• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just picked mine up.

I still hate that it's an internal battery, but that aside this thing feels incredible in your hands.

They changed the material of the metals and have tweaked the triggers a touch. All the clicks of the buttons feels super solid too. Not a single part of this thing feels cheap or flimsy.

I think they way they put the grips together we (fi gets crossed) shouldn't have any issues there either.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strangely amazon sent mine for 140 bucks. I check again my old mail I ordered for 180 and it's as if today 180. Why I pay 140? Can't complain

I hope the connection is better with this one. A lot of disconnect with my other elite
The price dropped to 140 on Amazon France, thus you got the lowest price during your preorder.
When someone told that here I canceled my MS Store preorder and ordered on Amazon France, they shipped last Thursday, should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if i can just turn in my old one with the best buy replacement and pay the difference. My sticks are loose and pop out.

If your's is legitimately defective and still within the 2 year BestBuy plan, they should totally honor that and just make you pay the difference. Essentially because they can't ship you a V1 controller as their Out of Print now.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah this thing feels absolutely incredible in hand, not sure how much is just due to it being a brand new controller. Sticks feel nice at default tension but I tightened them immediately. Hate loose feeling sticks and this finally feels like we're back to the 360. In terms of the paddles they're significantly smaller and more clicky, definitely an improvement in feel. Will have to wait till I get home to see how they feel in action.

Wasn't sure about it but the magnetic charging stand built into the case is pretty genius. The way it just easily snaps into the case is nice as hell, and with a controller this pricey it's probably for the best you just put it into the case when you're done.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The price dropped to 140 on Amazon France, thus you got the lowest price during your preorder.
When someone told that here I canceled my MS Store preorder and ordered on Amazon France, they shipped last Thursday, should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.
Got it. Good to know. Will have it later today or tomorrow

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019

Pretty good video showing internals of the Elite series 2, including new bumpers and build quality. Also uses heat gun the test rubber grips.

Khalid030

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I may give some advice? Just jump in with 4 paddles. You don't want to get used to 2 paddles then have to get used to 4 and start the "training period" all over again when you feel like you want to bump up to 4 later on.

Also. I think what helped me get used to 4 paddles really quickly, like a few days, was I didn't think of the paddles as this one's "this button" and that one's "that button," but as this is my "jump paddle" and this one's my "weapon switch paddle." I'd then play with it a while in a game until I got the feel of it, even if I wasn't fully used to it yet. Then I tried out another game and assigned those paddles again as "jump" "weapon switch (or interact, reload whatever)" and played a while with it in that game.

I think it helped train my brain to look at paddles less as button replacements, but "actions" from then. It'll get weird with some games and how their controls are set up, but I've found it's easy to adjust per game when I've already gotten my "base" down and used to the full set.

Just something that I think helped me. Might be different for you and other people but I thought I'd share my experience.
Much appreciated man! I used to have a nacon with the 2 buttons on the back but never really got around to using them. But I will certainly make use of your advice and do more on regards of the paddles. Thanks again.

ItsJonesy777

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to report that the S2 works just like the S1 on PS4 with the Cronusmax+ adapter, plugged it in and off I went. In case anyone doesn't check the Accessories app straightaway there is an update for the controller, no idea what it fixes but it's there.

After 4hrs I'm loving the update to this controller although as someone with smallish hands the smaller paddles will take a little adjusting but geez it feels good having paddles again. The tension on the sticks was a great addition and helps in FPS games. One thing I will say is the grips feel smaller or maybe it's the different material that just feels odd, another thing that will take some getting use to.

Overall, a big improvement over the S1 but that's initial impressions on only 4hrs playtime and only in one game, CoD Modern Warfare.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
I was never a fan of internal batteries either, batteries in both my PS4 controllers are awful.

However, I bought an official Xbox One Play and Charge kit in 2014 and have been using it in my Elite V1 since launch in 2015.

I don't game as much as I used to now having a family, but I get on most days so clock up 10-20 hours per week. I plug my controller in once every 2-3 weeks while gaming to charge.

Based on the quality of the Xbox One Play and Charge kit battery, I'm not worried at all about the internal battery in the V2.

Really looking forward to getting this on Monday.
But before we had a choice: batteries or play and charge kit, now we don't have a choice

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Changing batteries sucks. Having rechargeable ones doesn't make it any less of a pain.

it actually makes it more of a pain. the trick is screw rechargeables which are for suckers, just buy store brand aa's in bulk. they're 90% as good as energizer/Duracell (if you do your hw a little) and dirt cheap. you can get like 50 for 7 bucks on sale etc. insignia, best buy's store brand, works well, as do rayovac and amazon basics.

and then you dont have rechargable mess.

as to the controller, do want, but geez, pushing 200 dollars...you can buy a switch lite for that.

i'm not too worried about the fixed battery, 40 hour life sounds good.

Last edited:

ItsJonesy777

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise there was an OT, posted my initial impressions in the announcement thread...

Happy to report that the S2 works just like the S1 on PS4 with the Cronusmax+ adapter, plugged it in and off I went. In case anyone doesn't check the Accessories app straightaway there is an update for the controller, no idea what it fixes but it's there.

After 4hrs I'm loving the update to this controller although as someone with smallish hands the smaller paddles will take a little adjusting but geez it feels good having paddles again. The tension on the sticks was a great addition and helps in FPS games. One thing I will say is the grips feel smaller or maybe it's the different material that just feels odd, another thing that will take some getting use to.

Overall, a big improvement over the S1 but that's initial impressions on only 4hrs playtime and only in one game, CoD Modern Warfare.

