• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
cant wait for ms flight sim, hope pc has vr mode.

mcdonalds could do a showcase too when you only have multiplatform or pctoo games LOL

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
After sleeping on it, I'm ready to give my impressions. Massive disappointment. Overall, it was a very bland, safe, mostly univeresting show outside of Keanu Reeves. For a typical E3, this is a unremarkable C- grade of a show. However, considering the circumstances, it's an F for me.

The major lack of gameplay has been beaten to death and deservedly so. CGI definitely has its place, but that was just WAY too much.

Everything Gears 5 related was a fucking mess. IMO the marketing for Gears post Epic has been a disaster.

The conference felt like adding just a ton of CG trailers of games just so that you can hype an inflated number of games being shown.

That Halo trailer did absolutely nothing for me. I understand it's 18 or so months away, but you better have more than that. Have someone out there saying what is different about Halo Infinite. You can't end the conference on a wet fart of a trailer with no gameplay.

Scarlett tech jargon video was a waste of time. It basically said a lot of nothing that we didn't already know and did it in an uninteresting way

xCloud needed a LOT more time and details. Get someone out there to talk about it. It was basically talked about in passing

The one major positive: Gamepass. I love what they are doing with Gamepass, and quite frankly it needed to be focused on more on stage.

Double Fine seems like a decent get.

Long story short, you don't need to show 60 games or whatever, tighten that shit up. 30ish games should be what you are looking for, with a handful getting major focus to include GAMEPLAY being shown and or played. I realize Microsoft is in that "dead period" along with Sony of having the vast majority of their teams working on next gen games that it's too early to talk about, but even so effort should have been made to make this a much better show when you have the stage to yourself. Have Gears played on stage. Do what you can to get Cyberpunk being played on stage. Do something!! Because that pretty much sucked.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
In 2015, Sony hosted a conference finally revealing the release date for a long awaited game mired in rumors of development hell, helped a troubled creative visionary secure funding for his sequel to a bygone cult hit, and delivered a brief but tantalizing CGI trailer promising a Japanese RPG that wet dreams are made of.

Sound familiar?

This year Microsoft did nearly the same thing with Cyberpunk, Psychonauts 2, and Elden Ring, plus so much more (game pass deal, shockingly shiny Tales game, next gen reveal, etc), but If I find it funny that the reaction to them is so tepid. Maybe its because the circumstances are different, stuff leaked, and it just wasn't what people were looking for. Or maybe xbox fans (of which I am not), wanted AAA Sony beaters, and whatever 14 studios they have just didn't deliver (underwhelming games, no show).
2 of the games you listed it wasn't even their 1st E3, they aren't even in the same ballpark and I didn't even think the "E3 of Dreams" was that good (HZD was a better reveal than the big 3 imo and Sony's E3 2016 was a million miles better), but the reaction to TLG, Shenmu 3 and FF7R was because they were always dream announcements at E3 that never happened. Only really Half Life 3 is left in that tier and Banjo Threeie is getting there.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I mentioned it briefly during the presser, but I do think it's time Phil stepped away from the stage. It just sounds like he's saying exactly the same things every year.

In fact, every time a Microsoft exec stepped onto the stage was a hype killer.

Yep. The rhetoric of:
- "We've got more games than any other stage" - technically correct, but by default, and 90% of those were just CGI and third party appearing on other consoles
- "We're building the next generation for you...we're building your next game for you" - that business was just meandering. I understand they are trying to make a point, that people felt the Xbox One launch wasn't "for them", but c'mon, it's been over five years. Show us, don't tell us.

First of all, ironically I think the fact that they showed so many games did more harm than good. They spent too much time on already announced third party titles, some of which have actually released already, just to promote Game Pass.

In addition, this trend of no gameplay needs to finally stop, at least for titles that have already been shown (e.g. Halo).

Also, the Scarlett and XCloud announcements were also a complete joke with nothing substantial. After Stadia's announcement and Sony's interview they should have spoken only if they had sth more than this.

But ultimately the problem was that their heavy hitters like Gears and the few new titles like NT's new game looked meh.

