• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
I was really hyped by the initial insider info that Perfect Dark would be a 3rd person action adventure reboot

However, the Mirrors Edge x Splinter Cell route they're taking has me sold! I hope that the story is also compelling and Joanna Dark is well written. This game could be huge for XGS

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Great change to the title!

Soooo... We've had thread titles with Phil, Matt, Todd, Bond... Who's next? Pete?
I'm only saying this because now this thread is going to fly by as E3 approaches.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
Nope. Nope. They're gone. You're all clear.

😈
agnes.jpg

i love the flood, and yes the library is awesome.

Jun 15, 2020
At the risk of building up everyone's hopes just to break their hearts again, I feel like something may be happening tomorrow.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
Anything big so far?

Forza Horizon 5 cross gen, set in Mexico, will be revealed this E3 and come out this year. Only started listening just now though.

EDIT:

Also, there seems to be an Xbox One version of Forza Motorsport as well. They say that it could ultimately be scrapped, but with Covid and the chip shortage worldwide we may see a bigger emphasis on cross-gen versions.

Talking about The Coalition. Confirm they're working on Halo Infinite and Gears 6. Do seem to agree that they'll put the franchise "on ice" after 6.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020
i love parris and the crew but they dont usually break news or leaks stuff right? i wouldnt get my hopes up other than the fact that there's a new xcast and that's always cool
I was thinking more like there's an embargo tomorrow and their show happens to land on the same day, so they could talk about it. It's either that, or they got a cool guest. They're clearly indicating it's not a run of the mill episode.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Forza Horizon 5 cross gen, set in Mexico, will be revealed this E3 and come out this year. Only started listening just now though.

EDIT:

Also, there seems to be an Xbox One version of Forza Motorsport as well. They say that it could ultimately be scrapped, but with Covid and the chip shortage worldwide we may see a bigger emphasis on cross-gen versions.

Talking about The Coalition. Confirm they're working on Halo Infinite and Gears 6. Do seem to agree that they'll put the franchise "on ice" after 6.
Interesting.

Horizon as crossgen makes perfect sense and I suspect that may be why they are holding off on Japan. I think Japan's geography and cities are better suited to take full advantage of raytracing technology.

Interesting about Motorsport. I would think if it's a live platform they would hold off for next gen, but in fairness, Halo is crossgen so idk.

I'm not adverse to having a really good Gears 6 and then taking a break for a little bit. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I think the arc that started all the way back in 2006 is coming to a close. I don't want it retired, but nothing wrong with some downtime to try new things. We wouldn't have got stuff like The Last of Us or Starfield without a similar approach.

Thanks for keeping me posted.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean, can you really fault people for getting hyped up? You retweeted yourself saying it was going to be a good week. We got all the Xbox news on Monday morning and other insiders saying "just wait until you see what else is announced this week". Nothing has come close to those great announcements we got on Monday.
I said it will be a fun week. I think it was a fun week with the biggest Xbox BC Enhancement drop ever (which I learned about the week before) and I stand by that, yea. On top we got new Psychonauts 2 screenshots and another Game Pass post.

I won't judge on the stuff other people teased though.

Independent from all that. I already previously said it's pre-E3. There won't be any major drops prior to that event, just like it's handled every year. I slowly feel like the news drops are getting more important to some than the actual content of the news itself. We received the biggest Xbox BC Enhancement drop ever this week, which mirrors many, many months of hard work by the team.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I said it will be a fun week. I think it was a fun week with the biggest Xbox BC Enhancement drop ever (which I learned about the week before) and I stand by that, yea. On top we got new Psychonauts 2 screenshots and another Game Pass post.

I won't judge on the stuff other people teased though.

Independent from all that. I already previously said it's pre-E3. There won't be any major drops prior to that event, just like it's handled every year. I slowly feel like the news drops are getting more important to some than the actual content of the news itself. We received the biggest Xbox BC Enhancement drop ever this week, which mirrors many, many months of hard work by the team.

I'm shaking my head about people as well. Already contemplating to give myself an E3 break again this year on here if this is what we'll see.

Though speculation is always fun, expectations sometimes are just so unrealistic and then posters brush over the Xbox's team hard work so easily, like for BC in this week's news. Some play too much of the game called Xbox Business Interpreter.

Just finished Nier Ending E BTW. What a game! :)

Last edited:

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
I slowly feel like the news drops are getting more important to some than the actual content of the news itself. We received the biggest Xbox BC Enhancement drop ever this week, which mirrors many, many months of hard work by the team.

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes, the way some people post and talk about these kinds of things, I'd swear they don't even really play games and get far more excited about the news regarding games than the games themselves.

