• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Like thats not a starter level, thats a legit level. Guess they expected you to play the prev games. If thats a easy level..... God help me on the second.

Well it does have some tutorial elements. But the game is pretty forgiving. Don't get discouraged if you set off alarms in an area, you can go loud and clear it out without alerting other areas. I've only dabbled in the other games and 4 is a lot less punishing if you are trying to stay stealthy overall.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
DarkSiders 3 is, legitimately, really good; I think the metacritic score is nowhere near doing it justice. Going through some of the reviews, there a number of comparisons to God of War 2018, only expected I suppose, since it is of similar genre. I think those comparisons, plus the (now "Default") control scheme being a bit controversial probably hurt it more than it should have.

Now, I'm not going to get all hyperbolic and say that DarkSiders 3 is a better game than GoW 2018... GoW is obviously a very strong offering. But DarkSiders 3 is IMO the best DarkSiders game, better than 2 for certain. The combat has been pretty good, the puzzles are enjoyable... and for me one of the most important things is the exploration. I think this game does it really well, it feels like combining the essences of Metroid backtracking and item/power unlocks with Dark Souls exploration and discovery of shortcuts. It doesn't surpass either of those games, but combines those philosophies in just the right way to keep me enjoying each play session.

If I really had any criticism of the game, it is that it seems a bit too easy: of course I can up the difficulty, but I started my first run through on "Balanced" mode. If I go through New Game+ (which I would like to do), I would definitely want to up the difficulty. As it is right now I've certainly had a few close calls, but I very rarely die, and I've beaten most of the bosses (I'm about 5 or 6 bosses in) on the first try. Sometimes the combat/controls don't feel quiet right in "Classic" mode: this mode should allow the dodge to interrupt your attacks, and instant item use speed. I feel like this doesn't always happen for dodges, and definitely not for healing. But still, even with that to consider, if you play games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc, "Balanced" mode is probably going to be a bit on the easy side for you.

The only other thing I don't like is the consumables menu: it tries to do it like Dark Souls where you can scroll through a quick item menu, but it puts everything on it, giving you way too much to scroll through especially in the middle of a fight. The reusable heal has a hot button, but for everything else you are scrolling through quite a bit. Also this has caused me in combat a few times to accidentally use a valuable consumable (ex: Undying Shard) instead of healing in the middle of combat because I didn't notice I had hit the d-pad by accident.

But those are relatively minor issues, aside from that... if you like these kinds of games, and especially if you liked the other DarkSiders games, you owe it to yourself to play this game ;)

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I played it on release with the original controls and loved it. And I've never come close to beating a souls game.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Played some Rise and Shine, Westerado, Blazing Chrome, and Rime today. It's so great to be able to jump from game to game with no pressure on when to quit or keep playing.

Blazing Chrome and Rime are the only two I think i want to keep playing. I would believe you if you said Blazing Chrome was made in the 90s as a sequel to Contra Hard Corps which is an amazing feat, and Rime gives me all the good vibes that Ico and Journey gave me.

I like difficulty but Rise and Shine's difficulty didn't feel very fun for some reason.

And finally, Westerado is really cool until I realized most of my time was spent randomly talking to dozens of random NPCs trying to find the one that completes or gives me a mission. Its very disappointing because the game is so close to being absolutely amazing if not for that huge flaw in mission design destroying the pacing.

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I just pre-installed halo on PC and it downloaded in like 2 minutes? Is it downloading the entire game, because that seems way too fast to me...

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the answers all. Can't wait. I haven't played a Halo fir a while and I can't wait.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
There is Mutant Year Zero on GP is you want an XCOM like game, I've played it a bit and it's decent.
I love Mutant Year Zero. I play games slowly, so I hadn't touched it in a year. It's a really cool mix of 3rd person sneaking to set up the perfect ambushes. The mechanics aren't overly complicated, but there's a learning curve to understanding how to split groups up and take them out silently.

Even better, it's on xCloud preview right now. I loaded it up yesterday, started it right up where I left off. Still tons of fun. Feels like a good take on evolving xcom mechanics.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Remnant is too fuckin hard/cheap for me with bosses using waves and waves of enemies to flood the arena. Will probably give up near the end of the game. Too much frustration.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
DarkSiders 3 is, legitimately, really good; I think the metacritic score is nowhere near doing it justice. Going through some of the reviews, there a number of comparisons to God of War 2018, only expected I suppose, since it is of similar genre. I think those comparisons, plus the (now "Default") control scheme being a bit controversial probably hurt it more than it should have.

