• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
LOFL!

I thought to myself, how is Jiraiya hyped about a bunch of employees saying "Welcome to Constellation." ... Then I watched it. GOD. DAMN. iT. I am so in on this thing.

Last edited:

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
Does Shredders have any previews I want this game bad but it feels like they are hiding it. I've been playing Tunic for years lol but can't find a single preview on shredders excited but have no fait is that even possible lol.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't remember anything in the story relating to Phil. Or are they just going after him because he is the Head and so everything is his fault.
Yup...... I was wondering the same thing when I saw it come up while following stuff on Ukraine. And I was like.. Oh. OF COURSE..

I have to say, though I am sometimes critical of this space for various reasons, I truly appreciate how it's relatively regulated constraints allow some semblance of decent discussion. I don't agree with everyone, I may think some takes are bad or wrong, but damn are all ya'll better than the cesspool out there lol. I remember thinking a few weeks back when people were talking about the console war being worse this gen, and I was like... "Really? Seems ok to me" and then I realize that's because I don't spend that much time on Twitter and watching console war YouTube, and most of my engagement with the 'war' is on Era. Guess it works haha.

So props to the people here and to the mods, once again. We may not be perfect, but at least we don't have to suffer the nightmare of Philnoccio..... wtf..

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I have the impression that Bethesda has very good retention and low turn-over rate.
They seem to promote from within, all the Starfield leads/directors in this video are long time Bethesda Game Studios veterans, many of them started back with Oblivion/Morrowind in the early 2000s.

The people in that video (besides Todd and Inon Zur) --

• Angela Browder (Studio Director) - Started as QA for Oblivion, then was a Producer for Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout 76 before becoming Studio Director
  • Matt Carofano (Art Director) - Lead Artist in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Art Director Elder Scrolls Blades, additional world art in Fallout 3/4
  • Istvan Pely (Lead Artist) - World Art on Morrowind, Lead Dungeon Artist on Oblivion, Lead Artist on Fallout 3 and 4, Art Director on Fallout 76
  • Mark Lampert (Audio Director) - Sound design and voice direction on Oblivion, and Audio Director on: Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, Skyrim, Fallout 76
  • Emil Pagliarulo (Design Director) - Writer/Quest Designer on Morrowind, Quest Designer on Oblivion, Lead Writer/Designer on Fallout 3, Senior Designer and Writer on Skyrim, Lead Writer and Designer on Fallout 4
  • William Shen (Lead Quest Designer) - Quest Designer and Writer for Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout 76
  • Rick Vicens (Lead Animator) - Animator on Fallout 4 and 76
  • Jeff Browne (Lead Level Design) - Lead Level Designer on Skyrim, Level Designer on Oblivion, Fallout 3, 4, 76

That's some history!

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I dont think ANYBODY who is upset by this news is hyperbolic or reactionary. PD and Everwild being delayed further and further with multiple news stories coming out with dev issues over the past months/years is not a good look. Its okay if people are upset by it. Its not hyperbole and we dont need to control the narrative or peoples feelings everytime over these things.
Is is just me, or are you the most vocal when negative Xbox news comes around? Holy shit, dude. Give it a rest already!

This forum has a bad habit of blowing things way, way out of proportion for the majority of members who have NO IDEA how this stuff actually works. The smallest things get blown up into these massive issues without all the facts. Swear to Zeus, it's some irritating shit.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Yup...... I was wondering the same thing when I saw it come up while following stuff on Ukraine. And I was like.. Oh. OF COURSE..

I have to say, though I am sometimes critical of this space for various reasons, I truly appreciate how it's relatively regulated constraints allow some semblance of decent discussion. I don't agree with everyone, I may think some takes are bad or wrong, but damn are all ya'll better than the cesspool out there lol. I remember thinking a few weeks back when people were talking about the console war being worse this gen, and I was like... "Really? Seems ok to me" and then I realize that's because I don't spend that much time on Twitter and watching console war YouTube, and most of my engagement with the 'war' is on Era. Guess it works haha.

