• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like the OT title?

• Yes

Votes: 265 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 16.9%
  • It's not my first choice, but...

Votes: 88 14.4%
  • Stop being so elitist

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • What's with this poll, anyway?

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • [screaming]

Votes: 68 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hyped for The Ascent. It looks like a fun couch co-op game I can play with family and looks to be fun.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This won't change. People who believe this don't understand how businesses operate and are using this disguise argument. I've never seen those people or media outlets say, "Mario Kart 8 exclusive to Switch? They are leaving money on the table. Look at the Xbox, PS and Switch userbase combined. The game would sell more!!!!".

It's concern trolling and wishful thinking mostly. They won't stop just because a company explains things and say they are fine. At the end of the day, Microsoft could bring those games to PS/Switch. But I don't see it happening for various reasons.
Yup, quite a simplistic take by them. Immediate influx of money isnt the plan, establishing usp for Gamepass is more valuable for MS.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
People are seriously still with the Xbox would lose out if games are exclusive?
Some are still saying this yes.
I believe it will be a 8 or 10 minutes video with a blog post resume. They'll overview every studio on Zenimax, showing some b roll footage of their past works (and probably announcing "Play today on Gamepass") mixed with some footage from already announced titles/trailers. Probably it will also end with Phil finally clarifying the exclusiveness situation, and saying the famous "We can't wait to share more with you in the coming months".

I'm not expecting any reveal or big thing.
Actually you got s good point here with the announcement of all Bethesda Xbox Ones titles coming to gamepass. Totally forgot about this xD

I wonder if Xbox saved their Fallout 4 BC version for this event/announcement, too. Will be interesting.
I'm at the point now I'm starting to think the arguments for Bethesda putting games on PlayStation is just bad faith. It makes no sense . Proof? No one else does it. The Wii U sold like 10 millions consoles Nintendo is by far the smallest overall company in the space and they didn't put Mario Kart on PS4 they rereleased it on switch and bam. When Sony was struggling with PS3 they didn't put Uncharted 2 anywhere else they rode it out built there library up and people came.

Ms literally does not need money from PlayStation it's a platform they do not control . They control windows so having games in windows benefits them.
And everyone knows people are just stuck in there camps and don't want to be enticed (forced) to come over. The arguments are bad faith everyone knows it they understand the distinction of Minecraft and they get why Death loop Pyschonaughts and Tokyo are multiplat. The arguments are bad faith
You are spot on with this. It arguing in bad faith or concern trolling.
Yup, quite a simplistic take by them. Immediate influx of money isnt the plan, establishing usp for Gamepass is more valuable for MS.
You are right, but even without Gamepass a user investing into the ecosystem is more valuable than someone spending 60-70$ on a game on a competitor console. Sure, all exclusives would sell more as multiplatform. But then you potentially don't get those people into your ecosystem and then you can't make money with them buying third party games on your store or subscription (Gold, Plus, Nintendo Online).
When Bethesda decides its time to show off Starfield, it won't be a quick discussion and trailer. 20-30 minutes of Todd Howard (+ cafe race leather jacket) glory.
I would like this, but I could see this video just being a welcome Bethesda video and not entirely focused on Starfield. So perhaps we won't be getting a full deep dive and instead a trailer with a announcement of the deep dive (including date).

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just going to repost what I posted in the old thread ...

I'm at the point now I'm starting to think the arguments for Bethesda putting games on PlayStation is just bad faith. It makes no sense . Proof? No one else does it. The Wii U sold like 10 millions consoles Nintendo is by far the smallest overall company in the space and they didn't put Mario Kart on PS4 they rereleased it on switch and bam. When Sony was struggling with PS3 they didn't put Uncharted 2 anywhere else they rode it out built there library up and people came.

