• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
First of all, I am talking about next gen where we will have Microsofts streaming console, Stadia, Sony will likely expand on their streaming offerings.

Second of all, I never said the numbers would slow down, only that the numbers would not hold as much weight compared to this gen. Especially if you can stream games to your phones & tablets (like Stadia)
next Gen Gamer have a clear Choice PS5+PC and Next Xbox will not sell well at all but what was Just a matter of time...

but will have to wait

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Slightly earlier than expected. Thought for sure this was going to be one of Microsoft's announcements at E3. Surprised they announced this on a random Thursday as opposed to waiting for their E3 showcase.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
At this point my xbox gamepass sub does not expire for almost 3 years. I believed I would be future-proofing myself in regards to all upcoming Microsoft published games on xbox and pc. And it has been great so far, allowing for seamless gaming across the platforms, with little to no difficulty in Crackdown, Forza Horizon 4, etc).

Now I will have to pay more I guess.

edit: Hopefully there is a decent way to prorate an upgrade to path to Ultimate. I don't want to pay an additional $5 per month, when I bought the gamepass subs at a discount to begin with. Maybe they'll allow you to migrate from xbox to pc gamepass.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming will be a small % of the market next gen. It will take to the PS6 gen at least. To act like the console sales themselves won't be the most important for the big 3 is ignoring the reality of the market.
PS6 gen? You're clueless. Streaming is gonna explode much, much faster than you seem to think. Mark my words, console sales wont be the most important figure next gen.
next Gen Gamer have a clear Choice PS5+PC and Next Xbox will not sell well at all but what was Just a matter of time...

but will have to wait
"a clear choice" dude get out of here with your bs. No one has any idea where the market will go currently until we see what each of the big players offer. So embarrassing.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
So Viva Pinata on Steam pretty please.

Also, did not know Outer World was on MS store. No need to wait for Steam release.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
At this point my xbox gamepass sub does not expire for almost 3 years. I believed I would be future-proofing myself in regards to all upcoming Microsoft published games on xbox and pc. And it has been great so far, allowing for seamless gaming across the platforms, with little to no difficulty in Crackdown, Forza Horizon 4, etc).

There is no news on whether they are separate or not, which will likely be announced at E3. What we do know is that it will be in Game pass Ultimate, which you can combine your XBL and Game Pass to get.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
PS6 gen? You're clueless. Streaming is gonna explode much, much faster than you seem to think. Mark my words, console sales wont be the most important figure next gen.

"a clear choice" dude get out of here with your bs. No one has any idea where the market will go currently until we see what each of the big players offer. So embarrassing.
Nice contradiction there buddy.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
We are in a time when the PS4 has sold 100m and will sell many more. The PS5 and Switch could both sell 100m. The profits these consoles bring in is insane. MS were forced to change their strategy due to lackluster xbox performance.

Sony will be happy with the shift because when it comes down to the consumer asking which platforms to buy the PS4 + PC combination looks more attractive then Xbox + PC.

I'm predicting next gen the PS5 will outsell the Next box at a faster rate.
yes but any way you slice it ms is getting your money.
ps4+pc= ms money from gamepass sub or just buying there games
xbox+px= ms money
switch+pc+ms money from gamepass sub or just buying there games
ps4=ms gets money from sony for using azure

so yes ps5 will out sell the xbox console but ms will probably make the most money

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ms store will be pushed as the Gamepass store. If you want to play through gamepass the MS store is the only option. Its getting a overhaul tho. So thats good news.

OP
OP
pswii60

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What's interesting is the publishers missing from the graphic:
XGP_PC-Announce_Comp_HERO-hero.jpg

Sure they say "over 75 partners" but they are going to show the major ones right there, and I doubt they'd be picking Deep Silver over Square Enix or Capcom. So it's safe to say they may not have quite the same partners on board for PC Game Pass as they do on console. Obviously publishers like Ubi have their own subscription service in the making, so it's understandable there. And it's not like Activision supports Game Pass on console.

