• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pick a name, any name

• Say Hola to Halo

Votes: 62 12.6%
  • Age of Infinite Horizons

Votes: 144 29.3%
  • 20 years, 23 studios, Infinite Halo

Votes: 118 24.0%
  • Oh, I like it

Votes: 23 4.7%
  • …And the Horse You Rode In On

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Happy Anniversary Xbox!

Votes: 75 15.3%
  • You're safe now

Votes: 51 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That would just be crazy to me. I know this is a long term play, but fuck me.
It really isn't that long, if the deal closes in mid-2023, maybe gets delayed to 2024. Only really missing one CoD release from day one on Game Pass. A deal this big is probably going to get delayed, even if it passes through.. the DOJ sued Sony for Crunchyroll and it delayed it. When AT&T wanted to buy Warner, that got delayed. And the current DOJ wants to pay more attention to anti-trust. I hope it doesn't get delayed, but could totally see it. All it takes is one lawsuit from DOJ and it has to go through court.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Preview of E3 2023:

*Sarah Bond comes on screen right after a Call of Duty trailer*

"And yes! It's exclusive. 🎉🎉☺️☺️🤓"

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I am worried about Diablo and OW2 mainly. They had an existing relationship with them for COD, they couldve expanded that marketing to Diablo or OW2. In May of last year they already had test builds on PS5. Already thinking about "beta only on PS5" crap.

I mean have they ever had any marketing association with OW or Diablo? The latter being much more of a PC title with its history, I would put the chance at near 0%. Test builds are pretty standard practice and don't indicate anything.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of time exclusives Sony secured is ridiculous. We shouldn't be surprised if there are some unknown ones they had with Acti, they intended to bury Xbox according to insiders.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
The amount of time exclusives Sony secured is ridiculous. We shouldn't be surprised if there are some unknown ones they had with Acti, they intended to bury Xbox according to insiders.

I truly don't think there will be outside of Wumpa League marketing per Sullivan's link. What is there in the ABK portfolio to lock down that would even fit their strategy? The only thing would be older titles for Spartacus, specifically the back-compat catalogue of older-gen consoles.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Before we do anything important, if no one has suggested this yet, I would like to suggest a name for the next OT:

Xbox |OT17| Acquisition Blizzard

I think it's entirely possible that COD remains multiplatform for the next decade. We already know from Grubb that they at least considered Bethesda staying multiplat, but decided the revenue wasn't worth the benefits of building the brand through exclusivity. COD is a microtransaction machine, unlike Bethesda. That means a TON more revenue, which changes the equation. And it settles regulatory pressure, it allows them to keep everything else exclusive with far less resistance, it lets them compare favorably DIRECTLY with the biggest game of the year, every year. Yes, you can get this game on Sony, but you can get it for no additional cost here. Plus this makes sure that Xbox still has PlayStation native development knowledge in house (right now, it's only Minecraft), just in case they still want to make Game Pass on PlayStation happen.

And there's a year or more for fanboys to get used to it lol

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The thing about Overwatch 2 is that it's not really clear whether they plan on having it being a separate SKU or not. I think they've said the PvP is going to be pushed out as a free update for all OW1 players, they don't want players to lose all the skins they've collected over the years.

I dunno, I don't see Sony pursuing "marketing rights" or early access for an update to a game.

Oct 12, 2020
I just want OW2 to come out man. Multi, exclusive... please do something.

Never played Overwatch. Watched my nephew play it some. Seemed kinda cool even if the art style isn't necessarily my thing. Definitely seen a fair bit of excitement over this coming over to Xbox in this thread. I should probably see if the original is on Game Pass….

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think ms had Diablo 4 marketing. Im only basing this off the fact that i think ms had the marketing for diablo remaster

Jun 15, 2020
The thing about Overwatch 2 is that it's not really clear whether they plan on having it being a separate SKU or not. I think they've said the PvP is going to be pushed out as a free update for all OW1 players, they don't want players to lose all the skins they've collected over the years.