Ms literally does not need money from PlayStation it's a platform they do not control . They control windows so having games in windows benefits them.
And everyone knows people are just stuck in there camps and don't want to be enticed (forced) to come over. The arguments are bad faith everyone knows it they understand the distinction of Minecraft and they get why Death loop Pyschonaughts and Tokyo are multiplat. The arguments are bad faith.
Absolutely. Or just plain denial.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I would like this, but I could see this video just being a welcome Bethesda video and not entirely focused on Starfield. So perhaps we won't be getting a full deep dive and instead a trailer with a announcement of the deep dive (including date)

If you're talking the welcome video, yeah, I'd expect just a cgi cut. I was replying to an E3 comment.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
Xbox needs to grow it's audience outside of the US and UK and you do that by making your product more valuable.
They also need to take those markets way more seriously. In Russia, they have less than zero advertisement, local pricing for Series X/S and accessories is a bitch, and most of all - Microsoft Store is in US Dollars and you can't buy Gold/Gamepass through it at all, you have to rely on retailers. It's a primarily PlayStation country (and despite what was said a few pages ago, console market in here is quite strong, I could elaborate if someone wants a perspective), and it's like Microsoft stopped trying altogether after 2014's Xbone launch in here.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
When are we going to update the OT with As Dusk Falls? I mentioned it missing in the last OT and it was never added then either.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I think doing Gears 6 before trying to bring a new IP to life is the better approach. Gears 6 is the end of Kaits arc or story and then the team could do a new game, while a small task force decides where to go from there in the Gears universe.

I understand but I have a different view. I think they want to get Gears back to being a top flight franchise for Xbox that drives platform interest. It's harder to do that with your first project on new hardware and a new engine version (UE5).

So my feeling is that they will do something else first (meaning it launches first, of course they will be doing prepro for Gears alongside the new ip game) to give Gears 6 more time to bake as a game, the franchise a little more time to build anticipation / rest, and themselves more time and learning to wring the full power out of Series X and UE5.

Then drop the new Gears of War as a really premier, "second gen" Series X title in like 2023 or 2024.

Ooh, maybe they could do Microsoft Flight Simulator, find the marker Easter eggs then you jump out the plane and it transitions to a Spartan dropping then he lands in a warthog but it's actually Horizon.

Good idea for a commercial.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand but I have a different view. I think they want to get Gears back to being a top flight franchise for Xbox that drives platform interest. It's harder to do that with your first project on new hardware and a new engine version (UE5).

So my feeling is that they will do something else first (meaning it launches first, of course they will be doing prepro for Gears alongside the new ip game) to give Gears 6 more time to bake as a game, the franchise a little more time to build anticipation / rest, and themselves more time and learning to wring the full power out of Series X and UE5.

Then drop the new Gears of War as a really premier, "second gen" Series X title in like 2023 or 2024.
I highly doubt this happens unless The Coalition have established another sizable team that can create another game alongside Gears 6.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they have multiple teams already. Gears 5 content, Hivebusters, Gears 6 prepro probably all represent "teams". I don't think it's probably too rigid as far how many teams they have, more like people move to projects as needed.
Perhaps I'm not being clear so allow me to clarify. The Coalition, as far as I know does NOT have a sizable team to focus on creating and developing a new IP or game outside of the Gears IP. Comparing Obsidian or any studio except 343i to The Coalition is an inaccurate comparison due to that fact.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Coalition absolutely has multiple teams, yes. The studio actively developed Gears Tactics with Splash Damage alongside Gears 5 (& even Gears Pop) as well.

With Greg Juby and Aryan Hanbeck, the studio has two Art Directors, so The Coalition is in the position to develop (at least) two games at a time. The studios past has shown that they actually work on two games simultaneously since The Coalition got created.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Coalition absolutely has multiple teams, yes. The studio actively developed Gears Tactics with Splash Damage alongside Gears 5 (& even Gears Pop) as well.

With Greg Juby and Aryan Hanbeck, the studio has two Art Directors, so The Coalition is in the position to develop (at least) two games at a time. The studios past has shown that they actually work on two games simultaneously since The Coalition got created.
This is what I meant. Am I wrong in believing otherwise?
Perhaps I'm not being clear so allow me to clarify. The Coalition, as far as I know does NOT have a sizable team to focus on creating and developing a new IP or game outside of the Gears IP. Comparing Obsidian or any studio except 343i to The Coalition is an inaccurate comparison due to that fact.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
This Bethesda video/event will just be Todd Howard telling us sweet little lies about Starfield.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is what I meant. Am I wrong in believing otherwise?
I guess it would depend on the scale of that second game. Two AAA games just by them without "big" outsourcing (like Gears Tactics) seems unrealistic, I agree.

