• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Um, but they can, do, and have for 20+ years? I'm no Rockstar fan and don't care much for their games, but pretending any other studio does or can do like Rockstar is spectacularly ignorant. No one makes games like Rockstar, and even the best outside attempts haven't even come close (see the mountainous graveyard of supposed 'GTA clones and killers'). Hell, even Rockstar struggles to pump out a GTA/RDR every 5 years, and they're arguably the most well-funded studio in the industry.
Of course it's hard to develop clones like that, but in your hypothetical scenario in which Take Two doesn't care about market dilution, their other studios will have the full source code of RDR2, which would make developing a clone much, much easier. Rockstar's engine, the one they've developed for years, is what makes creating GTA clones so hard. Other studios just don't have the tech like that. CDPR proved how hard it is to make a sandbox GTA-like game from scratch. They spent half of Cyberpunk's development making the engine for it (and still couldn't do it). So you really underestimate the importance of game engine.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Some IGN-er's, current and former, are having a lovefest for their Series X right now. Don't read the replies.

Interesting. You know, it's certainly not the full story.. but I do feel like this maybe bears out what I've always said about narrative being more important than exclusive games, no matter what the internet tries to tell you. Exclusive games can contribute powerfully to the narrative. But Xbox is killing it without them. PS5 is killing it with very few atm. mmmmm Meh. lol

Cool pic, also when did Worlds Edge get a new logo

Weird that they put Contrast on here but not Bleeding Edge.
Or like.. Forza Horizon, perhaps...

eek

Oct 26, 2017
What's strategic partnership even mean? That's more than just having them develop a single title right? 🤔

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
What's strategic partnership even mean? That's more than just having them develop a single title right? 🤔
We have NO IDEA. It could mean that they develop games for Xbox. It could mean they use Xbox IP but on mobile specifically in China. It could mean that they use Xbox tech to enable game streaming in China. It could mean they'll be the ones to bring Xbox IP to the Switch in some capacity. It could mean a lot of things in a lot of directions that might or might not excite anyone here.

Still. This bit from their wiki seems.. intriguing. Are they branching out into larger dev and looking to find success in the West?

"In May 2020, the studio announced ex-343 Industries and Ubisoft developer Scott Warner as Studio Director in North America."

But remember, there's something weird about Xbox partnering with TiMi studios and NOT Tencent as a whole. That should either warn us of Tencent's now-grander ambitions for gaming generally. Or it should put a damper on our expectations for this partnership. Or both, perhaps.

IMO I doubt this is going to be anything to do with Xbox consoles. TiMi called out Xbox's games and IP, but not that it's one of the largest console platforms in the world. It would suggest that TiMi is allowing some level of access to a new market (China or Mobile or both) that Xbox didn't have access to before. Will there be a Halo MP experience to go with Infinite? Viva Pinata as someone said? I don't know. But why not.

Oct 28, 2017
We have NO IDEA. It could mean that they develop games for Xbox. It could mean they use Xbox IP but on mobile specifically in China. It could mean that they use Xbox tech to enable game streaming in China. It could mean they'll be the ones to bring Xbox IP to the Switch in some capacity. It could mean a lot of things in a lot of directions that might or might not excite anyone here.

Still. This bit from their wiki seems.. intriguing. Are they branching out into larger dev and looking to find success in the West?

"In May 2020, the studio announced ex-343 Industries and Ubisoft developer Scott Warner as Studio Director in North America."

But remember, there's something weird about Xbox partnering with TiMi studios and NOT Tencent as a whole. That should either warn us of Tencent's now-grander ambitions for gaming generally. Or it should put a damper on our expectations for this partnership. Or both, perhaps.

IMO I doubt this is going to be anything to do with Xbox consoles. TiMi called out Xbox's games and IP, but not that it's one of the largest console platforms in the world. It would suggest that TiMi is allowing some level of access to a new market (China or Mobile or both) that Xbox didn't have access to before. Will there be a Halo MP experience to go with Infinite? Viva Pinata as someone said? I don't know. But why not.
Zhuge pointed out that they are working on a AAA shooter that runs on UE5 and is set to launch on multiple platforms, so it looks like they are trying to move away from just being a mobile developer.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Zhuge pointed out that they are working on a AAA shooter that runs on UE5 and is set to launch on multiple platforms, so it looks like they are trying to move away from just being a mobile developer.
Yea, I do wonder. What would necessitate a "deep strategic partnership" with just one studio - even if they are branching out into AAA games. Though, to be fair, this "one studio" is bigger than all of Zenimax.. so.. hey, what do I know lol.

I think for me, it boils down to: is this about tech, IP, platform, manpower, or market penetration?

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
What if it's the typhoon game?
I guess we don't know how long this shooter might have been in development but that's my guess.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
3000 devs is huge like crazy huge. Felt like with a studio like this, a partnership is going to be more than just one game.
I can see the genshin impact way, a game that is going to run on pc, xbox and smartphone.
Genshin impact is beautiful even on smartphone, it feel like playing a true console games.
With them, perhaps they can make game like viva pinata for all platform, banjo, and even the équivalent of halo multiplayer on smartphone.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Did Quick Resume actually do anything? I would be floored and so excited if cloud saves started to include Quick Resume states o.o I mean, that might be a technical nightmare, but it would be SO COOOL to pull your progress mid-jump from the console to the cloud and back. Would probably break once you go to like PC, but... still yea. I mean, that would be awesome, I think.