News will come when it's ready. People need to relax.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
As soon as Microsoft offers Game Pass on Steam, they can close the Windows Store the next day. How would it work anyway? They're not the platform holder and their ecosystem is on Xbox consoles, the Windows Store and cloud. The only thing I could potentially see is a first party-only Game Pass variant on Steam. But I also don't think this is the right move at all for them. IMO Microsoft ist not on Steam for Game Pass, they're there because Steam penetrates markets where Xbox is not present or very weak, and also the userbase is just so large that it's hard to ignore.

Last edited:

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Sega/Atlus on Microsoft would be a big game changer. Sure, Final Fantasy is the household name for JRPG, but Persona 5 closed a TON of ground last generation when FFXV was a major disappointment (on the back of the XIII trilogy, which performed worse as the series went on). If the new SMT or Persona 6 were to end up on a service like Gamepass, while maintaining a PC release - it's not outrageous to think it could be more widely played than FFXVI.

Persona and Atlus are definitely in the ascendant, and launching on more platforms can only help, but FFXV is probably over 10 million sales at this point (it was a touch under 9m about a year and a half ago). Honestly, I think even if Persona 6 was on everything and FFXVI was only on PS5, FFXVI would probably still sell more, as most of the audience for both of those games are on PlayStation at this point anyway. It could be close though, depending on where the PS5 install base is when XVI hits.

Laughs in Amazon France

Laughs in Walmart Canada

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
As soon as Microsoft offers Game Pass on Steam, they can close the Windows Store the next day. How would it work anyway? They're not the platform holder and their ecosystem is on Xbox consoles, the Windows Store and cloud. The only thing I could potentially see is a first party-only Game Pass variant on Steam. But I also don't think this is the right move at all for them. IMO Microsoft ist not on Steam for Game Pass, they're there because Steam penetrates markets where Xbox is not present or very weak, and also the userbase is just so large that it's hard to ignore.
Agreed. The licensing and revenue sharing of game pass on Steam seems like a mess and unfeasible. EA Play on PC works because it's just tying the subscription, is all EA stuff and is still launching/downloading via the EA Desktop app.

Microsoft doesn't have that control over all the third party games, and the revenue from first party only game pass doesn't seem nearly as worth as just selling full price on Steam as it stands. Plus it complicates a somewhat fragmented service more than it already is.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
EA Play on PC works because it's just tying the subscription, is all EA stuff and is still launching/downloading via the EA Desktop app.
EA Play isn't all EA stuff.

On Steam, since it's integrated, it is. But on Origin/EA Desktop, there are third-party games.

People who sub to EA Play on Origin or through GP are getting a much better deal.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
EA Play isn't all EA stuff.

On Steam, since it's integrated, it is. But on Origin/EA Desktop, there are third-party games.

People who sub to EA Play on Origin or through GP are getting a much better deal.
You right. I was checking in the app beforehand and it was showing me the Xbox catalog not the full pc one

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

From Jez & Rand podcast :
  • Jez : Project Dragon (IO Interactive) is a major AAA game, a hugely ambitious connected RPG (MMO-ish?) Medieval fantasy IP, a connected server based game like Destiny or WoW. The project has been Greenlit/approved, it's far away but there could (unlikely) be an early CGI trailer at E3 since it's out in the public now.
  • Jez : Typhoon is more likely to be shown/talked about/unveiled this year, it's further on in development and closer to being released than the Dragon project. Jez thinks we should/might see the Typhoon game revealed this year at E3. Project Typhoon is an open world multiplayer game.
  • There are two others games that Jez knows about that he hasn't talked about/teased yet, not including the potential Kojima partnership.
  • Forza Horizon 5 will be in Mexico (or Latin America in general), doesn't know if it's cross-gen or not. Their opinion is that it probably/should be cross-gen, with the semiconductor shortage. Doesn't know if it will release this year.
  • Mentioned the Forza Motorsport Xbox One flight testing going on at the moment. Jez heard about an Xbox One version through the MS store delivery system, doesn't know if that version will be released or not. Jez's opinion is that they will release that version, due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage.
  • Jez has heard that Xbox/Discord integration is something they have been working towards for a while.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Would be weird to have a Xbox one version of Forza motorsport ready for public testing and not have it planned for release. Also, can't imagine that version won't be targeting a perfectly locked 60. Very disappointing honestly.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Forza Motorsport/Horizon getting Xbox One versions is something that makes complete sense to me honestly, given what we know about Turn10 and Playground.