But I'd imagine the big focus will be on day one original content, with third parties simply fleshing out the library. A bit like Netflix et al.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

While people still have data caps and slow internet, streaming will not become mainstream. Once that improves then sure, it might "explode", but even then there are still latency concerns to possibly overcome, especially for multiplayer games.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is big news isnt it? Hopefully the selection of games is good and there isnt a catch.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Now we got fortune tellers who can predict sales of next gen and how it will pan out. Laughable.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice contradiction there buddy.
You clearly lack reading comprehension skills buddy.
There's a big difference between 'streaming will become big next gen' (ffs Google's whole gaming platform is built upon it and MS are dedicating a console to it)

and your take that Microsoft will not sell, PS5 will sell big and that is was 'inevitable'.

Atleast I can support my claims unlike you.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Win32 in the Store is pretty huge news. It shouldn't be but nice turn around. Maybe not the biggest deal with Steam out there but it's a good option and show of hand that Microsoft are seeing things differently.

Lots of subs though. Drop Gold eh Microsoft!

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked that they are still keeping 100 games available! Gonna get this the moment it's out! Should be amazing for the plethora of smaller devs to get some recognition!

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While people still have data caps and slow internet, streaming will not become mainstream. Once that improves then sure, it might "explode", but even then there are still latency concerns to possibly overcome, especially for multiplayer games.
Googles testing last year showed latency is less of an issue for SP. I agree on MP though.

Its only a matter of time before data caps and slow internet become a thing of the past as we move further into the digital age.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
W32 for the store is good. Also remember Xbox took over gaming for PC from windows so expect some store stuff/improvement/changes also.
Wich is great. They are gonna push Steam with new releases and Gamepass for the MS store wich can be a good store also soon.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
yes but any way you slice it ms is getting your money.
ps4+pc= ms money from gamepass sub or just buying there games
xbox+px= ms money
switch+pc+ms money from gamepass sub or just buying there games
ps4=ms gets money from sony for using azure

so yes ps5 will out sell the xbox console but ms will probably make the most money
"the most money". You mean in general or just from gaming? Because looking at Sony's record breaking financial results MS are going to struggle to match that from just gaming. Overall money? Well that was always MS.

I've no problem with MS making money and buy many products from them but they are in a very weak gaming position compared to Sony. If their console sales drop further they only have the very competitive streaming and pc market left. No guarantee they don't badly lose that battle in the long run too.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

edit: Hopefully there is a decent way to prorate an upgrade to path to Ultimate. I don't want to pay an additional $5 per month, when I bought the gamepass subs at a discount to begin with. Maybe they'll allow you to migrate from xbox to pc gamepass.

When ultimate hits the public they will likely give you the same deal they gave us Insiders in which your XBLG and Gamepass subscriptions will automatically be converted to Ultimate.
For Insiders it was compound so 3 months of Gold + 3 months of Gamepass = 6 months of Ultimate.

But im guessing the public it will just meld the two together for the promotional period so 3 Gold + 3 Pass = 3 Ultimate.
But you never know MS might pull a fast one on everyone and do the same compound upgrade at launch........June 9th modafokas

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Thread-title don't give the announcement enough credit. Several nice things to see in addition to Gamepass on PC, like win32 on Windows Store and acknowledgement that UWP as a games format is severly lacking and further confirmation on MS releasing their games on several Games Store. Nice to see a humble acknowledgement of MS' previous failed fuckeries in the PC games market.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
For Insiders it was compound so 3 months of Gold + 3 months of Gamepass = 6 months of Ultimate.

But im guessing the public it will just meld the two together for the promotional period so 3 Gold + 3 Pass = 3 Ultimate.
But you never know MS might pull a fast one on everyone and do the same compound upgrade at launch........June 9th modafokas

Either of these would be convenient.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
We are in a time when the PS4 has sold 100m and will sell many more. The PS5 and Switch could both sell 100m. The profits these consoles bring in is insane. MS were forced to change their strategy due to lackluster xbox performance.

