wished they wouldn't be in that kind of position but I understand their decision.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I can't believe they barely showed any gameplay demo. Everything was a trailer, and when gameplay was teased by those WWE stars playing it, it was cut right away.

Barely any direct and uncut gameplay shown.
Yeah, that was a bad surprise. Microsoft had a bunch of extended gameplay demos last year. I wonder why they changed their approach. The new strategy didn't work that well imo

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Well that was underwhelming. Some how it was worse than last year conference and every one was hoping it to be best e3 conference

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I personally thought it was good.

There is a reason I started the tweet the way I did. I think one of the issues that I didn't forsee was the lack of gameplay. That was weird. Also I think the barrage of leaks, such as Elden Ring and other stuff took away some of the surprises from the conference.

Best conference?
I would say its on the absolute other end of the spectrum and lets say it didn't leak you thought rumors of:

- New Gears gameplay
- New Halo gameplay
- Battletoads
Frick I don't even remember what else

You thought without seeing footage of anything you could hype that up as one of the best conferences ever? I mean by all means stick your neck out but I would have waited for actually something exciting. That lineup is probably written on most desks across most middle schools in the US.

This is why you can't trust people hyping stuff. They don't know sheet

Elden Ring could have been amazing though.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I will rate it 7-7.5/10. No surprises really, only a few games are up my ally (halo, forza, ori, 12 minutes, Spiritfarer). Great Gamepass, announcements. Otherwise meh it was okay