• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
elite style removable paddles should have been default. they can't add a ton to the cost but man do they make a difference in playing. i get they want to sell elites though :P

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Needed.

EaZcqCzWkAAKOZH

I'd love to see something I've this....but I'm expecting something more along the lines of the S. Either way I'm very interested in Lockhart because it could be a Christmas present for my son. If not this year then next.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
A dozens of users who quoted me seem to have understand my point. You didn't. So no, you are wrong -- and obviously I stand by my words.

Xbox has to accept that narratives about their brand exist -- and they need to learn from that.

And dozen of users on that thread doesn't agree with you, but with me? So i am correct?

Just because someone else thinks same way as you, doesn't mean you are right. I already explained to you why you were wrong but you just ignored it.

Dec 31, 2017
Lmao. How are they PR talk, specially when you havent even tested those? Like wth?

Complete overhaul. There is thread about it.

DS5 is complitely different thing. Can't compare those.

And MS approach is perfectly fine. They've been chancing UI all the time this gen, controller is fine and Series X looks good.
First thing I do in almost all games is disable all those "extra" controller features. They had the rumble in the triggers on Xbox One and "3D Rumble" on Switch, and both were useless. I've never had anyone come to me and say how game changing it was to their experience, it just isn't, their gimmicks at best.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
elite style removable paddles should have been default. they can't add a ton to the cost but man do they make a difference in playing. i get they want to sell elites though :P

I don't think its about "selling elites" as much as it is about not pricing regular consumers out of your peripherals. The more things you add to a standard controller they more pricey they get. Its actually one of the things I'm most curious about with the PS5. What the extra controllers are going to cost.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
Regarding UI, are we sure we will not get a redesign or if the redesign is for both XONE and XSX thus 'no change over XONE'?
because I find it would be quite odd that
1. Their Xbox app on PC has a new sleek design language
2. Their leaked store redesign for consoles using the same design language.
3. They are redesigning the mobile apps, which I would assume would use the same fluent design language.

and yet their main UI for the console will be left untouched, with only minor change? I just find that hard to believe.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Starting to feel more and more disappointed by MS's next-gen approach.

Same controller, understandably its a great controller but, would be nice to have innovations on top of such a great foundation

Cross gen games

No new UI

Starting to feel like a more powerful Xbox One at this point, I'm sure I'll get flack for it. I'm happy about the SSD, RT, etc but I like the feeling of a completely brand new experience at the start of a generation.
There will be a new UI, it just won't be XSX exclusive

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
First thing I do in almost all games is disable all those "extra" controller features. They had the rumble in the triggers on Xbox One and "3D Rumble" on Switch, and both were useless. I've never had anyone come to me and say how game changing it was to their experience, it just isn't, their gimmicks at best.

For you maybe. Even in this Forum many people have praised Switch haptic feedback and people havent tested DS5 so you can't just say it is PR gimmick right now.

Could it be? Sure. But we dont know that yet.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

I for one love rumble. I can't stand a completely lifeless controller in my hand.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding UI, are we sure we will not get a redesign or if the redesign is for both XONE and XSX thus 'no change over XONE'?
3. They are redesigning the mobile apps, which I would assume would use the same fluent design language.

and yet their main UI for the console will be left untouched, with only minor change? I just find that hard to believe.
We'll definitely get a redesign with Mercury UI. But MS cant launch XSX without feature parity, and the list of features for X1 is insane. Id much rather us maintain features and get a snappier UI then a fancy new one with reduced feature set or greater instability. I think we should view the OS as we do iPhone/Andriod releases, we'll get a new UI at somepoint but not perhaps with the launch of new hardware.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And dozen of users on that thread doesn't agree with you, but with me? So i am correct?

Just because someone else thinks same way as you, doesn't mean you are right. I already explained to you why you were wrong, but you just ignored it.
That thread isn't about "Oh noes Series X sucks it doesn't even run crossgen games 60 FPS".
This is what your reply started with. A non-sense quotation which doesn't exist nor was implied. Creating a fake statement is not worth an answer nor a basis for discussion, even less so when it has nothing to do with the point I made.

