• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Someone here said they use the paddles for running in Jedi Fallen Order. I decided to give that a try. Holy shit, that is damn nice! No more pressing in left analog stick, left paddle does it and does it well!

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
Just picked up my V2. Had to return the first one because the upper right paddle was squishy and not providing the tactile and audible click like the other three.

Beyond that, really digging it. Not sure it would be worth an upgrade from the V1, but it's a solid feeling controller.

May 30, 2018
Someone here said they use the paddles for running in Jedi Fallen Order. I decided to give that a try. Holy shit, that is damn nice! No more pressing in left analog stick, left paddle does it and does it well!

that's absolutely been my favorite use for them. did that the last couple years whenever i played Destiny 2. i *hate* the analog click button.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone had pairing issues with their PCs? So, as previously stated I figured out I had to pair as a peripheral instead of the old controller-receiver option. It says that it's paired but the Xbox button is still flashing when I turn it on. It's charged for some time so it's not a battery issue. It has turned solid white a couple times, I'll pop into a game, start trying to play and it's just flashing again.

This was way too fucking expensive to not just be plug-and-play. I purchased the fancy Logitech mouse and charging mousepad recently and it just "worked" after plugging it in.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here bought the controller on Microsoft Store in Europe? If yes let me know so I can pm you to clarify some doubts. Thanks.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
that's absolutely been my favorite use for them. did that the last couple years whenever i played Destiny 2. i *hate* the analog click button.
Yeah that's what I did as well. R3 on right paddle, L3 on left paddle. Having face buttons and not taking your hands off the sticks is nice in some games, but in Jedi you have to CONSTANTLY reset your sprint, and it started to lilterally hurt to press L3 quickly while dashing around. Took me maybe 10 minutes to get used to it and I haven'[t looked back. It's such a good setup.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, mine has the non responsive A button issue. Gonna return and rebuy next year. Hopefully they'll have the issues sorted by then. And iOS support.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it makes it big difference. Since I got my Elite v.1 I mapped the L3/R3 to the upper left/right paddles and it is so much better. For Jedi Order, I also mapped "Up D-Pad" for stim to the left lower paddle so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick to activate a Stim. I have Screenshots mapped to the right lower paddle. Works great!

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
So I bought two Series 2 controllers - one from Microsoft online store (U.S.) and another one from Best Buy online.

The one I got from MS store last week was working fine the first couple of nights, but it now has a minor yet annoying issue with the right trigger when I engage the trigger-stop (hair trigger mode).

It now makes a squeaky noise whenever I pull the trigger. It only happens on the right side. Anyone experience similar issues?

Video w/sound:

In any case, I called support and they're going to send a replacement since it clearly is faulty.

Fortunately, the other S2 controller from BB works great. I've been having a blast playing Destiny 2 and MHW all weekend.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
I was using the tensioner tool, it slipped out, and now I have a small scratch on my controller. Any ideas for how to try and repair this? What exactly is the material on the controller face, is it just a rubber coating? I can't tell but I'm trying to figure out if regular scratch removers for cars would help.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the center-left paddle for sprinting for ages in games with my SCUF. It's a super useful button map.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I thought everyone knew and had the run button bound to the power left paddle. Basically mandatory.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
How do ya'll remove the dust/dirt that collects on top of the sticks around the "circle" for lack of a better word? I don't want to damage rubber.

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
This was an utterly disappointing purchase. How this passed QA I'll never know, but the sticking X and A buttons, the non-registering A button, and the drifting sticks are all symptoms on my defective controller. These issues were all present the same day that I bought it. Awful, awful hardware.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
This was an utterly disappointing purchase. How this passed QA I'll never know, but the sticking X and A buttons, the non-registering A button, and the drifting sticks are all symptoms on my defective controller. These issues were all present the same day that I bought it. Awful, awful hardware.
Sounds like yours might have gotten beaten up in transit it one controller has all of those issues. I'm lucky enough to have zero on mine.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like yours might have gotten beaten up in transit it one controller has all of those issues. I'm lucky enough to have zero on mine.
If it was just a single shipment/transit/store that could be the issue, but its not though. If you're interested check out Reddit or the Xbox forums, many people have been returning many (up to 6) of these controllers, spread over different stores and Lot no.'s, even receiving faulty ones from Microsoft after returning their broken ones the first time. Something has clearly gone wrong. It's literally a lottery at this point.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
If it was just a single shipment/transit/store that could be the issue, but its not though. If you're interested check out Reddit or the Xbox forums, many people have been returning many (up to 6) of these controllers, spread over different stores and Lot no.'s, even receiving faulty ones from Microsoft after returning their broken ones the first time. Something has clearly gone wrong. It's literally a lottery at this point.
Until we have an idea of how many issues there are vs. how many were sold we don't know what the failure rate is. That won't come out unless it's a real issue though.

