• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Best conference?
I would say its on the absolute other end of the spectrum and lets say it didn't leak you thought rumors of:

- New Gears gameplay
- New Halo gameplay
- Battletoads
Frick I don't even remember what else

You thought without seeing footage of anything you could hype that up as one of the best conferences ever? I mean by all means stick your neck out but I would have waited for actually something exciting. That lineup is probably written on most desks across most middle schools in the US.

This is why you can't trust people hyping stuff. They don't know sheet

Elden Ring could have been amazing though.
It was a fairly tame conference, surprisingly so. Yeah definitely not the best anything, the E3 conference from a year or two ago was way better.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
My main problem with MS is the have been all talk and no show for what? 5 years now? There is no excuse for that, absolutely none, on top of that they seem to be all over the place every year in terms pf their message. This conference filled with loud music, celebrities and a bunch of CG reminded me of bad conferences from two gens ago, it's like they ran out of ideas and are now rehashing old ideas that even back then didn't work

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of the talking heads during the Scarlett part literally said "The SSD combined with the Solid State Drive..." and I realized they were just bullshitting.

I really enjoyed the Gamepass/smaller game announcements though.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly just a 5 min campaign demo of gears would have been enough.

Altho people hyped themselves up with banjo and nintendo stuff so this conference was doomed the second that Miyamoto rumor popped up.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
One of the talking heads during the Scarlett part literally said "The SSD combined with the Solid State Drive..." and I realized they were just bullshitting.

I really enjoyed the Gamepass/smaller game announcements though.
I thought i was the dumb one, maybe I am. SSD and the solid state drive, lmao

edit: OH he said SoC lmaooo

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Just reading the headlines seems it wasn't very surprising. Recap from main stuff from last year with little surprises.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly just a 5 min campaign demo of gears would have been enough.

Altho people hyped themselves up with banjo and nintendo stuff so this conference was doomed the second that Miyamoto rumor popped up.
In the age of Twitch, why put stilted demos on stage when you can have real-time, real-people gameplay at your fingertips? If the same trailers ran, say, during the Game Awards, they'd be awesome. I'm not sure I get the difference. Everyone wants snappy and game, game, game. game. And then when we get that, the other people are crabby about it. Can't win for everyone at the same time.

I liked it. Pace was awesome, and it kept things moving. Never two minutes from the next thing. Had to pee the whole last third and there wasn't a break. Have the whole week (or year in many cases) to hit the deep dive in the games I'm interested in, but this way didn't have to sit through 5-10 minutes of something I'm not.

The entire theme of BOTH Sony and MS in 2019 is selling potential. I saw a lot of potential there.

Oct 25, 2017
Insiders hyping this fell flat on their faces. I'm legitimately shocked we didn't get an extended campaign gameplay segment for Gears 5 .

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
My probably incomplete thoughts on the conference (I only got to watch maybe 30 minutes of live, so this is after digesting the reset era threads for a little while). I'm probably missing some awesome indie game I'll discover later or something.

-none of the indie games I've noticed struck my fancy, but I haven't exactly studied this exhaustingly.
-Gears 5 footage I've seen hasn't been amazing, need campaign footage.
-Halo Infinite trailer wasn't gameplay. But at least we got a concrete date...far away.
-Cyberpunk gets a closer than expected date, Keanu is cool I guess, kinda weird flex but OK.

Dont care TOO much about any of that, main thing is they said project scarlett is FOUR TIMES XBOX ONE X. Which is already a beast. Even if they were using fuzzy math and it's really only 2X, it's still ridiculous.

That makes it all a success. Yikes.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PimMPWh.gif
Harsh but ridiculously accurate.

Not even just about Sony but Google Stadia too. Their next-gen segment and xCloud segment was basically a whole lot of nothing. They could have raised the roof with the xCloud after Stadia didn't bring the goods. It's crazy how big of a missed opportunity this is because Sony is going to be at E3 next year and bringing the stockpiled gunpowder barrels with them.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The show was alright I guess, just very underwhelming more than anything.

Lots of multiplatform games but apart from the Cyberpunk / Keanu segment, which was the highlight, there just wasn't any other big wow moments.

No big new 1st party exclusives, no timed exclusives, no 3rd party exclusives, no Gears gameplay, lots of CG trailers.....

