• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So please correct me but the major xbox one games coming this year from this conference are: gears 5 (looks great imo) and, is battletoads coming this year?

Cyberpunk is 2020, halo is holiday 2020. I was hoping for some sort of banjo revival, like a quick original game or something like that. Something around that level, like concrete genie or super lucky's tale level surprise.

Tempted to pick up a used OG Xbox one from gamestop for 150 but idk.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Take ownership of that. Don't get hyped by those. You're always in for a disappointment.

Seriously.
I had no idea it was supposed to even be a big deal. I thought logically they were still to far out to having anything solid except maybe some impressive engine stuff of Halo and Gears campaign footage. If I had seen that ridiculous ZhugeEX tweet I would have been all hyped up. Can't trust any of those dudes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Some great third party stuff (Cyberpunk, everything Namco, Phantasy Star!), but a lot of the first-party left me confused or wanting (outside of Ori, which looked unbelievable) :/

Like how Gears 5 was handled, or what the hell Wasteland 3 was... Infinite looked fine, but the one-shot they were pulling was a little lame, and Cyberpunk really made its delivery and presentation feel weak in comparison.

Overall, I was probably expecting way too much. This was about on par with their last year, a solid 7/10.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
They could have opted out like Sony did. They didnt move anywhere with this conference. Just left a whole lot of people disappointed.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, this was rather unexciting. But then again, I'm a Switch guy now and whatever MS has been putting out has left me increasingly cold over the last few years. So I'm nowhere near the target audience for this 100-odd minutes monstrosity.

I do have to say though that I was baffled by slightly chunky Phil Spencer vomiting language at me. His speech seemed... weird. Like, the words somewhat connected and he delivered them as best as he could, but it felt so very very off. As if he was in some board room meeting and needed to hit his buzzword quota. And the "mini sketch" with Tim Schäfer was weird as well. Those robotic laugh-coughs in response to Tim's pleas will probably haunt my dreams. HA HA HA I, A FELLOW HUMAN, AM EXPRESSING MIRTH AT YOUR FLESHBAG ANTICS ENDLINE CARRIAGE RETURN

Going by those two, I would have suspected that MS was run by Lizard people or robots... were it not for the other presenters. Well, except a certain actor who either was completely overwhelmed or hopped up on something good. I mean, I know there's huge-ass pressure on those poor guys and gals, and I certainly don't claim to be able to do better. But still, look at the gal that presented the Xbox live arcade ultimate pass game PC xpass ultimate complete thing. She actually laughed and emoted. That was a human under intense pressure that nonetheless could still deliver her little song and dance admirably. But oh well. I don't even know what I'm griping about anymore.

While 60 games is a big number, the resulting lack of in-depth coverage for single titles was a bummer. Dunno, some highlights with actual gameplay and more actual info would have been neat. All I remember in that regard was the Gear5 announcement, the rest kinda oozed by way too quickly and uniformly. Funny how EA fell off the diametrically opposed other side of the scale this time. Time to buy EA, MS.

Flight Simulator coming back is a neat surprise. I shudder to think what kind of herculean effort this must have taken, given the long-ass gap since the last release. The talent, knowledge and data must have been re-acquired at great cost, it's not like you can just fart out a Flight Sim using your average devs and some google street view rips. This should be a massive undertaking, and I suspect they'd have spent way less sweat, blood and money had they continued the series instead of ending it... just saying. I'm not sore, you're sore.

LOL at poking at my PSO wounds, though. Like, what the fuck. I can't really put into words what this made me feel. "Finally, and yet, fuuuuck you, Sega." might be a good fit, but I'm still confused so this might get revised. Everything about that game is just nonsensical, so in a weird sense, it makes perfect sense... and yet... ugh... brain hurts. Need to move on.