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I would say it's a manufacturing issue as opposed to a transit/delivery issue. Nothing was damaged, I just have the same issues as many others have pointed out online. It just points to severely lacking quality assurance or faulty mass production.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My A button is starting to act up which is a problem in Rocket League. It'll randomly register a second input when going for aerials. Bleh. Not sure if I want to try and return to Amazon or just get it replaced.

liezryou

Oct 25, 2017
Does everyone get a xbox game pass trial with their controller? My friend got one in his but i didn't. Kinda wanted to try the outer worlds but meh

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Does everyone get a xbox game pass trial with their controller? My friend got one in his but i didn't. Kinda wanted to try the outer worlds but meh
I mean I did. Have you never used a Game Pass trial before? because I think they're only usable by people who've never used s Game Pass trial before. If you haven't I can just send you mine.

edit: It says "not valid for current Xbox Game pass or Xbox Live Gold members and previous trial users."
I didn't know about the "current Xbox Live Gold members" part.

Can still try it if you want it either way...

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that uses this, is it worth just getting the base license, or any of the extra features? The full bundle seems to be on discount.
I've been getting a ton of mileage out of the Combo function. In DMC5, there's an annoying issue where some moves require a simultaneous Attack and Breaker (B+Y default buttons) input. If you were to remap Breaker to RT, you'd have to hit Y+RT at the same time for some actions and that just sucks, so I have that set to a paddle input and it works out great.

Similarly, I've been designing a ton of weapon-specific configurations in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. While it takes some trial and error to find the right pause timings to make sure things work as you intend, I've been able to map every single weird input combo a weapon has into a single paddle press. One I have right now is a (Hold until Release) LT+R3+(200ms pause)B+Y to execute a Thousand Dragon bow attack consistently and it's a game changer.

Otherwise, 4 Slots is technically useful as a quality of life change, but I've failed to take advantage of it yet. I also feel like Advanced Mapping gets its toes stepped on by the Xbox Accessories app. I haven't been able to get much value out of rapid fire outside of an idea to make an infinite perfect-slide macro for Mega Man, but the hard Toggle option can be used to increase the amount of configurations you can have on a single slot. I had to give up the home button to make that happen, but I could which is what matters.

So how is everyone's controller holding up?
Ever since I've got ReWASD going, it's been pretty freakin' great. It's my new default controller for everything that isn't a fighting game at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered two of these.
One of them was fine, the other had the sticky A button.
Swapped it at Amazon and got another one with a slightly less sticky A button.
Will the button stop sticking over time, or should I just return the second one again?

Oct 28, 2017
I've been getting a ton of mileage out of the Combo function. In DMC5, there's an annoying issue where some moves require a simultaneous Attack and Breaker (B+Y default buttons) input. If you were to remap Breaker to RT, you'd have to hit Y+RT at the same time for some actions and that just sucks, so I have that set to a paddle input and it works out great.

Similarly, I've been designing a ton of weapon-specific configurations in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. While it takes some trial and error to find the right pause timings to make sure things work as you intend, I've been able to map every single weird input combo a weapon has into a single paddle press. One I have right now is a (Hold until Release) LT+R3+(200ms pause)B+Y to execute a Thousand Dragon bow attack consistently and it's a game changer.

