• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
If it can run 60 fps on xsx despite muh simulations then it can run 60 fps on xss probably but may look a bit potato. I wouldnt really hold my breath.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Just saw the new Redfall pics from the GamesRadar article. The lighting looks tremendously improved from early gameplay trailers. Lighting is so critical to a game's visual impact, I'm glad that got fixed.
The atmospheric fog effects heavily featured in those screens look v good.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I didn't wanted to get a new console but if the next gen only games run at 30 fps on Series S then I'll have to buy a Series X.

I really don't mind a low resolution and worse graphics, I just want 60 fps.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I didn't wanted to get a new console but if the next gen only games run at 30 fps on Series S then I'll have to buy a Series X.

I really don't mind a low resolution and worse graphics, I just want 60 fps.

Series S will be interesting for sure. I think it'll be less "can they do it" and more "are they willing to ship games at 720p in 2024+?"

But on the other hand, I also expect first party games to really be optimized well. So we might see some Series S modes out of XGS/Bethesda games that we don't see a lot more generally. Forza Horizon 5 is a good example there.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Fallout 76 with the fps boost "hack" to force 4K60 (by swapping the toggle and quick resuming) ran around 50-60 fps and dipped to 45 depending on the scene. That was full 4K resolution using a non native port and relying on fps boost. Using the standard One S settings pretty much locked 60 fps based on DF coverage. So it definitely wasnt the cpu, rather the gpu.

I just do not imagine Starfield being so wildly more complex that the new engine enhancements couldnt handle offering more than 30 fps. Graphics can be scaled back/FSR/etc.

Jun 25, 2022
Fallout 76 with the fps boost "hack" to force 4K60 (by swapping the toggle and quick resuming) ran around 50-60 fps and dipped to 45 depending on the scene. That was full 4K resolution using a non native port and relying on fps boost. Using the standard One S settings pretty much locked 60 fps based on DF coverage. So it definitely wasnt the cpu, rather the gpu.

I just do not imagine Starfield being so wildly more complex that the new engine enhancements couldnt handle offering more than 30 fps. Graphics can be scaled back/FSR/etc.
Does FO76 have any NPCs? I genuinely forgot.

I agree though that if it's mostly GPU bound, there's no reason it can't be 60fps with some compromises like many other games. I just think they're going to take all the things that make Skyrim/Fallout so CPU intensive and crank it up to 11. I'm thinking over twice as many NPCs in towns and cities that really feel like towns and cities and not just small settlements with 12 people living in it. They're probably doing stuff that wouldn't be possible on last gen consoles due to the Jaguar CPUs.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Usually when I wake up I see 1-2 new pages and read it while going to work but now thread moves so fast and I have 5-6 pages to read lol.

Everyone is waiting for Starfield, interview of Redfall made me hype. Year of Xbox is this year. We just need Starfield to be 90+ metacritic game.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone seems to be waiting to see if Starfield is 30 or 60 fps. Meanwhile, I don't care much about that and am fine with either as long as it consistently stays at the frame rate cap. I'm only really bothered by frequent frame rate fluctuations or by extremely low frame rates like seen often on N64 games.

I'm much more interested in and still hoping for a VATS equivalent or variant in the game. While I like shooters in general, real-time shooting is the last thing I want or care about in a Bethesda game. I mean if I HAVE to, I'll make it work. However, I'd much prefer a VATS system.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Everyone seems to be waiting to see if Starfield is 30 or 60 fps. Meanwhile, I don't care much about that and am fine with either as long as it consistently stays at the frame rate cap. I'm only really bothered by frequent frame rate fluctuations or by extremely low frame rates like seen often on N64 games.

I'm much more interested in and still hoping for a VATS equivalent or variant in the game. While I like shooters in general, real-time shooting is the last thing I want or care about in a Bethesda game. I mean if I HAVE to, I'll make it work. However, I'd much prefer a VATS system.

Yeah I hear you. If it's solid 30 I'll still play it, a high performance PC just isn't an option for me right now. But I'm really hoping the extra time and support mean we'll get some sort of option, even if it's just a 40 mode for newer TVs.