Top Cat

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Teardown video - Internals look to be improved over series 1.

Also, is that a Honey Badger?!

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Picking mine up today after work! Can't wait to have this in my hands such a perfect controller to have when Scarlett is out too

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Just opened mine and damn the quality is top notch. I didn't even know you could adjust the throw on the triggers. Never used a controller with paddles so this is going to take a while to get used to.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Just opened mine and damn the quality is top notch. I didn't even know you could adjust the throw on the triggers. Never used a controller with paddles so this is going to take a while to get used to.

Once you get used to using paddles, it's hard to go back especially for shooters.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once it clicks, you'll never go back.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Great, so it's utterly impossible to change out the battery when it dies.

Hard pass.
I scrubbed through it earlier but noticed it looked like he never actually opened up that little compartment and showed it, did he?
I wouldn't call it "impossible," but getting the new front plate off looked like a pain in the ass.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Placed my order for store pickup at bestbuy today!

They sent me a 10 percent off birthday coupon. So I applied that to the controller plus I had a 40 dollar gift card. Went ahead and added the 2 year bestbuy warranty as well. (As many people recommended)

Can't wait to pick it up

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
Mine arrived Friday afternoon. The A button is broken. It sticks really badly and will get stuck and not come back up. I'm going to hopefully swap it out tonight.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Mine arrived Friday afternoon. The A button is broken. It sticks really badly and will get stuck and not come back up. I'm going to hopefully swap it out tonight.
I mean, I would just replace it at whatever store sent it to me. From the teardown video posted in the other thread, getting the front faceplate looks like a bitch to get off.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Selling mine on BST if anyone is interested. I won it via contest, and well my Gen 1 is in perfect cosmetic and working condition that i dont need a 2nd one with minor upgrades.

Marmite

Nov 15, 2017
Picked one of these up at lunchtime today with the explicit intention to use for gaming on my PC via Steam and bluetooth, so slightly concerned reading the reports about it not working properly on that platform.

Fingers crossed a rapid Steam update will sort...

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Just got mine and noticed and I can tighten and loosen the left joystick to really loose or barely moving at all with the joystick itself. Is mine defective or is that an actual feature I missed hearing about?

EDIT: This is just the left one.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My mistake was removing 2 of the 4 paddles. I get my Series 2 in about an hour or so and will train myself to have all 4 paddles. But on my Series 1 I had 2 paddles and cannot go back to not having them. I mainly use them for games where you have to click in the left stick to run which I mapped to the left paddle and clicking in on the right stick which I mapped to the right paddle. Depending on the game, I had different profiles which used the paddles. But once you get use to it, you wont be able to go back to a regular controller.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Mine came today. First thing I noticed is the heft it has which is a lot compared to the DS4 I've been using mainly for PC (and PS4). My X button stopped working on my DS4 so I had to Frankenstein a fix from my first DS4 which had a different problem so my DS4 works again properly but I wanted this because of the paddles and extra customisation like the deadzone on the triggers so they can be set as basically digital buttons which is great for fighting games and I imagine my time playing FFXIV holding down the triggers, where this way it won't wear out the springs.

I'm very disappointed you can't set the paddles as keyboard buttons as a way to basically have four extra buttons, mainly because I use push to talk for voice and with my DS4 using DS4Windows had the touchpad mapped to my push to talk key (v) so could easily chat in discord and the like while using a pad.

There is a program reWASD that seems perfect for it, but doesn't seem to work with the Series 2 yet as it picks it up as a regular Xbone pad and not an Elite though apparently that will be fixed in the next update?

On the whole though, the thing feels great, feels very "premium" which you would hope for at that price but yeah, feels solid and I hope to get a looooot of use out of it. Only other issue is that my muscle memory is kicking in from the Switch pro controller because of the same shape and layout so I'm always hitting B instead of A because I've not used an Xbox pad properly for a while. I mean, I COULD swap the button mappings. It would solve some issues except when buttons needs to be pressed together. Why does Nintendo have to be awkward (I know, I know, SNES pad etc but everyone has the bottom button be yes (outside of Playstation in JP). Anyway, that isn't related to the pad.

It was also a nice surprise to see a 14 day trial of Game Pass. I'll put that to use for my Xmas Holiday time.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dealing with some Brook converter update issues but it was delivered on time, thankfully.

hMrkLEF.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone confirm whether you can use the series 1 paddles with series 2? I didn't know they shortened the paddles so would like to use my original ones in case it's an issue. Thanks in advance!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone confirm whether you can use the series 1 paddles with series 2? I didn't know they shortened the paddles so would like to use my original ones in case it's an issue. Thanks in advance!
just tried it and seems like they are interchangeable, but i didn't actually test it in a game.
Yeah, I just watched an Xbox On video that was titled "50 things you don't know about the series 2 elite" (or something like that) and they mentioned that all the swapable parts from the V1 is compatible with the V2 (including paddles and dpads). I didn't post the video here because other than them clarifying the "default" profile also turns the paddles off (something I had been wondering) and mapping actions (like "send message" "view friends" etc to paddles), every other "thing you didn't know" felt like things that people here, who were excited about the controller, would probably already know.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just watched an Xbox On video that was titled "50 things you don't know about the series 2 elite" (or something like that) and they mentioned that all the swapable parts from the V1 is compatible with the V2 (including paddles and dpads). I didn't post the video here because other than them clarifying the "default" profile also turns the paddles off (something I had been wondering) and mapping actions (like "send message" "view friends" etc to paddles), every other "thing you didn't know" felt like things that people here, who were excited about the controller, would probably already know.

Awesome, thanks!