Sony will be happy with the shift because when it comes down to the consumer asking which platforms to buy the PS4 + PC combination looks more attractive then Xbox + PC.

I'm predicting next gen the PS5 will outsell the Next box at a faster rate.
Actually I think it's the opposite. The console sales are more likely a cost of revenue. A cost the platform holders have to comply in order from the profits that comes from selling the games and the services.

Ms is making a way to sell their games and services to a new audience without the need of having to sell a console at a cost or at a loss. This will give them a reach that is potentially even bigger than the 100m each Playstation sells, without the need of having to sell those 100m consoles.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
You clearly lack reading comprehension skills buddy.
There's a big difference between 'streaming will become big next gen' (ffs Google's whole gaming platform is built upon it and MS are dedicating a console to it)

and your take that Microsoft will not sell, PS5 will sell big and that is was 'inevitable'.

Atleast I can support my claims unlike you.
Google haven't even launched theirs yet. For all we know it will crash and burn. What we do know is that streaming is niche and it will be a long ass time before everyone has the ability to steam perfectly or even wants to. I think streaming will remain niche but the ps5 will be huge. The funny thing is the ps5 will be able to stream too. I've no doubt Sony's streaming service when fully launched will dwarf that of MS in terms of users and revenue.

If MS make money because Sony use their servers then good for them. They make money from lots of things.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Damn surprise announcement outta nowhere I thought for sure it'd be saved for presser, super dope they're bringing more games to steam

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Hope they add the Forza games to steam as well. I wanted to try them, but I do not want to deal with Windows store at all.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I never said that they would care, I care because I like buying consoles :).

Also if they keep doing the deals on the subs then I would hardly be giving them any money + I assume that Xbox Live will still not be needed so there's a loss of revenue from that.
Ah yes you found the loophole. Some people still don't get that MS wants you in there ecosystem. I'm like you I got deals on gold and game pass and being an insider I got ultimate until mid 22 for one dollar. So if it makes you feel better that you got one up on MS but are still plugged into their ecosystem, they are still A Okay with that too lol. And if you really like buying consoles that much they will gladly sell you a box of plastic to go under your TV! Again like when xcloud comes out, they want people plugged into their ecosystem. Also I'm not gonna loose sleep over the wealthiest company in the world loosing money over subs.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
This is great, they probably didn't hold of until E3 to announce it because now they will have a lot of PC players who will be tuning in to the xbox conference that otherwise may not have bothered.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
So is this Windows 10 only? Is it streaming?

Pretty much all the Microsoft games I want to play on PC but can't are because they are Windows 10 only. I'd happily subscribe to this if it meant I could finally play them, but the press release specifically mentions Windows 10, and I thought game pass was streaming with optional download?

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I'm guessing the Yakuza games will be a part of Game pass since I recall SEGA/RGG mentioning that they wanted to have the game on multiple "platforms" on PC

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
So is this Windows 10 only? Is it streaming?

Pretty much all the Microsoft games I want to play on PC but can't are because they are Windows 10 only. I'd happily subscribe to this if it meant I could finally play them, but the press release specifically mentions Windows 10, and I thought game pass was streaming with optional download?

Game Pass has nothing to do with streaming right now, as XCloud isn't released. Everything is downloaded for now.

It's likely it's Win10 only if that's all that's mentioned in the press release.

Jan 4, 2018
If MS's own Office is anything to go by, the same sub gives you acces to the service across devices, so I guess GP works across devices natively and Ultimate gives it the "Cloud" part (game saves and video stockage, game streaming...) to use it in devices not as capable natively maybe?

Hopefully with free multiplayer as a baseline across devices

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Great news but it does mean that there is literally no reason for me to get an Xbox ever again.

When they sell you an Xbox , they make maybe $20 profit off you.

When they sell you games, they make money from you every year.

When they sell you on Gamepass, they make a steady stream of subscription cash from you.

MS has long since figured it out with office 365 subscriptions. A steady stream of cash from you is better than selling stuff once off.