Agree with all of this. At some point, Game Pass should have it's own stage/presentation like Mixr. We're here to see why we should invest in the future of Xbox. Instead we get a bunch of subscription services promoting third party titles appearing on PC.

And as per the above, Phil's vague and roundabout script on why XCloud and Scarlett is built for me, the gamer, I'm like, "yeah, duh, it better, because it's a gaming device/service", but offering no substantial information on what differentiates it from Stadia or PS5.

Is it Halo has lost its lustre or is it that Xbox has and therefore Halo is trying to carry a console and isn't able to?

The problem with the showing yesterday is simple. It was a cut scene. People do not care about Halo cut scenes. They want to see Masterchief shooting stuff. I get some are into the story and universe. But trying to make Halo a heavy hitting emotional game? No chance.

Glad I watched on a delay, because I fast forwarded almost the entirety of that trailer. It was supposed to be the presentation's big marquee moment and instead it was just boring.

Phil, if you are so concerned with us as gamers, don't try to pull a fast one and replace gameplay with CGI. We as gamers know that is often not representation of the final product, and has no representation on what playing the game will actually be like.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I can't start my own threads yet (relatively new to these forums), but I did a write-up on the Xbox E3 briefing and didn't want it to go to waste.

Fact checking the Xbox E3 2019 briefing

A few weeks ago, head of Xbox, Phil Spencer said that they had "14 Xbox Game Studios games in the show this year", and, at the beginning of their press conference, he added that 60 games in total were going to be showcased.

Did he deliver? Let's see. Here's the full list of everything that was shown during the Xbox E3 2019 briefing:

1. Outer Worlds
  2. Bleeding Edge
  3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  4. Minecraft Dungeons
  5. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
  6. Blair Witch
  7. Cyberpunk 2077
  8. Spiritfarer
  9. Battletoads
  10. RPG Time: The Legend of Wright
  11. Dead Static Drive
  12. Pathologic 2
  13. Star Renegades
  14. Afterparty
  15. TABS
  16. The Good Life
  17. CrossCode
  18. Creature in the Well
  19. Killer Queen Black
  20. Riverbond
  21. Unto the End
  22. Blazing Chrome
  23. Felix the Reaper
  24. UnderMine
  25. Supermarket Shriek
  26. Secret Neighbor
  27. Ikenfell
  28. LOTR Living Card Game
  29. Night Call
  30. Totem Teller
  31. Metro Exodus
  32. Football Manager 2019
  33. Forza Horizon 4
  34. Imperator Rome
  35. Gears 5
  36. Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo Reach)
  37. Ark: Survival Evolved
  38. Prey
  39. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  40. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  41. Microsoft Flight Simulator
  42. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
  43. Wasteland 3
  44. Psychonauts 2
  45. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
  46. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  47. 12 Minutes
  48. Way to the Woods
  49. Gears 5
  50. Dying Light 2
  51. Forza Horizon 4 LEGO Speed Champions (DLC)
  52. Gears POP!
  53. State of Decay 2: Heartland (DLC)
  54. Phantasy Star Online 2
  55. Crossfire X
  56. Tales of Arise
  57. Borderlands 3
  58. Elden Ring
  59. Halo Infinite

Note: Titles 11 to 30 were presented during the ID @ Xbox showcase (20, in total). Titles 31 to 40 were presented during the Xbox Game Pass for PC showcase (10, in total).

Phil said, as part of his opening monologue, that this was "the largest showcase of games on any stage, anywhere, this year". He added that they were highlighting 60 games for us, including 14 games from Xbox Game Studios.

The list that I compiled includes every single game presented during their briefing, in order of appearance. Two of them were shown twice, once during the Xbox Game Pass for PC showcase, and again near the end of the conference: Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 (with a demonstration of its LEGO Speed Champions DLC during its second appearance).

Also, at the end of their briefing, Phil reiterated that they had shown 60 games - and that was before closing with Halo Infinite and a montage of everything that they had on stage, plus a few others, like Sea of Thieves, Madden 20, Doom Eternal (logo only), Ghost Recon: Breakpoint (logo only) and The Division 2 (logo only).

Realistically, at that point, they had shown 56 titles. So, what could the other four be?

