• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft reveals how much money Game Pass actually makes

Microsoft has revealed Game Pass earnings data to Brazilian regulators to help build a favorable case for the upcoming merger with Activision-Blizzard.
Right now multiple worldwide regulators are sifting through tons of games industry data. The massive Microsoft-Activision merger is looming and regulators have collected libraries of data, figures, testimonials, and expert opinions as they try to determine if the mega-merger is good for consumers and the $198 billion video games market as a whole.

Some regulators like Brazil's Administrative Council for Economic Defense (CADE) have already approved the merger. CADE released a public document outlining its thought process on the approval and included a ton of data on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, and others.

One specific figure shows just how much Microsoft makes from Xbox Game Pass on consoles. According to the data, Xbox Game Pass generated $2.9 billion from consoles in 2021. Based on data publicly available by Microsoft, Xbox gaming generated a total of $16.28 billion in calendar year 2021.

This means Xbox Game Pass made up roughly 18% of Microsoft's total yearly Xbox revenues ($16.28 billion), and nearly 30% of its games and services revenues ($12.581 billion) for the period.
88846_1_game-pass-made-2-9-billion-in-2021-or-18-of-total-xbox-revenues.jpg

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That means there are 2.9 billion subscribers since everyone is on $1 trials!

edit: I also don't think this includes PC

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
That doesn't sound like that much when they will have to run Xbox studios, Bethesda and Activision

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
3bn a year only? completely unfeasible to finance games with that money

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo made almost a billy on NSO subs?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That doesn't sound like that much when they will have to run Xbox studios, Bethesda and Activision

I don't believe it includes:
  • Revenue made from Microsoft Store from people joining Xbox due to Game Pass
  • People buying DLCs/MTX inside Game Pass games
  • PC Game Pass revenue
  • Indirect sales of games thanks to Game Pass
  • Sales of Xbox first party games on Microsoft Store + Steam
Think it's important to remember that Game Pass isn't like Netflix/Spotify, Xbox makes money in so many other ways that's not just $10/m and a lot of that extra revenue is thanks to Game Pass.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
People going to see this number and ignore MS consistently taking about the increased engagement and increased spending from subscribers.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

1 billion divided by $20 would be 50 millions subs. So that number doesn't seem out of line. Factor in some people getting discounts through the family plan plus the release of the NSO Expansion Pack, the number of subscribers is maybe over 50 million.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
I'm assuming this does not include micro transactions from games included in Gamepass that have them.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds pretty sustainable. MS making a lot of money via other means and still getting some nice revenue from GP. Can see it growing a lot more in coming years as they get more games/studios for content.

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022
Explain it to me like i'm 5, is this sustainable for not, especially Xbox put their first party on Game pass Day one?

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
That is likely an estimate. Microsoft submitted estimates for their competitors in their original draft and in some cases those numbers were replaced by the competition's numbers from their own responses.

Brazil didn't get any feedback from Nintendo at all because they couldn't find a way to contact the company, (lol) so there's no shot they got that number from Nintendo themselves.

Nov 8, 2017
Explain it to me like i'm 5, is this sustainable for not, especially Xbox put their first party on Game pass Day one?

Define sustainable.

This is enough money to pay for about ~20-25,000 full time developers if they had no other sources of revenue.

Games on gp still sell conventionally and some of them have micro transactions, so we would need sales figures and dlc uptake numbers before we could give a realistic appraisal. We would also need to know how much it cost for the deals they make with 3rd parties.

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's nice to know but this is like no news for me tbh, it's just math. A rounded 22m users for 2021 paying standard gamepass price ($9.99) for 12 months would actually be 2.6b. But many use Ultimate which is $14.99 a month, and there is regional pricing in some countries. The final number makes sense. We'll never know operating income though, that would have been great info coming out of these documents... but I'm sure that would be redacted.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Define sustainable.

This is enough money to pay for about ~2000 full time developers if they had no other sources of revenue.

Games on gp still sell conventionally and some of them have micro transactions, so we would need sales figures and dlc uptake numbers before we could give a realistic appraisal.

i think you mean ~20,000

Oct 30, 2017
At 25 million subs, that's an average of 120 per person per year.
Which could make sense as some people got the service for cheaper while others paid for GPU.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's better than I thought it would be. Having a predictable revenue stream is what companies want.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
For reference since PS+ revenue is missing and people are comparing across services here. Back of the envelope:

We can guesstimate the PS+ revenue with Sony given they publish sub numbers and we know the cost.

Per Jim Ryan, "over 2/3rds of PS+ subs are annual ($5/month), so the remainder must be either monthly ($10/month) or every 3 months ($8.3/month) or every 6 months I believe but can't find the price.

They averaged around 47M subs through 2021.

47M * 0.7 * $60 = $1.97B
47M * 0.3 * $120 = $1.69B

So $3.66B annually. Bring that down a bit since I used the high end $10/month sub for the remaining 30% and regional cost differences. Call it $3.3B - $3.5B for 2021.

Which tracks with the % brackets in the table.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
There is a number ascribed to game pass revenue (yet not exactly clear what it constitutes). There's not much more to explain as there is not additional disclosure or detail, thus any attempt to explain or deduce anything is…speculative.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
At 25 million subs, that's an average of 120 per person per year.
Which could make sense as some people got the service for cheaper while others paid for GPU.
Theres a bit of nuance theres as the number changed the entire year, from 18 million in jan 2021 to 25 in jan 2022. I would be its slightly above 130 usd per user.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

It's a lot when you combine revenue just off microtransactions for Bethesda and Activision. In 2020 and 2021 respectively, AB generated over 12 billion in revenue for those years. People this think acquisition is mostly about exclusives and taking shit off competitor platforms, but the microtransactions generated from AB alone is massive.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Well 2021 started off with 18 million subscribers and ended somewhere around 25 million (January 2022), so this doesn't seem like surprising news considering anyone could have easily estimated that. Well it might be news if someone seriously thought a large portion of subscribers were on back to back $1 deals, or if they thought an actual large percentage of people were engaging in the 3 year deal.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
The table is labelled Multiple game subscription services for consoles, so doesn't this include Gold etc too?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Activision hasn't been acquired yet and wasn't a factor in 2021.

Think of it this way.

If you roughly benchmark a AAA game budget at a (generous) $150 million dollars, that amount of revenue in one year would fund 19 AAA games (which obviously take more than a year to build).

I think this should be the death of the word 'sustainable' in any conversation about Game Pass.

Also given the Average Revenue Per User you'd get from those figures you'd have to assume the vast majority of users are paying full whack and aren't on $1 deals.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Many now we can stop speculating that licensing costs make it unprofitable and that all users are using the $1 hack.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Well 2021 started off with 18 million subscribers and ended somewhere around 25 million (January 2022), so this doesn't seem like surprising news considering anyone could have easily estimated that. Well it might be news if someone seriously thought a large portion of subscribers were on back to back $1 deals, or if they thought an actual large percentage of people were engaging in the 3 year deal.

It deals with the "everyone only subs for 1 dollar so they aren't making much from those millions of people" narrative.

Well it's a good thing Activision and Bethesda games will sell tens of millions on top of this, and then Xbox studios games on top of it.