Re VATS, no real opinion. It looks like it's just straight up shooting but they've also talked about emphasizing the RPG side of things so idk.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I play on série x and pc with a 3070ti and for starfield even on m'y pc ,even on it i m not sur it will run more than 30fps. ( I Hope they put dlss on this game )
If the game push it well , i m okay with it .
Both console ( ps5, série x and my gpu too ) are not a 4080 or 4090, WE should accept 30fps if the game look good , and have a stable framerate ( and good physics etc...etc..).
Of course if the game is not pretty at all and the World is empty this is not normal .
But for starfield if the game show Big distance view without poping, better graphic than last year year , i m okay with 30fps x)

onesvenus

May 27, 2018
There's no way most next-gen only games target 60fps. If you believe that you are in for a rude awakening.
As it has happened before, most studios will push graphics as far as they can thus making 60fps difficult.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Had a weird dream that The Coalition announced a Gears 5 remaster. I think that's courtesy of the ZMA I've started taking.

On a separate note, is the expectation that there'll be a first party showcase within Q1?

Deleted member 129418

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2022
Had a weird dream that The Coalition announced a Gears 5 remaster. I think that's courtesy of the ZMA I've started taking.

On a separate note, is the expectation that there'll be a first party showcase within Q1?
yea, Q1. either January or February, march is probably too late. we've got teams and clown profile picture bets and all

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I really think that 2023 will not just be the year of the Xbox, but the beginning of the Xbox era. Microsoft promises an amazing 2023, but I think 2024 and 2025 will be even better.
Here's my personal prediction for future first-party Xbox games (which doesn't include Activision Blizzard):

Almost confirmed

2023:
- Forza Motorsport
- Starfield
- RedFall
- Minecraft Legends
- Age of Empires IV for Xbox
- Ara: History Untold
- GoldenEye Remaster

My prediction

2023:
- Hellblade 2
- Wolfenstein 3
- Project Belfry
- John Johanas' Game
- Halo Tatanka

2024:
- Fable
- Avowed
- Contraband
- Quake Reboot
- Forza (Playground)
- Halo: The Endless
- Age of Mitology
- The Coalition New IP
- Project Mara
- Project Vonnegut
- Zenimax Online New IP

2025:
- Gears 6
- Everwild
- Perfect Dark
- Indiana Jones
- inXile's RPG
- Compulsion's Game
- Double Fine New IP
- KojiPro Cloud Game
- Project Dragon
- Killer Instinct
- Project Shaolin

2026:
- The Outer Worlds 2
- The Elder Scrolls VI
- Arkane Lyon New IP
- Tango Gameworks New IP
- Roundhouse New IP
- Project Suerte

some cool predictions there, one thing is for sure the flood gates have opened!

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I had a dream a month ago that the next gears wasn't called gears 6, and it was similar to halo infinite. Open world, but gameplay was changed quite a bit. Much faster and arcadey

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018

I'm not being 100% serious, but I feel like it's been completely forgotten in the discussion. It's a game that was not announced at any showcase, it was randomly announced with a short teaser. We're so focused on Hellblade II for good reason, but is there any world where Project Mara comes out before Hellblade II? It's supposed to be a game smaller in scope. I would just love to know any sort of insight in how it's coming along or when we can expect to hear from it again.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yup, if people still think this, they'll be in for a rude awaking soon enough. I would hope people know by now that you never buy a console for its performance. These are not magic boxes that will run every game at 60 fps. If you want 60 fps in all your games and you can afford it, you always go the PC route. I know that some people are not going to like this, but I look forward to the day where hardware goes away and we play all games through cloud. Through cloud, hardware can constantly be updated in the background and you know what that means - you'll be able to run all your games at 60 fps or higher. You can already do that with GeForce Now, but the unfortunate thing with GeForce Now is that not all games are supported.

Indeed.
I found this Digital Foundry article on 30fps and next-gen consoles interesting also.
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-why-the-return-of-30fps-console-games-is-inevitable

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I had a dream a month ago that the next gears wasn't called gears 6, and it was similar to halo infinite. Open world, but gameplay was changed quite a bit. Much faster and arcadey
Baird has to come through with some gadgets that effect movement. The dream being mostly right seems possible to me.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The Last of Us Part 2 released with 30 FPS and nobody blinked an eye. I also enjoy 60 FPS when possible, but singleplayer RPG Bethesda games will never be designed around this. If we go back to resolution/FPS wars for Starfield, I will stay out of forums for two weeks or so.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The Last of Us Part 2 released with 30 FPS and nobody blinked an eye. I also enjoy 60 FPS when possible, but singleplayer RPG Bethesda games will never be designed around this. If we go back to resolution/FPS wars for Starfield, I will stay out of forums for two weeks or so.
Wasn't 30FPS the standard last gen? 60FPS was never a question.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The DF article pointing to gotham knights and plague tale is already kinda outdated. Gotham is hopeless, but Plague tale received big optimization patches that improved perf across the board and Alex's video showed it could reach over 60 fps other than the extremely taxing market area which took it to 50 if res was dropped to 1080p.