I don't think so, but I never played that game on XSX before, only on One, anyway. Maybe if you ever get lucky and play on the same blade again? Or maybe upon closing a game the blade exits it and it won't work on cloud. I suppose it's just a thing on the interface when the blade is a Series.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I simply have to say it ... Whenever I watch these snippets in podcasts, Jeff simply *gets* Xbox. It's not just that he clearly knows things, it's also that he has the required understanding of the Xbox ecosystem and their strategy to make something out of that information. You really can't say that for some of the other speakers on these kind of podcast unfortunately. Some of the takes in that podcast alone really made me cringe. You can always tell how some of these speakers always frantically try to compare stuff to Playstation for whatever reason, which is simply not what Xbox is about.

Both Destin and Jeff are refreshing to listen to, because they both seem to be open-minded and they both clearly did their homework to understand what Xbox is bringing to the table.

I was googling to see if someone on ResetEra mentioned "Omen" and then ended up finding this really nice message, and I wanted to say thank you!

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I was googling to see if someone on ResetEra mentioned "Omen" and then ended up finding this really nice message, and I wanted to say thank you!
I always laugh at all the shots ya'll take at Era haha. But keep up the good work, it is appreciated. And yes, Omen has been mentioned (as you no doubt already know). I do find it funny to see insiders corroborating other insiders. A weird snake-petting-its-own-tail-in-a-slightly-odd-but-not-entirely-unwelcome-way type deal, you know?

Small update based on latest things I've heard:
  • Omen should be announced at E3; targeting Spring 2022 release
  • As Grubb has spoken to, Bethesda and Xbox showcases are being brought closer together. I've heard that they might be one in the same now, with Bethesda having a dedicated segment inside the grander Xbox showcase
  • Starfield will be there. Sounds to be more focused on space exploration than being an epic sci-fi saga. Think more No Man's Sky and Outer Worlds than Mass Effect. Just my take based on the little info I was sent so could be a bit off base. We'll see soon.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The SEGA news with expanding IP to all platforms is music to my ears. Glad to see Yakuza 7 did well given its wordlwide release on many platforms. Square-Enix should really follow this model, too.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The SEGA news with expanding IP to all platforms is music to my ears. Glad to see Yakuza 7 did well given its wordlwide release on many platforms. Square-Enix should really follow this model, too.
Forspoken and Final Fantasy are timed exclusives for the next generation. It might be quite some time before they make that type of change.
I feel like I've missed something. What's Omen?
I might be wrong, but I think that is the code name that people have given the Arkane Austin title.

Jun 15, 2020
Forspoken and Final Fantasy are timed exclusives for the next generation. It might be quite some time before they make that type of change.
I might be wrong, but I think that is the code name that people have given the Arkane Austin title.
Presumably Arkane Austin's next game. Might be an internal working title.
Thanks guys. If JEFFREY GRUBB was searching for it, hopefully that means he's gonna spill some info on it soon :)
Along with The Coalition's Star Wars game that he PERSONALLY PROMISED US!

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Jeff likely just saw the Omen title mentioned in Point's message reposted on the gaming leaks subreddit and got curious what it is about.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
E1HvBn5X0AENIZa

Finally got a Series X. Preparing for that Psychonauts 2. Why does Master Chief Collection gotta be so buggy btw? I'm pretty annoyed with the crashes playing Halo CE. Can't wait for some exclusives... I need more reasons to play this thing.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
E1HvBn5X0AENIZa

Finally got a Series X. Preparing for that Psychonauts 2. Why does Master Chief Collection gotta be so buggy btw? I'm pretty annoyed with the crashes playing Halo CE. Can't wait for some exclusives... I need more reasons to play this thing.

wait... how is it still buggy?!

I'll get SX by the end of year as well.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Battlefield is new news + Horizon Forbidden West was a shock to many like Digital Foundry.

Edit: There is also Godfall...

Yeah at the time most folks thought that next gen only games would hit right from the start, and Jim did believe in generations ;) for awhile. I'm not sure why folks are surprised i mean with the PC/Console closer dev stack tools and the pandemic/supply shortage and dev cost increase, it makes absolute sense to have the games cross-gen for the first few years, with the odd few games that will be next-gen only.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
E1HvBn5X0AENIZa

Having both consoles is like litterly heaven.. I have it too :) Enjoy having not nearly enough time in the day to catch up with all the games! :p

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
wait... how is it still buggy?!

I'll get SX by the end of year as well.
It's unfortunate. I finished a chapter of the game and it crashed during the cutscene. After 10 minutes I had to close the game out.
Having both consoles is like litterly heaven.. I have it too :) Enjoy having not nearly enough time in the day to catch up with all the games! :p
Yeah, not picking a side is the best way to go. Since gaming is my biggest hobby, I'd rather be able to play everything I want to play. :D

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
That's probably good, I hear China has a few people living there.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long to release, actually.