So props to the people here and to the mods, once again. We may not be perfect, but at least we don't have to suffer the nightmare of Philnoccio..... wtf..

Its just being the main personality of a company means you get the blame from people who don't know anything. Same thing happens with Jim Ryan - if not more so. He has been blamed for stuff before he was even in charge and for stuff like Days Gone 2 being cancelled, etc etc. Its just how it is, easy targets to focus on.

It is a lot better on there then Twitter for sure.

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021
Is is just me, or are you the most vocal when negative Xbox news comes around? Holy shit, dude. Give it a rest already!

This forum has a bad habit of blowing things way, way out of proportion for the majority of members who have NO IDEA how this stuff actually works. The smallest things get blown up into these massive issues without all the facts. Swear to Zeus, it's some irritating shit.

You're not wrong.

We're coming from a year xbox has been awarded with the most GOTY awards among publishers and THE BEST publisher of the year.

Yet, Xbox is in some kind of bad place with their devs.

Making games is not easy
Making studios from scratch is not easy
Making these things while in a pandemic...
Managing all these while merging with two companies bigger than yours (ATVI > Bethesda > XGS)

Boo-hoo... two projects out of 40 are not doing as well as someone might hope...

Let's not talk about Sony Santa Monica inability to do anything but GoW and actually struggling to make it work.
Let's not talk about VASG wanting to make its own game
Let's not talk about Naughty Dog excessive crunch that makes devs leave in the dozens in evey project
Let's not talk about the 5/6 studios SCEI have closed these past...4 years?

Yeah...

Edit: I actually FORGOT that I was in the XGS thread, how crazy is that? Sorry about some of these comments not belonging in here.

Oct 12, 2020
Also someone on reddit pointed out that this new piece of concept art is a part of the space station from the initial trailer

17lk8qolomn81.png

Ok, that's some pretty impressive sleuthing. Perhaps I should give Reddit another chance. 🤔

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Its just being the main personality of a company means you get the blame from people who don't know anything. Same thing happens with Jim Ryan - if not more so. He has been blamed for stuff before he was even in charge and for stuff like Days Gone 2 being cancelled, etc etc. Its just how it is, easy targets to focus on.

It is a lot better on there then Twitter for sure.
Oh, for sure. I don't think there's any doubt that being the head of a company, you take your lumps and the responsibility. But... I remember Iwata being fairly loved even through the Wii U fiasco. I remember people disliking Ryan and Mattrick even when things were/have been going well at their companies. I don't think it's QUITE that simple with the blame. Some people are just easier to hate XD - -".

I just don't quite know why Phil cops so much of it personally. It's like yes, he's head of Xbox and people want to attack Xbox and whoever represents it. But.. it feels like some people also hate that people love him? Like they won't be fulfilled until they take him down until he's just another asshole like the rest of us.. To be fair, as much hate as Phil gets, I'm sure he gets as much or more love back too.

I really don't know. I think you're right that Jim Ryan almost certainly takes a larger volume of abuse than Phil does. But, he's also not as engaged with the community as Phil. And I'm gonna be honest, I don't see him winning any lifetime achievement awards in the next few years. Been great for Sony's bottom line, more questionable with his impact for the broader industry (though, probably still overall positive).

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should play RPG Time: Legend of Wright. It's absolutely lovely. Damn shame it's not getting more attention. Extremely high production values, too, lol.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
So Steam had a whoopsie which revealed some internal release date data, I have gathered "2022" Game Pass games. A lot of these can be placeholders or just windows. I have excluded the ones that say December 30, 2022 because obviously a placeholder. I have also excluded games that we already know release date to, so like Starfield.
TitleRelease DateNotes
SomervilleApril 20, 2022
Trek to YomiApril 29, 2022
Loot RiverMay 3, 2022
Eiyuden Chronicle: RisingMay 12, 2022
Sniper Elite 5May 31, 2022
Slime Rancher 2June 1, 2022
Hello Neighbor 2June 9, 2022
Atomic HeartJune 22, 2022Already delayed to #####BER, 2022.
ScornOctober 7th, 2022
Midnight Fight ExpressAugust 15, 2022
SignalisSeptember 1, 2022
Flintlock: The Siege of DawnSeptember 9, 2022