I dunno, I don't see Sony pursuing "marketing rights" or early access for an update to a game.
Yes, it is clear, it's a separate SKU.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
That and what Kobrille brings is just amazing. I need a gallery with all of this stuff lol

Yeah they are awesome!

still cant wrap my head around this

FJjMOcZWYAAP32J

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Before we do anything important, if no one has suggested this yet, I would like to suggest a name for the next OT:

Xbox |OT17| Acquisition Blizzard

I think it's entirely possible that COD remains multiplatform for the next decade. We already know from Grubb that they at least considered Bethesda staying multiplat, but decided the revenue wasn't worth the benefits of building the brand through exclusivity. COD is a microtransaction machine, unlike Bethesda. That means a TON more revenue, which changes the equation. And it settles regulatory pressure, it allows them to keep everything else exclusive with far less resistance, it lets them compare favorably DIRECTLY with the biggest game of the year, every year. Yes, you can get this game on Sony, but you can get it for no additional cost here. Plus this makes sure that Xbox still has PlayStation native development knowledge in house (right now, it's only Minecraft), just in case they still want to make Game Pass on PlayStation happen.

And there's a year or more for fanboys to get used to it lol

Jeff Grubb had no idea about this deal so I'm not sure why he would know that.

Also your second point doesn't make any sense if Game Pass was on PlayStation it would be a cloud app it wouldn't be native and even then it's highly unlikely.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Never really played OW. So 2.0 for PvP is akin to Warzone as a perpetual platform for updates?

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
If you mean Xbox, the console, I don't think that's dramatic. Eventually hardware will be phased out anyway as streaming becomes the mainstream way of playing games but we are still quite far from that point as internet infrastructure worldwide isn't good enough. In the meantime, the console is the main vehicle for bringing in customers to Game Pass. Unless Sony agrees to something completely crazy and self-destructive, like a long-term or perpetual commitment to allow the full version of Game Pass on Playstation with no fees collected, putting first-party content on Playstation would probably damage Microsoft more than benefit it.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Never played Overwatch. Watched my nephew play it some. Seemed kinda cool even if the art style isn't necessarily my thing. Definitely seen a fair bit of excitement over this coming over to Xbox in this thread. I should probably see if the original is on Game Pass….

It's not on Game Pass but probably after the deal closes.

But the thing about OW2 is that it's gonna be perfect for newcomers and casuals thanks to the PvE focus.

I hope we all can play it soon.

Oct 12, 2020

I think that is an entirely plausible scenario. At this point I just trust Phil and his team to do us, the Xbox player base, right. 👍

Jun 15, 2020
Never really played OW. So 2.0 for PvP is akin to Warzone as a perpetual platform for updates?
Overwatch 2's updates to PvP are also being added to Overwatch 1 and they can play together.

What you're really paying for with 2 is a PvE component. Which will include a 1-4 player co-op campaign. And a repeatable mode similar to Mass Effect 3's.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Jez and Tom have said Microsoft has experimented with handhelds.

Would love to see one with Xbox One power, that can play all the backwards compatibility and just have future (really demanding games) through xCloud and the next gen games that aren't as demanding, natively. I know people will say "just use xcloud on your phone" but I much prefer a native experience to cloud.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yes, it is clear, it's a separate SKU.
The way I understand it is that they'll be charging for the new PvE mode and maybe introducing that as a SKU, but it could also just be a DLC release alongside the 2.0 update.

PvP is where it gets less clear though. They've said that existing OW1 players will have access to any new heroes or maps they add into 2 for free. So if you only care about PvP OW2 seems like a big free update for anyone who already owns the first game.
Exactly, that's how I understand it.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

Jez and Tom have said Microsoft has experimented with handhelds.

