• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Because the first version wasn't tested.......I'll be cautious on them saying this one is battle tested.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved listening to the industrial designer from MS on the Giant Bomb @ Nite show. Wish the controller was compatible with the other consoles.

One controller to rule them all.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Despite people complaining about the price, this controller sold out quickly. Hopefully Amazon gets some more before launch.
I'm almost positive the same thing happened when the very first one launched, lol.

I remember I had to "pre-order" another one like a month in advance from when they shipped from the Microsoft Store so I could get a second one as a Christmas gift for a family friend. When it didn't ship on time I freaked out and was bugging customer service in many emails.
While I agree with you (and much of this thread) they received a lot of flak for going with AA batteries (despite the looong runtime) so I can see why they switched
I just wish it was like the play-n-charge kits where you could use AAs or the rechargeable battery that went in the same battery bay.

Last edited:

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Agreed with the people that hate the internal battery and now it costs $30 more than the original Elite cuz of it.
I already have a ton of rechargeable batteries waiting to be used so no buy until they remove the battery and sell it for $150.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Not a fan of the internal battery, but they said that it's not like a phone battery and it's not what we're used to. 40 hours of play time is a dam good amount of time. By the time this internal battery would die and be unusable, we'll probly be on the Elite 3 or 4 by then so I won't even care. I pre-ordered one and I can't wait to try it out. I held out on the Elite1 so I had no problems buying this. I DID get the 2 year extended warranty tho, lol. I'm not taking any chances, haha. I do think it's a shame that something this expensive, requires that, but it is what it is. Hopefully I won't have to use it. :)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Already pre-ordered. Amazon was sold out a couple days ago. To me the controller makes enough of a difference on every game I play, I feel it has more impact on my enjoyment than going from 1080 to 4K.

Stick tension options and one more pre-set are why I upgraded. Glad they've done more quality testing this round.

Only negative is internal battery. Do we know how easy it will be to replace those?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought one the minute they went up for pre-order. The original Elite has been, far and away, my favorite controller of all time. It's also been used for thousands and thousands of hours (on both Xbox and PS4) and still works exactly like the day I took it out of the box. This version is even better? Sold! I can't wait, it's one of the few non-standard periferials that improves my experience across the board.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't care for customization but I like sturdy build quality. I want something similar from Sony.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know the total sales of the first one?

I still can't believe folks were willing to spend so much for a controller (at least with Racing Wheels it was a big difference in gameplay, is it to that extent for some?)....That all being said, since it seems that some of the same will spend a high price again for a newer one, then it must be damn worth it.

Are there any who are just going to stick with the first one? And see if there is another one released a year or two in the Next Xbox Gen?

I also wonder if the Elite 3 would have a way to connect directly to Microsoft's servers, like how Google's Stadia Controller will connect through wifi to Google's servers. So that you can take your Elite 3 on the go, and be able to stream games with low input lag. Would add to the value imo.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wow, people are really mad at a internal battery? Ya'll okay with constantly taking batteries out of your Xbox controllers? That was single handily the most annoying thing with Xbox Controllers.
"constantly" - no. Batteries last a huge amount of time. Especially compared to ds4. Much better to occasionally go grab some eneloops and swap than to go find my long USB cable or just stop playing like I have to on my ps4.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
Yea, I am keeping my Elite 1 pretty much exclusively as a Switch controller lol. Way better than any actual Switch controller.

Wait how the hell are you doing that? I only have joycons for my switch and I'm stuck on the last pantheon in Hollow Knight. I think it's literally impossible to complete the game with that pos controller 😣

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Wait how the hell are you doing that? I only have joycons for my switch and I'm stuck on the last pantheon in Hollow Knight. I think it's literally impossible to complete the game with that pos controller 😣

That's my plan as well. I use a Brook Xone adapter with my Elite now for Switch/PS4 games, and I'll be planning on dedicating that one entirely to that once the Series 2 ships.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
This looks awesome, thank you for the link! Just one question, some of the reviews say that pairing between different consoles can be difficult, have you had any issues with that?
It's really not hard at all. I have a feeling those people threw out the instructions. I switch mine between PS4 and Switch, and it's like a two button press combo.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
It's really not hard at all. I have a feeling those people threw out the instructions. I switch mine between PS4 and Switch, and it's like a two button press combo.

Haha that's what I was thinking too since I read the instructions and was like that's doesn't sound too difficult? Ordering one tonight, thanks guys 😊

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
This looks awesome, thank you for the link! Just one question, some of the reviews say that pairing between different consoles can be difficult, have you had any issues with that?

