• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
These are just insane. The new Forge lighting system is incredible and basically seems to allow dev-quality-like environments.

I seriously can't wait for map remakes like that Lockout version.
(note: I never experienced Halo 5 Forge so I may be talking out my ass)

Leveraging the "real-time"/dynamic lighting system for the global illumination and shadows rather than having to have budgeted lightmaps/bakes is huuuuuge and also so much easier to work in. Plus all the terrain manipulation/texturing seamlessness that I saw in a different clip should mean truly high quality forge maps rather than blocky programmer art stuff ha

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
With Forge they gotta do some relaunch or something to bolster the playerbase again, would be sad to see such a good Forge mode come out and barely get used.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This Forge stuff is incredible but the impact is going to be severely lessens if it arrives on the scene without a Custom Games Browser or user friendly way to browse and discover new content. Fingers crossed 343 can deliver on that as well as it's a super key ingredient.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
This Forge stuff is incredible but the impact is going to be severely lessens if it arrives on the scene without a Custom Games Browser or user friendly way to browse and discover new content. Fingers crossed 343 can deliver on that as well as it's a super key ingredient.

I also hope there's a matchmaking integration with it — but with just Forge content. I think it should be separate from the official stuff.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's what the season 3 event playlist will be "community creations" or something like that

That would be cool. Season 3 being the first season that starts out with co-op and Forge definitely needs to function as a relaunch season… and that would give the community a great reason to make content in Forge.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Whatever disaster happened at 343 during Infinites development seems to be over. It feels like everyone who made all of the wrong decisions in upper management are gone and the game can get a clear direction with Joseph Staten, but now we have to pay the price by waiting. The lack of progression system, the design of the challenge system, not including any nostalgic nod maps from prior halos, locking classic armors behind a paywall while having an entire battle pass season dedicated to Halo reach, not being able to have colors or amor pieces cross core, keeping classic game modes behind events, not having basic community features during matchmaking….and so on all seem to be a priority now to be fixed. Getting Coop networking and Forge done adds 2 giant pieces to what Halo Infinite should have been at launch and I imagine these are the hardest pieces to get right. Once they get the train going full speed Halo Infinite WILL be a top contender. Forge will provide endless maps for not just arena, but for battle royal as well. We are not sitting here hoping they are working on stuff we know they are working on huge pieces for this game. It sounds funny now but when Season 5-6 rolls around and we get
1)New battle pass
2)New arena maps
3)New coop style Spec Ops events because coop networking is now complete
4)Battle Royal updates whatever that may be because the battle Royal is ready.
5)New game modes
6)Forge updates because there is no way forge is just going to be done after release. This will be a live service forge.
7)New customization items
During a season because the major features are now complete everyone will be like OMG who saw this coming?! Counting out Halo Infinite saying it's dead is silly. Should we be in the drought we are in hell no and everyone involved with the mismanagement should be embarrassed, but it's going to be fixed sooner than later. Let's also not forget that Joseph Staten is also leading a campaign that will launch with Coop play day 1.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Without a custom game browser(which i dont think it is) forge isnt going to do a whole lot imo. People could create the best gametypes and maps but if no one is able to play them then it doesnt matter

Jan 31, 2022
Forge is definitely going to be game changing for Halo Infinite. Especially if they continue to expand upon it and add new features since since Forge could be Microsoft's Garry's Mod. And if 343 allows you to join other peoples community creations that would also be help with the content drought until 343 adds more content to the game.

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
I finally had time to read the full notice (81 pages) that Microsoft sent to the Commerce Commission in New Zealand explaining why the acquisition of Activision Blizzard should be legally fine.

Almost all the interesting info is blocked for confidentiality reasons :S For example, there are almost 2 pages of blank space where MS explains the commercial reasons for the acquisition.

Anyway, there are some cool pieces of info beyond the legal reasoning:

- MS says that they have 24 first-party development studios (because they also count Casual Games Suite as one, the developers of Solitaire, Mahjong or Sudoku). So, we have to update the OT :p

- Tencent is constantly mentioned (23 times), as well as Sony and how the new PS Plus offering is a Gamepass competitor.

- Lots of references to new entrants in the video game market (Apple, Netflix, Amazon, Meta, Google, Nvidia, etc), how easy is nowadays to start a studio and create a super successful game even with just one developer (for example, Flappy Bird is mentioned).

- Valve and Epic are also mentioned quite a bit as competitors post-transaction.

- Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crush represented 82% of Activision Blizzard's 2021 net revenue :o You can bet that those franchises are going to remain multiplatform in the future.