At the very beginning of the show, they had a montage of Xbox Game Studios games. Those included We Happy Few (by Compulsion Games) and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (by Ninja Theory). However, those were made and released (in early access, in the case of We Happy Few) before their respective developers were even acquired by Microsoft, so it would be doubly misleading to count them towards the total. Not to mention they were part of a smaller and rather insignificant highlight reel (the intro for Xbox Game Studios) within the context of the show.

Then, there's Halo: The Master Chief Collection, which is technically comprised of five games (six, if you count ODST's campaign). The argument against those being considered individually is the fact that the only title actually showcased was Halo Reach. We don't even know when the rest of the collection is being released, so, again, it would be extremely misleading to label a single release as more than what it is (even if it will, one day, be part of a larger sum).

In the same vein, it would be terribly disingenuous of Microsoft to consider Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (which includes Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel) and even worse, Commander Lilith & The Fight for Sanctuary (DLC), as separate games, mostly because the only things showcased were their logos and boxarts, as part of the trailer for Borderlands 3.

That leaves us with the only other games talked about during the presser: Batman: Arkham Knight, Metro: Exodus, Hollow Knight and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection - which were announced as joining the Game Pass service, and amount to the remaining number of four. They may have been represented only by their boxarts, but were still technically shown on stage. Not the most honest statement, but Microsoft have been very generous with their definitions in the past (I'll make a similar analysis about their E3 2018 briefing if there's interest).

And now, for the 14 games from Xbox Game Studios.

Before their E3 presser, the Xbox Game Studios website included 12 developers. This is what their home page looked like just a couple of days ago. And here's a list of those developers, in alphabetical order, with the projects they've shown on stage:

343 Industries - Halo Infinite
Compulsion Games - no show
InXile - Wasteland 3
Minecraft* - Minecraft Dungeons
Ninja Theory - Bleeding Edge
Obsidian - Outer Worlds
Playground Games - Forza Horizon 4: LEGO Speed Champions (DLC)
Rare** - technically, Sea of Thieves, as part of the closing montage
The Coalition - Gears 5
The Initiative - no show
Turn 10 - no show
Undead Labs - State of Decay 2: Heartland (DLC)

*Mojang isn't listed by its name as developer of Minecraft anywhere but on the footer of Minecraft.net (to which Mojang.com redirects).

**Battletoads is being developed by Dlala Studios.

After Microsoft's conference, two more logos were added to that page, as you can see in the current version of their website: those of the newly acquired Double Fine (developers of Psychonauts 2) and Age of Empires (likely based on the same decision that led Microsoft to go with Minecraft, instead of Mojang, for the developers of that game). Curiously, there's no mention of Microsoft Flight Simulator, the latest entry in the classic series that's also being developed in-house.

As I mentioned before, the conference opened with a montage featuring footage from many Xbox Game Studios games "screened" onto the sides of its logo, similar to the Marvel Studios intro. Then, the first trailer exhibited was from Outer Worlds. From there on, all Xbox Game Studios game trailers were preceded by a title card with the words "Xbox Game Studios Presents". Here they are, with their respective developers in parenthesis:

1. Outer Worlds (Obsidian)
  2. Bleeding Edge (Ninja Theory)
  3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Moon Studios)
  4. Minecraft Dungeons (Mojang)
  5. Battletoads (Dlala Studios)
  6. Microsoft Flight Simulator (first party)
  7. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (first party)
  8. Wasteland 3 (InXile)
  9. Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine)
  10. Gears 5 (The Coalition)
  11. Forza Horizon 4: LEGO Speed Champions* (Playground Games)
  12. Gears POP! (Mediatonic)
  13. State of Decay 2: Heartland* (Undead Labs)
  14. Halo Infinite (343 Industries)

*DLC

A couple of observations:

First, there's one game missing from that list (which should add to 15), and that's Halo: The Master Chief Collection. As previously stated, it was shown briefly during the Xbox Game Pass for PC presentation in the form of Halo Reach, and, for that reason, didn't have the "Xbox Game Studios Presents" title card.

Secondly, you may have noted that some of the developers making those games aren't really part of Xbox Game Studios.

Moon Studios are "an independent video game development studio", according to their website. And even though they are not listed under the Xbox Game Studios banner, they became a Microsoft first party developer in 2011.

