• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I didn't say there has to be a fumble to overtake someone. But in the event there isn't one between Xbox and Playstation then it's going to be gradual and be a combination of things over time that allows Xbox to overtake Playstation which may even be possible with Xbox never outselling Playstation consoles.
Agreed.
I think the main point is without a major fumble, it's a harder hill to climb, combined with the legacy library context from the prior gen when digital really started to take off. It isn't the 360 era with a year-late, overpriced, difficult to develop on architecture with the PS3, nor is it the PS4 era with the disastrous launch PR, high bundle kinect pricing + lower spec console with the Xbox One.

Both are doing really well given the supply chain issues, Series consoles seemingly better in early 2022, with great games already launched + in the pipeline (well, no idea roadmap for PS currently). Mind you it's not an impossible task of course, just nowhere near as easy to flip the switch compared to prior gens where there were large and glaring issues on one of the platforms from the outset. GP does change that up quite a bit, which is where the marketing (outside North America) really needs to hit its stride.

Edit: We also need to see in detail what the new PS+ actually looks like outside of the high level descriptors, and how it develops over the next 1 - 2 years. Even without day one first party, it can significantly soften the GP appeal to completely switch if major indies and other 3rd party games launch into it. Along with whatever 'beyond console' plans are in the works i.e., PC, streaming etc. It's more of an ecosystem competition now, along with quality and cadence of exclusive 1st party titles that will drive conversion (genre and markets are pretty different between platforms now, many have preferences determining choice here), or in cases simply secondary systems from an individuals primary box (Series S as a GP machine is perfect).
Yeah the sales race is tough to overcome I agree but gamepass is nuts right now in terms of appeal with it possibly getting even more support(they will look to add a Japanese pub in the coming years full time). Ps plus new edition really has no appeal in comparison to gamepass if there isn't day one games. Large third party's aren't launching on there atm either so it's just there as ps now with a name change currently which is very much a pass right now. The best sub service for video games is just life changing when you discover it for the first time.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Montresor's E3 Predictions:

Expected length: 3 hours 15 minutes, with one intermission
  1. Todd Howard starts E3 with a 15-minute game play demo of Starfield. Game play and RPG systems are fully defined. Re-confirms Nov 11th, 2022 release date.
  2. Phil Spencer comes on stage for a special surprise. The Activision Blizzard deal has closed early!
    1. Activision Blizzard's entire back catalogue gets shadow dropped into Game Pass, including all Call of Duty titles, Tony Hawk games, Crash, Spyro, Diablo, Overwatch, etc.
    2. Mobile games such as Candy Crush to get Xbox live integration with achievements, and perks for Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.
    3. World of Warcraft Xbox port announced. Subscription and expansions free with Game Pass Ultimate.
    4. Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, and new survival game all announced with trailers - Xbox exclusive
    5. Next Call of Duty and Warzone not announced at Microsoft's E3. They're announced at Sony's state of play the next day due to the marketing deal. Over the next couple of days, interviews with both Sony and Microsoft indicate that in 2024, once the marketing deal ends, the Call of Dutys announced at this year's E3 will then make it to Game Pass. And every future Call of Duty will come to Game Pass and will be exclusive to Xbox.
  3. Rare comes on stage. Everwild trailer. Game play systems are defined and the genre of the game is revealed. Holiday 2024 release date.
  4. Halo Infinite trailer shows plans for new single player expansion. Also reveals that mission select, co-op, and Forge are all ready - and they get shadow dropped that day.
  5. Matt Booty reveals that Certain Affinity has been acquired. They come on stage to talk about the new Halo Infinite battle royale mode, and show an extensive and robust map and season/events roadmap for Halo multiplayer.
  6. Hellblade 2 trailer shows breathtaking game play. Holiday 2023 release date.
  7. Forza Motorsport trailer. Looks like best simulation racing game ever made. October 2022 release date.
  8. As Dusk Falls trailer. June 2022 release date - coming later that month! Trailer reveals innovative/unique adventure/puzzle game play, and an interesting story.
  9. Arkane comes on stage and shows a Deathloop trailer. Coming September 2022.
  10. The Initiative and Matt Booty come in stage - Crystal Dynamics has been acquired and the Tomb Raider IP has been purchased. Crystal Dynamics and The Initiative have been merged into a new 1st-party studio - The Crystal Initiatives. This is a two-team studio. Crystal Dynamics is the name of studio #1 - they're making a new puzzle and dungeon heavy Tomb Raider. The Datadyne Initiative is the name of studio #2 - they're making Perfect Dark.
    1. Trailer for Tomb Raider shows it is an epic adventure, light on combat and very heavy on puzzles and dungeons.
    2. Trailer for Perfect Dark shows it is an all single-player, epic first-person stealth adventure.
  11. Square Enix comes on stage and announces FFVII Remake for Game Pass - shadow dropped that day. And they show a trailer for FFVII Remake Part 2 - and reveal its two-year timed exclusive to Xbox.
  12. Sarah Bond comes on stage and starts speaking perfect, fluent Japanese. In Japanese, she announces the following Game Pass games:
    1. Zero Time Dilemma
    2. Danganronpa 2
    3. Danganronpa 3
    4. Triangle Strategy
    5. Bravely Default
    6. Persona 4
    7. Persona 5 Royale
    8. Persona 5 Strikers
    9. 13 Sentinels
  13. Capcom comes on stage to announce that Street Fighter VI will be multiplatform. And Street Fighter V Ultimate edition will come into Game Pass with all dlc characters.
  14. Forza Horizon 5's expansion dlc is announced. Coming July 2022.
  15. Arkane comes back on stage to show a launch trailer for Redfall. Coming August 2022. Confirmed to be fully playable in both single player and multiplayer co-op
  16. Asobo acquisition announcement along with purchase of the Plague Tale IP
  17. Phil Spencer reveals they are eliminating Gold. It will no longer cost money to play online multiplayer.
  18. And one more thing: Toys for Bob reveals Banjo Kazooie 3
This is the kind of fan fiction I can get behind. 3 hour show, hell yeah.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Lol apparently "Tatanka" (the codename CA is working on for HI) is a pro wrestler that won a 40 man battle royale.

