• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I am 95% convinced the 'internal battery rah rah' response is simply because of the fact that internal battery VS eneloops has always been this big contention point between Xbox and Playstation and people now have to come to grips with the alternative.

Let's face it. High end consumer electronics simply doesn't come with a slot for AA's anymore. The demand for consumer alkaline batteries is lower than it has ever been because everything these days is rechargeable. Swapping physical batteries and compromising your design for bulky AA's is completely outdated as a concept.

And this internal battery lasts for 40+ hours and is likely user-replaceable if you're handy with a small screwdriver. It's a leap forward.
Well you are 100% wrong ;) but seriously, My PS4 has made me absolutely hate internal batteries since my first gen controllers were not even ready for one pronlonged play session and there are clear objective advantages in replacable batteries. If this really will last for 40+ hours I'll be fine with it even though the right way to go would be AAs that can be charged in the controller via USB-C imo. I get that the industry is stepping away from this, doesn't mean it's necessarily the right decision for onsumers.... cough... headphone jack...

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well you are 100% wrong ;) but seriously, My PS4 has made me absolutely hate internal batteries since my first gen controllers were not even ready for one pronlonged play session and there are clear objective advantages in replacable batteries. If this really will last for 40+ hours I'll be fine with it even though the right way to go would be AAs that can be charged in the controller via USB-C imo. I get that the industry is stepping away from this, doesn't mean it's necessarily the right decision for onsumers.... cough... headphone jack...

Perhaps that would be a better in-between solution, or supply a play and charge kit or something.

But as of right now if you're charging me 180 bucks for a controller (or anything tech-wise really), you'd better believe i'd be livid at it requiring consumer AA's.
That's simply dead tech and should continue to be phased out IMO.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The PS4 controller problem is that Sony used a tiny rechargeable cell on top of gimmicks that waste battery(light bar). The battery not being removable isn't the issue. Compare its battery life with the Switch controller and its night and day. Doesn't even matter if the AA cells are rechargeable as the form factor takes up too much room for how much energy they provide.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i prefer eneloops. I've been using the same AA batteries for like 6 years now. They last longer than the internal battery of my Switch Pro or dualshock 4 controller.

i also like the extra weight they provide.

man, my elite is such a hunk of junk. The shoulder buttons broke early on. The paddles are loose. The analog sticks just float around and fall if u turn it upside down. Ive fixed it a couple times and frankensteined it.

still my fave controller ever

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm not thrilled about the internal battery but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. However I'm more curious to see what the next-gen controller looks like before I pick up another XB1 controller.

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 controller problem is that Sony used a tiny rechargeable cell on top of gimmicks that waste battery(light bar). The battery not being removable isn't the issue. Compare its battery life with the Switch controller and its night and day. Doesn't even matter if the AA cells are rechargeable as the form factor takes up too much room for how much energy they provide.
While I agree that the DS4's hilariously low 1000 mah battery is the bigger issue, one of the appealing things about eneloops is the very slow discharge. Nintendo controllers have always been great about battery life, but I can't rely on any of them to hold a charge for more than a week

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I've been using one of the rechargeable batteries Microsoft put out for the Xbox One controller for years now (mind you, my Xbox got light use, but I've been using the battery for a lot more since building a PC and using a controller there) and honestly haven't noticed any real bad drop off in charge, where as after using DS4s for a while, I HAD to drop them on a charger every time I was done playing. So hopefully the internal battery isn't as much an issue as some fear.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I dont really care about the internal battery issue personally. I will most likely use the controller when its plugged in. My day one Elite still holds up really well with no issues. Shocking.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using one of the rechargeable batteries Microsoft put out for the Xbox One controller for years now (mind you, my Xbox got light use, but I've been using the battery for a lot more since building a PC and using a controller there) and honestly haven't noticed any real bad drop off in charge, where as after using DS4s for a while, I HAD to drop them on a charger every time I was done playing. So hopefully the internal battery isn't as much an issue as some fear.
Same here i have the play and charge kit since 2013 and still is great and holds on easily for a couple of days with some good gaming on all days.
My PS4 controller is most of the time empty after 1 day of gaming.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
EHALiFKWkAAR2d6

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Do you mean tech wise? I would have thought the Elite II would be future proofed vs what will be coming with the next gen console in a years time?