Dlala Studios are the ones responsible for the new incarnation of Battletoads, a Rare IP.

Microsoft Flight Simulator and Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition have no specific developers attached to them, but are obviously first party titles.

Finally, there's Gears POP!, which is a mobile game in development by Mediatonic.

We can conclude, then, that out of the 15 alleged "Xbox Game Studios games", only 13 are actually developed by Microsoft first party developers.

Tl;dr: Phil Spencer promised 60 games, 14 of which made by their Xbox Game Studios. They did show 60 games, but only if you consider titles that have already been released (some of them a long time ago), and 13 of which that were actually developed by Xbox Game Studios, not simply "presented" by them (he had never used the words "presented by" before).

Naru

May 11, 2019
Solid conference. Many interesting games, Game Pass for PC, Keanu, a glimpse at the new console.
I like this "quick fire" presentation of games way more than focusing 30 minutes on Halo and or Gears. Problems is people forget a lot of stuff since there were so many smaller unknown games. I am so done with hyping up games at E3 and the next 12 months just to have it come out and receive 6/10 review scores.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they really leaned on indies while most of the big guns are in development for the next generation. Reminded me of e3 2012

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah I don't get it. Like LOL U R A LOAR. We got 59 games and not 60. Boycott

I get the poster's intent here. I think folks have been genuinely impressed by Spencer's communication the last few years but as there has been little fruit to bear from it, folks are welcome to challenge his sincerity. When he starts hyping statistics, it's totally fair to fact check him on those.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I don't own an Xbox One and I liked this a lot.
Keanu and PSO were super hype moments. And I was not expecting anything concrete about next gen going in anyway.

My only criticism is that Microsoft's IPs still seem kinda irrelevant.
Gears is still stuck in 2006. And... Terminator, really? Time has passed both those franchises by I think.
And that Halo trailer could have been a trailer for 4 or 5 honestly. Nothing about it indicated that this was a fresh start.

Still, as I said, I thought this was really solid.

Dec 21, 2018
Objectively I know that they showed off cool things like Flight Simulator, but as someone hoping to see more single player footage of Gears 5, get more Halo Infinite information, or have just a tease of Fable, I was dissapointed. Even more footage of Outer Worlds would have been great.

I like mp games, but mainly as a social activity to do with my friends to catch up.

My go to games are single player otherwise, and I can only stay invested in those with an interesting story or other narrative hook.

Unfortunately this year MS had little in the way of a story driven single player showing. Don't get me wrong Ori is cool, but...yeah I wanted a God of War like showing from one of their 1st party games.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Briefing started off with a bang and ended on a whimper, after having John Wick on stage it was going to be hard to maintain the hype..

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't start my own threads yet (relatively new to these forums), but I did a write-up on the Xbox E3 briefing and didn't want it to go to waste.

Fact checking the Xbox E3 2019 briefing

A few weeks ago, head of Xbox, Phil Spencer said that they had "14 Xbox Game Studios games in the show this year", and, at the beginning of their press conference, he added that 60 games in total were going to be showcased.

Did he deliver? Let's see. Here's the full list of everything that was shown during the Xbox E3 2019 briefing:

1. Outer Worlds
  2. Bleeding Edge
  3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  4. Minecraft Dungeons
  5. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
  6. Blair Witch
  7. Cyberpunk 2077
  8. Spiritfarer
  9. Battletoads
  10. RPG Time: The Legend of Wright
  11. Dead Static Drive
  12. Pathologic 2
  13. Star Renegades
  14. Afterparty
  15. TABS
  16. The Good Life
  17. CrossCode
  18. Creature in the Well
  19. Killer Queen Black
  20. Riverbond
  21. Unto the End
  22. Blazing Chrome
  23. Felix the Reaper
  24. UnderMine
  25. Supermarket Shriek
  26. Secret Neighbor
  27. Ikenfell
  28. LOTR Living Card Game
  29. Night Call
  30. Totem Teller
  31. Metro Exodus
  32. Football Manager 2019
  33. Forza Horizon 4
  34. Imperator Rome
  35. Gears 5
  36. Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo Reach)
  37. Ark: Survival Evolved
  38. Prey
  39. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  40. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  41. Microsoft Flight Simulator
  42. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
  43. Wasteland 3
  44. Psychonauts 2
  45. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
  46. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  47. 12 Minutes
  48. Way to the Woods
  49. Gears 5
  50. Dying Light 2
  51. Forza Horizon 4 LEGO Speed Champions (DLC)
  52. Gears POP!
  53. State of Decay 2: Heartland (DLC)
  54. Phantasy Star Online 2
  55. Crossfire X
  56. Tales of Arise
  57. Borderlands 3
  58. Elden Ring
  59. Halo Infinite