Now, I'm not going to get all hyperbolic and say that DarkSiders 3 is a better game than GoW 2018... GoW is obviously a very strong offering. But DarkSiders 3 is IMO the best DarkSiders game, better than 2 for certain. The combat has been pretty good, the puzzles are enjoyable... and for me one of the most important things is the exploration. I think this game does it really well, it feels like combining the essences of Metroid backtracking and item/power unlocks with Dark Souls exploration and discovery of shortcuts. It doesn't surpass either of those games, but combines those philosophies in just the right way to keep me enjoying each play session.

If I really had any criticism of the game, it is that it seems a bit too easy: of course I can up the difficulty, but I started my first run through on "Balanced" mode. If I go through New Game+ (which I would like to do), I would definitely want to up the difficulty. As it is right now I've certainly had a few close calls, but I very rarely die, and I've beaten most of the bosses (I'm about 5 or 6 bosses in) on the first try. Sometimes the combat/controls don't feel quiet right in "Classic" mode: this mode should allow the dodge to interrupt your attacks, and instant item use speed. I feel like this doesn't always happen for dodges, and definitely not for healing. But still, even with that to consider, if you play games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc, "Balanced" mode is probably going to be a bit on the easy side for you.

The only other thing I don't like is the consumables menu: it tries to do it like Dark Souls where you can scroll through a quick item menu, but it puts everything on it, giving you way too much to scroll through especially in the middle of a fight. The reusable heal has a hot button, but for everything else you are scrolling through quite a bit. Also this has caused me in combat a few times to accidentally use a valuable consumable (ex: Undying Shard) instead of healing in the middle of combat because I didn't notice I had hit the d-pad by accident.

But those are relatively minor issues, aside from that... if you like these kinds of games, and especially if you liked the other DarkSiders games, you owe it to yourself to play this game ;)

Darksiders 3 is a very underrated gem.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to bother with Darksiders 3 on PC. No achievements, no play

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. I bought two (24+2). Now I'm just waiting for the Newegg code for 3(+1) months, and then I can convert them to GPU. So thats 26+4+3 (3months GPU for $1)= 33 months GPU for less than $80!
I'm sure one day they'll stop these deals.

But until they do, this is great. I have a 3 month Xbox Game Pass code to redeem when my Game Pass Ultimate sub allows next month.

But between cheap and free codes I've kept at the 3 year subscription cap for a while now. It's great.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands

Thanks for your review. I'm a big fan of DS and DS2, flaws and all, so I was really looking forward to part 3. Going to jump in as soon as I've finished DMC5.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will be tying DArksiders 3 as well, the people on these boards got me interested. This specific thread gets me hyped on so many games.

Era can definitely hype up games, and they certainly helped me buy into games I wasn't planning on getting day 1. Sometimes it leads to disappointment (should have waited with The Crew 2), but with Game Pass the worst thing that can happen is me losing half an hour after I which I declare the game is not for me. No money exchange or anything. That's the great thing about the Pass, it just allows for such easy experimenting.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Posted in the gaming questions thread too, but, is there still no way to extend GamePass Ultimate other than buying individual years of Game Pass or Gold?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted in the gaming questions thread too, but, is there still no way to extend GamePass Ultimate other than buying individual years of Game Pass or Gold?

You can also buy codes for Game Pass Ultimate. Amazon had some Black Friday deals for them in various countries, 20 Euros (or around that in your regional equivalent) for 3 months.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
Old Man's Journey too, it's a point and click adventure game and if you use a guide you can easily rack up 800-1000 points in an hour.

Man, I loved that game. It's short enough as it is that I don't recommend anyone rush through it unless you really do hate this kind of game. Also I'd recommend everyone who's got feelings to at least try it out.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Do we know what date Ashen is leaving yet? I know it's in the Leaving Soon list but wanted to try and beat it before it goes, so a date would be nice.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Are there... really that many people who want to play Halo Reach?

It's probably my least favorite Halo game (besides 4).

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there... really that many people who want to play Halo Reach?

It's probably my least favorite Halo game (besides 4).

It's the only Halo game where the campaign was actually boring me. It felt like an enormous step backwards from the ambitious ODST, and it wasn't as memorable as the (admittedly cinematic and fairly linear) 4. It was just a classic Halo experience which wouldn't be that bad, but when the franchise managed to evolve past the tropes of "here's another generic green hill you climb while you push on them aliens" and increase variety dramatically, see a game just undo all that was not interesting to me in the slightest. Then let's not get into the multiplayer which introduced some stuff that should have never made it into Halo (those abilities). Happy for people finally getting the game they long have been asking for, but personally it's the Halo I played least all in all, and I don't think I'll even boot it unless I decide to do a full run of the series one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.