• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

These have been super great content btw. Lucid sat in the casting booth for a bit yesterday, breaking down things he was seeing and critiquing other pro gameplay (something thats quite rare to see) and just having a good time in general answering some really ff the wall and silly questions. Highly recommend checking it out on the xbox twitch today (and yesterdays replay as well!)

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I could also see the remakes happening but not sure if they would have inxile do it. Might partner with another studio to do it.
InXile is making their own stuff why would they work on ES. Fallout 1-2 remasters… sure maybe? But idk how many people would actually care for those in current year as a 2D isometric game. Idk.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I agree. InXile doesn't have the resources while they are working Project Cobalt. But it is ALSO beneath them.
I mean, there's no shame in doing support work/remasters. It wasn't beneath The Coalition or Turn 10 to provide support on Halo or FH; why would it be beneath InXile to make a remaster? Unlike Turn 10 and The Coalition, InXile has never even made an AAA game, so it's weird to say it would be beneath them to make remasters of some of the most beloved and biggest gaming IPs in the world.

The point is moot, however, because I don't believe it's happening. Even if the remasters happen, it won't be InXile doing it but a technically great support studio that specializes on remasters and likely one that has worked on Bethesda's games before.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I mean, there's no shame in doing support work/remasters. It wasn't beneath The Coalition or Turn 10 to provide support on Halo or FH; why would it be beneath InXile to make a remaster? Unlike Turn 10 and The Coalition, InXile has never even made an AAA game, so it's weird to say it would be beneath them to make remasters of some of the most beloved and biggest gaming IPs in the world.

The point is moot, however, because I don't believe it's happening. Even if the remasters happen, it won't be InXile doing it but a technically great support studio that specializes on remasters and likely one that has worked on Bethesda's games before.
It's beneath them to work on SOMEONE ELSE's remaster or remake (in my opinion, of course). The Coalition and 343 worked on their own, so it's a bit different, and Turn 10 has always operated as both the stewards of Forza and the occasional support studio (Undead Labs is also heading in this direction). If anyone makes remasters of the modern Fallouts and TESs, it should be BGS. They have the resources, whereas InXile doesn't.

I just really don't want Obsidian or InXile to lose their identity and essentially become satellite Bethesda studios. The only way that InXile doing remasters or remakes makes sense is if it's Fallout 1 and 2, because of their isoemetric lineage and the fact that many people at InXile worked on those games.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It's beneath them to work on SOMEONE ELSE's remaster or remake (in my opinion, of course). The Coalition and 343 worked on their own, so it's a bit different, and Turn 10 has always operated as both the stewards of Forza and the occasional support studio (Undead Labs is also heading in this direction). If anyone makes remasters of the modern Fallouts and TESs, it should be BGS. They have the resources, whereas InXile doesn't.

I just really don't want Obsidian or InXile to lose their identity and essentially become satellite Bethesda studios. The only way that InXile doing remasters or remakes makes sense is if it's Fallout 1 and 2, because of their isoemetric lineage and the fact that many people at InXile worked on those games.
fo-brianfargo3.jpg

Just sayin'

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
That can still be a new AAA IP. New titles within an overarching IP are still considered their own IPs. It is only not considered a new IP if its part of an existing game franchise.

Since it be its own thing within the Starwars IP, one can argue its a new AAA IP as no other game exists in this new games "version." I mean, Respawn's Fallen Order is its own IP even though it exists within the Star Wars IP.
I am not sure I buy that - alot of job postings we see for games from an established media franchise aren't described in that way. They'd leverage the pull of the existing franchise in the posting: "We're hiring for a brand new AAA title in an established global multi-media franchise" or something akin to that

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
If they do I just hope it wont have generic MMO like gameplay like ESO or Old republic. Much rather it be closer to something like destiny (only gameplay wise).

ESO doesnt have generic MMO combat given its a pure action based combat system, I am also in the minority, but outside of shooting, Destiny does not get much of anything else right combat wise.

Its never beneath anyone to work on someone elses IP

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I hear you. That's why I think Fallout 1 and 2 is the only way this makes sense. I can't see InXile remastering Fallout 3 or Morrowind, or whatever.
That could be a stretch, certainly. And all of those games being BC with upgrades might call into question the need to spend money on rereleases, so perhaps the focus could be on the older, harder to play titles. But I do think Brian would be into it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What if the same person who told Nick that Quake reboot is happening, is the same person who told Nick this stuff?
Quake reboot seems very likely as a next step from Doom finishing. Unless they want new IP.

I dont think the old Quake game coming out on consoles and having new maps from Machine Games and so on is an anomaly. It's reintroducing Quake to the audiences and laying the groundwork

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

I agree that it would make sense for InXile to remaster Fallout 1-2. I agree that InXile wouldn't remaster BGS games, but not because it's beneath them. I don't believe InXile are capable of doing it. I'm not sure even BGS would be able(or willing) to do it in-house. At this point, remaking Oblivion and Morrowind would be close to creating a new open world game from scratch, and InXile has neither the experience of building 3d open world games nor the knowledge of Bethesda's tools nor the resources to pull it off. So yeah, it's a BS rumor.
Starfield to feature flyable space ships randomly confirmed on the Xbox Era OT? 👀
It was basically randomly confirmed yesterday by the sound director in the dev video.
Taken from Reddit: "Our sense of scale had to be totally readjusted from making a game on a planetary surface as we've done before, and now we have these very vast distances against the black starry background"
He could be talking about autopilot, of course, but that's unlikely, considering how boring that would be.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I honestly dont understand how someone can be verified with their role as Character Artist (meaning, specifics given) and give a date as to when their contract ended and continue to list NDA things out in public lol.

