• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell people enough times to AVOID THESE CONTROLLERS. I've gone through FIVE of them that were all either defective out of the box, or quickly became defective after a few months of gentle usage. My last one came directly from Microsoft as a replacement and has a bad A button. I was supposed to send it back before my warranty expired, but decided not to because I wasn't able to easily get to a UPS store to send it back. I'm convinced they're all defective.

Just total garbage. For the insane cost in Canada for one of these, the build quality is woeful. If they ever make a Series 3, it's gonna need to have perfect reviews for years before I ever consider buying it.

Yeah, I've got no issues with mine and I've had it over a year, but I'm convinced that just the way I press the A button means it's not a problem for me, not that there isn't a problem there. Same with the Switch pro d-pad, no issues here, but I would warn people with it with just so many reports out there of problems.

May 14, 2021
Every controller they make has build quality issues imo. Specifically the fact that A and Y have issues registering presses reliably or registering two instead of one press.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Oh God I didn't know about this problem still affecting people. I thought they were solved already…

Bought one a few days ago…

Anyone knows if batch 2119, SN 02630101222115 is safe?

I don't have access to warranty as it is not sold officially on my region…

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Every controller they make has build quality issues imo. Specifically the fact that A and Y have issues registering presses reliably or registering two instead of one press.
Weird. I've had soooo many controllers and never had that issue. What eventually breaks on me is almost always bumpers, at least in Xbox One era. My Series S/X ones have been fine so far. Bumpers (and grips) fell apart on first Elite 2 as well, but replacement has been fine for quite awhile.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Oh God I didn't know about this problem still affecting people. I thought they were solved already…

Bought one a few days ago…

Anyone knows if batch 2119, SN 02630101222115 is safe?

I don't have access to warranty as it is not sold officially on my region…

Enjoy the controller. Hopefully none of these issues will affect you.

I am still using my OG Elite.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've got no issues with mine and I've had it over a year, but I'm convinced that just the way I press the A button means it's not a problem for me, not that there isn't a problem there.
Yeah, I'm convinced that virtually all of the controllers have defective buttons but many people won't notice because they press them in a manner that always registers properly. Whether that's because of the pressure used or the angle of their finger, I'm not sure.

I just know that I personally tested five brand new Elite 2 controllers and they all missed the occasional A input if I pressed lightly. None of my other controllers have that issue, not even the Elite 1 (which unfortunately has other QC issues).

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to get the extended warranty from MS but they only give the option if you buy the controller directly from them. It sucks.

I thought so too - BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I bought mine from best buy and a day or two after recieving it I opened up chat with support and they helped me register my device and add it for $20!

Oct 28, 2017
I am being shipped my second replacement. First time it was a faulty right trigger that got stuck. Then the replacement's left stick got stuck after like a week of use.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had my LB stop responding every other press, and RB register as two for the price of one.

Saw a YT vid about the non-responsive bumper. Apparently, there's a thin bit of white plastic wedged between the bumper and the actual switch inside the controller.

Opened it up, took out the plastic and it's fine now.

Re: one input reading as two, saw it was suggested in same vid to use one of those small air cannisters that you use to clean stuff in a PC. Tried it on the inside of my controller on the RB area, and it did help for a few weeks.

Could you give me a link to that video? Got the same problem with LB.
Second this. I might have a go at fixing mine.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, I've got no issues with mine and I've had it over a year, but I'm convinced that just the way I press the A button means it's not a problem for me, not that there isn't a problem there. Same with the Switch pro d-pad, no issues here, but I would warn people with it with just so many reports out there of problems.

None of my other XBOX One or Series controllers has had the issue as prominently as my Elite Series 2. Clearly something they've done with the design or manufacturing is not the same. It's really weird.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Second this. I might have a go at fixing mine.

Could you give me a link to that video? Got the same problem with LB.

This wasn't the exact video, but he covers exactly the same method (apart from him not spraying with an air cannister)

youtu.be

How to fix Broken Bumpers on Elite Series 2 Xbox controller

Part two: https://youtu.be/srKKnJMUB1EThis is for bumpers on the elite series 2 xbox controller that are unresponsive or you have to press really hard on the...