There's only a few things i like about the Scarlet. I don't care about all the new padding, metal thumbsticks or whatever. If the Scarlet controller has controller profiles and/or paddles, then I'll just use that.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell, does the profile switch button just look different...or is that a different button altogether now?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of Gyro and dedicated screenshot/record button on the Elite 2 makes me seriously hope that the Scarlett controller isn't just a USB C internal battery pad

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The more pictures I see the more I think it looks like a controller straight out of next-gen. Pretty sexy. Have mine on pre-order after being incredibly impressed with it after a longer Gamescom session.

Lack of Gyro and dedicated screenshot/record button on the Elite 2 makes me seriously hope that the Scarlett controller isn't just a USB C internal battery pad
You can customize the paddies to make a screenshot, use shift functionality etc. So if you really want a dedicated screenshot / record that or whatever button, you can create that.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Internal battery will prevent the XONE adapter from being used on the PS4 or Switch.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I'm just afraid I will miss out on some feature that comes with the new Xbox. I would probably jump anyway if my current elite needed to be replaced.

Off-topic but I wish Sony made an elite controller themselves that also kept their symmetrical stick(I know some people hate them). I just like having the two platforms have different feeling controllers/looking.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more pictures I see the more I think it looks like a controller straight out of next-gen. Pretty sexy. Have mine on pre-order after being incredibly impressed with it after a longer Gamescom session.

You can customize the paddies to make a screenshot, use shift functionality etc. So if you really want a dedicated screenshot / record that or whatever button, you can create that.

Yeah I get that, I'm more concerned about if this is any indication for the standard Scarlett controller. Unless paddles come standard next gen, that does little to settle my fears.

Either the Elite 2 isn't as future proofed as it could be or the next gen controller isn't as much of an improvement it could be. It's a great looking controller by all means but it's so close to the end of the generation it feels like a compromise in some fashion

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Not compatible with the excellent Brook X One, not really that great. I love using my elite on PS4, it's when I use it the most really.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to get mine!

Next gen controllers that will come with the consoles ain't gonna have half the features the elite has so I wouldn't worry about that.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I want

but after my experience with the first version I gotta let others test this thing

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Internal battery is a must for me. Currently use a regular Xbox controller for PC. For some reason, if the batteries get low it will drop the FPS of any game I play down to 5 fps till I take out the batteries and it will keep doing it till I replace them. After looking online its wide spread issue

I don't understand how an internal battery solves that....

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I have a switch pro controller and that f'er lasts 40 hours per charge. I have zero issue with an internal battery if it's not as shitty as the dual shock 4 one.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait for mine. I can deal with an internal battery on a premium product. They're terrible when they're trying to keep high margins on low cost regular controllers. My old Elite is being held together by an ugly ass silicon controller skin, so I'm ready for this one to last a year before I have to buy another one for Scarlett lol.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
That price is a bit too much for me. I'll try my luck eating metal filled beef at taco bell to win this.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Really excited for this refresh. The Elite controller makes gaming more fun once you train yourself to use paddles.

Dec 20, 2017
Finally got a job offer after months of looking so I think I'l treat myself to one of these bad boys. Thanks for the bump to remind me.

Oct 27, 2017
I built a new PC from scratch this month so thought fuck it, I'm spending a stupid amount of money already, so pre ordered one of these. Hope it lives up to expectations!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Wii u pro controller is still going strong with 80 hour battery life after all these years, the bone one (especially with a such nice way to charge it with Type C) will do great i'm sure.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Does anyone know what's the best config for Fortnite?! How should I set the paddles for ingame? Want to build and shoot like never before

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
The SN30 Pro+ probably had the most elegant solution to batteries in a controller I've ever seen. It comes with a removable battery pack that can be directly charged in the controller. If you remove it, normal AA batteries can be used instead. A smart design that's both flexible and future proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.