- The only Japanese publishers mentioned as competitors post transaction are Nintendo and Bandai Namco, no mention of SEGA, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, etc. In fact, they also include Roblox or CD Projeckt RED as competitors. It makes economical and legal sense because CD Projeckt RED was Europe's most valuable game company in 2020 and Roblox had around 190 million average monthly players in 2021. But I find it funny how for MS all those Japanese publishers are just a "long tail of smaller competitors". :p

- Lots of talks about how online display advertising, cloud services and merchandising are also relevant markets for this acquisition, but that they don't believe that the transaction could cause competition problems in those markets. They also say that there is nothing unique about the video games developed and published by Activision Blizzard that is a "must have" for rival PC and console video game distributors. So, that a new competitor could do what they do and be successful (that's true but not everyone has +3000 developers working on a single IP). :p

Anyway, cool document! Let's see if the final decision includes a little bit more of data.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever disaster happened at 343 during Infinites development seems to be over.
200.gif

Jan 31, 2022
They're not big studios, but I would love for Xbox to get interior/night and Neon Giant.
They would be a great fit for Microsoft. As Dusk Falls is a great narrative driven game with great storytelling, characters, and dialogue. And it would be great to see Microsoft add Interior/Night since I want more narrative driven games where your choices do matter. Neon Giant would also be a great pickup as well and it would be cool to get a sequel to the Ascent.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I finally had time to read the full notice (81 pages) that Microsoft sent to the Commerce Commission in New Zealand explaining why the acquisition of Activision Blizzard should be legally fine.

Almost all the interesting info is blocked for confidentiality reasons :S For example, there are almost 2 pages of blank space where MS explains the commercial reasons for the acquisition.

- MS says that they have 24 first-party development studios (because they also count Casual Games Suite as one, the developers of Solitaire, Mahjong or Sudoku). So, we have to update the OT :p

- Tencent is constantly mentioned (23 times), as well as Sony and how the new PS Plus offering is a Gamepass competitor.

- Lots of references to new entrants in the video game market (Apple, Netflix, Amazon, Meta, Google, Nvidia, etc), how easy is nowadays to start a studio and create a super successful game even with just one developer (for example, Flappy Bird is mentioned).

- Valve and Epic are also mentioned quite a bit as competitors post-transaction.

- Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Candy Crush represented 82% of Activision Blizzard's 2021 net revenue :o You can bet that those franchises are going to remain multiplatform in the future.

- The only Japanese publishers mentioned as competitors post transaction are Nintendo and Bandai Namco, no mention of SEGA, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, etc. In fact, they also include Roblox or CD Projeckt RED as competitors. It makes economical and legal sense because CD Projeckt RED was Europe's most valuable game company in 2020 and Roblox had around 190 million average monthly players in 2021. But I find it funny how for MS all those Japanese publishers are just a "long tail of smaller competitors". :p

- Lots of talks about how online display advertising, cloud services and merchandising are also relevant markets for this acquisition, but that they don't believe that the transaction could cause competition problems in those markets. They also say that there is nothing unique about the video games developed and published by Activision Blizzard that is a "must have" for rival PC and console video game distributors. So, that a new competitor could do what they do and be successful (that's true but not everyone has +3000 developers working on a single IP). :p

Anyway, cool document! Let's see if the final decision includes a little bit more of data.
thanks for sharing

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
:O
but seriously a few studios would be great, the only publisher i can see them entertaining would be a JP one.
Oh yeah, there's not a chance in hell they buy another western publisher after ABK closes. For anti-trust reasons, I don't really see them going for any large publishers for a long time unless Sony buys someone out too.

I can see some smaller publishers/studios though. Companies like Level 5 or NIS or other smaller studios would be great

Jan 6, 2022
Without a custom game browser(which i dont think it is) forge isnt going to do a whole lot imo. People could create the best gametypes and maps but if no one is able to play them then it doesnt matter
A custom game browser was confirmed to be in development in a blog post a few months ago. Probably won't be there at launch (story of the game), but it is actively being worked on

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Oh yeah, there's not a chance in hell they buy another western publisher after ABK closes. For anti-trust reasons, I don't really see them going for any large publishers for a long time unless Sony buys someone out too.

I can see some smaller publishers/studios though. Companies like Level 5 or NIS or other smaller studios would be great

yeah would really depend on the size?, saying that even after ABK should it pass?, they would still be in 3rd spot game platform wise behind Tencent and Sony so who knows. lol

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Level 5 is all but dead, their only recent game is a NFT MMO
No. They released a Yo-Kai Watch game, they released Megaton Musashi in November 2021 (after the Ni No Kuni mobile game you're referring to) and they are releasing a Inazuma Eleven game next year on PS4 and Switch.

They might not be games you're into but it's inaccurate to say they haven't released any recent games or have no games in development other than blockchain mobile games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No. They released a Yo-Kai Watch game, they released Megaton Musashi in November 2021 (after the Ni No Kuni mobile game you're referring to) and they are releasing a Inazuma Eleven game next year on PS4 and Switch.

I'm waiting for Inazuma Eleven for about 5 years now, so not hopeful

Yo-Kai Watch and Megaton Musashi were never localized and will probably never be

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I wonder if they're thinking about it specifically in terms of audiences / genres, other than Nintendo who is an obvious choice as one of only two other home console makers. CDPR is obviously their strongest competition on the WRPG front, Roblox VS Minecraft to some extent, and Bandai Namco publishes Project Cars against Forza and... Okay so this kind of fell apart on me.