www.youtube.com

More of Halo Infinite's Future and Season 2 Continues Leaking

343 partner Studio Certainty Affinity just revealed new information for Halo Infinite multiplayer.da merch https://2comets.com/#haloinfinite #halonews #halom...

That's funny if that's why it is the codename

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Man, I wish everything was Play Anywhere. I've been playing AI: The Somnium Files for the last week, and it's just been a joy to be able to pick it up and play it whenever, wherever. I have my Series X and desktop in my room, and my One X and laptop in the living room, and it's so handy being able to just pick up my save and play it on any of them; I don't like sitting in my room all evening as it just feels super antisocial 😅 so I can just sit there and be present, but also be diving into a perp's dream on my laptop. Or on the living room TV if everyone else is out, or just not watching anything. It's just a really useful feature to have, and I wish everything had it.

Game's great, btw. I've had it since launch on Switch, was pretty convinced I'd like it, but for some reason it just sat on the shelf. Decided to start it on Xbox/PC last week as the sequel's release is getting nearer, and it's fantastic.

Incoming new Xbox mascot, Sojourn, OW character origin teaser dropped

I'm still saying that Lucio needs to be a face of the Xbox brand

I'm still right there with you.

I actually reinstalled Overwatch last night... haven't played it since like 2018, I think, but I loved it at the time. Just been really wanting to play it again recently.

Last night I just messed around in training to reacquaint myself (and try out a few heroes that have launched since I last played - iirc, the newest hero when I dropped out was Moira lol).

Probably not but it's possible we could see it. Since Double Fine has been working on a new game alongside Psychonauts 2 since 2018.

I can't remember when Rad was announced, but it might've been that.

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
Lol apparently "Tatanka" (the codename CA is working on for HI) is a pro wrestler that won a 40 man battle royale.

www.youtube.com

343 partner Studio Certainty Affinity just revealed new information for Halo Infinite multiplayer.da merch https://2comets.com/#haloinfinite #halonews #halom...

that armor set shown at 46 is the exact design of the nazi's in wolfenstein

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

www.youtube.com

I think a smaller BR has potential, especially in Halo where it has such a long TTK which might lead to more third partying. I think a bigger map but less players is needed. A 40-64 player battle royale would be perfect for Infinite IMO. 64 being the best scenario for me.

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Tomorrow the first gameplay from the new expansion of Elder Scrolls Online will be shown:

Jan 31, 2022

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I agree Double Fine always makes fun games so it would be a nice surprise if we see it this year.

