• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
After i was so hyped and very dissapointed by Xbox showcase a year, still i'm keeping my expectations in check. I mean, it is not that high.

Eh...that's fine. The biggest thing Xbox will have to do is create exciting demos. Whether Halo looked like Horizon 2 or not, doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things as long as it looks good enough. The bigger thing, is getting fans and newcomers excited. They need to put together an EXCITING demo because I was more disappointed on how boring and mundane last years Halo gameplay demonstration was over its actual graphics. Like they add a grappling hook and then proceed to create the most uninspiring scenarios.

Nintendo Switch games look like ass compared to PS5 and Series but Smash demos and Zelda demos just bring the hype. I don't need eye melting graphics to be excited. Horizon 2 demo was exciting and had a huge crescendo moment with the elephant running through the wall with Aloy gliding down. I just need moments like that.

TLDR: Xbox Marketing needs to step up to the plate.

Feb 15, 2019
After i was so hyped and very dissapointed by Xbox showcase a year, still i'm keeping my expectations in check. I mean, it is not that high.

I understand the disappointment but I can't remember the last time a game being graphically impressive mattered to me personally, as long as the game looks fun I don't mind if it looks "good" instead of "great" graphics-wise

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I don't expect Xbox games to look as good as PlayStation's. Look at how limited a game like God of War 2K18 is to look that good: an "open-world" game where you have 2 or 3 really tight corridors to explore. And the God of War series is my favorite one from PlayStation's catalogue.

I have a surprise for you!
I made this. hope you like it

Amazing! You're a really talented person.
Someone should tweet this to Phil himself.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
To this day it's still one of the best looking games I've ever played. I have no idea why more people don't talk about it...
Because people cared as much as Xbox did. Like...the game came out with no fanfare from Microsoft. You can't expect games to take a life of its own like Among Us. You gotta spend MILLIONS of dollars to create advocacy most of the time.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Considering what I mainly play are JP games, most are far from impressive looking xD it's most about art style with me.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018

I mean, a Starfield gameplay demo doesn't have to look as good as Horizon did in order to bring hype. As long as we get a good look at the gameplay, a glimpse at the story and the setting and some RPG goodness I'm confident there's gonna be so much excitement around the game

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I am expecting most of what Xbox shows is 60fps which changes things. I thought Horizon looked stunning but at the same time I am already realizing how completely spoiled I've become with frame rate. Really thinking about a PC build now

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

The show is a couple of weeks away, like come on. I will never understand this forced pessimism, do you think Playground is not going to blow people away with FH5 for example?

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. But "small" is a relative term. "Small" like "small" or "small" more like "smaller" compared to Gears. But yeah, my first thought would be something like Hellblade. And then there's the question if it's in the Gears universe or if it's something completely new. With their name I'd suggest it has something to do with the Gears IP. Or are there other news?

You're right that "small" is a bad word. It's probably more like "compact." Dense but sort of reigned in. Ultimately, it's there to show that The Coalition can do something else.

I really hope it's not Gears IP. I think the studio name is cute, but I truly hope MS doesn't hold them to that. I mean look at Guerilla Games. They've expanded from what they were. TC should be allowed to do the same.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Eh...that's fine. The biggest thing Xbox will have to do is create exciting demos. Whether Halo looked like Horizon 2 or not, doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things as long as it looks good enough. The bigger thing, is getting fans and newcomers excited. They need to put together an EXCITING demo because I was more disappointed on how boring and mundane last years Halo gameplay demonstration was over its actual graphics. Like they add a grappling hook and then proceed to create the most uninspiring scenarios.

Nintendo Switch games look like ass compared to PS5 and Series but Smash demos and Zelda demos just bring the hype. I don't need eye melting graphics to be excited. Horizon 2 demo was exciting and had a huge crescendo moment with the elephant running through the wall with Aloy gliding down. I just need moments like that.

TLDR: Xbox Marketing needs to step up to the plate.
Just want to state my agreement with this. You can tell they tried with the Halo Infinite demo last year… even having the little start screen / "begin demo" is a step towards this way of showing a game, but I agree the demo itself was a little flat content wise.

Hope they continue to refine the way they show their games and give them more opportunity to shine with extended and polished demos - Sony has a great formula that they've cleared nailed, worth learning from it!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't expect Xbox games to look as good as PlayStation's. Look at how limited a game like God of War 2K18 is to look that good: an "open-world" game where you have 2 or 3 really tight corridors to explore. And the God of War series is my favorite one from PlayStation's catalogue.

But GOW isn't meant to be open world at all, it's more like a metroidvania.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I could see that if MS does target 60fps but Sony are fine with 30fps. But Gears 5 and FH both look really great, even on a base Xbox One.

That and Halo are what I'm most excited for that are definitely coming to Xbox this year.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Titania I greatly underestimated your shelf expansion skills... Can you throw me on too after all? Awesome work!

it was reported as smaller compared to gears, could be anything. I just dont expect something multiplayer based because it would betray the whole idea of a side project just to test U5 and then move on to gears if you need to allocate resources as a live experience.

I think this is exactly right... Smaller as in, not multiplayer, not live service, no user content, etc. But I'd expect say a 15-20 hour single player game.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to state my agreement with this. You can tell they tried with the Halo Infinite demo last year… even having the little start screen / "begin demo" is a step towards this way of showing a game, but I agree the demo itself was a little flat content wise.

