• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
I was afraid of that. My Internet is down so I can't currently download it, but the early reveal made me think it would play like the Prey reboot or something. Later previews made me thing that wasn't the case, but maybe my initial impression was right.

Which parts of Prey did this game remind you of? As I don't see anything of the recent Prey in this.

And humour wise, I like it but maybe because I'm from the UK and the humour is very British which is probably obvious given that a British team developed it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which parts of Prey did this game remind you of? As I don't see anything of the recent Prey in this.

And humour wise, I like it but maybe because I'm from the UK and the humour is very British which is probably obvious given that a British team developed it.

Slow and clunky like Prey. I know it's an immersive sim, but the actual shooting mechanics, the movement, the traversal are in that game are pretty bad. That kind of movement is what I feared this game would have. I can't try it yet so I hope I'm mistaken.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
absolutely loving void Bastards, did the first big objective, got a lot of upgrades now and some good weapons.

Also it's nothing like Prey.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
FairyEmpire

I don't think you could call it an immersive sim in any way shape or form..

It's a rogue-lite FPS with a heavily stylized comic book feel, with a progression system reminiscent of FTL and quite a few interesting wrinkles around all of it. I don't think any of that sounds like Prey. It's a rogue-like through and through (cept with some progression).

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FairyEmpire

I don't think you could call it an immersive sim in any way shape or form..

It's a rogue-lite FPS with a heavily stylized comic book feel, with a progression system reminiscent of FTL and quite a few interesting wrinkles around all of it. I don't think any of that sounds like Prey. It's a rogue-like through and through (cept with some progression).

Yeah, I probably should have wrote it better. Prey was the immersive sim. The early impression I got from the first reveal that mechanically, the game's movement, shooting reminded me of slower, clunkier immersive sims like Prey. I know Void Bastards is a roguelite FPS. Other gameplay videos I saw later seemed to make it faster and less clunky, even taking a clue or two from classics like Doom. Reading a couple reviews complaining about the meh gameplay (not all, mind) and a comment earlier about how the game feels like a walking simulator, I feared my initial impression was right. Unfortunately I am stuck without Internet atm so I don't know when I'll play it. I will, though, and hopefully I'll like it. The concept is awesome but I need a mechanically satisfying gameplay to go with it because I'm "serious" about my FPS games. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outer wild shoWs available with gamepsss on Microsoft marketplace

Won't bother with dead by daylight so that's if for this month :)

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Downloading Outer Wilds now, and I am very very excited to play it. Void Bastards I feel a little whatever about. I was pretty excited to check it out. It seems like the ... bastard child of Cryptark and Heat Signature. I worry that the variety is not going to be there after what I've played (2 or so hours, a handful of upgrades... that kitty bot oh man) and that it is going to get stale quickly. It seems a bit difficult to get going. I will say it is not as hard as some other roguelikes in the beginning though. I have managed to grab 4 or 5 new items to use on subsequent playthroughs.

My first bastard was a smoker, so he'd randomly cough and alert enemies. Pretty funny, but also sucked =P

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The next Xbox game pass frontier........ ... ... . ...........

PC please #dirtyportbegging

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
From what i've been reading, no. I got my copy from Annapurna (PC) for review purposes.
Yeesh. Out of the entire drop of games Metal Gear Survive seems to be the lone X enhanced title. I wish Microsoft would send these indie devs some X devkits because I doubt they can afford it.

First world problems I know. But I avoided that base XB1 for years for a reason.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm still amazed at the value of Game Pass. Void Bastards and Outer Wilds. How the fuck is this even possible to get so many good games for such a low price. It's so amazing being able to play all these different games. Legit the best sub i have ever bought...

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh. Out of the entire drop of games Metal Gear Survive seems to be the lone X enhanced title. I wish Microsoft would send these indie devs some X devkits because I doubt they can afford it.

First world problems I know. But I avoided that base XB1 for years for a reason.
They could at least let you turn off frame caps or whatever. Maybe the CPU would bottle neck it anyway, but if not we get an "X enhanced" version innately that way.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many great games, argh! Void Bastards, Outer Wilds on Game Pass, all while I gotta finish Layers Of Fear 2 and check out other new stuff like American Fugitive and Hunt: Showdown. Usually the weeks before E3 are quiet - not this time.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Man this is awesome. Outer wilds and void bastards are the type of games I would have admired from afar, like the witness. I would acknowledge that they're good games, but I would hem and haw on actually buying the game until the moment had passed and I wouldn't give it another thought. Launching onto Game pass is so smart nowadays. I likely wouldn't have even touched these games if not for it, even though I know they're awesome.

Excited to see where this E3 takes the program

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Void Bastards gives me the same buzz as watching Jungle Run, when they did the Pyramid Maze. It's a hoot.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see MS doing better than this month. Outer Wilds and Void Bastards are service selling games, they've set an incredibly high bar and I don't know how they are best it.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
I just played about an hour and really enjoyed it. But then I quit the game and it looks like I have to start all over. How do you save your progress?

You don't, I suppose.
I mean the cycle is reset in every, I don't know, about 20 mins and the game do tells you when you quit to the main menu that it'll reset the current one. I've yet to find out if there's any "permanent" progress in it.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Void Bastards was so fun when I played for a while last night. It is a refreshing take on FPS to be sure, can't wait to play more later!

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds does not run well one the One X. I'm so ready for next gen consoles with proper CPUs

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Outer Wilds does not run well one the One X. I'm so ready for next gen consoles with proper CPUs
This is more of an optimisation issue rather than hardware. Give it a patch or two and it should get better. Nevertheless, I share your impatience:)

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I played a little bit of Void Bastards last night. It's a very cool game. I can't wait to play it again. I'm in the second phase or whatever of the nebula, any idea of how many phases there are?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass officially announced for PC. They'll share more at E3 but there's some info and partners already announced:

XGP_PC-Announce_Comp_HERO-hero.jpg

Plus some of their games like Gears 5, the AOE HD remasters and more are coming to Steam.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With game pass releasing on PC, my main gmaing platform, subbing to 2022 might just have been worth it after all.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
With Sonic Mania coming to PS+ I think it's a solid contender for a near future Game Please addition.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've asked this before I believe, but I wanted to check again in light of the latest round of rumors that Game Pass Ultimate will also net you PC Game Pass. I have Game Pass extended to the point that it won't let me input additional codes for time (I'm not sure what the limit is, I think it's in 2021 sometime?) and I have a few years extended on Live Gold. Is there any benefit to me combining into Game Pass Ultimate? I'm really just wanting to know in light of potentially getting in on that sweet PC action. I also happen to have about a year of Game Pass codes stacked up, so I'm not sure if I could even use those after "upgrading".

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm really bummed that I feel like whenever I play a game on my One S, 90% of the time it has big performance issues. Really keeps gamepass from being a slam dunk for me. I'm always debating if I "really" want to play the gamepass version of a game or if I should just buy the game I want to play on PC despite having free access to it on gamepass.

Outer Wilds is really rough on my S.

Status
Not open for further replies.