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I was literally also gonna say "but we haven't seen anything of Somerville!" But hey, we've got a showcase tomorrow, right? If it's coming out next month, it'll be there. And for a small new studio (with lots of veterans who have worked together, to loop in the previous conversation :p), that's maybe a reasonable amount of lead time to do marketing.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
You've basically seen everything you need to know about somerville though
guess so, but if it releases in a little over a month we should be getting trailers or at least a modicum of marketing/hype, the last post of the studio's twitter account is a retweet from feb 16th and their last tweet is from dec 13.

I was literally also gonna say "but we haven't seen anything of Somerville!" But hey, we've got a showcase tomorrow, right? If it's coming out next month, it'll be there. And for a small new studio (with lots of veterans who have worked together, to loop in the previous conversation :p), that's maybe a reasonable amount of lead time to do marketing.
this a great point, it could totally show up tomorrow.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
guess so, but if it releases in a little over a month we should be getting trailers or at least a modicum of marketing/hype, the last post of the studio's twitter account is a retweet from feb 16th and their last tweet is from dec 13.
Indies only have so much budget and without more to share it's whatever. The weeks leading up to the launch I'm sure they'll be more active because that's when it matters most. Everyone's moves on so quickly

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
LOFL!

I thought to myself, how is Jiraiya hyped about a bunch of employees saying "Welcome to Constellation." ... Then I watched it. GOD. DAMN. iT. I am so in on this thing.

It's the confidence. They know they made a gem.

And to that steam leak. You're telling me I'll be getting Forza, Scorn, Starfield and Dead space within months of each other? Be still my beating heart. 4 of my 5 most anticipated titles in that short of span is pretty spectacular. And 3 of them i don't even have to buy.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It's the confidence. They know they made a gem.

And to that steam leak. You're telling me I'll be getting Forza, Scorn, Starfield and Dead space within months of each other? Be still my beating heart. 4 of my 5 most anticipated titles in that short of span is pretty spectacular. And 3 of them i don't even have to buy.

If you wait long enough you don't need to buy Dead Space either, being that it will be on EA Play, and by extension Gamepass.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
So Steam had a whoopsie which revealed some internal release date data, I have gathered "2022" Game Pass games. A lot of these can be placeholders or just windows. I have excluded the ones that say December 30, 2022 because obviously a placeholder. I have also excluded games that we already know release date to, so like Starfield.
TitleRelease DateNotes
SomervilleApril 20, 2022
Loot RiverMay 3, 2022
ScornOctober 7th, 2022
Uhh, about that… Atomic Heart is made by a Russian studio so given their illegal invasion of Ukraine I have a feeling we won't be getting that

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

Yikes lmao

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
TitleRelease DateNotes
SomervilleApril 20, 2022
Loot RiverMay 3, 2022
ScornOctober 7th, 2022

Somerville, Trek to Yomi, Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, Scorn, Signalis and Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn are the ones I'm looking forward the most in this list. Can't believe I'll play all those awesome games on Game Pass.

Jun 15, 2020
Well I guess the recruitment work didn't it ?
You understand this is a massive issue facing the entire industry right now, rightttttt? There is more demand for talent than ever before in gaming because there's more investment in gaming that ever before in gaming. Talent retention is a huge problem, not just at this studio, although it is hitting them harder. But again, THE TRAILER IS NOT THE REASON FOR THAT.

Also what's more powerful than recruitment trailer is word of mouth !
Nope. Not true.

Jun 15, 2020

Sigh. This shit was never claimed. It's all because of that one job listing that said AAAA quality that most likely was a typo that never was fixed.

