• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is already planning its E3 2018 briefing.
"It's only January, but Microsoft is already planning its Xbox E3 2018 briefing. Xbox boss Phil Spencer appeared on Major Nelson's latest podcast where he confirmed Microsoft is already having planning discussions for the show, some 5-plus months before E3 2018 in June.

Spencer didn't give away any specifics about what will be shown during the event. But intriguingly, he teased that this year's event may not be what you expect. There will be some "changes."

"I don't think we've talked about yet, but I think will be some positive changes at E3," Spencer said. "Could be fun for us; it'll be a nice change."

Spencer joined the exclusive Microsoft Senior Leadership panel last year as Xbox's chief speaker, where he speaks directly with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella about gaming. Spencer said on the podcast that Microsoft--from the top down--believes in gaming, which is significant considering there was a time not too long ago when some believes Microsoft would sell off its Xbox division. "The support that we're getting, the ambition that the company has...hopefully 2018 will show some of that"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-e3-briefing-will-include-positive-changes-thi/1100-6456152/

Conker 2?
latest

Banjo Threeie?
latest

Lost Odyssey 2?
latest

New Perfect Dark?
latest

Scalebound resurrected?
latest

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One X is out. The time to build a slate of interesting exclusives has come.

I expect a tease for the next Fable and Halo game. Another Forza.

The dream though is a new Killer Instinct. I have no faith in Phil getting some good Japanese games or bringing back fun IPs like Conker or Banjo.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
What's the first paragraph all about? They start planning these events the moment the previous one has finished.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You'd have to be really dejected from this medium if you don't think everyone else isn't planning for E3

Three dead Rare IPs and a failed Platinum project is the opposite of 'positive', OP. Gotta start lowering your expectations like a real Xbox owner like me.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I'm feeling positive about MS this year

Scalebound resurrected?

People would have laughed at you months ago, but with a new Fable being rumored, I don't see why won't they resurrect Scalebound. I have a feeling they'll give it to a western dev tho. Maybe NT.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they deliver. I really do. The more great games we have (exclusive or not), everyone wins.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is an unpopular opinion but please don't have an orchestra. I really prefer calling people from different companies on stage and let them talk about their games.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling positive about MS this year

People would have laughed at you months ago, but with a new Fable being rumored, I don't see why won't they resurrect Scalebound. I have a feeling they'll give it to a western dev tho. Maybe NT.

If they brought back Scalebound under a new developer people would riot. It should stay dead at that point.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

God could you imagine the frustration from Platinum stans if NT worked on that game lmfao

Y'all gotta really get over that game

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
You'd have to be really dejected from this medium if you don't think everyone else isn't planning for E3

Three dead Rare IPs and a failed Platinum project is the opposite of 'positive', OP. Gotta start lowering your expectations like a real Xbox owner like me.
How does that have anything to do with this year's E3?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
So, who's on board this Halo 6 hype train?

It's been 2 years since Halo 5 and we have never gone this long without a major Halo title being teased, at the very least.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Need to see the total unveil of crackdown with a release this year

My expectations are basically in the dumpster but I'm interested in the rumors that I've seen

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nows the time to show us what they've got cooking for the immediate future - I'll be paying attention, the Fable news has got me excited in Xbox again.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every single company is making their E3 plans right now if they haven't already started. It takes months if not longer to put together everything and that's not even mentioned the fact that some games may not yet be in a showable state.

With that said, they really need to show off first party content. I think they are stuck in a bit of a precarious situation since at this point it may be a better strategy to just save up games to have for the first year of the next Xbox generation system.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I read the opening post and I couldn't see how "New positive changes" would translate into "New great AAA exclusives for XBOX1".

and quite frankly, the fact that X1 hardware is selling well without any major exclusives, basically relying on their Live subscriptions and the Multiplat games with strong GaaS and MTX components, I don't think MS would need to invest in them.

It would be cool to see them try, but they really don't need to.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Microsoft is already planning its E3 2018 briefing.
"It's only January, but Microsoft is already planning its Xbox E3 2018 briefing. Xbox boss Phil Spencer appeared on Major Nelson's latest podcast where he confirmed Microsoft is already having planning discussions for the show, some 5-plus months before E3 2018 in June.