The censor beeps during the Cyberpunk trailer. Jeez. JEEZ. What a terrible idea. Coupled with several other "too smooth" moments like e.g. the Master Chief engineer dude and his wholesome family hologram, I actually got kind of annoyed. This feels inorganic. Like, someone shaved off all possibly offensive bits and peppered it with family values(TM). Then ran it through a committee and focus group tested it to shit. Or something. It feels weird. Like some AI's concept of what a proper E3 presentation and trailer reel should be like.

So, personally, a "kinda weird" outta ten, and trying to ignore my bias and old man yelling at cloud-ism, probably a perfect 5.0/10 on the non-videogame scoring scale? Loads of content, delivery robotical, shallow and hasty, overall impression: inoffensive.

Let's try to put it another way. This is the bland and inoffensive Kinect version of the 360 UI, not the fun and satisfying Blades version I wanted. Does that make sense? No? Dammit. To me, it kinda does.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What's that indie game they briefly showed? 2d, pixel art, seems run n gun. I need that right now in my vein.

Edit: found it. Blazing Chrome
How come I've never heard about it before?

Last edited:

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
Easily one of the worst conferences I have ever seen, if you consider how they hyped it up and how good it could have been.

There was only ONE thing in the whole show that made me a bit hyped, and that was Keanu, promoting an already announced game that we all know will be good.
Everything else looked uninteresting, non-memorable or terrible to me. Even the announcement of the new console was so underwhelming and boring...

2/10

Last edited:

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a little hyperbole here but that was pretty bad.

1. Practically no gameplay
2. No really new AAA ips
3. Still no games to bring in new buyers or excite people
4. Crappy Gears music. What is it with the dude bro advertising between this and Crackdown etc
5. Speaking of Gears, THAT is what they decide to show in a year when Sony decides to take a break? This was the year they should have went for the kill but I am still left wondering "where are the damn new IPs"? No the 4v4 player brawler is not what people get hyped about.
7. I miss the old format a little when speakers hyped up a game a bit.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if AoE II is coming to both PC and Xbox? There seems to be conflicting information. Polygon reported that it is coming to Xbox but the trailer did not mention it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think you could legit stack this conference up against the 2 State of Play's we've gotten and the Death Stranding trailer (heck, sprinkle on the PS5 wired article as well just for an info dump on next gen) and many would consider that a pretty even fight.

I'm not an Xbox gamer but I was hoping they'd come out swinging far harder than they did to wow me, I definitely preferred their show last year. The 2 notable games of the show for me were Cyberpunk and Borderlands 3. I sincerely do hope they're holding back a lot of big announcements for next gen as I want to see an all out slobber-knocker from Sony and Microsoft trying to one up each other :)

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I disliked the lack of variety. Banjo kazooie could have mended that. I disliked the lack of fable. Disliked the lack of gameplay for Halo. Just those 3 and this would have easily have been a 9

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ironically reminded me of a Sony conference.

1. Here is some cool stuff!
2. Are we really wasting time on this? Hmm but the stuff at the start looked good.
3. I hope we have a big finish coming up
4. Huh guess not.

It was "fine" and did the job but was overall underwhelming. Which kind of seems like a complete waste of time to me, why even do a conference?

The difference being that Sony actually shows...amazing gameplay.

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Ironically reminded me of a Sony conference.

1. Here is some cool stuff!
2. Are we really wasting time on this? Hmm but the stuff at the start looked good.
3. I hope we have a big finish coming up
4. Huh guess not.

It was "fine" and did the job but was overall underwhelming. Which kind of seems like a complete waste of time to me, why even do a conference?
sony the last few years has shown actual gameplay though

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Overall good show, got me to signup for Gamepass for PC. If I had an Xbox I would get ultimate, hell if Scarlett is good maybe I will.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It had gameplay last year.
Not really. As much gameplay as outer Wilds this year, maybe leas

I disagree it was a bad show. Fundamentally. I think you can say it was fun, but my god people over analyze way too much. I saw a ton of cool games announced. Gonna see some demos later in the week.