What's the slug prototype from Amnesia game jam?

Here's the timestamp of when they show off Armored Slug to Tim. This and the crazy puppets game are the ones i most want to become actual games and not only prototypes lol

www.youtube.com

Armored Slug — The Amnesia Fortnight Movie Prototype Playthrough

Content and Community Manager Heather Alexandra chats with Amnesia Fortnight project lead Asif Siddiky while playing "Armored Slug," a single or multiplayer ...

i'm dumb. forgot they showed each demo off. thanks.

Man, I wish everything was Play Anywhere. I've been playing AI: The Somnium Files for the last week, and it's just been a joy to be able to pick it up and play it whenever, wherever. I have my Series X and desktop in my room, and my One X and laptop in the living room, and it's so handy being able to just pick up my save and play it on any of them; I don't like sitting in my room all evening as it just feels super antisocial 😅 so I can just sit there and be present, but also be diving into a perp's dream on my laptop. Or on the living room TV if everyone else is out, or just not watching anything. It's just a really useful feature to have, and I wish everything had it.

did you try to see if it's cross save? a LOT of games that don't have the play anywhere tag actually have cross-save between PC/Xbox

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I also wish everything was Play Anywhere. The nice thing about cloud gaming at least is that it uses the Xbox save so if you are on PC and want to continue you can, in a sort of roundabout way.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The good news is that since Xbox is buying up everyone, everything will eventually be Play Anywhere!

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I feel like Double Fine is really going to shine with Game Pass. They're big fans of shorter experimental games and they can just pump out a ton of their craziest ideas out with no worry about having to sell it for $60+!

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I also wish everything was Play Anywhere. The nice thing about cloud gaming at least is that it uses the Xbox save so if you are on PC and want to continue you can, in a sort of roundabout way.

Yeah, I probably played about a third of Yakuza 0 on xcloud a couple of years back (and I put in sixty hours total, so it was a pretty good chunk of time!), which was also very handy! Cloud is the fallback position when there's no Play Anywhere lol.

The good news is that since Xbox is buying up everyone, everything will eventually be Play Anywhere!

😂

It's just weirdly all over the place when it comes to third party stuff. Like FFIX was, IIRC, the first of the PS1 FFs to hit Xbox, and that one was PA. And then when VII came over, it wasn't. I just really appreciate it when games support the service.

That could have been it but Double Fine doesn't own the IP to Rad so I still hope that they also have another project that isn't too far away as well.

I just looked it up and Rad was announced about a year after that tweet was posted, so it likely was referring to Rad.

Jan 31, 2022
www.youtube.com

Armored Slug — The Amnesia Fortnight Movie Prototype Playthrough

Content and Community Manager Heather Alexandra chats with Amnesia Fortnight project lead Asif Siddiky while playing "Armored Slug," a single or multiplayer ...
Here's the timestamp of when they show off Armored Slug to Tim. This and the crazy puppets game are the ones i most want to become actual games and not only prototypes lol

i'm dumb. forgot they showed each demo off. thanks.

did you try to see if it's cross save? a LOT of games that don't have the play anywhere tag actually have cross-save between PC/Xbox
I didn't see that. And that would make an awesome game!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Just so you know, a game doesn't have to be Play Anywhere to have cross-save, and nowadays it seems the majority of Game Pass games are cross-save titles.

Oct 25, 2017
With long weekend coming up this week, what game are you guys playing?

i think i'm finally finishing up Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye. Also, the campaign of Infinite on Legendary (getting closer to the ending now) and finishing up Banjo Kazooie on Rare Replay.

I just looked it up and Rad was announced about a year after that tweet was posted, so it likely was referring to Rad.

it probably wasn't because the job vacancy at that time was a network programmer one, and RAD does not have any kind of multiplayer

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I hope Tatanka is just a basic BR foundation and they don't experiment too much with PvE elements. Those can be LTMs for it but I believe it should be a basic BR at launch.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just got out from watching The Northman at the theatre. Made me think about how much I can't wait for Hellblade 2, those icelandic vistas and norse lore will be a marvel too see.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Just so you know, a game doesn't have to be Play Anywhere to have cross-save, and nowadays it seems the majority of Game Pass games are cross-save titles.