I'd give it a generous C-

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at this, Phil was so PROUD that he had scored more games than ever.

60 games. 10 more than last year, but what did we get this year? CGI trailers, not enough gameplay by far. Not even from the big AAA first-party games. So the lesson here Phil, is listen to the feedback get humble and instead of patting yourself of the head next year when there are 70 games in 100 minutes, think about the sacrifices that are made for you to say those words and make the crowd cheer for some arbritrary number. Less is honestly more. Reduce the number of games and provide more extended gameplay demos that make us "wow" rather than simply confused about what this game is meant to be or frustrated because the last thing we want from Cyberpunk 2077 is a cutscene.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I thought the conference was pretty good. PC gamepass is neat. Everything coming to PC, combined with what looks like honest effort to engage the PC audience, is exciting.

Not a lot of gameplay, but the Elden Ring CG trailer was cool.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I for one understand the situation we are in with the transition to the new generation of hardware. This cases a weird void in reveals as most big budget IP and AAA titles are in early development for holiday 2020.

I give Microsoft respect for this conference. Why? because its what WE want. WE want the E3 excitement and the big stage shows that typically accompany it. Was this a good show? no, not really but that isnt the point. They did the best with what they have and what they can realistically show RIGHT NOW. Their direct competitor didn't even show up for the reasons stated above.

I consider this conference a fan service and they do not deserve criticism because we have NOTHING to criticize it against at this E3 2019. Thanks Phil !

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
In the age of Twitch, why put stilted demos on stage when you can have real-time, real-people gameplay at your fingertips? If the same trailers ran, say, during the Game Awards, they'd be awesome. I'm not sure I get the difference. Everyone wants snappy and game, game, game. game. And then when we get that, the other people are crabby about it. Can't win for everyone at the same time.

IIf they wanted to keep things snappy and just show CGI, at least put stingers on each of them saying extended gameplay demo can be found on YouTube, Twitch, Mixr, anywhere. Or Phil should have come out and said. People are just going to walk away uninterested at a bunch of CGI than a teaser of what the real game looks like and where people can go to see more.

When I couldn't even get interested in what they showed of Cyberpunk 2077, then you know you've got problems.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one understand the situation we are in with the transition to the new generation of hardware. This cases a weird void in reveals as most big budget IP and AAA titles are in early development for holiday 2020.

I give Microsoft respect for this conference. Why? because its what WE want. WE want the E3 excitement and the big stage shows that typically accompany it. Was this a good show? no, not really but that isnt the point. They did the best with what they have and what they can realistically show RIGHT NOW. Their direct competitor didn't even show up for the reasons stated above.

I consider this conference a fan service and they do not deserve criticism because we have NOTHING to criticize it against at this E3 2019. Thanks Phil !

Utter nonsense, we can compare it to last year which was better and for not having any gameplay trailers for it's big titles.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Ori looked amazing
As did Psychonauts 2

Honestly, that is all I saw that is exclusive to MS that intrigued me at this time. Funny enough, both showed more gameplay in their trailers, which may not be a coincidence

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Was good to watch but they could have skipped it like sony. I don't think we did get anything exciting out of it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your right, we should be be demanding, greedy and unappreciated with the show. Fuck em right?

They got raked over the coals back in the early Xbox One days for releasing mostly cinematics over gameplay, no reason we can't complain when they start to pull the same shit again.

I appreciated some things, like Elden Ring and a release date for Cyberpunk, but I'm allowed to criticise a disappointing conference all I want.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
They got raked over the coals back in the early Xbox One days for releasing mostly cinematics over gameplay, no reason we can't complain when they start to pull the same shit again.

I appreciated some things, like Elden Ring and a release date for Cyberpunk, but I'm allowed to criticise a disappointing conference all I want.

Absolutely, and this conference wasn't good by any means. Criticism in the PAST came from direct comparisons to other main stage conferences. This year is bare bones basic. Microsoft could have easily skipped this year like Sony but they showed up to entertain us, at least give us some E3 magic that we all love. Sony was a big FU to us. A bad conference will always be better than no conference at all.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, and this conference wasn't good by any means. Criticism in the PAST came from direct comparisons to other main stage conferences. This year is bare bones basic. Microsoft could have easily skipped this year like Sony but they showed up to entertain us, at least give us some E3 magic that we all love. Sony was a big FU to us. A bad conference will always be better than no conference at all.