Hope they continue to refine the way they show their games and give them more opportunity to shine with extended and polished demos - Sony has a great formula that they've cleared nailed, worth learning from it!
Yea, Sony marketing is firing on all cylinders. They got it down to a science...similar to how Disney has Marvel marketing down to the tee.
Like Microsoft was teasing Open World Halo and teased a grappling hook and then proceeded to show off a 10 min demo not showing off any of the benefits of them going open world and barely using a grappling hook in interesting and unique ways. Like...the brand manager for halo must not be a gamer at all or missed the key pillars of the game or simply the studio just didn't have time to put something exciting together.

Welp....lets see this E3. Could give two shits about the graphics. I just need them to get me emotionally invested and excited to play their damn game.
I'm not worried about Playground because the gameplay reveal of Forza Horizon 4 was nuts with the car barreling through the stone wall and then revealing all these cars online in an open world. Bethesda....ehhhhhh, hit or miss. (Doom Eternal was fire and they didn't even try with 76 lol)

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020

But GOW isn't meant to be open world at all, it's more like a metroidvania.

I dunno. Playing through it feels like the game has cramped scenarios because they can't make bigger ones without reducing graphical fidelity. Maybe I'm wrong. Lets see how they manage it in a next-gen only God of War title.

I could see that if MS does target 60fps but Sony are fine with 30fps. But Gears 5 and FH both look really great, even on a base Xbox One.

If Horizon FW doesn't have a performance mode say goodbye to the 60FPS dream. Everyone will follow Sony's lead.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I totally disagree with the idea that the gameplay in the Halo demo last year wasn't good. It was GREAT, in fact. The only issue I had with it were the subpar visuals.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't the place to post this, but as a xbox gamer not sure where else to (and don't want to make a thread) - is it reasonable to expect to see CD Projekt Red's next gen patches for Witcher 3 and/or Cyberpunk soon (e3/summer game mess)? Could Cyberpunk be at the MS showcase, since they had the marketing deal for the original launch? Any buzz? Dying to replay both!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This probably isn't the place to post this, but as a xbox gamer not sure where else to (and don't want to make a thread) - is it reasonable to expect to see CD Projekt Red's next gen patches for Witcher 3 and/or Cyberpunk soon? Could Cyberpunk be at the MS showcase, since they had the marketing deal for the original launch? Any buzz? Dying to replay both!
Highly doubt it. They will want to keep that under wraps until it's polished, most likely. I think TW3 is being outsourced anyway, so who knows their timeline. I wouldn't expect an update until like a month out from their release maybe tops.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming your responding to me. The gameplay was fine...the demo wasn't exciting imo. Those are two different things.

It was a weird choice for sure. It seemed to rely on the big elevator ride to be the climax --- but it didn't hit like they wanted (we already knew to expect an at least semi-open world...) and none of the action surrounding it was all that exciting. In fact the trailer released alongside it (but not during the conference!) absolutely had more interesting engagements.

Then it ended in the least exciting and least impressive way possible - a strange brute closeup monologue.

Poor decisions.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for my yearly disappointment when none of Rare's old IPs make an appearance!

:(

A Banjo remaster like Crash & Spyro received or literally anything with Conker would be a crowdpleasing, youtube reaction certified moment.

I've seen people yearn for anything related to Banjo since Xbox One was announced, the fans deserve something.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
MS, or at least thier studios, seem to be emphasizing 60fps - and this isn't a new thing with the series consoles. I expect this to continue and even increase in frequency, though there absolutely will (and IMO should) be games that target 30 fps.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
This probably isn't the place to post this, but as a xbox gamer not sure where else to (and don't want to make a thread) - is it reasonable to expect to see CD Projekt Red's next gen patches for Witcher 3 and/or Cyberpunk soon (e3/summer game mess)? Could Cyberpunk be at the MS showcase, since they had the marketing deal for the original launch? Any buzz? Dying to replay both!
That's a press release they can put out this week, not an E3 headline. Unless of course it's coupled with a CP2077 on GamePass announcement, but even then I'd hesitate to pull CDPR to an E3 for a 3rd time.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
That's a press release they can put out this week, not an E3 headline. Unless of course it's coupled with a CP2077 on GamePass announcement, but even then I'd hesitate to pull CDPR to an E3 for a 3rd time.

Yeah, didn't necessarily mean at a conference - just seemed like it *could be* a game mess/Keighly level announcement. I'll hold out hope - though at least with Cyberpunk I wouldn't be surprised if it got sidelined for some major patches/reworkings.

Leonberger

May 3, 2021
Canada
A Banjo remaster like Crash & Spyro received or literally anything with Conker would be a crowdpleasing, youtube reaction certified moment.

I've seen people yearn for anything related to Banjo since Xbox One was announced, the fans deserve something.

I was literally thinking about this today. A full blown from the ground up remaster of the original Banjo would light the internet up! It would potentially also give whatever studio doing the remaster the practice to perhaps bring a new iteration of the series to us as well

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Also think this 60fps dream will be dead by next year. These cross gen and early gen games got people fooled.

With that said...Starfield frame rate could go either way.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021

Yup. I don't know how MS could look at the reaction to Banjo in Smash and not think "wait a minute... maybe we should do something with this".

Status
Not open for further replies.