• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
since I only started paying attention to Game Pass recently, been googling past months to see what was added each month, especially upfront as the "showcase" games so to speak. Seems Shadow of Lara this month was by far the highest profile (at least the newest) they released, most of the other months was older / lower profile stuff:

January 2019

Just Cause 3 is pretty old, ARK I guess is the highest profile, at least indie wise, since Life is Strange 2 is just episode 1. Nothing that compares to Shadow of Lara really.

December 2018

this had back to back announcements and was pretty strong imo. Mutant Year Zero was a day 1 release, Strange Brigade is very recent, Hellblade and Shadow Warrior 2 are high-profile indies, and MKX is pretty big high profile "triple A", even if it was a bit old by then.

November 2018

This seems like a weaker month, with only Sniper Elite 4 being high profile. Keep in mind I'm not passing judgement on the games themselves.

October 2018

Back to a strong showing with Forza and Wolf New Order being obvious high profile games, and the Metro Redux (I assume Last Light was also added later in the month since both are on game pass) is also nice. Shantae on the indie side is also on the higher profile spectrum.

September 2018

Another strong month imo, with Halo MCC, Quantum Break and OnRush being quite high profile (was OnRush a day 1 release?), Snake Pass also a popular and new-ish indie release.

August 2018

Back to a weaker month imo, Hitman S1 and Ryse being the high profile games but both are quite old, but Dandara at least was quite recent at the time (and its great but again, this isnt about game quality per se).

If we continue to go backwards, the high profile or newer stuff starts to show up less and less, I can only imagine they were still ramping up the service, its only like a little over a year old right? Anyway I was just doing this little exercise to try and "guess" what we could see show up on it soon, here's some of the stuff I would like or could see happen (a lot of it mimicks what I want / expect on humble monthly aswell lol):

Elex - Released in October 2017 and been on sale a few times, and Game Pass is lacking in rpgs.

Kingdom Come Deliverance - Released in February 2018 so around 1 year old now, and has the added bonus of having dlc, I'm sure that much like Humble Monthly, getting the games "free" to push DLC is a big incentive for publishers.

Resident Evil 7 - Released in january 2017 so pretty old now, and would be a nice nudge to push people to buy RE2. I don't actually want this one as I already played it but can easily see it added.

Destiny 2 - Released September 2017 so enough time passed, has a ton of DLC to push, is on sale (and free!) all the time. Seems prime for a Game Pass addtion.

Fallout 76 - lol :(
Heh, I disagree with your assessment of quite a few of these things, but I get it. I think that's kind of the beauty of Game Pass, high profile/attention catching are not universal tags for most games that languish in the middle. Onrush was a day 1 for Xbox, it had been released on PS4 before that. Game Pass has and continues to have plenty of RPGs. Note that some of the bigger RPGs are on for a short period of time then go off, such as Mad Max, Fallout 4, etc. We'll see if Bungie deals with MS. Activision wasn't very forthcoming with many of their titles, so perhaps Destiny may find its way at some point.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
pswii60 or someone else who follows Game Pass and knows stuff - did I see you say at one point that Kyub previously left Game Pass and then came back? If so, how long did it take to come back? Currently obsessed but I've got GP already set for the next month and might prefer to play something else via GP till Kyub returns. Thank you :)

Also pswii60 have you played Wuppo? I saw your love of Metroidvanias and that is an amazingly unique and fun game we've recently played in the genre. We absolutely loved it. Not on GP but it's been on sale for $5 on XB1 recently and we got a good 20 hours out of 99.5%'ing the game. I'll probably write a longer LTTP soon.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
pswii60 or someone else who follows Game Pass and knows stuff - did I see you say at one point that Kyub previously left Game Pass and then came back? If so, how long did it take to come back? Currently obsessed but I've got GP already set for the next month and might prefer to play something else via GP till Kyub returns. Thank you :)

Also pswii60 have you played Wuppo? I saw your love of Metroidvanias and that is an amazingly unique and fun game we've recently played in the genre. We absolutely loved it. Not on GP but it's been on sale for $5 on XB1 recently and we got a good 20 hours out of 99.5%'ing the game. I'll probably write a longer LTTP soon.
Hey Nabbit.

KYUB mysteriously reappeared a few weeks after it left last year along with a few other games. I've got to assume MS were going to extend their time on the service but were a little late signing on the dotted line. It's probably left for good this time to allow some more new games to join the service.

I've never played or even heard of Wuppo before! Thanks so much for the recommendation, I'm going to check it out now :)

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Nabbit.

KYUB mysteriously reappeared a few weeks after it left last year along with a few other games. I've got to assume MS were going to extend their time on the service but were a little late signing on the dotted line. It's probably left for good this time to allow some more new games to join the service.

I've never played or even heard of Wuppo before! Thanks so much for the recommendation, I'm going to check it out now :)

Hi pswii! The pleasure is all mine. Thanks for your reply. I've noticed we often have similar taste in games so I especially enjoy your posts ITT and elsewhere. So, I'll just buy Kyub then. I remember you said you played it, too. I am proud to say we are halfway through World 2 with most of the stars collected. It's fascinating to see the Achievement stats for this game. Only 0.25% of players completed all the World 1 levels. So, it certainly feels great to progress in the game, especially since wife and I both feel it is exceptionally difficult. I suppose we'll see if we're addicted enough to pay for it

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Wuppo. I would have happily paid full price for it given the enjoyment we got. You may want to wait for a sale to check it out at a lower price, though. I think if we did not go for 100% it would have taken a lot less time to beat. (HLTB shows 9.5 hours for the main story.)