Oh, really? I always assumed cross-save was effectively a component of PA (I know the main thing with PA is the cross-platform entitlement). Well, either way, that's a good thing.

it probably wasn't because the job vacancy at that time was a network programmer one, and RAD does not have any kind of multiplayer

Ah, fair enough, most likely wasn't then!

I think Xbox ties porting to Xbox + Game Pass deals with Play Anywhere TBH.

Yeah, I do think they at least push it a bit, but implementation seems a bit hit and miss.

Ok that makes sense. Hopefully Double Fines new IP's aren't too far away though.

See Granjinha's post above - it likely wasn't for Rad.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

www.youtube.com

I love when codenames are so obvious. Not necessarily detrimental in gaming, but my last company had an absurdly *at face value* code name for a product in development (biotech), which was less than ideal and could have had a material impact if it was to be heard outside of the org. Absolute facepalm moment.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Game's great, btw. I've had it since launch on Switch, was pretty convinced I'd like it, but for some reason it just sat on the shelf. Decided to start it on Xbox/PC last week as the sequel's release is getting nearer, and it's fantastic.

I'm still right there with you.

I actually reinstalled Overwatch last night... haven't played it since like 2018, I think, but I loved it at the time. Just been really wanting to play it again recently.

Last night I just messed around in training to reacquaint myself (and try out a few heroes that have launched since I last played - iirc, the newest hero when I dropped out was Moira lol).

I can't remember when Rad was announced, but it might've been that.

I absolutely love the Play Anywhere feature. Being able to play downstairs on the OLED and then switch to PC upstairs in my room is sublime, can't stress how good this feature actually is.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people overestimate how much Day One on Gamepass matters when the game isn't exclusive. I don't like the Windows store and if a Gamepass game I want to play is available on Steam, I'll buy it on Steam instead of using a different launcher. And that's on PC, where the barrier entry is very low (just a different launcher). Buying a whole different console just because it has a "free" subscription for a game I can buy on my console of choice is a hard sell, considering that people would be giving up their digital libraries with hundreds of games if they were to switch.

Great exclusive first party games will do more to make people switch to another platform than day one non-exclusive games, IMO. Blizzard's new survival game, if it's really so great and if it's exclusive, will matter more. Fallout 5 and TES VI (if they're exclusive) will matter more.

Yeah, in some ways just try and reverse the argument to get an idea of how effective it is. What if Microsoft kept their games exclusive, but Sony ported their games to Xbox, while also throwing them on their subscription service. How many in here would switch to Playstation for God of War or similar exclusives, if you could buy them on Xbox for $70 a pop, while Playstation owners were also offered to get them in the subscription?

$70 a pop vs. "free" on subscription isn't gonna make people switch systems. Real exclusivity will.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah, in some ways just try and reverse the argument to get an idea of how effective it is. What if Microsoft kept their games exclusive, but Sony ported their games to Xbox, while also throwing them on their subscription service. How many in here would switch to Playstation for God of War or similar exclusives, if you could buy them on Xbox for $70 a pop, while Playstation owners were also offered to get them in the subscription?

$70 a pop vs. "free" on subscription isn't gonna make people switch systems. Real exclusivity will.
I mean I switched because of it /shrug

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I beat Tiny Tina at the beginning of the week and have been doing some backlog Spring cleaning since. Currently working through the rest of Far Cry 6 because I put it down last year. If I get it done before Friday I don't know what is next. Looking at my backlog, I think probably Wastelands 3.

Dabcelwero25

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah, people overestimate how much Day One on Gamepass matters when the game isn't exclusive. I don't like the Windows store and if a Gamepass game I want to play is available on Steam, I'll buy it on Steam instead of using a different launcher. And that's on PC, where the barrier entry is very low (just a different launcher). Buying a whole different console just because it has a "free" subscription for a game I can buy on my console of choice is a hard sell, considering that people would be giving up their digital libraries with hundreds of games if they were to switch.

Great exclusive first party games will do more to make people switch to another platform than day one non-exclusive games, IMO. Blizzard's new survival game, if it's really so great and if it's exclusive, will matter more. Fallout 5 and TES VI (if they're exclusive) will matter more.
Disney+ has over 100 million subscribers because it's the only streaming service where you can watch Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel + all the Fox properties.

If Microsoft wants Gamepass to have similar numbers, they have to understand that exclusivity is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.