Otherwise, 4 Slots is technically useful as a quality of life change, but I've failed to take advantage of it yet. I also feel like Advanced Mapping gets its toes stepped on by the Xbox Accessories app. I haven't been able to get much value out of rapid fire outside of an idea to make an infinite perfect-slide macro for Mega Man, but the hard Toggle option can be used to increase the amount of configurations you can have on a single slot. I had to give up the home button to make that happen, but I could which is what matters.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a new one after opening 4 faulty ones in a game store here. The owner was kind enough to let me test them before buying for sticky buttons and stick drift. He was shocked to see we had to open 5 as only the last one was acceptable. At that point i felt I had to buy it. Sticks are currently resting between -+ 0.07, so more deadzone than my v1, but acceptable I guess and the best out of all the controllers I tested. I just hope it doesn't get worse though.

It does mean that I was only able to find a working one after 8(!) faulty ones, spread over 3 stores and 4 different Lot no's. To those saying that the problems are just limited in scale, I just have to say I think you are wrong.

Today I've fully tightened the sticks and I'm keeping them like those, it's great!
I've put them on the middle one for the right stick and let the default on the left. The tight one hindered me too much in quick motions. The middle ones offer just enough resistance to stop overshooting when letting go of the stick, while still allowing the freedom of quick motions for me.

I think this together with the additional trigger stop level are the controllers best new functions for me. The normal Xbox One controllers sticks always felt way to loose to me when I first got them and although I got used to them I still love this a lot more.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
With the black friday sale on Xbox I picked up a few games including the ESO Elsweyr collectors edition which comes with Morrowind CE and Summerset CE for $26. What a steal. I put in tons of hours on PS4 and have a bunch of collectibles but I always hated how on PS4 Pro you had to select between 4k mode and 'enhanced mode', where on the X it has 4k with enhanced at once. Anyway to my point, the worst part of playing on console was using the dpad to switch between your weapon bars and I put that function on one of the paddles and it changed my life. Seriously its game changing being able to tap a single paddle and switching bars.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of getting one of these as a Christmas present, but I'm really hesitant based on the apparent qa issues.

Might wait until next year. Or just not at all.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first elite series 2 controller had an unresponsive A button. You had to hit it from a certain angle for the A button to not regiester. This was easy to replicate intentionally, but it almost never happened in regular use. However I did notice the issue once or twice in regular use I ended up returning my elite series 2 controller. Everything else about the controller was perfect so I was very disappointed.

I decided to roll the dice again and bought a second one. The A Button on this second controller is significantly worse. Whereas it was unlikely that I would have issues in regular use on my first controller, this A button jist doesn't work like 30% of the time. I'm going to return it later tonight before Best Buy closes. They had another one on the shelf, so I might exchange it and try that one too, but I'm concerned that the third time won't be the charm and might just end up returning it too.

I had no issues with my series 1 elite controller beyond the right grip peeling off. All things considered that was a non issue. My series 1 controller now has very minor stick drift on the left stick, but after four years of very heavy use id call that normal wear and tear. It's a shame that after two attempts I'm not having the same great experience with the series 2. I hope Microsoft figures this out because it is a beautiful controller and feels really good in the hand.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Controller update: I returned my second series 2 controller and exchanged it for a third. Before driving off I opened the controller to see if there were any lose feeling face buttons. The fucking left bumper was so stiff and didn't press in. Right out of the box. You can't make this shit up. Walked right back into Best Buy and returned it. The lady at customer service was very amused by this since she just sent me off saying "third times the charm" literally minutes before.

That is now three elite series 2 controllers I've gone through. These are not one off unlucky customers. There is a serious issue with elite series 2 quality control. Be cautious if you plan on buying one, and don't be afraid to be picky and return yours if it's not perfect. This thing costs $190 after tax. It better be perfect.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Remind me to bookmark this thread so that in two years I can remind people that will be "Nah build quality was good, you're imagining all the problems".

Has Microsoft issued any statement on this? I want to buy one but no chance am I rolling the dice now.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Remind me to bookmark this thread so that in two years I can remind people that will be "Nah build quality was good, you're imagining all the problems".

Has Microsoft issued any statement on this? I want to buy one but no chance am I rolling the dice now.
I don't think any of us would pretend there haven't been issues, but simply state we don' know what the % of QA issues there are.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They have acknowledged it. Hopefully this means they'll figure out the issue and controllers manufactured next year will be better.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I got my controller from Amazon -- can I get an extended warranty from the Microsof Store?

Also my D-Pad has a noticeable sound when you press up on it. Everything else is perfectly fine.