• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Wolverine is so far away it will probably release around The Elder Scrolls 6, which will absolutely be bigger than Wolverine.

I really doubt TES VI will release anywhere close to Wolverine, the game will probably be their biggest ever and Starfield is still a year away. Wolverine is probably a 2024 title (Insomniac has 2 studios).

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you think the Xbox doomer mentality is bad now, then you'd better get ready for february/march when Halo Infinite is a couple of months old and the next big XGS project (likely Redfall) is months away.

Granted, it won't feel as bad as the previous drought because of FH5 and Infinite's launches in Nov and Dec, but we're likely looking at yet another XGS drought for the first half of the year nonetheless. We kind of already knew about this by looking at XGS' pipeline and what certain insiders have said, so hopefully 2022 is the last year where XGS experiences lengthy 1st party droughts.
Sony has zero games left this year and I don't see any doom either :) I think it's a different situation when you actually have games in the back pocket.

Q1 and Q2 2022 will have some Xbox timed exclusive however anyway, such as Stalker 2. And you will see stuff like FH5 Expansion, Halo Infinite updates etc.

I will be honest. I don't see much doom anywhere other than on this place here and even here only from the usual people. There is way more meta-commentary about doom and gloom than there actually is here. Even the reaction to the leaked Redfall images has actually been rather positive, excluding people who don't know about game dev.

XGS literally just released a GotY contender and will still release three AAA Games this year that are all shaping up fine, the announced roadmap of games is (much) larger than any other first party organization. I think we are just fine on Xbox :)

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I really doubt TES VI will release anywhere close to Wolverine, the game will probably be their biggest ever and Starfield is still a year away. Wolverine is probably a 2024 title (Insomniac has 2 studios).
Even Spiderman 2 may not release in 2023--they're only targeting it, and it's not like Sony doesn't delay games--so there's no guarantee that Wolverine is releasing in 2024.

It's totally feasible for TES VI to release in Fall 2025. Bethesda never released a second game in a generation later than 2-3 years after the first one (which always took 4 years). TES VI will be using Starfield's engine, and it helps that they have the lore, gameplay basics, and even the rough draft of the map thanks to ESO. The game won't take a lot of time after they go in full production. It's well documented that the Creation Engine is incredibly easy to make content for.
Skyrim was made by 100 devs in 3 years after Fallout 3. TES VI can be made by 400 devs in 3 years after Starfield.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has zero games left this year and I don't see any doom either :) I think it's a different situation when you actually have games in the back pocket.
Definitely. The PS5 had a very strong start to the generation that definitely must have softened the blow of this fall's souped up PS4 ports. Halo Infinite and FH5 will likely have a similar effect.

Q1 and Q2 2022 will have some Xbox timed exclusive however anyway. And you will see stuff like FH5 Expansion, Halo Infinite updates etc.
Not saying it won't have anything at all. But timed exclusives and expansions usually don't leave the same impression as a brand new 1st party game. And with Horizon FW and GT7 being released back to back next spring, as well as Sony's 3rd party (timed exclusives), I wouldn't be surprised if the doomer mentality flares up again.

Jun 15, 2020
If you think the Xbox doomer mentality is bad now, then you'd better get ready for february/march when Halo Infinite is a couple of months old and the next big XGS project (likely Redfall) is months away.

Granted, it won't feel as bad as the previous drought because of FH5 and Infinite's launches in Nov and Dec, but we're likely looking at yet another XGS drought for the first half of the year nonetheless. We kind of already knew about this by looking at XGS' pipeline and what certain insiders have said, so hopefully 2022 is the last year where XGS experiences lengthy 1st party droughts.
That's where CrossfireX hopefully finally comes into play.

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
Me too. I think Wolverine will be released earlier than TES6. And in all honesty, the prophecy started in the first game was fulfilled in Skyrim so the main plot line probably has ended.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That's where CrossfireX hopefully finally comes into play.

giphy.gif

Jun 15, 2020
I keep forgetting about CrossfireX. It was supposed to be released this year, right? It's a potential Q1 or Q2 release for sure.
Yeah, but there's a lot of weird stuff going around. Jeff Grubb said he heard it was in development hell, other people have said they heard Remedy's part was done but Smilegate may not be happy with it... I dunno, it's all messy.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Grounded 1.0 could be a Spring 2022 release. Unless it doesn't count, because it's an Early Access game.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not saying it won't have anything at all. But timed exclusives and expansions usually don't leave the same impression as a brand new 1st party game. And with Horizon FW and GT7 being released back to back next spring, as well as Sony's 3rd party (timed exclusives), I wouldn't be surprised if the doomer mentality flares up again.
Haha, true yea :)
Grounded 1.0 could be a Spring 2022 release.
Yea, maybe. I also don't know where As Dusk Falls fits into right now, that could be another one.

