• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I was seriously considering getting one a couple of months back but they are unavailable here in the UK for some reason. What's happening?
Cerny announced some improvements in the DS5 a few weeks ago including triggers that change their resistance depending on the game, improved rumble, and usb C. There's also a Sony patent that was recently released for a controller able to connect to a server like the Stadia controller to decrease cloud gaming input lag and a patent for a voice assistant able to help with game related stuff that the person who interviewed Cerny thought could lead to mics built into the DS5.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine that the Medium stick tension that this controller is set to out of the box is what we'll see in the Scarlett controller. I think it'd be pretty weird to ship the controller set to at any setting than the standard One tension out of the box if wasn't sign of things to come.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I imagine that the Medium stick tension that this controller is set to out of the box is what we'll see in the Scarlett controller. I think it'd be pretty weird to ship the controller set to at any setting than the standard One tension out of the box if wasn't sign of things to come.
God I hope you're right. That's my biggest complaint with the XB1 controller.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Bluetooth on Xbox ? I'll it work better than other ? I have a lot of cut off sound using a headset through the controller

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
God I hope you're right. That's my biggest complaint with the XB1 controller.

Here's an actual quote from the project manager who worked on both of Elite controllers, talking about the thumbsticks on the controller from the E3 Colisseum this year.

A lot of feedback from the 360 era to the Xbox One era was the tension when it came to the thumbsticks. So one of the problems was, we could show, mathematically, why you'd want to have less tension. There was an advantage to it. However the things we have learned with the Elite and on the Elite, and especially with our Elite users is that the littlelest things make the biggest differences. So by changing the tension, we actually introduced some problems.

The new 'Medium' tension is probably the answer to those kinks that the change to a low thumbstick tension introduced.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's Bluetooth on Xbox ? I'll it work better than other ? I have a lot of cut off sound using a headset through the controller
I believe the controller will only pair with an Xbox using the proprietary wireless connection they use for controllers and bluetooth is only for other connection to other devices

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe the controller will only pair with an Xbox using the proprietary wireless connection they use for controllers and bluetooth is only for other connection to other devices
That sux :( I want a Bluetooth controller. The default wireless system give me too many cracking noise with my headset

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Here's an actual quote from the project manager who worked on both of Elite controllers, talking about the thumbsticks on the controller from the E3 Colisseum this year.

The new 'Medium' tension is probably the answer to those kinks that the change to a low thumbstick tension introduced.
Yeah, I saw that video at E3 time. I hope you're right about this being the default next gen.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I want this damned controller so bad, but my white elite is in perfect shape after half a year.... I sold my 5 times replaced black elite controller to cover $100 of the white elite but I imagine if I try and spend another $100 to upgrade to the series 2 the Mrs. might kill me, haha.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
As much as I want to upgrade my original Elite controller, I am going to hold on. Will surely buy this with Halo Infinite next holiday.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it was a mistake. I definitely saw it earlier and wondered if it would stay up or get updated to the hold controllers or something.
I want this damned controller so bad, but my white elite is in perfect shape after half a year.... I sold my 5 times replaced black elite controller to cover $100 of the white elite but I imagine if I try and spend another $100 to upgrade to the series 2 the Mrs. might kill me, haha.
Just give her a PowerA controller, she won't be able to...
#lamejokes

I've been curious on how well the white elite controller has been holding up for people. I haven't had any problems with mine, but I've been mainly using my older black one since I've already had to replace the rubber grip flaps like twice (and the analog sticks not long ago too). I guess I've been worrying about using the white one too much in case it starts falling apart, but I have been using it more recently as my "PC controller" and so far I haven't seen any signs of peeling yet. I've had my white one for just over a year now (year and a day, to be exact) and I'm pretty sure my black one started showing signs (even if they were slight just a year after) by now.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I bought my Elite at launch and about a month ago the rubber on one of my sticks cracked. I got lucky because other than that I've had zero issues.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone at MS said how long they expect the internal battery to last? This thing going to die in 2 years?