Note: Titles 11 to 30 were presented during the ID @ Xbox showcase (20, in total). Titles 31 to 40 were presented during the Xbox Game Pass for PC showcase (10, in total).

Phil said, as part of his opening monologue, that this was "the largest showcase of games on any stage, anywhere, this year". He added that they were highlighting 60 games for us, including 14 games from Xbox Game Studios.

The list that I compiled includes every single game presented during their briefing, in order of appearance. Two of them were shown twice, once during the Xbox Game Pass for PC showcase, and again near the end of the conference: Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 (with a demonstration of its LEGO Speed Champions DLC during its second appearance).

Also, at the end of their briefing, Phil reiterated that they had shown 60 games - and that was before closing with Halo Infinite and a montage of everything that they had on stage, plus a few others, like Sea of Thieves, Madden 20, Doom Eternal (logo only), Ghost Recon: Breakpoint (logo only) and The Division 2 (logo only).

Realistically, at that point, they had shown 56 titles. So, what could the other four be?

At the very beginning of the show, they had a montage of Xbox Game Studios games. Those included We Happy Few (by Compulsion Games) and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (by Ninja Theory). However, those were made and released (in early access, in the case of We Happy Few) before their respective developers were even acquired by Microsoft, so it would be doubly misleading to count them towards the total. Not to mention they were part of a smaller and rather insignificant highlight reel (the intro for Xbox Game Studios) within the context of the show.

Then, there's Halo: The Master Chief Collection, which is technically comprised of five games (six, if you count ODST's campaign). The argument against those being considered individually is the fact that the only title actually showcased was Halo Reach. We don't even know when the rest of the collection is being released, so, again, it would be extremely misleading to label a single release as more than what it is (even if it will, one day, be part of a larger sum).

In the same vein, it would be terribly disingenuous of Microsoft to consider Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (which includes Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel) and even worse, Commander Lilith & The Fight for Sanctuary (DLC), as separate games, mostly because the only things showcased were their logos and boxarts, as part of the trailer for Borderlands 3.

That leaves us with the only other games talked about during the presser: Batman: Arkham Knight, Metro: Exodus, Hollow Knight and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection - which were announced as joining the Game Pass service, and amount to the remaining number of four. They may have been represented only by their boxarts, but were still technically shown on stage. Not the most honest statement, but Microsoft have been very generous with their definitions in the past (I'll make a similar analysis about their E3 2018 briefing if there's interest).

And now, for the 14 games from Xbox Game Studios.

Before their E3 presser, the Xbox Game Studios website included 12 developers. This is what their home page looked like just a couple of days ago. And here's a list of those developers, in alphabetical order, with the projects they've shown on stage:

343 Industries - Halo Infinite
Compulsion Games - no show
InXile - Wasteland 3
Minecraft* - Minecraft Dungeons
Ninja Theory - Bleeding Edge
Obsidian - Outer Worlds
Playground Games - Forza Horizon 4: LEGO Speed Champions (DLC)
Rare** - technically, Sea of Thieves, as part of the closing montage
The Coalition - Gears 5
The Initiative - no show
Turn 10 - no show
Undead Labs - State of Decay 2: Heartland (DLC)

*Mojang isn't listed by its name as developer of Minecraft anywhere but on the footer of Minecraft.net (to which Mojang.com redirects).

**Battletoads is being developed by Dlala Studios.

After Microsoft's conference, two more logos were added to that page, as you can see in the current version of their website: those of the newly acquired Double Fine (developers of Psychonauts 2) and Age of Empires (likely based on the same decision that led Microsoft to go with Minecraft, instead of Mojang, for the developers of that game). Curiously, there's no mention of Microsoft Flight Simulator, the latest entry in the classic series that's also being developed in-house.