Death Stranding had a better trailer, that included gameplay, than anything I saw at Microsoft's E3.

I was ready for Xbox to wow me and I came away more disillusioned with the brand than ever.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Death Stranding had a better trailer, that included gameplay, than anything I saw at Microsoft's E3.

I was ready for Xbox to wow me and I came away more disillusioned with the brand than ever.

sure, I agree

but I was simply saying I am happy we got a conference from them, even if it was low quality.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I have to imagine that Microsoft is having an X0 event later this year. It wouldn't make sense to randomly have one last year after so long, if they didn't plan to make it a regular annual thing.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there not a Bethesda E3 thread? I want to complain about that fucker who has been screaming YEAH!!!!! Through out the whole fucking show.

You can tell his check from Bethesda cleared.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
The show was alright I guess, just very underwhelming more than anything.

Lots of multiplatform games but apart from the Cyberpunk / Keanu segment, which was the highlight, there just wasn't any other big wow moments.

No big new 1st party exclusives, no timed exclusives, no 3rd party exclusives, no Gears gameplay, lots of CG trailers.....

I'd give it a generous C-

Wow. Just punching into the thread for the first time and shocked to see so much negativity. I loved it and saw multiple games I would buy, but happily learned they were coming to GamePass.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
Just saw it and very underwhelming conference after all the hype of this being the best of E3 for Xbox. Halo looked visually unimpressive for a next-gen game. Cyberpunk actually looked 10x better which is a multiplat title.

They scored a C ffrom me. No wonder Sony didn't attend this E3 lol.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically reminded me of a Sony conference.

1. Here is some cool stuff!
2. Are we really wasting time on this? Hmm but the stuff at the start looked good.
3. I hope we have a big finish coming up
4. Huh guess not.

It was "fine" and did the job but was overall underwhelming. Which kind of seems like a complete waste of time to me, why even do a conference?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a mediocre show. But MS overhyped it "best, biggest, 14 1st party" etc. and so it felt even worse. Overall it was okay.
Cyberpunk 2077 looks really good.

Nov 14, 2017
Sometimes I think the devs are too isolated from the gaming community. Maybe they need to start playing with gamers and asking them what they want their game to be. Even listen to rational critical opinions- of course, annoying, but at least you gain new insight.

I just don't understand how we got to this point where publishers are not showing gameplay. Most hardcore gamers would have told you there be a backlash.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. Just punching into the thread for the first time and shocked to see so much negativity. I loved it and saw multiple games I would buy, but happily learned they were coming to GamePass.
Was hoping for exclusives or at least 3rd party games I didnt already know about
No gameplay for any of the big releases? Its actually unbelievable.
Not sure how anyone coukd consider this a good conference.
Top it off with the worst and weirdest gears 5 showing I think they could have possibly put together.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Psychonauts was probably the best thing we saw, wish we could've got some Halo gameplay or even a console reveal..

Microsoft really just skated through this one. =\

Oct 28, 2017
Was hoping for exclusives or at least 3rd party games I didnt already know about
No gameplay for any of the big releases? Its actually unbelievable.
Not sure how anyone coukd consider this a good conference.
Top it off with the worst and weirdest gears 5 showing I think they could have possibly put together.

I think the whole gears franchise could use a nice reboot gameplay wise. The core gameplay has gotten stale and outdated. It needs something to oomph it up.

God of war recently went under a reboot and I think gears could do the same.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
Yeah the show was alright but some idiots really overhyped it with the insider tweet and shit. Brad sam talked about Halo 6 gameplay and thats all I could think of from the moment I heard it. Was so excited to see something and it was all for nothing. I think from now on, I will just stay away from the hype and assume the worse. Seriously this year it really ruined my enjoyment

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Yeah the show was alright but some idiots really overhyped it with the insider tweet and shit. Brad sam talked about Halo 6 gameplay and thats all I could think of from the moment I heard it. Was so excited to see something and it was all for nothing.
Take ownership of that. Don't get hyped by those. You're always in for a disappointment.