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
My second Elite has the grips falling off, but my first had a caved bumper, two broken analog sticks, and no more side grips. Such awful build quality. And it's certainly not a "me" problem, as many others have reported these issues and every other controller I've ever owned held up just fine!

They claim to have fixed those issues on this one, and considering they replaced my first one out of warranty, I'm willing to dive in day-one on this new one. It's still the best controller I've ever used (functionally). Having one more saved setting, more trigger options, and stick tension adjustment will greatly improve my existing setup. Bluetooth is a nice bonus too.

I'm happy they let you charge in the carrying case, as that's where mine lives when I'm not using it. That + the 40 hour battery claim alleviates my concerns of switching from Eneloops to an internal battery.

Looking forward to it!

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the quality control is better. The Dpad on my Elite is wearing out. I have to press pretty hard in order for L-Dpad inputs to register.

It's actually my second Elite. I returned my first immediately because one of the sticks would easily slide up and down on its mechanism.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
2 controllers of this, and I could have an Oculus Quest. That price is ridiculous.
It's a premium controller

Honestly I was sceptical myself when the first one came out but when you use it, it's hard using anything else.

My grips eventually fell apart as did most others, but I still feel like it was worth it. It's issues is the only thing that stood in the way of being the best controller ever made.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's a premium controller

Honestly I was sceptical myself when the first one came out but when you use it, it's hard using anything else.

My grips eventually fell apart as did most others, but I still feel like it was worth it. It's issues is the only thing that stood in the way of being the best controller ever made.

Yeah it's good but these things also never go on sale, even finding the first one in stock was an achievement for a while. So here you can regularly get standard controllers for $60aud and this thing thing costs $250aud. Pretty ridiculous.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I bought my Elite at launch and about a month ago the rubber on one of my sticks cracked. I got lucky because other than that I've had zero issues.
I had that happen to my first one I think about a year ago. I ordered a replacement third party set, and those sucked. Then I ordered a set from Microsoft support and now I don't use controllers without one of those stick covers things since I'd reckon the rubber would eventually rub off on any controller really (I also noticed that the sticks on my second most used controller, the Lunar White, were wearing down too).

Yeah it's good but these things also never go on sale, even finding the first one in stock was an achievement for a while.
I remember that lol. I bought a second black one as a gift during like... the "second run" (NOV-DEC of 2015 I think) and had to wait for like a month for it to ship from the Microsoft Store. I remember being afraid it wouldn't get to the recipient before Christmas.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I love my Elite but there are definitely some issues with the original. The grips on the shorter textured joysticks have completely fallen off leaving the metal exposed. Both backside grips below the triggers have also fallen off.

I haven't returned it because I can't game without it now, literally the best controller ever...outside of these defects lol

Going to wait for reviews, don't know how I feel about the internal battery.

Jan 16, 2019
Finally had to buy replacement short sticks on eBay for my original elite, I got very lucky I bought a day one Elite and have a tiny bit of drift, but all my grips on the back and everything else is still intact.

I do like this new controller but I'll hold onto my original for now as all I've needed to replace are new sticks after hundreds of hours of FPS games

but boy does this new one look good

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I guess it was a mistake. I definitely saw it earlier and wondered if it would stay up or get updated to the hold controllers or something.
Looks like it was pulled down, I was looking at previously.
It still shows up on google searches, but that price was obviously incorrect.
Costco usually under charges.
Yeah, weird. My order is still intact, though. Crossing my fingers.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

That video linked above was in my Facebook feed. It is about a 5 min video about the v2 of the controller. The MS person stated 40 hours gameplay per charge. The case the controller comes in also serves as a charging dock for the controller. 3 levels of tension which is user adjustable with one being like it was on the 360 controllers. Much more info in the video. Can't wait till I pick mine up.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Will these sell out and be hard to get you think? I remember the original Elite controller was sold out for months after it first released.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I've just cancelled my pre-order.

I have had an Elite v1 since day they launched and it is an excellent controller. After years and of use, it still holds up incredibly well.

Yes I've got the grips issue and I've had to replace the stick grips, but everything else is just fine.

So why have I cancelled? At £150 there isn't enough there to warrant an upgrade, especially with next gen on the horizon.