I do think, though, there is very much the chance The Coalition is currently developing Gears Next + a new small to medium scaled Gears title (so kind of experimenting with new experiences within the Gears IP) alongside it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it would depend on the scale of that second game. Two AAA games just by them without "big" outsourcing (like Gears Tactics) seems unrealistic, I agree.

I do think, though, there is very much the chance The Coalition is currently developing Gears Next + a new small to medium scaled Gears title (so kind of experimenting with new experiences within the Gears IP) alongside it.
It's still Gears though. I was replying in context of PianoBlack who thinks there's a chance of a New IP game or game beyond the Gears IP before Gears 6 is released.

Jul 10, 2020
This Bethesda video/event will just be Todd Howard telling us sweet little lies about Starfield.
kptzkrbj3ow21.jpg

Delete this.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saying I think it makes sense. We'll see :)
Oh yeah, I can't say you're wrong because there could very well be a team focused on developing a New IP game or game beyond the Gears IP that we are unaware about. It's just at this point, I highly doubt it and think the odds of it happening go much higher after Gears 6 releases and the Coalition finishes their own Gears trilogy.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's still Gears though. I was replying in context of PianoBlack who thinks there's a chance of a New IP game or game beyond the Gears IP before Gears 6 is released.
Whether or not they build a -- just to give an example -- horror singleplayer game named Gears: Nightmares or Dark Night: Nightmares ultimately is irrelevant. It would be a new experience in both cases in all but its name.

The Coalition is a Gears studio and proud about the franchise. There is more than enough freedom within the Gears universe itself and I'm confident the studio will explore more experiences within that world.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not they build a -- just to give an example -- horror singleplayer game named Gears: Nightmares or Dark Night: Nightmares ultimately is irrelevant. It would be a new experience in both cases in all but its name.

The Coalition is a Gears studio and proud about the franchise. There is much than enough freedom within the Gears universe itself.
Agreed. I wasn't applying any value as to whether it's good or bad that they continue creating games using the Gears IP. Only just establishing within the context of my discussion with PianoBlack, that it's unlikely at this time The Coalition has a sizeable team designed to create and develop new IP games or games outside the the Gears IP.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
This won't change. People who believe this don't understand how businesses operate and are using this disguise argument. I've never seen those people or media outlets say, "Mario Kart 8 exclusive to Switch? They are leaving money on the table. Look at the Xbox, PS and Switch userbase combined. The game would sell more!!!!".

It's concern trolling and wishful thinking mostly. They won't stop just because a company explains things and say they are fine. At the end of the day, Microsoft could bring those games to PS/Switch. But I don't see it happening for various reasons.
I have my Series X so I don't mind if the games are exclusive or not. But you have to remember that Microsoft let some important "exclusive" IPs like Minecraft, Cuphead and Ori on other platforms.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I have my Series X so I don't mind if the games are exclusive or not. But you have to remember that Microsoft let some important "exclusive" IPs like Minecraft, Cuphead and Ori on other platforms.
Minecraft was never an exclusive IP. They own the IP sure but it was never exclusive. And cup head and ori were made by independent developers. Why risk those relationships when those games' sales and sub benefits have already plateaued

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
And I think it's more likely than the two of you do litebrite Klobrille. Gears is a great IP with lots of potential for interesting experimentation. I thought 5 was great, thought Tactics was an awesome spinoff concept (haven't actually played it yet but excited to do so), and am looking forward very much to 6.

That said, solely my opinion: The Coalition is arguably the best, most proven studio in XGS, especially if we are talking about the kinds of action games that attract the most attention. Gears, fairly or unfairly, is no longer the best vehicle *on its own* for Coalition to contribute their full potential to the Xbox lineup and continue to attract top talent.

And for the reasons I stated earlier I think the timing makes a lot of sense for them to do something else as they ramp up on next gen to make Gears 6 the best it can be.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I could care less what is and isn't exclusive. It has no bearing on me as a current Xbox owner.