They have full control of their engine, and they also both have successful games in their respective series that ran on the Xbox One as well, so I have to imagine that even with a full next gen update to their engine and all that entails (rendering tech, texture streaming, ray tracing etc) I have to imagine that they'll be able to backport the non-graphical elements (like simulation elements and some physics stuff) to be able to make a cross gen game that will be able to emulate the next gen versions on last gen without really holding back the last gen versions. Not even in a Forza Horizon 2 kind of manner (they'll likely have to compromise in Horizon for world design to accommodate the Xbone but I digress) but in an actual cohesive way.

Like the graphics will likely be the same or worse than their previous Xbox One counter parts on the Xbox One and not at all really held back on Series X, and gameplay wise I'm pretty sure they'll be able to pull it all off too, probably by offloading some stuff to the GPU or something

Also, if both Horizon and Motorsport are cross gen, that also pretty much guarantees 120fps modes as well

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Didn't Spencer straight up say not to expect anything first party to be next-gen exclusive for a few years? Given that people have been posting about Horizon and Motorsport coming fairly soon for a while, I had just assumed they would be cross-gen titles.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Didn't Spencer straight up say not to expect anything first party to be next-gen exclusive for a few years? Given that people have been posting about Horizon and Motorsport coming fairly soon for a while, I had just assumed they would be cross-gen titles.
Yeah though that "year or 2" was more from Matt Booty, but they both have said basically the same thing about cross gen.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I was really hyped by the initial insider info that Perfect Dark would be a 3rd person action adventure reboot

However, the Mirrors Edge x Splinter Cell route they're taking has me sold! I hope that the story is also compelling and Joanna Dark is well written. This game could be huge for XGS
Me too, if nothing else I just hope it keeps the 3rd person cover shooting and gadgets ala Deus Ex

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

He did, but then we saw Avowed, Hellblade 2, Fable, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, and whatever else seem be announced for Xbox Series S/X only.

We also saw the Xbox.com store page remove "Xbox One" from the Everwild & Flight Sim store pages, now it only mentions Xbox Series S/X and PC.

I would be surprised if Forza Motorsport became cross-gen because it isn't mentioned on the Xbox.com page. Same with Flight Simulator and EverWild, the "Xbox One" tag was specifically removed from those pages.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

From Jez & Rand podcast :
  • Jez : Project Dragon (IO Interactive) is a major AAA game, a hugely ambitious connected RPG (MMO-ish?) Medieval fantasy IP, a connected server based game like Destiny or WoW. The project has been Greenlit/approved, it's far away but there could (unlikely) be an early CGI trailer at E3 since it's out in the public now.
  • Jez : Typhoon is more likely to be shown/talked about/unveiled this year, it's further on in development and closer to being released than the Dragon project. Jez thinks we should/might see the Typhoon game revealed this year at E3. Project Typhoon is an open world multiplayer game.
  • There are two others games that Jez knows about that he hasn't talked about/teased yet, not including the potential Kojima partnership.
  • Forza Horizon 5 will be in Mexico (or Latin America in general), doesn't know if it's cross-gen or not. Their opinion is that it probably/should be cross-gen, with the semiconductor shortage. Doesn't know if it will release this year.
  • Mentioned the Forza Motorsport Xbox One flight testing going on at the moment. Jez heard about an Xbox One version through the MS store delivery system, doesn't know if that version will be released or not. Jez's opinion is that they will release that version, due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage.
  • Jez has heard that Xbox/Discord integration is something they have been working towards for a while.

Hm, so bar As Dusk Falls and maybe the Kojima Partnership (as we don't know if it will be online or not), XGPublishing are all multiplayer games... Oh well.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
So Avowed, do y'all think it will have a third person mode?
Doubt it. There's a reason so few games offer both modes: it's double the work for the devs, with having to create separate animations for third person and first person, and there are bugs that appear only in third person, etc. I know Fallout New Vegas had both modes, but it doesn't count--they were using Fallout 3's engine, with the third person mode already created by BGS. There's nothing wrong with just 1st person games, though the ability to see your character is always nice, especially in RPGs.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
www.resetera.com

The Ascent - Resolution and framerate info, Play Anywhere, crossplay details, Game pass for console and pc confirmed, game length

https://wccftech.com/the-ascent-qa-neon-giant-shares-info-on-game-length-crossplay-and-the-games-living-world/
Man....Whilst MS is definitely lagging Sony in the first-party front at present, and has received fair criticism for it, between The Ascent, Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim: Console Edition, The Gunk, Halo Infinite, Warhammer: Darktide, and others to come (e.g. FH5, Starfield) they've still managed a very compelling line-up of exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.