Might just be going off of biggest competitor in the region, Bandai Namco is the biggest in Japan, in terms of market cap, by a pretty significant amount, and as you said at the time CDPR was the biggest in Europe.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I'm waiting for Inazuma Eleven for about 5 years now, so not hopeful

Yo-Kai Watch and Megaton Musashi were never localized and will probably never be
In this instance, we are talking about Microsoft owning Level-5. There is no way Microsoft would keep games locked to Japan as an American company and no reason to believe that they would do that. Lol. Plus, if Microsoft owned Level-5 they would double or triple their amount of staff/developers like they have in every other acquisition and probably work on new IP and have way more games in development.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
In this instance, we are talking about Microsoft owning Level-5. There is no way Microsoft would keep games locked to Japan as an American company and no reason to believe that they would do that. Lol. Plus, if Microsoft owned Level-5 they would double or triple their amount of staff/developers like they have in every other acquisition and probably work on new IP and have way more games in development.

They are very mismanaged, the problem isn't the number of employees (about 300). MS would need to change everything

But I would be all for it if they could do games I love again

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Int/Night would be a great "statement" with it being a diverse and women-led studio imo. Neon Giant would be fantastic as well, I think there is a lot of potential within that studio. For me, Certain Affinity should be secured like yesterday. I heard rumours of Avalanche last year (Contraband), but that clearly went nowhere.

My wish is that they look for individual studios. I really don't think they need even more publishers. They have enough work & responsibility with the three they have. I liked the Compulsion Games / inXile / Double Fine / Ninja Theory etc. scaled acquisitions, because you can clearly see how MS can actually accelerate these kind of studios.

True, although maybe a smaller pub that fits a need would be good.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
What's even more mind blowing is that AFAIK, there's still no SAVING in Forge right now. That functionality isn't turned on in the leaked builds. So these are all things that have been made in one session. It could be one long session. But considering people have been making stuff that they have to essentially REMAKE EVERY DAY to keep working on or else form whole cloth in one go? Incredible.

[...]

Thanks for sharing!! I have said that MS Casual games gets overlooked far too much here haha. (From my post history, maybe like twice lol. But still! It's been said!) I considered buying a shirt in the recent sale, but the designs for them were just ok loll.

Wow, that's... crazy. Just to make sure I'm not making a silly mistake, net revenue being the same as net income, yes? You can understand why those franchises can be like black holes sucking everything else into them. It is funny that it's like one each from A, B, and K. Man, that really puts into perspective things like Overwatch, even. And that's even with an EXTREMELY down year for WOW, where everyone was hating on them, sales seemed bad, and FF14 was truly ascendant.

And finally, it's obvious that's because SEGA, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, etc are all about to be acquired imminently.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Great write-up and find, as usual.

The first bullet point, to me, indicates that anything besides those 3 mammoths are open to be considered for console exclusivity. And WoW is doing that without a console version anyway so you could still conceivably have a killer Xbox exclusive if a version ever does come. Really, it says that anything that isn't COD is probably being looked at as possible exclusivity leverage to get people into Xbox ecosystem imo. Diablo IV and Overwatch 2 were looong into dev and announced before the acquisition. And you can't meddle with the company yet. But if they weren't announced or Playstation version so far along? I'm thinking not even THOSE games would be safe bets for Playstation. Especially coupled with the second bullet point quoted. They simply don't see most of these IP as games they can't make exclusive if they crunch the numbers and it works out better for their biz goals to do so.

To me, this says that the new Blizzard survival IP is almost certainly Xbox exclusive. And probably anything unannounced, really. Do you take an 18% revenue hit to pump up Game Pass and Xbox? You might indeed do such a thing. And it wouldn't be a full 18% as the games would still release on the Xbox and PC. I bet it would be closer to a 10% revenue hit for all things not COD, WOW, and Candy Crush. Seems very possible to me.

The other thing it says to me is COD will never ever go exclusive.

EDIT: When you think about how much money Actiblizz actually makes off of Playstation sales sans COD, it actually isn't a very large amount of revenue in the grand scheme of things if numbers like these are the norm. It's actually a really really small amount of the pie.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for this. Interesting to see CD Red and Namco listed as competition. I guess the next acquisition will be SEGA, Capcom, Konami or Square Enix 😁

Last edited:

Gojo Satoru

Apr 19, 2022

Interest info, thanks for sharing.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It kind of seems like they just put up the most valuable game companies in those regions. I don't think it's too deep.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So the UK is slated to respond/decide on the merger by Sept 1 and depending on when Activision supplied the FTC with info (if they have) then the FTC would have 30 days to respond starting from ~July 15th at the very earliest..

Could be looking at a similar approval date for the UK and the US. Hopefully ABK responded already, and maybe it's brought up on the earnings call on Monday. If they're draggin their feet they need to hurry tf up lol. Because the 30 days starts after both MS and ABK comply with the FTC second request.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.