That of course being the most normal thing in the world. E3 preparations take many months, and many companies will start even earlier than January, depending on their plans.

If you are planning to show a few AAA games that all need demos, you are talking about hundreds or more people working towards this event, after all.

Last edited:

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of new games, some revive fans favorite IP, some new IPs and a few new studios.
Can't wait to see what VP Spencer can do with full support from MS.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Why are people thinking "positive changes, could be fun for us" translates directly to particular game announcements? Seems more like he's talking about changes to the programming and structure of the show. Not changing what's presented, but how it's being presented.

And I welcome that too. E3 press conferences are kind of dinosaurs at this point with live streaming. They used to be a necessity because these conferences were seen only by gaming press, who would then write articles in their magazines and we could read about them in a month. But now E3 is a more direct interaction with consumers. The structure is long overdue for a change. It already has been slowly changing, eg., companies aren't bragging about sales numbers anymore because nobody watching E3 gives a fuck about that, but some more drastic overhaul is needed.

In other words, Treehouse Live is way ahead of the curve on this one.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will be the year no one comes on stage with a sports jacket over a t-shirt.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally they would benefit from a new Halo showing (sort of been confirmed there is nothing Halo 6 related on the way) or giving details about the new Fable by Playground, it's their exclusives after all and I'm sure Microsoft just like all other companies are planning their showcase for E3. If the Xbox line-up is solid and includes more higher up AAA titles it would be a good run. Phil Spencer is a great guy and really trustworthy when it comes to sharing details about their plans so there's reason to be excited about their E3 presentation in 2018.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Why are people thinking "positive changes, could be fun for us" translates directly to particular game announcements? Seems more like he's talking about changes to the programming and structure of the show. Not changing what's presented, but how it's being presented.

And I welcome that too. E3 press conferences are kind of dinosaurs at this point with live streaming. They used to be a necessity because these conferences were seen only by gaming press, who would then write articles in their magazines and we could read about them in a month. But now E3 is a more direct interaction with consumers. The structure is long overdue for a change. It already has been slowly changing, eg., companies aren't bragging about sales numbers anymore because nobody watching E3 gives a fuck about that, but some more drastic overhaul is needed.

In other words, Treehouse Live is way ahead of the curve on this one.

Treehouse live isn't exactly unique though. Both parties -- MS and Sony -- have been doing Treehouse Live-esque streams across the E3 events for years now. With new announcements unique to that platform and direct footage of games they showed at their conferences.

What more could they do? Fan events, supporting their competitive scenes for their competitive titles, usually daily streams -- think they're all pretty on the ball about pub-to-consuner based discussion

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is an easy litmus test: Is there Banjo-Threeie at the conference? If yes, all hail Microsoft, if no, boo those people!

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I read somewhere previously that Sony also spend about half a year preparing for their E3 conferences every year, so really this isn't news but the norm.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I bought an X finally. Now I want exclusives. Don't make me regret it!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If a press conference didn't announce positive changes what would be the point of the announcement?

Sony and Nintendo don't host conferences, directs, etc to push their platforms into a negative direction. I wouldn't read anything into this remark.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair looks like PR talk to me.

I think most new games, ncluding Fable, will be next-gen ones

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If a press conference didn't announce positive changes what would be the point of the announcement?

Sony and Nintendo don't host conferences, directs, etc to push their platforms into a negative direction. I wouldn't read anything into this remark.
I think Phil mentioned that there would be positive changes in the way the games/announcements are presented. Or perhaps about they being so adamant of having their announcements solely on E3 XD

For instance, last year Ms had very underwhelming trailers, especially for their own games.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
For a news thread - even though it was published as an article by Gamespot, it is literally those few words, and it's entirely context-free.

Given such limited information, I feel that this is better off discussed in existing threads such as : https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-partners-current-and-future-landscape.1061 which actively discusses many facets of MS's actions, first-party or strategy when there are insufficient news to have a focused discussion about the specific topic at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.