I really hope this opens the door for more Chinese games like Genshin Impact on Xbox. Always mention it not because I care personally but like, Xbox can't ignore one of the biggest games in China (and the world too) right now.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's unfortunate. I finished a chapter of the game and it crashed during the cutscene. After 10 minutes I had to close the game out.

Yeah, not picking a side is the best way to go. Since gaming is my biggest hobby, I'd rather be able to play everything I want to play. :D
That's odd because I played through all campaigns recently and I don't recall any crashes. I think I had one instance of no audio after returning via quick resume? But I may not be remembering right.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
E1HvBn5X0AENIZa

Do you have GamePass? It should fix that problem immediately.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

maybe the hint the game pass account posted on twitter the other day was about this

I'm hoping against all odds that Microsoft will work with Square Enix to port Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in Itadaki Street Special from Ps4 to xbox one and throw that on gamepass as it would be a great gamepass title and I could finally have a version of the DQ+FF version localized.

I know it won't happen, but I can dream :( I want my Japanese Monopoly with proper online play :(

Shiftymorgan

Nov 2, 2017
I'm honestly surprised it took this long to release, actually.

I really hope this opens the door for more Chinese games like Genshin Impact on Xbox. Always mention it not because I care personally but like, Xbox can't ignore one of the biggest games in China (and the world too) right now.

I have wondered why Genshin Impact hasn't appeared on Xbox,

I fancied giving it a nosey but I am not trying to play it on my phone.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019

I have them both. It's not heavenly. What would be heavenly would be having more time to play them 😂
Can relate.. Doesn't help that I almost like all the game genres from RPG to shooting to platform.. I can't keep up :')

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Sorry long post I coming 😬
I think Greg Miller was smart when he decided (I'm assuming this was his call) that if KF would talk more about Xbox, they'd need other people to do that. And it worked really great, because they found great people to talk about Xbox. Some older members have this "PS First" mindset, but I can imagine some things that vicious696 , Snowbike Mike and Gary say probably make PS fans upset too.
So I put the "bad takes" on individuals account, not on the channel itself.
That's absolutely true and sorry, if I offended anyone. I think the xCast crew does a good job about Xbox and it's one of my favorite podcasts. But it's frustrating to see the likes of Tim being so uninformed about the product. Perhaps it's just me, but I'd like to see crews of podcast having a decent knowledge about every platform holder. That's the basis for good discussions imo.
Seems like it. I played the beta back in the day and didn't really get excited by the gameplay. But I am always interested in remedy games and let's see what they can do for the singleplayer. I guess we'll definitely see it at E3.
5) Elder Scrolls VI: If they keep the exploration, improve the quests chains, especially for the groups you can join, and further refine the world building, I see the potential for it to leave the same impression of adventure and wonder as Morrowind caused me to have back in the day.
Just a crazy though, while reading your post. What if we can create guilds in TES6 and share it via a store for free? You could build a house, quests and design the outfits of the faction.
Services like GP will continue to ensure we get diverse games and genres.
Wouldn't it be ironic, if Gamepass ends up being the model for "traditional" games, while many third party move to F2P models?
Check the last two pages. It seems that Austin new project, Omen, it's going to be revealed at this E3.

The rumour is that it's a vampire game to be launched in 2022
I need a vampire game into my veins and I think Austin is very talented. Let's hope we see it at E3. 😲
Why stop there ? Might as well say 2029.

This community and the constant obsession with extra long dev times for xbox games is exasperating.

I wonder if people realize a 2025 release means more than 5 years of development?
Hahaha. Sad but true.
Wow. Thanks for linking this and it looks amazing. I want to play in this world!
Petty? Sharing their in-house signature code with another studio isn't required. In fact, Microsoft has been adamant about not interfering with the way the studios operate. They aren't going to force Bethesda to give their in-house code to another studio. That's a sure way to piss off a lot of the devs.
Luckily Zenimax studios already helped each other out before and even had the annual (?) event where devs show their project and talk about them internally. It's also not unprecedented, because Fallout Vegas was build using Bethesda engine.
They would want a TES game to feel like an "event" game; releasing TES clones using the exact same engine would only make all their games feel samey.
I think you put to much emphasis on the engine, because it's just the backbone of a project and games like Skyrim, RDR2 or GTA aren't easily copied. Developers like to help each other, evident by both XGS and Zenimax internal events and some external events like GDC.

Sep 7, 2020
Yep

Considering it's a year out, I'd expect a trailer featuring gameplay at the very least. Similar to how they first showed Deathloop and Ghostwire. That's just my guess though. Hopefully Xbox prioritize in-engine over CGI for the show.

EDIT: I'm actually just recalling that Deathloop and Ghostwire got CGI trailers first. Still, considering Omen is so close, I'd expect an in-engine trailer.

Yep :P
Thanks for sharing this information, cool stuff indeed. Do you know if MS plan on hinting at some of the projects that are unannounced but are further out or is the focus really on games releasing Summer 2021- Summer 2022?

Status
Not open for further replies.