I'm sure going to 30 fps or 40 or it becoming more prevalent is inevitable, but Requiem isn't really the best example to back the claim anymore.

30 fps isn't unplayable and in many games like Plague Tale it's not too detracting from the experience, bit idk why anyone would want to not have performance mode options. The only scenario of a 30 fps game only making sense coming from the AAA first party side may be heavy simulation in combo with raytracing being at the core of the design. Meaning not just reflections, but something like Matrix demo.

Even Fortnite has shown you can get exceptional hybrid rendering at 60 fps with the bells and whistles though and i would be very disappointed if The Coalition wasn't able to do the same (and have 30 as an option for enhancements for those that want it).

Last edited:

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'm not being 100% serious, but I feel like it's been completely forgotten in the discussion. It's a game that was not announced at any showcase, it was randomly announced with a short teaser. We're so focused on Hellblade II for good reason, but is there any world where Project Mara comes out before Hellblade II? It's supposed to be a game smaller in scope. I would just love to know any sort of insight in how it's coming along or when we can expect to hear from it again.

I think people don't discuss it because we don't even know how much of a 'game' it is

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
i think Jez is an entertaining and very reliable guy, he's an important part of the community. he's at his best when he's reporting on something with hard evidence, which he seems to step out more commonly nowadays. sometimes it's still right (like xbox's no-show at The Game Awards), other times it's not (Halo engine swap)

pretty much

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I think people don't discuss it because we don't even know how much of a 'game' it is

This is it's description: "Project Mara is an in-development experimental game from Ninja Theory with a focus on recreating the terror of mental health issues and it will be "based on real lived experience accounts and in-depth research."

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The DF article pointing to gotham knights and plague tale is already kinda outdated. Gotham is hopeless, but Plague tale received big optimization patches that improved perf across the board and Alex's video showed it could reach over 60 fps other than the extremely taxing market area which took it to 50 if res was dropped to 1080p.

I'm sure going to 30 fps or 40 or it becoming more prevalent is inevitable, but Requiem isn't really the best example to back the claim anymore.

30 fps isn't unplayable and in many games like Plague Tale it's not too detracting from the experience, bit idk why anyone would want to not have performance mode options. The only scenario of a 30 fps game only making sense coming from the AAA first party side may be heavy simulation in combo with raytracing being at the core of the design. Meaning not just reflections, but something like Matrix demo.

Even Fortnite has shown you can get exceptional hybrid rendering at 60 fps with the bells and whistles though and i would be very disappointed if The Coalition wasn't able to do the same (and have 30 as an option for enhancements for those that want it).

Console only players should always expect 30 and be pleasantly surprised when they hear 60 or more. There are devs who we know will most likely go for 60…but it will never not be odd to see console players so concerned about performance.

There is nothing different about this generation than anything in the past. 60 has been achievable for a long time…but closed boxes and all that jazz.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I just want a 40fps or uncapped framerate option on console to decide (on my 65" HDMI 2.1 OLED TV). My gaming PC has a 2070S + 1440p monitor so depends on whether the trade-off in settings vs frame-rate between my PC and Series X is worth it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Console only players should always expect 30 and be pleasantly surprised when they hear 60 or more. There are devs who we know will most likely go for 60…but it will never not be odd to see console players so concerned about performance.

There is nothing different about this generation than anything in the past. 60 has been achievable for a long time…but closed boxes and all that jazz.
I get that, because people have been conditioned a bit since the HD era, but we should ask for more. Unless a game is super cpu limited and/or poorly multithreaded the xsx should be able to run the xss version at 60 fps. Always. Not being able to would be the exception to the norm, ideally. We're beyond the shitty jaguar cpu and specs of last gen and there should be better experiences offered at least from the first party side. We're getting 60 fps with raytracing in game with Forza Motorsport, next gen exclusive. That shouldn't change as the gen goes on.

I'm primarily a pc player and just want better for my console only brothers and sisters 😪
I just want a 40fps or uncapped framerate option on console to decide (on my 65" HDMI 2.1 OLED TV). My gaming PC has a 2070S + 1440p monitor so depends on whether the trade-off in settings vs frame-rate between my PC and Series X is worth it.
Same here. I need the abk deal to to thru so I can splurge on a C3 or A90L with the profit lmao. Pls papa phil bless me

Status
Not open for further replies.