As I mentioned before, the conference opened with a montage featuring footage from many Xbox Game Studios games "screened" onto the sides of its logo, similar to the Marvel Studios intro. Then, the first trailer exhibited was from Outer Worlds. From there on, all Xbox Game Studios game trailers were preceded by a title card with the words "Xbox Game Studios Presents". Here they are, with their respective developers in parenthesis:

1. Outer Worlds (Obsidian)
  2. Bleeding Edge (Ninja Theory)
  3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Moon Studios)
  4. Minecraft Dungeons (Mojang)
  5. Battletoads (Dlala Studios)
  6. Microsoft Flight Simulator (first party)
  7. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (first party)
  8. Wasteland 3 (InXile)
  9. Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine)
  10. Gears 5 (The Coalition)
  11. Forza Horizon 4: LEGO Speed Champions* (Playground Games)
  12. Gears POP! (Mediatonic)
  13. State of Decay 2: Heartland* (Undead Labs)
  14. Halo Infinite (343 Industries)

*DLC

A couple of observations:

First, there's one game missing from that list (which should add to 15), and that's Halo: The Master Chief Collection. As previously stated, it was shown briefly during the Xbox Game Pass for PC presentation in the form of Halo Reach, and, for that reason, didn't have the "Xbox Game Studios Presents" title card.

Secondly, you may have noted that some of the developers making those games aren't really part of Xbox Game Studios.

Moon Studios are "an independent video game development studio", according to their website. And even though they are not listed under the Xbox Game Studios banner, they became a Microsoft first party developer in 2011.

Dlala Studios are the ones responsible for the new incarnation of Battletoads, a Rare IP.

Microsoft Flight Simulator and Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition have no specific developers attached to them, but are obviously first party titles.

Finally, there's Gears POP!, which is a mobile game in development by Mediatonic.

We can conclude, then, that out of the 15 alleged "Xbox Game Studios games", only 13 are actually developed by Microsoft first party developers.

Tl;dr: Phil Spencer promised 60 games, 14 of which made by their Xbox Game Studios. They did show 60 games, but only if you consider titles that have already been released (some of them a long time ago), and 13 of which that were actually developed by Xbox Game Studios, not simply "presented" by them (he had never used the words "presented by" before).
Was it worth the time investment?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
In 2015, Sony hosted a conference finally revealing the release date for a long awaited game mired in rumors of development hell, helped a troubled creative visionary secure funding for his sequel to a bygone cult hit, and delivered a brief but tantalizing CGI trailer promising a Japanese RPG that wet dreams are made of.

Sound familiar?

This year Microsoft did nearly the same thing with Cyberpunk, Psychonauts 2, and Elden Ring, plus so much more (game pass deal, shockingly shiny Tales game, next gen reveal, etc), but If I find it funny that the reaction to them is so tepid. Maybe its because the circumstances are different, stuff leaked, and it just wasn't what people were looking for. Or maybe xbox fans (of which I am not), wanted AAA Sony beaters, and whatever 14 studios they have just didn't deliver (underwhelming games, no show).

Final Fantasy VII:R and Shenmue III have way more caché among the core gaming population because they were so important in many people's childhood -- they're basically mythic-level games (hence all the crazy reaction videos). Also the Last Guardian because lots of people loved Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. The games that MS showed (by no fault of their own) just can't compete with that level of nostalgia.

To me, seeing those reveals was the equivalent of "Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny are actually real." I've dreamed of those games for so long (DECADES) that I don't mind waiting another 3-5 years for them to actually become real because...they're real!

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Re-watched conference. From XGS games

Trailers with Gameplay:
Outer Worlds
Bleeding Edge
Ori 2
Minecraft Dungeons
Battletoads
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Age of Empires II: Definitve Edition
Wasteland 3
Forza Horison 4 Lego Speed Champions
State of Decay 2: Heartland
Gears Pop

Unconfirmed:
Blair Witch

No Gameplay:
Gears 5

In-Engine not gameplay:
Halo Infinite

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The sense i'm getting from many people is that, it would be one thing if this was just an off year for Xbox.