Would love to see one with Xbox One power, that can play all the backwards compatibility and just have future (really demanding games) through xCloud and the next gen games that aren't as demanding, natively. I know people will say "just use xcloud on your phone" but I much prefer a native experience to cloud.

If the steam deck blows up MS will just buy Valve. At first this was a joke but now that I think about it it's totally possible.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Jeff Grubb had no idea about this deal so I'm not sure why he would know that.

Grubb is speculating that if MS were debating whether to keep Bethesda multi-platform, who largely make SP games, that they may want to keep CoD multi-platform given it's business model of MTX/player base health as the largest MP FPS game in existence. Having no insight to the deal is irrelevant, he's just hypothetically deducing based on prior knowledge. I'm not commenting on whether I believe it or not.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Grubb is speculating that if MS were debating whether to keep Bethesda multi-platform, who largely make SP games, that they may want to keep CoD multi-platform given it's business model of MTX/player base health as the largest MP FPS game in existence. Having no insight to the deal is irrelevant, he's just hypothetically deducing based on prior knowledge. I'm not commenting on whether I believe it or not.
Read what I quoted carefully.

Jan 4, 2018

Don't wanna be the bearer of bad news but we might have a problem here.

I think the MP is playing (a lot) too safe compared to the Campaign which tried a lot of new things (with a lot of success) or even Halo 5 (Warzone, Breakout, Sprint, Spartan abilities, etc.. with more or less success.)

MP should be bold and more friendly for casuals.
(although I think that Forge will be a big leap forward)

A 45-player mode with 3 teams (Red, Blue, Green, 15 players) competing against each other to reinforce unpredictability and tension. Or a Free for All mode too.

Taking place on a large map on Zeta Halo re-using assets from the Campaign with vehicles, Forerunner structures, Banished outposts and caves with Sentinels, Grunts, Elites, Brutes, Hunters, Phantoms, etc.. roaming and patrolling on the map and hostile to everyone. And Grappleshot equiped by default (with cooldown).

Drop on the map (more or less where you want) in a ODST drop pod in a cool way and with some equipment.

hikHWB.gif

55018b170e2f89cf59176cee07a661d4.gif

halo-master-chief.gif

You gain points by elimating other Spartans but also just by killing Sentinels and Banished (good for casuals and players with low skill, a Grunt or Skimmer is easy and fun to shoot) + by maybe accomplishing several time-limited objectives on the map or whatever (like destroying a AA gun or securing a Forerunner beacon). Best player or team at the end of the game is celebrated (like in Battle Royales).

Something new, shinny and ambitious built upon the strenghts of both structure of Infinite's campaign and Halo's sandbox and multiplayer.

Map set on the ring with Banished and Sentinels/Skimmers AI patrolling it. With some ambient combat/drums music somtimes too like in the Campaign (Heavy Artillery..).

97c562811a58dbdac3eb3ce031b2a2df80610e65.jpeg

60446ff1e7a288f28f1f3bb61573fbc9e9df7745.jpeg

Small caves (as alternate paths or to find Epic Loot)

e7a8c6e3056176b822d85e8aad655e186a6bdcb0.jpeg

d12263f49778f7d9a50e164889e948a97c463e1b.jpeg

6693ed82d9c31ea172965be74d0277092282a9af.jpeg

Forerunner structures (with Hunters, Brute hammer chieftains or Tremonius-like bosses guarding Legendary Loot)

0fe16b6941539a613d781937db2394a18e508517.png

f57b33cafb95153d9bcbf2578672fe110d0444ed.jpeg

20e7248d70e38ae5c4ee78a23326ab4de34415d6.jpeg

6da0af93f6ef01161e6b551d67be0a68185c2467.jpeg

Also a night variant of the map with torchlight + Banished outposts with AA guns (destroy these first to gain points or a AA Wraith, whatever..)

