• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I think part of the drama with Hevy stating that he doesn't like the engine Bethesda uses is that most people expect developers to LOVE and be passionate about the project they're working on and don't realize that some people just look at it as a job, and not some kind of art they're making.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Already explained what that meant, but tell me this then.....why did everyone miss the other part in big letters "For me, 'Starfield' is the Han Solo simulator. Get in a ship, explore the galaxy, do fun stuff,.....???????????????????????????

I def did not miss that ref, as it made me super happy!

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Yes it's just a opinion, but some will undoubtedly see it as a fact for whatever reason I can't explain. Anyways, I want to talk about flying in space and Starfield. I'm am curious how this will work, because to me the balance seems to be hard to get right. As a gamer I don't want to fly for 30-60 minutes to the next planet, but then having a small universe just doesn't feel like space. Will we be able to fly from planet to space manually? Would be epic. What about content during space travel and encounters? I am not sure how much focus I'd want on space battles, because in most games those are poor. I like the Star wars game, but then should we really expect such a well though out system for a game with a likely different focus?

These questions and others are things I think about in regards to Starfield. I can't wait to finally get some clarity, because I don't think getting space right is easy.
Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with space flight like in Freelancer. I don't know if you're familiar with it, it's an old game released by Microsoft in early 2000s. The flying is more arcadey and easy to pick up but there's lots of ship customization and the space battles and gameplay loop are fun enough. The distance between planets is fairly short in that game, but it was lots of fun. I think there's no reason Bethesda can't do what a twenty-year-old game managed to do.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Tbh i dont think any in house engine is fully enjoyable to use they all prob have their quirks and flaws in some way. Even unity and ue can be a pita

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I mean, Mass Effect is a fairly linear, non-open world game. It's also an old one, with limitations of the game built more than a decade ago. TOW isn't an open world game, either, and it's AA. For Bethesda to maintain its sandbox design and for the world to feel big, I've always thought manual space flight was necessary, so that space serves as the open world connecting the planets.

There have been about a gazillion hints that manual flight was in the game. The game's name being the first clue. "Han Solo simulator: you get in the ship, explore the galaxy, have fun", "Space travel in our game is dangerous" (how is it dangerous if it's a loading screen?), Crimson Pirates being a joinable faction (how can you be a pirate if you can't do the pirating?), the ship in the teaser having indicators for weapons and shield, Vasco fixing the spaceship on the concept art, dozens of concept art of spaceships in space, and so on and so forth.

"The biggest, most epic science fiction thing you can imagine" was unlikely not to feature space prominently. I know Todd gets carried away sometimes and exaggerates, but even he wouldn't call Starfield that if the game were just repeating things done in RPGs from the beginning of the century without doing new, exciting things never done before in RPGs.
Fully agree. The hints were already there. For me the space traveling is dangerous hint was the most obvious.
Personally, I'd be perfectly happy with space flight like in Freelancer. I don't know if you're familiar with it, it's an old game released by Microsoft in early 2000s. The flying is more arcadey and easy to pick up but there's lots of ship customization and the space battles and gameplay loop are fun enough. The distance between planets is fairly short in that game, but it was lots of fun. I think there's no reason Bethesda can't do what a twenty-year-old game managed to do.
I am not familiar with it, but I'll look out for videos If there are any after the champions league game. I trust in Bethesda, because exploration is their biggest strength arguably. As a gamer it just feels like getting space right is the Dark Souls of exploration in difficulty if that makes sense.

Last edited:

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
real question are there any fps+tps rpg games that do have good gunplay? I feel like serviceable is all you need really

The Division and Destiny are the two series that come to mind. Prey's shotgun was also very satisfying to use.

But I agree that it doesn't need to be excellent or even good. Deus Ex is still an all time great with some of the jankiest combat in an FPS.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just finished my last week at BGS last Friday,,,Most of this is non sense, BGS Dallas was working spyteam before getting put on Starfield, it was a pet project of Todds and was just being prototyped.

I'm going to quote this forever every time you guys post twitter posts from these "insiders". Nick has already been banned from Era for not giving evidence (while everyone else has provided evidence, his excuses for not doing so feel extremely lame) and this skullzi dude has a horrible track record and proven again and again he knows nothing. Have you ever played the broken phone game? These so called insiders are probably the last guys in line.
rumor.32s.jpg

Please my beautiful XBOX OT peeps... Unless it's a verified person or a journalist, can we stop this madness?
If you want to quote Skullzi tweets, tell him to come on Era and get verified by the mods. That solves all our issues.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I'm going to quote this forever every time you guys post twitter posts from these "insiders". Nick has already been banned from Era for not giving evidence (while everyone else has provided evidence, his excuses for not doing so feel extremely lame) and this skullzi dude has a horrible track record and proven again and again he knows nothing. Have you ever played the broken phone game? These so called insiders are probably the last guys in line.
rumor.32s.jpg

Please my beautiful XBOX OT peeps... Unless it's a verified person or a journalist, can we stop this madness?
If you want to quote Skullzi tweets, tell him to come on Era and get verified by the mods. That solves all our issues.