Like that seems so dangerous to narrow it down and get whipped with the book. Playing with fire.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I'm pretty sure a NDA doesn't suddenly stop once you're not at the company anymore. Then again, maybe these NDAs are actually poorly worded lol.

Just saying.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder have extensive the flying of ships is. Are you only allowed to control it when you are in space or can you manually control the ship when it's near the surface of the planet too. I feel like the latter will be automated.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm pretty sure a NDA doesn't suddenly stop once you're not at the company anymore. Then again, maybe these NDAs are actually poorly worded lol.

Just saying.
Doubt it. And they definitely do carry on as you say. My friends that worked on DeS Remake talked about how strict Sony's NDA is. It's like the fear of god put in to them. I lived with a BP employee and wasn't allowed near the devkit and didn't see a peep of the game even after announcement.

Idc if this person is carefree about it and isnt worried about repercussions. I blocked them bc i dont like their attitude anyway but just wild to me to see

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'd stop talking before there are YouTube videos discussing your information. You don't want the attention.

Sipahi

Jan 30, 2021
I'm not under NDA, i don't work there anymore. How can you have a space game without flying ships, if a mod wants to verify this info, i think i still have vids of playthroughs.
Sorry for bothering you but I'm a bit curious. Was there any other game you worked on or knew about while at BGS other than Starfield?

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
It was cool solid place to work, very secure. The engine is a piece of crap tho. Todd is a charismatic guy for sure. Starfield is looking good, weekly Thursday playtest since the beginning of the year, more and more stuff coming online. Shooting feels alright, flying is terrible atm imo just not fun to me. Lighting and stuff is looking better and better, tho it's not on the level of HFW or anything like that but still a good looking game. In terms of if it will ship on time, well they will try that's for sure, they'll cut what they did to etc, they have an overabundance of content, probably too much, so that's not the issue, finding the fun and of course bug fixing is the big thing. It's a sexy date tho and you only get one of those, beta is this summer, that's when the picture will truly become clear.
How terrible is flying? Should we be worried about it impacting the final product?

Mar 6, 2021
Saint Louis
i'm pretty he understands how NDA works, guys.

if they think they can talk about it just cause they left the company, I am not really sure. That or the NDA is just not a well-made NDA. Given how stone-walled Bethesda can be, I don't think that's the case.

Regardless, if they have seen it, awesome. Even if so though, everything stated (just like the other info) are basically generalized say nothing statements. Flying is hard so of course, it won't land for everyone. The shooting was fine in FO 4, it will prob be fine in Starfield. Bethesda has a history of buggy games, so ya bugs are a worry. Cut content happens all the time, so no shock there. So we shouldnt get that worked up about it :D

Think we can move on instead of bothering them about stuff :)

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
It was cool solid place to work, very secure. The engine is a piece of crap tho. Todd is a charismatic guy for sure. Starfield is looking good, weekly Thursday playtest since the beginning of the year, more and more stuff coming online. Shooting feels alright, flying is terrible atm imo just not fun to me. Lighting and stuff is looking better and better, tho it's not on the level of HFW or anything like that but still a good looking game. In terms of if it will ship on time, well they will try that's for sure, they'll cut what they did to etc, they have an overabundance of content, probably too much, so that's not the issue, finding the fun and of course bug fixing is the big thing. It's a sexy date tho and you only get one of those, beta is this summer, that's when the picture will truly become clear.
Sounds great! Hope they can nail down the feel of the ship in the coming months. One last question, can you land your ship by yourself on the planets or is it more like a cutscene that plays when you want to land somewere?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I always felt like starfield should have 3 ways of travel.
Player controlled
Fast travel
And ai controlled so you can walk through your ship while it flies to the destination

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Gotta say I find it an amusing coincidence that Hevy decided to come into this thread and share that Starfield will have flyable ships just after the sound designer heavily alluded to it yesterday. Everything else Hevy said are generalized stuff, nothing concrete, as always. And he once again refuses to answer more specific questions, stuff that's harder to guess.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think ship flying in games can be a really subjective thing. Like in Outer Wilds the ship flying is tricky at first, but once I got the hang of it I thought it was a lot of fun. On the other hand I saw a lot of people saying they hated the flying in Outer Wilds, probably because the controls just never clicked with them. I actually really hope flying from planet to planet in Starfield is similar to Outer Wilds.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Gotta say I find it an amusing coincidence that Hevy decided to come into this thread and share that Starfield will have flyable ships just after the sound designer heavily alluded to it yesterday. Everything else Hevy said are generalized stuff, nothing concrete, as always. And he once again refuses to answer more specific questions, stuff that's harder to guess.
The vibe I get as well. They also talk a lot about Redfall and said really generic things that has all been confirmed or heavily implied. Also I'm not a dev but I'm not sure how much a character artist is going to be QAing multiple games at BGS?

Just quit BGS, so i can say i did play test it last October i think it was, pretty early blockout state and was running at like 15fps...this was on a 2080 but the pieces were there. Felt like an arkane title

Kiryu957

Sep 26, 2020
Todd playing 4d chess

Status
Not open for further replies.