Controllers and accessories are said to be "forwards compatible" which is great news - it suggests fundamentally the controller layout and buttons will stay the same.

But surely Scarlett is going to have some kind of controller innovation/change?

All that added up means I'll skip on it for now. I look forward to hearing impressions - I am certain it will be well reviewed and an excellent addition to most peoples gaming experience.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Will these sell out and be hard to get you think? I remember the original Elite controller was sold out for months after it first released.

I'd think so especially the holiday season, but if you're willing to wait a while after that then they should come back in stock i'd assume.

Overall, Love my elite controllers (standard & Gears 4 edition). With the Sticky A button issue the quality is impeccable and feels like a pristine controller. Can't wait to relish in the improvements of the V2. The charge is the case is such a nice damn touch as i generally put it back in the case any way.

Now if Microsoft gets around to letting you design your own Elite V2 controller......

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
What is Costco's return policy on controllers? If the grips start peeling 7 months in, would I be able to exchange it for a new one?

Oct 25, 2017
I have never ordered online from Costco before so I gave it a shot with this to feel out the experience. Their policies didn't seem to say much regarding preorders and glossed over this type of electronic device.

Looks like orders cannot be cancelled after the first hour. This is stated in their terms, and the button has now disappeared from the page. Can confirm this still applies to unreleased preorders. I assume to cancel now I'd have to call them.

Their policy states that they charge debit cards immediately upon authorization. For credit cards, they use a temp hold to verify funds and later charge when it ships.

As far as returns, it seems while many products have no specific return period and it's up to the discretion of the local manager, most electronics have a 90 day limit (I gather this is a relatively recent change). Game controllers are not specifically listed, but are likely included in the 90 day electronics limit. So you've got three months, probably.

Shipping was free but will be 3-5 days.

May 30, 2018
What is Costco's return policy on controllers? If the grips start peeling 7 months in, would I be able to exchange it for a new one?

As far as returns, it seems while many products have no specific return period and it's up to the discretion of the local manager, most electronics have a 90 day limit (I gather this is a relatively recent change). Game controllers are not specifically listed, but are likely included in the 90 day electronics limit. So you've got three months, probably.

everything i've ever read/heard regarding costco's return policy, excluding specific items i'm sure, is that they are satisfaction-based. if there is a problem with your device, even a few years later, a manager will likely accept a return or exchange. just have a good reason and don't abuse the policy.

here's an example thread after a quick search: https://www.reddit.com/r/GreatXboxDeals/comments/5ivwnx/elite_controller_99_costco/dbbiywt/

Oct 25, 2017
everything i've ever read/heard regarding costco's return policy, excluding specific items i'm sure, is that they are satisfaction-based. if there is a problem with your device, even a few years later, a manager will likely accept a return or exchange. just have a good reason and don't abuse the policy.

here's an example thread after a quick search: https://www.reddit.com/r/GreatXboxDeals/comments/5ivwnx/elite_controller_99_costco/dbbiywt/
I have read some talk that just within the past year they have cracked down on electronics more strictly.
But I did already make sure to mention in my post that game controllers are not specifically listed under their 90 day electronics policy, so they may still fall under the general satisfaction policy. I do hope so.

Oct 29, 2017
Had elite v1 since launch and about a month ago the rb button started coming out on its own . It still works but gets stuck it seems . Time to upgrade I guess lol

May 30, 2018
I have read some talk that just within the past year they have cracked down on electronics more strictly.
But I did already make sure to mention in my post that game controllers are not specifically listed under their 90 day electronics policy, so they may still fall under the general satisfaction policy. I do hope so.

interesting, i'd be really curious if anyone has first-hand experience of this. it would definitely sway whether i order from costco, direct from MS, or from target with a gift card i have

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Had elite v1 since launch and about a month ago the rb button started coming out on its own . It still works but gets stuck it seems . Time to upgrade I guess lol
It's pretty cheap to find a replacement part on eBay and pretty easy to replace it yourself. I've done it half a dozen times on my many v1s.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna trade in my v1. I haven't experienced so many disconnect issues with a controller until I got this. I hope v2 mitigates these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.