I'll also mention it's more the Super Paper Mario style of game of exploring the world and puzzles and some adventure game logic, with structure between a Metroidvania format and SPM format. The bosses are in a twin stick shooter format in a way. Not a lot of combat besides the bosses, but plenty of compelling and hilarious plot, dialogue and exploration. The game trailer probably conveys this better than I can.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Ball would make sense since the RPG is coming this year. Would probably be Xenoverse 1 if it happens, but 2 would be great.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I find it strange that Forza 7 isn't on GP when Horizon 4 is. It's still getting constant updates too.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I find it strange that Forza 7 isn't on GP when Horizon 4 is. It's still getting constant updates too.
Right?

I think it still sells. Like Horizon 3 hasn't dropped, even though 4 is in there. They gave us FH2 in either GWG or Game Pass about two months before the new one hit. So if they follow a similar schedule, Forza 6 would come this summer.

The two things that seem to trip up games being featured is cars and music, in terms of licenses, so I wonder if that might be connected. Otherwise it makes no sense that a core Forza game of some sort isn't on the service. It's why some games, like Alan Wake, disappeared from stores and can't be purchased any more. Racers with brand-name cars and games with licensed music are less likely to be backward compatible and/or featured in Game Pass because the contracts might not allow it. Also why some TV shows have different (and usually worse) music on streaming services (and DVD beforehand).

New shows and games are generally negotiated differently, I believe.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Headlander is awesome, I ended up 100%ing it over the weekend. Didn't even hear about the game before it came to Game Pass lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Game with Gold March games announced... PS+ March games announced...

40WB.gif

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I was going to say they always announce the next month's games shortly before the month starts but apparently that is not the case, as seen by the February games, which were announced on the 5th of February https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/02/05/xbox-game-pass-february-2019-update/

oh well :/
Yeah Game Pass is a weekly rather than monthly thing now with games added every Thursday (except day one releases). So they announce new games all the time throughout each month. The last batch of releases were announced on 20th February.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Game Pass is a weekly rather than monthly thing now with games added every Thursday (except day one releases). So they announce new games all the time throughout each month. The last batch of releases were announced on 20th February.

they always added more games then initially announced each month tho, they should still have the big "march banner" like they did every month so far?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Downloading Alien Isolation now. Not a huge horror fan, but I've heard good things about it from lots of people.

I'm not a horror fan, either. But I am an Alien fan, so I pushed myself into playing this. I'm really glad I did - it's probably the most immersive game I've ever played.

As someone not keen on the horror, I'd suggest sticking to one of the easiest difficulties - it takes some of the initial stress and long-term frustration out of it.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Quests would be a lot more fun if they weren't glitched. I ran into the Thomas Was Alone glitch, contacted support, and they were able to get me the reward points but they didn't fix the glitch. Now I noticed that Achievement Hunter is glitched and it's not even worth complaining about. I mean, I don't need the 600 reward points enough to send screenshots of the 21 achievements that qualify.

Hopefully they get it sorted soon, in theory it's a fun way to explore games you wouldn't usually give a chance. But if I can't check off the boxes it's just less satisfying.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I assume its when they announce the march games, and they will drop (or start dropping) on the 7th.

The 7th is a thursday which is when you guys said they do the weekly drops now right?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Now that Feb is in the rear-view mirror, what's everyone's opinions of it? Personally really enjoyed Crackdown's campaign. Just started playing Tomb Raider. Head Lander was the surprise of the month. Really enjoying that weird game. Overall turned into a nice month. Give the month a solid 8.5. Nothing ground-breaking or spectacular but some nice games.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now that Feb is in the rear-view mirror, what's everyone's opinions of it? Personally really enjoyed Crackdown's campaign. Just started playing Tomb Raider. Head Lander was the surprise of the month. Really enjoying that weird game. Overall turned into a nice month. Give the month a solid 8.5. Nothing ground-breaking or spectacular but some nice games.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider was a huge addition IMO. That game alone makes the month a success. I'll probably play through Headlander at some point. I thought Crackdown 3 was yet another first party disappointment, and it got boring super fast. Good but not great month to me.

Nov 1, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider was a huge addition IMO. That game alone makes the month a success. I'll probably play through Headlander at some point. I thought Crackdown 3 was yet another first party disappointment, and it got boring super fast. Good but not great month to me.

Yeah SotTR was a blast, enjoyed Crackdown enough to rinse both the single player and multiplayer for most of the achievements. If i hadn't already played Batman Arkham Asylum/City they would have been great to play, Headlander was a great quirky Metroidvania that didn't outstay it's welcome. Those were the games that stood out for me.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
I think this month was nearly the best month ever. Crackdown 3, SotTR, Alien Isolation, Headlander, Arkham Collection, and TWD Season 2. That is a really solid month. Topped for me only by December (even though this month had the bigger names).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
seems early for Reach if only because they have that Halo thing in April, seems it would make more sense then.

I'm sticking with my "its just the March highlights" even if you guys say they dont do the monthly announcements now (I mean, they did them every month including up until last month so its weird to me people are asuuming they dont do that anymore, unless it was specifically stated?)

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have Reach already anyway but on disc. Would be nice to finally have the entire collection on gp tho.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or does the difficulty in Headlander go from 1 to 100 too quickly? The sequence where you have to turn off like 5 power cells in one room, with respawning enemies comes out of nowhere, and made me give up. Not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.