You can switch between the 4 modes when you power the control up, and generally i keep it paired to my PS4 and Switch at the same time and switch between the two pretty easily. Switch can be a bit fussy and i often finds that it forgets the controller and I have to re-pair, but other than that it's fine.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

I still can't believe folks were willing to spend so much for a controller (at least with Racing Wheels it was a big difference in gameplay, is it to that extent for some?)....That all being said, since it seems that some of the same will spend a high price again for a newer one, then it must be damn worth it.
No idea on sales of the elite controller specifically, but sales of controllers have absolutely exploded this gen according to NPD. It's a combination of things as far as I know. Games like PUBG and Fortnite getting more people into competitive games with complex control schemes, longer support for games getting people to play more over time and become more likely to invest in a new controller, and Microsoft putting in the work to make Xbox controllers not only high end with the elite series, but also collectible with the dozens of special editions they've done as well as the Xbox Labs controller designer. It's a money maker for them to be sure.

I'm on my second elite controller right now. Microsoft gave me a new one for 10 bucks even outside of warranty which was nice. It's already falling apart though. I would definitely not be buying another series 1 elite, but I'm willing to give this new one a shot since it will carry me at least a couple years into next gen even if the durability is the same as the current one.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The Gears of War 5 station at MS's E3 booth had the series 2. They felt amazing. I was scoffing at paying that much for a controller before I went hands on with it, but now I want one badly.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I caved and pre-ordered at BestBuy. The changes look really good, native PC support, forward support for Scarlett, and available adapters for PS4 made me all cave.

It's about the same price that I paid for an arcade stick for PS4/PC and will be used a lot more.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
What's the warranty like?

I was really frustrated by the gen 1 Elite controller. B button started sticking after just 4-5 months. I was stunned to find that a $150 controller had a warranty lasting only 90 days...

Does the gen 2 controller have a better warranty?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A friend just wanted to pre-order it on Amazon.de and ... It's gone already.

Good that I pre-ordered it the moment it went live. Kinda knew the demand will be a lot higher than the supplies again.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Are there any who are just going to stick with the first one? And see if there is another one released a year or two in the Next Xbox Gen?

I also wonder if the Elite 3 would have a way to connect directly to Microsoft's servers, like how Google's Stadia Controller will connect through wifi to Google's servers. So that you can take your Elite 3 on the go, and be able to stream games with low input lag. Would add to the value imo.
The paddles are a really good idea and should frankly be standardized next gen. The only downside to the 1st gen controller was the build quality was subpar compared to the premium price they were asking for it.

I'm definitely waiting this next version out though. Even if the next console is backwards compatible with accessories I refuse to believe they'll launch it without any new controller revision. The series 2 controller was leaked something like 18 months ago and it looked pretty damn close to the final product, they even got smaller details like the charging case right. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next console gets a series 3 released near launch or a year later.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a preorder bonus with the elite 2? I'm heard there's a green disc/dpad for preorders but can't see anything on Amazon

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a preorder bonus with the elite 2? I'm heard there's a green disc/dpad for preorders but can't see anything on Amazon
I didn't see that. I saw Major Nelson when he was showing if off at E3 announced that people there (at E3) could preorder it there and they'd get some exclusive green disc, but I didn't hear that going on anywhere else out of E3.

I hope I get some kind of cool preorder bonus, but I guess I'm not expecting any because the first one sold so well without them.

May 25, 2019
London
The paddles are a really good idea and should frankly be standardized next gen. The only downside to the 1st gen controller was the build quality was subpar compared to the premium price they were asking for it.

I'm definitely waiting this next version out though. Even if the next console is backwards compatible with accessories I refuse to believe they'll launch it without any new controller revision. The series 2 controller was leaked something like 18 months ago and it looked pretty damn close to the final product, they even got smaller details like the charging case right. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next console gets a series 3 released near launch or a year later.

Not only that, but I'm hoping that the next XBox replaces the snap and menu buttons with Back and Start/Forward to make them more sensible again.

I've been using the XBox One controller since 2014 and still couldn't tell you which one is on which side of the main XBox button/jewel.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Looks nice, but unless there is a two year warranty minimum hell no, and even then that's crazy. I still love a DS4 and the better S pad is good too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So um...given how late in the XO's life cycle this is, can I assume it will be compatible with Scarlett?

Because if not GTFO.

That said, very happy to this day with my Elite controller I got a couple of years ago. First time owners will be very pleased I'm sure.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the only way I'd get a new one is if the triggers and bumpers were made of something other than hollow plastic. Don't have to be metal, but I just don't like how they feel compared to the rest of the controller.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see that. I saw Major Nelson when he was showing if off at E3 announced that people there (at E3) could preorder it there and they'd get some exclusive green disc, but I didn't hear that going on anywhere else out of E3.

I hope I get some kind of cool preorder bonus, but I guess I'm not expecting any because the first one sold so well without them.

That's annoying. I want my green disc too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.