e8d24df796f7395d191d386e905dfc7453ba8ec0.jpeg

abae040f10178cc397392f2827e7870036950cbd.jpeg

2778bc9f42fe702981a891f4d2552a7fcc3a02d1.jpeg

Just letting my imagination run wild and it's hard things to do (+ it would probably weaken BTB playlist a lot) but I wish Halo MP in 2022 would go wild and take advantage of its incredible sandbox and new open-world. I play MP daily but as a BTB/Warzone player, I'm feeling a little underwhelmed. Like it would need more vehicles and more maps if there isn't a PvPvE mode like in Halo 5.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If the steam deck blows up MS will just buy Valve. At first this was a joke but now that I think about it it's totally possible.
I definitely see Microsoft interested in Valve when Gaben retires, but who knows when that'll be. Valve doesn't want to be sold currently. It would give them the best PC storefront, a standalone VR device, a handheld device... However I think an Xbox handheld would have more luck than the Deck, Linux isn't perfect and its chunky to fit those track pads for games that require mouse. I think an Xbox one with an optimized OS and games made for it, would fair a lot better. I even came up with the name: Xbox SP :D for Xbox Series Portable.

Oct 12, 2020
Where's Leisure Suit Larry? 😛

L-wink.gif

After Codemasters, the games are being published and distributed by Assemble Entertainment apparently.

Ah cool, thanks. Let's face it, ol' Larry's act wouldn't fly in this day and age...and most definitely not on Xbox. Probably best left in the annals of gaming history.

But damn, would I LOVE it if Xbox would do something with the other Sierra On-Line stuff. Gaming today wouldn't be what it is without those games from the 80's. A Sierra On-Line "museum" of some kind would be incredible.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Read what I quoted carefully.

I did and I still don't get your point. Grubb not knowing about either the ABK or Zenimax acquisition is immaterial. We know he has contacts at MS, who he could get knowledge of on their exclusivity vs multi-platform debate post Zenimax acquisition. He's deducing his CoD comment based on that knowledge learnt after the fact if we take him at face value.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely see Microsoft interested in Valve when Gaben retires, but who knows when that'll be. Valve doesn't want to be sold currently. It would give them the best PC storefront, a standalone VR device, a handheld device... However I think an Xbox handheld would have more luck than the Deck, Linux isn't perfect and its chunky to fit those track pads for games that require mouse. I think an Xbox one with an optimized OS and games made for it, would fair a lot better. I even came up with the name: Xbox SP :D for Xbox Series Portable.

It would never get through the government that is one move that will never happen.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

Just avoid the 90s pitfall whereby they pre-install Steam on Windows a-la Internet Explorer.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I know it is, and I'm saying that makes no sense.
Because he doesn't know everything then he can't know anything? That's not how sources work.
I'm saying that he can't say what MS is thinking definitively. (I'm assuming the user that I initially quoted used him speculating as facts about MS's decision making). This sort of deal this size doesn't leak to anyone hence why we had no reports about it not even leaks and MS themselves legally can't make any decisions on Acti until the deal is closed.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I'm saying that he can't say what MS is thinking definitively. (I'm assuming the user that I initially quoted used him speculating as facts about MS's decision making). This sort of deal this size doesn't leak to anyone hence why we had no reports about it not even leaks and MS themselves legally can't make any decisions on Acti until the deal is closed.

No one has said he knows this definitively. He's speculating based on prior knowledge that he learnt after the Zenimax acquisition, as it relates to their exclusivity vs multi-platform debate. We know he has contacts within MS, you can learn an awful lot once deals have been cleared and executed - it's up to you to believe or not what he says. I'm just saying none of his hypotheticals are inherently contradictory.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
No one has said he knows this definitively. He's speculating based on prior knowledge that he learnt after the Zenimax acquisition, as it relates to their exclusivity vs multi-platform debate. We know he has contacts within MS, you can learn an awful lot once deals have been cleared and executed - it's up to you to believe or not what he says. I'm just saying none of his hypotheticals are inherently contradictory.
That's the point I was making he's speculating lol which you seem to agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.