But many people are disappointed because they were expecting this to be a real return to form for MS...this entire gen, their software output has been lacking outside of the 3 mainstay franchises they have..and people were riding on this E3 along with the Scarlett reveal to really prove to people who were repelled by the MS brand over the past few years or those Xbox fans disaffected by the lack of investment into Xbox proper that MS could come back and do what they wanted them to do.

However they did not. MS had a decent showing, a lot of games i'm going to buy....on other platforms. It wasnt a reason for me to get excited for their ecosystem at all, and on the first party front, it showed a lot of things we already knew about, things from franchises that are past their expiration, or things that were not what people expected with an event essentially with MS having the floor to themselves this year.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re-watched conference. From XGS games

Trailers with Gameplay:
Outer Worlds
Bleeding Edge
Ori 2
Minecraft Dungeons
Battletoads
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Age of Empires II: Definitve Edition
Wasteland 3
Forza Horison 4 Lego Speed Champions
State of Decay 2: Heartland
Gears Pop

Unconfirmed:
Blair Witch

No Gameplay:
Gears 5

In-Engine not gameplay:
Halo Infinite
True. I guess it's just Gears and Halo that didn't show gameplay? Why is everyone freaking out about no gameplay then? I wanted to see Halo Infinite gameplay mulyself but I'll wait till there ready to show it.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
It was a disappointment for me.

That said, what I did appreciate was the variety in the titles shown. It reminded me of 2011 Sony (just not at that high of a level) where they had odds and ends coming out that were not AAA but gave a lot of different variety across Indie all the way to AA titles.

So Microsoft is certainly trying and I expect it'll continue through next generation. Sony has lightened up on doing that but still release quality titles yearly. Just not as often and with far less risk than what they did in 2011.

I want a new Puppeteer tbh. 4K 60fps.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The sense i'm getting from many people is that, it would be one thing if this was just an off year for Xbox.

But many people are disappointed because they were expecting this to be a real return to form for MS...this entire gen, their software output has been lacking outside of the 3 mainstay franchises they have..and people were riding on this E3 along with the Scarlett reveal to really prove to people who were repelled by the MS brand over the past few years or those Xbox fans disaffected by the lack of investment into Xbox proper that MS could come back and do what they wanted them to do.

However they did not. MS had a decent showing, a lot of games i'm going to buy....on other platforms. It wasnt a reason for me to get excited for their ecosystem at all, and on the first party front, it showed a lot of things we already knew about, things from franchises that are past their expiration, or things that were not what people expected with an event essentially with MS having the floor to themselves this year.

People expected MS to show off much more than this when they've got bigger fish to fry at E3 2020?

This gen is slowly petering out. Next gen gives a chance to reset things. And the narrative will be largely shaped at E3 2020 when next gen consoles are unveiled, with their launch window games.

My big disappointment with the conference was more around the poor choice of showcase for Gears and the fact that there's no indication that they're working on a VR accessory.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People expected MS to show off much more than this when they've got bigger fish to fry at E3 2020?

This gen is slowly petering out. Next gen gives a chance to reset things. And the narrative will be largely shaped at E3 2020 when next gen consoles are unveiled, with their launch window games.

My big disappointment with the conference was more around the poor choice of showcase for Gears and the fact that there's no indication that they're working on a VR accessory.

I mean...again..it would be one thing if this was just an off year. But people have heard too much "wait for next E3" countless times this gen when MS doesnt do things people want. Its not really an excuse anymore, especially for people who are put out that they really did just abandon the gen early and not even try. It doesnt give any confidence in the brand that MS are really going to do what they say at all. You cant compare that to Sony in the PS3 days who took that catastrophic failure and turned it into a win by the end by just pumping out content after content.

Again, i dont really have a stake in it cause MS burned their bridges with me a long time ago, and have given me zero reason to jump back in. I'm just repeating a lot of sentiments around the gamer sphere i've heard from Xbox fans who were disappointed or previous fans who wanted a reason to come back to the ecosystem this year with how MS were hyping up this conference.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I mean...again..it would be one thing if this was just an off year. But people have heard too much "wait for next E3" countless times this gen when MS doesnt do things people want. Its not really an excuse anymore, especially for people who are put out that they really did just abandon the gen early and not even try. You cant compare that to Sony in the PS3 days who took that catastrophic failure and turned it into win by the end by just pumping out content after content.