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
My A button doesn't work 100% of the time, so I usually have A set to the top right paddle and use it as often as regular A.

I only use two of the four paddles, but having them makes a huge difference on a lot of games. I use the top left paddle as the run button instead of holding down L3, and I find that to be a vast improvement.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My A button doesn't work 100% of the time, so I usually have A set to the top right paddle and use it as often as regular A.

I only use two of the four paddles, but having them makes a huge difference on a lot of games. I use the top left paddle as the run button instead of holding down L3, and I find that to be a vast improvement.
I use two for the same buttons as you. But I also use a paddle for X for reload. It means my thumbs don't leave the stick in an fps. Not that it does me much good online lol

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Microsoft gotten away with releasing this product that is so poorly manufactured? All I hear is this controller breaking down left and right for people

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This wasn't the exact video, but he covers exactly the same method (apart from him not spraying with an air cannister)

youtu.be

How to fix Broken Bumpers on Elite Series 2 Xbox controller

Part two: https://youtu.be/srKKnJMUB1EThis is for bumpers on the elite series 2 xbox controller that are unresponsive or you have to press really hard on the...
thanks, I needed this too.

What my controller saga has taught me is to not buy it again. Can't keep dealing with the crap build quality like I did with elite 1 and elite 2

Edit: someone in the comments posted an isopropyl alcohol trick to get the bumper working, which fixed it for me for now

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is Microsoft gotten away with releasing this product that is so poorly manufactured?
It's disappointing that no decently-sized media outlets have pinned MS down on the issue. I'd love to hear an official response about this as well as the persistent issues with their buggy Windows 10/11 store.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I must have gotten lucky with mine, zero issues at all. It's by far the nicest controller I've ever owned. Had it for going on 2 years now.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't trust Microsoft's quality when it comes to their controller build after having issues with every controller of theirs I've owned.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Here's hoping my Halo Infinite Elite 2 doesn't have too many issues because I doubt those will be easily replaceable.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Glad I came in here. Was about to pick one of these up, but I'm good. Have two regular Series controllers and they work fine. I'll stick to those.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Has anyone actually managed to snag an Elite Series 2 that has a fully responsive A button? Like to light or not fully centered presses? Consistently?!

I managed to find a Series X/S controller with decent response after one exchange but I've returned THREE Elite 2s so far and they've all had the same issue. It's absolutely miserable for platformers but that dpad is so good it makes me want to believe.

I'm probably giving up until the next revision, there's so much that's just perfect about this controller but this quality control is ridiculous for the price. It kills me, everything else about it is wonderful but it's a total dealbreaker.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Has anyone actually managed to snag an Elite Series 2 that has a fully responsive A button? Like to light or not fully centered presses? Consistently?!

I managed to find a Series X/S controller with decent response after one exchange but I've returned THREE Elite 2s so far and they've all had the same issue. It's absolutely miserable for platformers but that dpad is so good it makes me want to believe.

I'm probably giving up until the next revision, there's so much that's just perfect about this controller but this quality control is ridiculous for the price. It kills me, everything else about it is wonderful but it's a total dealbreaker.

Nope. I gave up on them. I wonder if the new Halo edition will have fixed it, as someone mentioned the new Forza controller fixed the issue.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Sticks are getting loose on the Elite Series 2 that I use on my console. My PC Elite (Which I HARDLY use) is starting to have RB issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
No issues with my controller so far (~1 month in), but glad I extended the warrenty for 2 years from MS for $20 anyways. FYI, you are able to do this no matter where you bought it from when you register it on the MS website.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021

I had 3 elite 2 and so far each one of them suffered from either A or B mushiness or easy to stuck
while regular Series X controllers I had are rock-solid quality and feel great after 1 year

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think my RB button is starting to double press... This is my third pad and as a result I'm no longer in warranty.

It's seriously frustrating how this seems to be a 100% guaranteed failure from my experience. Anyone fixed it or had MS replace out of warranty in the UK?

