• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2017
Without knowing exact numbers, from the outside it looks like the Everwild team consists of many women/people who identify as such, absolutely love to see that. It looks like a refreshingly diverse team composition from what we know.
Makes me truly curious what sort of twists they might bring to the game. Unrelated, but I'm playing Wylde Flowers on Apple Arcade, and the entire game is very explicitly pro women and pro LGBT+!

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
www.linkedin.com

Raison Varner on LinkedIn: #gameaudio

Hello! We've got an opening for a senior sound designer we're still looking to fill for Avowed! Lots of opportunity for combat and spell work, creature…
Obsidian is still looking Senior audio designer for Avowed. According to the post Obsidian still working on the sound for spells, combat, creature design, Cinematics, and ambience.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's no trouble honestly, I'm bored out of my skull lol. Just wanted to give some context as to why I have missed some stuff.

Covid is no damn joke though. I've pretty much entirely lost my voice today. I can only imagine how bad this might have been were I not triple-jabbed.

Oh noooo, that's awful :/ Speedy recovery to you and may you find that voice and sleep back quickly! An hour of sleep a day sounds terrible. I hope you got some people around you who can do some groceries for you etc. I never caught Covid but my sister and her family has and I really don't want to get it myself. They say 15 minutes in a crammed room can be enough to catch it.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Oh noooo, that's awful :/ Speedy recovery to you and may you find that voice and sleep back quickly! An hour of sleep a day sounds terrible. I hope you got some people around you who can do some groceries for you etc. I never caught Covid but my sister and her family has and I really don't want to get it myself. They say 15 minutes in a crammed room can be enough to catch it.
I thought I was immune to Covid as I had had contacts with infected people several times, but then the omicron variant caught me finally around Christmas last year.

Covid wasn't particularly harsh for me, a slight sore throat and that's it, but the worst part were bouts of fatigue for about 6 weeks after getting infected. Like, I wake up on a random day and my legs feel like made of concrete, or being immediately tired when trying to concentrate. I'd never had something like that in my life, luckily it went away eventually.

Speedy recovery, In Amber Clad !

Nick says May/
Jeff says June/
It doesn't really matter/
Trailers coming soon!
Yeah, if the MS show is around June 10, it's ~90 days from now. That's close enough at this point and will come before we know it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I thought I was immune to Covid as I had had contacts with infected people several times, but then the omicron variant caught me finally around Christmas last year.

Covid wasn't particularly harsh for me, a slight sore throat and that's it, but the worst part were bouts of fatigue for about 6 weeks after getting infected. Like, I wake up on a random day and my legs feel like made of concrete, or being immediately tired when trying to concentrate. I'd never had something like that in my life, luckily it went away eventually.

Yeah, if the MS show is around June 10, it's ~90 days from now. That's close enough at this point and will come before we know it.

I browsed the NPD results thread, some folks seem truly emotionally distressed that Xbox wasn't last in unit sales. Big oooof.
Hope they can hold the momentum for the rest of the generation should supply issues cease. That would make it difficult for developers to skip the console. Market share matters and in a lot of cases it decides the amount of software available to your platform.

What you are seeing is simply a realization of that fact.

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
Hope they can hold the momentum for the rest of the generation should supply issues cease. That would make it difficult for developers to skip the console. Market share matters and in a lot of cases it decides the amount of software available to your platform.

What you are seeing is simply a realization of that fact.
XSX can't be called a "game console" until it has Aerith in 4K.

And i mean it.

BTW, It's a joke, please don't ban me.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox live down? EU.
When i start up Forza. It says there is service down time. And gives me a option to try again or offline.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Dan Neuburger, Game Director on Perfect Dark, has moved on from The Initiative. He was there for a good 3 years and 8 months. I think I slowly start to get the idea behind The Initiative. It looks like it's basically a studio that kicks off a project and carries it through concept, prototype and full pre-production phases, then carrying it over to full-production with assistance of another studio that has the needed manpower, in this case Crystal Dynamics. That also explains the "staying small & agile" comment and also ... The studio's name. While I realise some people will doom & gloom over it again, It could potentially also mean the game is further ahead than people think. 2023 could be on the table I think.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok cool, so I hope we get a gameplay tease this year.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London

Thanks! I'm hoping things turn around soon, but last night was the worst night so far. I was barely able to snatch minutes of sleep at a time.

The positive side is that, other than my throat feeling like the worst sore throat I could ever possibly imagine, the rest of me seems to be OK.

Thanks! My initial symptoms were fairly mild, but then my throat got way worse pretty much overnight :/ even drinking water stings a bit. I am a bit concerned about lasting effects too, as it seems to be quite common. I just hope my voice isn't permanently damaged - I can barely make a sound right now.

Thank you!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Dan Neuburger, Game Director on Perfect Dark, has moved on from The Initiative. He was there for a good 3 years and 8 months. I think I slowly start to get the idea behind The Initiative. It looks like it's basically a studio that kicks off a project and carries it through concept, prototype and full pre-production phases, then carrying it over to full-production with assistance of another studio that has the needed manpower, in this case Crystal Dynamics. That also explains the "staying small & agile" comment and also ... The studio's name. While I realise some people will doom & gloom over it again, It could potentially also mean the game is further ahead than people think. 2023 could be on the table I think.
The studios name makes sense now.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

How is that linked to people leaving tho?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How is that linked to people leaving tho?
I'd expect his work to be done basically. People often leave after a project is done, that's common in game dev. I agree that it would obviously optimal if all people stay and teams stays completely intact beyond a project, but that's rarely the case. Not even studios like Naughty Dog achieve that.