+1

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
rumor.32s.jpg

We wouldn't need to do this if these publishers actually talked to us regarding games, release dates or anything

In movies, I know Disney's and WB's slate for the next 5-7 years

In games, I can't tell you one game thats coming from Xbox in 2023.

Transparency goes a long way 🤷🏽‍♂️

0dah

Apr 27, 2022
Planet Kreet
For what its worth Hevy008, even though you come off as a weird dude constantly defending yourself. I believe you.

expect dm in a few mins

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Oh, he's that guy? Damn, he really is just doubling down on his console warrior non-sense.

EDIT: Wait... this is from the end of 2020, hopefully he has improved since then.

He didn't. Just last month he made a thread fishing for retail people to let him know how much more PS5s we're in demand over Xbox's. Mods here shut that down real quick.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
We wouldn't need to do this if these publishers actually talked to us regarding games, release dates or anything

In movies, I know Disney's and WB's slate for the next 5-7 years

In games, I can't tell you one game thats coming from Xbox in 2023.

Transparency goes a long way 🤷🏽‍♂️

100% true.
I think gaming has developed a bad business relationship with the Hype machine. People have been willing to give large amounts of money (and free publicity) for simply a title name, not knowing anything about the game. To create this amount of hype, you do need a certain amount of secrecy, so speculation can do the job for you.
It's unhealthy but it has become the standard, and I'm not sure who's going to be the first brave publisher to break that cycle.

I've just come to the conclusion that speculation is just another form of game to gamers...that's why they love it so...and these twitter guys love them because they can make money off being wrong..or slightly right once in awhile,,it is what it is

It is very fun to be part of a community and being excited for something. And that's not just games, I think the recent Brandon Sanderson books is a perfect example of that too. And you are right, leeches will always come to prey on the joy of people.

U must be new to era. There have been previous instances of "Verified" people spreading false info. I.e the next gen console specs

I didn't tell people to stop asking for verification. I'm saying the exact opposite. And of course nothing is ever 100% sure unless it comes from the devs themselves (and even then... lol) but if we reduced our discussion to just those people it would be way more readable and healthy. Right now it's a mess since every random joe is an "insider"

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
rumor.32s.jpg

U must be new to era. There have been previous instances of "Verified" people spreading false info. I.e the next gen console specs

Oct 25, 2017
Forge being flighted for over two years is kinda unexpected for me. Shame they are relying on it so much (seems like it?) to help with the content issues short term

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

😞

If it's any consolation, I have already suffered my punishment. Parcelforce neglected to deliver my Steam Deck today, despite telling me it was out for delivery 😭

idk what you're talking about

R.eadfd11d578cd7eb91ce5c358069aba5

This was actually me catching up on the thread just now.

Alleged Insider Blackleg-sanji1 leaked Blue Dragon 2.

Can you please verify them?

I did see this, I am writing the PM as we speak!

I am not writing any PMs as we speak

0dah

Apr 27, 2022
Planet Kreet
while Creation Engine 2 isn't probably going to re-invent the wheel of a new era of engines and make everything else abundant I believe it is important to highlight how important of an upgrade it will be for future BGS games and their specific style to it. The reason not many studios out there can re-create what BGS has been doing for the past 15+ years is that specific engine and with a major overhaul it is going to satisfy BGS fans a lot, I think thats allowed to say. Critics will always stay critics.

No matter how shitty the engine may be to develop for. Im sure that UE5 is 100 times easier to use and make games in, but thats not the point. We, as a consoomer see only the benefits of game development (usually).

0dah

Apr 27, 2022
Planet Kreet
I'm sure there's at least one person excited about it in this thread.

Anyways, did you ask Hevy if the game has ladders? That's obviously the most important question. Todd's answer didn't seem serious enough for my tastes.
It has (but they use them sparingly emojiwink). Had for a long long time ago.

The codename of this game was "Genesis" for a reason.

"In the beginning, Todd created the heaven and the ladder"

Oct 25, 2017
😞

If it's any consolation, I have already suffered my punishment. Parcelforce neglected to deliver my Steam Deck today, despite telling me it was out for delivery 😭

This was actually me catching up on the thread just now.

I did see this, I am writing the PM as we speak!

I am not writing any PMs as we speak
We'll now I'm sad I wanted to see what a verify pm looked like

Blue dragon remake in early development

Status
Not open for further replies.