What I do care about is some game news. They need to start talking..:even if it's quarterly videos or something.

the old Inside Xbox kinda sucked but at least it was something to watch lol (and no I don't need some hugely produced thing. Give us something like Nintendo Direct)

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019

I think there's a LOT of benefits of shifting the gameplay loop of gears to something more single player centric. Give Gears MP fans one last hurrah w Gears 6, but move towards an Uncharted gameplay loop. Can you imagine how well received that could be. Their character work is REALLY top notch. They're just hamstrung by the gameplay loop at this point

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Coalition is huge, if Obsidian can have 4 projects going they can have 2.
I don't think you can apply what works for one studio to another. Every studio has their own internal practices, and some prefer focusing on one game at a time. Which might be why Coalition's Gears 5 looks fantastic while Obsidian's games tend to have good premises but don't have high production values (that might change with Avowed, of course). Developing multiple games is great, but there can be downsides to spreading themselves too thin: a project might not get enough resources and be just good instead of great. It's always a balancing act.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I think it's more likely than the two of you do litebrite Klobrille. Gears is a great IP with lots of potential for interesting experimentation. I thought 5 was great, thought Tactics was an awesome spinoff concept (haven't actually played it yet but excited to do so), and am looking forward very much to 6.

That said, solely my opinion: The Coalition is arguably the best, most proven studio in XGS, especially if we are talking about the kinds of action games that attract the most attention. Gears, fairly or unfairly, is no longer the best vehicle *on its own* for Coalition to contribute their full potential to the Xbox lineup and continue to attract top talent.

And for the reasons I stated earlier I think the timing makes a lot of sense for them to do something else as they ramp up on next gen to make Gears 6 the best it can be.
The problem, I think, is the massive undertaking and time sink it would be for them to focus and develop a new IP from scratch right now as a huge studio, as they've just now started settling in fully with the Gears IP and likely believe they can do much more with it. Like it or not, Gears is a successful known quantity that's iconic to Xbox and establishes a certain safe and secure spot for studio employees than going all in on an unknown quantity that could possibly flop. However I can see them try a new IP or game outside the Gears IP, but only if they've gathered/hired another sizable team designed for this focus. Unfortunately I don't believe this has happened.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I think the best for TC.

It's to have 400 employees.

Big team on Gears 6.

100 dev (+30 dev if we add gears team help during full prod) on new IP with scope like Jedi Fallen Order.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I don't think you can apply what works for one studio to another. Every studio has their own internal practices, and some prefer focusing on one game at a time. Which might be why Coalition's Gears 5 looks fantastic while Obsidian's games tend to have good premises but don't have high production values (that might change with Avowed, of course). Developing multiple games is great, but there can be downsides to spreading themselves too thin: a project might not get enough resources and be just good instead of great. It's always a balancing act.

Of course, but as we've already mentioned they have multiple teams today. What did all the folks who worked on Hivebusters move to? Or as Klob pointed out, the team that contributed to Tactics? It's just a matter of what they choose to do next.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The problem, I think, is the massive undertaking and time sink it would be for them to focus and develop a new IP from scratch right now as a huge studio, as they've just now started settling in fully with the Gears IP and likely believe they can do much more with it. Like it or not, Gears is a successful known quantity that's iconic to Xbox and establishes a certain safe and secure spot for studio employees than going all in on an unknown quantity that could possibly flop. However I can see them try a new IP or game outside the Gears IP, but only if they've gathered/hired another sizable team designed for this focus. Unfortunately I don't believe this has happened.

I agree with all that - I think having the "safety" of Gears should give them space to try something new. And my impression is that they are easily big enough to staff a secondary project (see next quoted post) from current employees + modest additional hires as needed.

I think the best for TC.

It's to have 400 employees.

Big team on Gears 6.

100 dev (+30 dev if we add gears team help during full prod) on new IP with scope like Jedi Fallen Order.

Yes, I think maybe I wasn't clear that I would expect a new IP game to be smaller scale than Gears 5/Gears 6 and require correspondingly smaller team. No multiplayer, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.