It's always hard to tell from the outside, I'm not really in the position to judge over a personal decision that could have many causes.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'd expect his work to be done basically. People often leave after a project is done, that's common in game dev. I agree that it would obviously optimal if all people stay and teams stays completely intact beyond a project, but that's rarely the case. Not even studios like Naughty Dog achieve that.

It's always hard to tell from the outside, I'm not really in the person to judge over a personal decision that could have many causes.
Just trying to link it to "small and agile" really. But if everyone leaves after the pre production is done then i dont know.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

I don't want to doom and gloom over it, but your conclusion that the game is doing better than expected because the game director left is odd. A game director leaving mid-development very rarely means anything good. No doom & gloom'ing--but seeing it as a positive sign is just weird to me. People here were convinced that Crystal Dynamics were basically a support studio when the collaboration was announced, and now apparently all the Initiative does is create the concept of the game before moving on? I don't think it works that way. A game director usually sees the project to its launch.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't want to doom and gloom over it, but your conclusion that the game is doing better than expected because the game director left is odd. A game director leaving mid-development very rarely means anything good. No doom & gloom'ing--but seeing it as a positive sign is just weird to me. People here were convinced that Crystal Dynamics were basically a support studio when the collaboration was announced, and now apparently all the Initiative does is create the concept of the game before moving on? I don't think it works that way. A game director usually sees the project to its launch.
Just trying to make my logical conclusions here really. If you think it means the project is in trouble, then so it shall be. That's fine. I get it, even. It's not "a good look" from the outside, I even would agree with that.

I think it means Perfect Dark is a 2023 candidate. Make out of that what you want.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Just trying to make my logical conclusions here really. If you think it means the project is in trouble, then so it shall be. That's fine.
I hope the project isn't in trouble and the game director might have left because of personal reasons, unrelated to the project's progress. I just don't see it as a positive sign. It's not necessarily a negative sign, but it's not a positive sign, either.

Sipahi

Jan 30, 2021
Yes. But does that mean like in the case Neuburger, that he comes back for the next game?
Probably not. Notice how the key positions are leaving? They most likely want to move onto other projects since they are big names. New directors will join, old ones will leave. But I think they will float around the 60 people mark. They are basically and incubation team.

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021

I always thought PD was farther along than the public think it is. Look at some of the recent job listing Franchise Direct and Franchise art Director

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hope the project isn't in trouble and the game director might have left because of personal reasons, unrelated to the project's progress. I just don't see it as a positive sign. It's not necessarily a negative sign, but it's not a positive sign, either.
I never said it's a "positive sign" though. I said this might mean the game is further ahead in dev than we thought. And I stand by that. That's a neutral conclusion. Again, it could also mean bad things. We simply don't know.

Jan 4, 2018
Maybe the new Game Director is at Crystal Dynamics now. There must be someone leading the project on their side when The Initiative partnered with them last September.

Because Crystal Dynamics doesn't seem to be just a support or outsourcing studio to me. Rather co-dev.

Last edited:

GlobeGamer

Aug 26, 2021
Maybe the new Game Director is at Crystal Dynamics now. There must be someone leading the project on their side when The Initiative partnered with them last September.

Because Crystal Dynamics doesn't seem to be just a support studio to me. Rather co-dev.
EXACTLY ! There has been some Job listing at the initiative for Example Art Director position was fulfilled but there is no art director at the initiative. So the art director must be at Crystal Dynamics

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
From Darrell's past comments about TI, the studio was never meant to operate like any other studio/developer in the industry. Btw TI and CD there will be some overlaps also CD made the first TR reboot while Darell was studio head and btw TI and CD I believe most of the major roles needed to bring PD to completion are covered....also this is just speculation on my part but if this goes well I wouldn't be surprised if MS tried to purchase CD.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

I agree with The initiative goal, the studio himself said that they want to find a new way to deliver AAA games but I don't think that it's the reason because he leave.

If we have new job listing with Game Director that mean, it's not the case. But maybe is also some crystal dynamics game director who take the lead over him.

At this point MS should just cop CD to Square.

Jan 4, 2018
Most of the workforce must be at Crystal Dynamics now (not including outsourcing) because The Initiative never did mass hiring like Playground with their new Fable team, like 130+ job offers since 1 year or so. TI always remained around 60-70 on LinkedIn (57 atm) with around 4 to 20 job offers depending of the time I believe.

Only 3 currently (was 12 some weeks ago iirc) :
- Franchise Art Director
- Senior AI Engineer
- DevOps Engineer
www.theinitiative.com

Careers - THE INITIATIVE

We are looking for collaborative team members who are passionate about their craft and creating a thoughtful, inclusive culture.

Compare it with Playground (130+ last time I counted early 2022)
playground-games.com

Careers - Playground Games

As a team, we are passionate about quality and innovation and we’re always looking for great people who can help us push further. If that sounds like you, have a look below at all of the positions we currently have open at Playground. If you can’t see a position that’s right for you, we welcome...

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I think as long as Darrell Gallagher is there with Crystal Dynamics, game should be fine. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.