I have heard of one XGS release in Q2 that is not announced yet, but it's technically not a completely new game (not allowed to share sry). We'll see if that turns out to be true.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
What's the news from XboxEra podcast this week? I won't be able to listen until tomorrow, but I remember Nick teasing some rumor mill stuff? Any other fun insights or rumors?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I have heard of one XGS release in Q2 that is not announced yet, but it's technically not a completely new game (not allowed to share sry). We'll see if that turns out to be true.
I know it's extremely unlikely, but I would love it to be an outsourced Morrowind remake in May 2022 for its 20-year anniversary.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do you think that Stalker 2 can be released in the first half of 2022? Considering that the game is being developed on UE5, I personally doubt that we will see it in 2022.
I went with the official release date of the game :) 28th April 2022.

www.stalker2.com

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl — Official website

☢️ S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl is a next-gen sequel to the award-winning PC game franchise developed by GSC Game World, set to deliver a unique action experience of survival in the post-apocalyptic Chornobyl Exclusion Zone. Preorder is available on Steam, Epic Games Store, GOG...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Since Crossfire X has been announced, I've been looking for this gif. It's the Chosen Gif, the one that perfectly resumes how I feel everytime I see someone hyping Crossfire X. Thank you 😌🖤

(for real though, I can't be the only one that played the Original and the beta when it was available, right? That game is like, Road to Hell levels of bad)
I mean if we are honest. The game being average to good is a small change. The mp won't be making a dent and the campaign even by remedy is still some work for hire thing. I always try to be positive. But don't think it's gonna be something good. Also no gamepass day one release.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I think, with Halo getting pushed to December, The Gunk will get pushed to Q1, which is a game I'm really excited about.

Thunderful Group is INCREDIBLY slept on. The SteamWorld games are fantastic, and tbh, if they weren't a growing public company, they'd be a perfect pickup for Xbox.

Jun 15, 2020
I mean if we are honest. The game being average to good is a small change. The mp won't be making a dent and the campaign even by remedy is still some work for hire thing. I always try to be positive. But don't think it's gonna be something good. Also no gamepass day one release.
It's literally the most played multiplayer game in the world... pretty sure it'll "make a dent". The campaign, we'll see. Remedym even work-for-hire, is still Remedy.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
spicy, idk why people think PS can have licensed exclusives and not xbox. Also hope he has some news on persona coming to xbox but I'm not holding my breath.
I think it's the same reason people think the next elder scrolls has to go to Playstation. People aren't used to major titles skipping the platform. But if Phil wants to apply pressure to Sony to get GP on Playstation that's exactly what is going to have to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from star field and red fall we really don't know what's 2022 huh? Interesting.

edit:o stalker 2

edit2: I kno for most ppl indies don't count but for somebody like me stuff like Somerville next year is hype

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Contraband can also be a 2022 game. We always heard it was pretty far in dev.
I suppose it's possible, but we're already looking at Redfall, Forza Motorsport and Starfield for the latter half of the year. I'm guessing it will launch in early 2023 and will be one of the XGS games that will finally put an end to their winter/spring droughts.

Aside from star field and red fall we really don't know what's 2022 huh? Interesting.

edit:o stalker 2

edit2: I kno for most ppl indies don't count but for somebody like me stuff like Somerville next year is hype
Forza Motorsport (8) is probably a 2022 game.

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's possible, but we're already looking at Redfall, Forza Motorsport and Starfield for the latter half of the year. I'm guessing it will launch in early 2023 and will be one of the XGS games that will finally put an end to their winter/spring droughts.

Forza Motorsport (8) is probably a 2022 game.
Probably late fall tho right, they gonna let horizon 5 breathe pls dlc for it etc

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I still don't understand the reason to do that considering that you need TV in order to use Playstation.
Just a matter of having GP everywhere. I don't think that will ever happen though. Mostly because I can't imagine an arrangement that would be acceptable to both parties. I think having 3rd party games on GP is where it all breaks down logistically.

Jun 15, 2020
On PC in a different region. Sorry the most won't make a dent compared to war zone, Halo, CoD, Fortnite, Battlefield
A different region? Xbox exists in every region. Even if it only does ok in America and exceptional elsewhere, that's ok, it's a big world.

And no shit it won't be among the most popular games in the world, that's a crazy standard....