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
No issues with my controller so far (~1 month in), but glad I extended the warrenty for 2 years from MS for $20 anyways. FYI, you are able to do this no matter where you bought it from when you register it on the MS website.

So like specially if you fire up the configurator that lets you test button responses, if you try to sort of roll your thumb over A after holding it over B does it miss any presses? Every one I've tried has issues unless you either press A dead center or firmly. It's almost immediately noticeable, especially in Spelunky 2.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I had to return two controllers because Y did not register finally on my third it has been solid. Although now that I said that it will probably break.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
So I had to send mine out for the 2nd time in a year before the warranty expires. The a button misfired like half the time and it would randomly turn off. Got it back last night and the a button still sucks ass lol. Pretty disappointed because the battery life is incredible and it feels better in the hand than any controller I've ever used, but holy shit I'd never advise anyone to buy this piece of shit due to the quality issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
So I had to send mine out for the 2nd time in a year before the warranty expires. The a button misfired like half the time and it would randomly turn off. Got it back last night and the a button still sucks ass lol. Pretty disappointed because the battery life is incredible and it feels better in the hand than any controller I've ever used, but holy shit I'd never advise anyone to buy this piece of shit due to the quality issues.
It really feels like the controller equivalent of my Logitech MX Master 3 mouse, which I adore (except for gaming) in every way, only if like right-click didn't work 50% of the time.

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Just had mine start to play up today, this will be my third one with the same issues, honestly thought I had managed to snag a "good one" this time.
For the amount that these things cost you would think they would be built better than a Fisher Price childs toy but apparently not...

I'm probably going to have to go and get yet another which is such a hassle when I just want to actually game.
"Premium" product my ass.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Just had mine start to play up today, this will be my third one with the same issues, honestly thought I had managed to snag a "good one" this time.
For the amount that these things cost you would think they would be built better than a Fisher Price childs toy but apparently not...

I'm probably going to have to go and get yet another which is such a hassle when I just want to actually game.
"Premium" product my ass.

So they extend the warranty every time you resend it. I'm already aware with this a button I'll have to send it again. Are there any that don't have the a button issue?

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The A button not registerimg sometimes is kind of annoying. The other issue i had was the R trigger feeling sticky at one point. Alcohol did the trick.

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
So they extend the warranty every time you resend it. I'm already aware with this a button I'll have to send it again. Are there any that don't have the a button issue?

They have not extended the warranty. When my first one broke it was covered by the warranty, when the second one broke it was out of warranty by that point so I had to buy my third, which has now decided to also break...

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed they have not sorted these issues out. It must be costing them a fair bit in replacements? At least, you would think.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I got a new one today, lot 2139, and I can replicate this every time where my A button makes contact but it does not register. https://streamable.com/afab9t
I just don't think this is acceptable, yes I look for problems and I probably hit my A button in a way that I otherwise wouldnt, but on all other controllers that I have this would not happen.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
This is identical to mine
I have send in 10 back in early 2020 hoping to find one where I can not do this, and I never found one. Even the ones pre-tested by a MS engineer ended up exactly the same. I just don't find it acceptable for a controller that had a MSRP of 150$. I don't think I will try to get a working one, I just don't think there are any that do not have this issue, honestly.

I don't think a controller where my A input drops out is playable for me with some of the games I play that would be very annoying.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
These controllers are garbage. I've gone through multiple in both series and never again. For me it was the bumpers repeatedly breaking. I've switched to just a standard Series X controller and it's been flawless for over a year. Elite controllers need to go away.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
My RB button stopped working for the third time and I'm out of warranty. Anyone try the fixes online where you fold up the little plastic piece behind the bumper in half? I'm just using a paddle as the RB button right now.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, it finally happened. From one day to another, my controller completely went to shit. It started with some stick drift, where it would register an upwards input when neutral. Now the stick will usually get stuck registering inputs upwards or downwards, and my LB barely registers when I press it all of a sudden.

I have never had a controller fall apart like this before.