I like certain members of Kinda Funny (and especially the outside talent they work with, Parris & Gary), but don't go to them expecting the most plugged-in, knowledgeable content anymore. They're not in the business now. They're mostly "influencers" now. Very, very, very surface-level.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
1. I don't think Jez really knows anything specific. Just speculating.
2. LOL at the guy who's options are like "this is a nothing" and "this is way bigger than it seems." Like, there's no option for a moderate take.

He specifically says he has info that hell share on his show Friday though. I assume that once someone starts talking, plenty of the other folks that left will. As well as folks still there.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Cross posting this:

Saw Yusuke Murata, Eyeshield and One Punch Man artist retweet this.

Released by WayForward, also known for "Shanti

Dawn of the Monsters" is now available at Xbox stores overseas.

$29

Side-scrolling ACT in which monsters and giant heroes fight and destroy cities

Shinji Nishikawa, designer of "Godzilla" and "SSSS.GRIDMAN," monster painter Yuji Kaida, designer of "The Rise of Ultraman" also participated

Game trailer:

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
They seem to promote from within, all the Starfield leads/directors in this video are long time Bethesda Game Studios veterans, many of them started back with Oblivion/Morrowind in the early 2000s.

The people in that video (besides Todd and Inon Zur) --

• Angela Browder (Studio Director) - Started as QA for Oblivion, then was a Producer for Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout 76 before becoming Studio Director
  • Matt Carofano (Art Director) - Lead Artist in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Art Director Elder Scrolls Blades, additional world art in Fallout 3/4
  • Istvan Pely (Lead Artist) - World Art on Morrowind, Lead Dungeon Artist on Oblivion, Lead Artist on Fallout 3 and 4, Art Director on Fallout 76
  • Mark Lampert (Audio Director) - Sound design and voice direction on Oblivion, and Audio Director on: Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, Skyrim, Fallout 76
  • Emil Pagliarulo (Design Director) - Writer/Quest Designer on Morrowind, Quest Designer on Oblivion, Lead Writer/Designer on Fallout 3, Senior Designer and Writer on Skyrim, Lead Writer and Designer on Fallout 4
  • William Shen (Lead Quest Designer) - Quest Designer and Writer for Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout 76
  • Rick Vicens (Lead Animator) - Animator on Fallout 4 and 76
  • Jeff Browne (Lead Level Design) - Lead Level Designer on Skyrim, Level Designer on Oblivion, Fallout 3, 4, 76

That's some history!

Most interesting part about this is that William Shen who wrote far harbor, probably the piece of content with the best writing bethesda has made. Is now Lead Quest Designer. And that Emil Pagliarulo, the person the fallout community blames for fo4's poor writing (even though its dumb to blame a single person) is no longer a writer.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Late to the party but I can't help but imagine how insanely difficult it would be to get a new studio and culture set up primarily under COVID conditions. I think the Initiative had basically just gotten their physical studio set up and then had to go to WFH. Establishing relationships and culture over Zoom / Teams calls would just be... Blech. And the selling point of being in Santa Monica suddenly isn't as attractive ("I'm stuck at home, who cares about the beach") or as important to accessing talent (everyone can work everywhere).

Not saying that to "counter" whatever reporting on the other problems they were having, but it's truly gotta be playing on hard mode to try to establish a new creative team during the period they've been working.

Here's a headline for you: "At The Coalition, Everything's Going Just Fine"

Oh, is it ever 👀

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The good thing about all the acquisitions made by Xbox in recent years is that, in light of the news about The Initiative, I just sort of shrug my shoulders and say "Ah well".

They have so many studios making content for gamepass now that, if any games are struggling, there's literally dozens more on the way.

I'm in the position where I just say "delay it", whenever I hear there are any kinds of problems. Everwild? Ah, just give them another few years. Or let them scrap it and start something new. No biggie. Perfect Dark? Same.

There's no rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.