I don't understand how yesterday we were all agreeing that judging Redfall off a pre-alpha is nuts, but now we're writing off games based on a demo from a year and half ago. It's not even a game for me, but that's just a bad attitude. Do you, I guess...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
A different region? Xbox exists in every region. Even if it only does ok in America and exceptional elsewhere, that's ok, it's a big world.

And no shit it won't be among the most popular games in the world, that's a crazy standard....

I don't understand how yesterday we were all agreeing that judging Redfall off a pre-alpha is nuts, but now we're writing off games based on a demo from a year and half ago. It's not even a game for me, but that's just a bad attitude.
The game is mostly popular in Asia. Also I am not judging the game like Redfall. Just using common sense. And the other games being so popular has affect on this game to make dent. That's why I listed them

Jun 15, 2020
The game is mostly popular in Asia. Also I am not judging the game like Redfall. Just using common sense. And the other games being so popular has affect on this game to make dent. That's why I listed them
There's different levels to this. Insurgency Sandstorm is not among that list, it's still a success. Warface is not among that list, it's still a success. World of Warplanes, Tanks, and Warships are not among that list, they're all still successes. Like I said, judging this based on a year and half old demo is insane. I don't think a billion players are all playing a bad game because they're stupid (By the way, they're not all in one region either).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There's different levels to this. Insurgency Sandstorm is not among that list, it's still a success. Warface is not among that list, it's still a success. World of Warplanes, Tanks, and Warships are not among that list, they're all still successes. Like I said, judging this based on a year and half old demo is insane. I don't think a billion players are all playing a bad game because they're stupid (By the way, they're not all in one region either).
I never said anything about success

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

If Xbox cannot secure exclusivity for this, I say they drop the series after this first installment.

Having a super talented first party studio tied up for a decade+ with an IP you don't own and that isn't exclusive to your platforms is a no from me, dawg.

Full disclosure: I just want Wolf 3.

While I love Wolverine, Spidey and every other geeky pop-culture property, I'd prefer them to build and own (by way of acquisitions too) their pop IPs like they did at the time with Halo and Gears, rather than licensing IPs from another corporation that's already colonizing every side of entertainment.

I'll always prefer them to do a Perfect Dark instead of a Captain America, a Starfield instead of a Star Wars, an Avowed instead of a Lord of the Rings. They can build on and profit from these IPs, while licensed IPs definitely sell, but they aren't a great long term strategy.
Preach. I know it's a battle of opinions on this topic but you have my sword.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks - that was sort of my impression on the story front. I was also hoping to hear some impressions on whether Psychonauts is legitimately a great game to play or whether it's more just loved for the writing, humor, characters, unique concepts etc.

I tried mulitple times and couldnt get into it. Like you said, I found it too janky and a chore to play. Psychonauts 2 though is amazing.

Titania

Top Shelf Member
May 12, 2021
There is only one man who can make a Berserk video game.
But a Claymore game by Ninja Theory... Day one for me!

I like anime IPs (not jrpg plz) more than superhero IPs.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think, with Halo getting pushed to December, The Gunk will get pushed to Q1, which is a game I'm really excited about.

Thunderful Group is INCREDIBLY slept on. The SteamWorld games are fantastic, and tbh, if they weren't a growing public company, they'd be a perfect pickup for Xbox.
The devs that made Lost in Random and Fe are the other studio that made Thunderful group. And they've acquired 2-4 smaller studios over the last couple years too. I continue to think it'd be a really interesting pickup for Microsoft. So much talent and diversity in games. They're smaller, but with high production values. Thus, seemingly perfect for feeding Game Pass. And in Sweden, where a lot of other great studios/people are, including Mojang.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
If Xbox cannot secure exclusivity for this, I say they drop the series after this first installment.

Having a super talented first party studio tied up for a decade+ with an IP you don't own and that isn't exclusive to your platforms is a no from me, dawg.

Full disclosure: I just want Wolf 3.

Preach. I know it's a battle of opinions on this topic but you have my sword.

I could see a separate team in Machine just for Indy continue to make those games with a multiplat, day one on GP, and joint funding for development agreement.

But if Lucasfilm Games just licenses games and doesnt pay for dev, I would say that its not worth funding a team for a multiplatform game.

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
It doesn't make sense if the game is not exclusive. I mean, why wasting several years of development on the title that is released everywhere? Though, Machine Games and Godd Howard were both interested in Indiana Jones games so I can understand where MS is coming from.

Now I know the topic about KOTOR died, but one of the things I just realized is we literally celebrate 20th anniversary of Xbox and having one of the foundational titles announced exclusive for Playstation the same very year is kinda...weird. Even if MS did the math and thought they had enough RPGs, it would be such a nice thing to do. KOTOR even a third person game that Xbox lacks too. But alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.