I'm not sure I get the point you're making. Are you insinuating that MS is abandoning this gen?

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018

Apart from Halo which exclusive do you think will release in the launch window?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

Blame the rumor mill. This was supposed to be Microsoft going all out, doubling down, etc. I think everyone's expectations were set very high.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The issue at Xbox continues to be their ability to connect to consumers. There was more than enough material at the show to have a 8.0 type of conference. The foundation for Xbox is good. The studios they have, the services they have....are positioned to compete next gen.

Deciding to withhold gameplay on games deep into development, spending time on Xcloud...only to confuse more than educate...shows they need new people to control their promotions and messaging.

So my take is in terms of my confidence in games and services shown, show was an 8. In terms of delivering the presentation and messaging, was a 3. Show was a mess when it didn't need to be.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really have anything new to add that hasn't been said.

I was surprised at how mediocre it was. I think Sony judged it well to not attend.

Gamepass looks increasingly great value and Microsoft's studio network should be able to pump out content regularly.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Didn't feel like a new hardware announcement show.

Maybe its a sign if the times, where the market is headed, and what people want; but that second half was super flat for me.

Also, please say no to CGI and Vertical Slices. It Sony a while to learn that lesson too.

it's not out until 5 months after NEXT E3. Why would it be a new hardware show?

I thought it was fine. Like an 8/10. Had fun watching it. I like MS's direction, but it should have been far better considering the advantages they had this year. Keanu and Tim Schaeffer were the only real memorable moments, and neither were for new, unannounced games. I will forget about this conference and nearly all of its content by next week. And that's fine. What they did show looked good, but it still feels like a missed opportunity considering Microsoft's built in advantage this year. They had the ability to make this their year, and that absolutely did not happen.

They showed off 60 games, many free on Game Pass (saving me a shit load of money) and gave specs on hardware that is 17 months away. What do you want?

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean...again..it would be one thing if this was just an off year. But people have heard too much "wait for next E3" countless times this gen when MS doesnt do things people want. Its not really an excuse anymore, especially for people who are put out that they really did just abandon the gen early and not even try. It doesnt give any confidence in the brand that MS are really going to do what they say at all. You cant compare that to Sony in the PS3 days who took that catastrophic failure and turned it into a win by the end by just pumping out content after content.

Again, i dont really have a stake in it cause MS burned their bridges with me a long time ago, and have given me zero reason to jump back in. I'm just repeating a lot of sentiments around the gamer sphere i've heard from Xbox fans who were disappointed or previous fans who wanted a reason to come back to the ecosystem this year with how MS were hyping up this conference.
basically this, people have been saying just wait for next E3 this entire gen (if not longer)

between the hype from Microsoft themselves and insiders like our own Zhuge this seemed like it was finally the year with Sony out (stuff like how Microsoft was going to be setting a high bar)

instead it was just more of the same and in some ways worse than last year

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Are you insinuating that they are not? You literally just said wait for next gen, an admission of that fact.

No. I said they wouldn't show off much of their next gen (also cross gen) ammo this far off launch.
Theyve got quite a decent number of games coming out between now and 2020. Beyond, expect a decent crossgen period.

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched the new hardware announcement clip and good god.....The Scarlett announcement was the quintessential video game industry word soup presentation of all time. It ticked all the buzzword boxes.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
As much of an entrenched Xbox gamer I am, I found this conference to be a letdown. Not enough gameplay for me. Not enough new Xbox first party announcements. Not enough sizzle.

I think all the leaky hype really hurt this from my perspective. I know they have megaton potential laying around everywhere at MS, but they seem hesitant or gunshy to use it...Or maybe all the rumors and leaky insider stuff out there is just BS. Is Fable a real thing? Are there plans for Perfect Dark and a new Rare IP? Is Gears 5 actually ready to be shown with just 3 months to go? MS needs to hire a new PR and conference planner....