You're never going to get full gameplay demos of something like fable or something crazy like that from a new studio. Even halo is too far out for that. I do think no gears gameplay on stage was weird and they could've hyped up ninja theory way more

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped on the Xbox conference begging them to help me jump into the Xbox ecosystem. I've been on team Sony since '96, but I've loved all the pro-gamer moves Xbox has been doing. The game pass deal is incredible, X1X is an amazing piece of technology. I want to own an Xbox, I really do, but I still fail to see why I should get one (on top of my PS4 and switch). This conference did nothing to convince me. The amplitude or CGI trailers where also aggravating.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The insiders were hyping ridiculous things.
megatons
3 aquisitions
Banjo Game
Banjo in Smash
Miyamoto on stage to annouce Gamepass and Xcloud
Anaconda being 24 TF
Street Fighter 6 exclusive

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
I jumped on the Xbox conference begging them to help me jump into the Xbox ecosystem. I've been on team Sony since '96, but I've loved all the pro-gamer moves Xbox has been doing. The game pass deal is incredible, X1X is an amazing piece of technology. I want to own an Xbox, I really do, but I still fail to see why I should get one (on top of my PS4 and switch). This conference did nothing to convince me. The amplitude or CGI trailers where also aggravating.
Yeah, more interested in next year if they show something good off. Will be a harder sale still if the PS5 is backwards compatible.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw it and very underwhelming conference after all the hype of this being the best of E3 for Xbox. Halo looked visually unimpressive for a next-gen game. Cyberpunk actually looked 10x better which is a multiplat title.
You based that on the tiny snippet of gameplay footage at the end vs no gameplay footage of Halo Infinite? Impressive.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not all the time. Death stranding had no gameplay for like 2-3 years

I didn't say they show gameplay for every single exclusive every year. I said that they show amazing gameplay at their E3s. They had huge showings for TLoU II and Ghost of Tsushima last year, for example. God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, etc. at prior years with long gameplay segments. I don't think there was a single gameplay showing at Microsoft's conference today.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Just saw it and very underwhelming conference after all the hype of this being the best of E3 for Xbox. Halo looked visually unimpressive for a next-gen game. Cyberpunk actually looked 10x better which is a multiplat title.

They scored a C ffrom me. No wonder Sony didn't attend this E3 lol.

This thread is like a youtube comment section.

That group of games was great and so many being free on Game Pass day one is insane. I'm paid up via cheap codes and sales until 2021 so everything on GP is no cost to me for years.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Nothing for me from Xbox Studios, sadly.

There were actually some solid game announcements from third parties, but the leaks took the excitement away.

Conference seemed underwhelming to most people, it seems.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'm trying to figure out what y'all really expected from a transitional E3. No one is dropping megatons for a console that doesn't officially exist yet. The Xbox One is hitting its swan song status. What we've seen is the same reason Sony likely decided not to come this year. There really was nothing to show.

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't really impressed with the show but I will get GamePass when Halo Infinite launches if it's good.

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
So we're all in agreement that Spiritfairer was the most interesting game shown, yeah?

Only alternative I will accept is that Deer game

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually respect MS showing up because without them all we left with is Bethesda. Without them E3 will be boring.

However will it hurt them just to show more gameplay like they did in years past?

sev7en

Jun 9, 2019
A lot of titles for sure but... I didn't see anything so strong to bring me to the next.

Looking forward for a standard, common, traditional event where gameplay and players are on the controllers.

About the new Scarlet... too early, too early just to answer to STADIA.

Oct 31, 2017
PimMPWh.gif
Wow, lol!

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
No you just won't listen. I'm telling you that death stranding wasn't revealed with gameplay. In fact, it showed off like 4 trailers over 2-3 years without gameplay

So in the second year it had gameplay. It's not that I am not listening it is that you're not presenting facts and have changed your arguments.

It wasn't revealed with trailer now? Of course it wasn't, the dude didn't even have a fully built studio. E3 2016 was when it was announced and in 2018 2 years later is when it showed gameplay. In its third year 2019 they showed more gameplay.