You clearly haven't understand the point I'm making but instead think about ... A plastic box, internet drama or whatever. Again, for you. Narratives about Xbox exist. Some warranted. Some not so much. I used the thread as an example -- go ahead and read all the console wars replies -- to prove that these narratives exist. Xbox needs to be aware of these -- and ultimately needs to learn on how to tackle them.

If you still don't get it, feel free to write me a PM as we are way too off-topic.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
my guess Everwild, Tell Me Why and Hellblade II will be there also, along with other games

I want Everwild to be a proper single player exploration/adventure game. I don't honestly want it to go in the co-op adventure route (if it is, I want it to be a completely optional mode)

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
We'll definitely get a redesign with Mercury UI. But MS cant launch XSX without feature parity, and the list of features for X1 is insane. Id much rather us maintain features and get a snappier UI then a fancy new one with reduced feature set or greater instability. I think we should view the OS as we do iPhone/Andriod releases, we'll get a new UI at somepoint but not perhaps with the launch of new hardware.
Could be, but from the leaked store footage, at least the store re-design is quite close to completion, I will be surprised if the main UI redesign isn't at least progressed similarly, I can't see they push the store first create a distinctive look between their store and UI.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

This.

100% sure Consoles will have revamped UI "design languages" in lines PC/mobile app Fluent design.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I remember how bad the UI was at the beginning of the gen, and how bad Kinect was - even when it was supposed to be working properly, it missed basic features that was just baffling. Then it got a lot worse, before reverting back to below par. I think it's a massive risk to launch a new UI across all consoles, XGP and XCloud, when some platforms haven't even been tested in the wild.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, MS probably has data that shows a majority of people didn't use the rumble feature so they invested in improvements in the fit and function, low latency, instead.
Also think is was a cost move. The PS5 controller can't be cheap to make.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Xbox One controller is almost perfect. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Probably saves on BOM as well. Get that price down, bb
Exactly, I'm expecting XSX to come in lower than PS5. Probably matching the PS5 digital version. It seems like MS put all the cost into the important stuff, CPU/GPU/SSD and put it a box. Its missing the hdmi in port, optical port, ir port, and kinect port from XB1. Basically the same controller so no significant development cost there. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it came in at $399.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
This is what your reply started with. A non-sense quotation which doesn't exist nor was implied. Creating a fake statement is not worth an answer nor a basis for discussion.

You clearly haven't understand the point I'm making but instead think about ... A plastic box, internet drama or whatever. Again, for you. Narratives about Xbox exist. Some warranted. Some not so much. I used the thread as an example -- go ahead and read all the console wars replies -- to prove that these narratives exist. Xbox needs to be aware of these -- and ultimately needs to learn on how to tackle them.

If you still don't get it, feel free to write me a PM as we are way too off-topic.

You should probably quote whole message and read your own again:

"I'm usually not that kind of guy but ... That thread has 27 pages(!) full of doom and gloom.

A few weeks later, PS5 exclusives get announced, with the majority of them running at ... 30fps. And literally no one cares"

You clearly imply that people cared about 30/60 fps, because it was game shown by Microsoft and running on Series X. But that isn't the case. Before we saw games, people were thinking 4K/60 FPS is given on next gen consoles. Then we get first glimpses of next gen games shown by Microsoft and we hear that AC:Valhalla is 4K/30 FPS. People were disappointed, but it had nothing to do with Microsoft.

Why aren't people making threads about PS5 games running 30FPS? Because it isn't new thing anymore. If Sony who went first and showed AC:Valhalla gameplay instead of Microsoft that thread would've still be made.

Edit: That whole thread got locked and kolbe got 3 day ban for console warring, because he basicly said same thing as you.

And yeah this is enough of this. If you wanna answer to this, PM is fine or just ignore it.

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, MS probably has data that shows a majority of people didn't use the rumble feature so they invested in improvements in the fit and function, low latency, instead.
Also think is was a cost move. The PS5 controller can't be cheap to make.
I am interested to see how Microsoft's low latency push translates to how games feel in your hands vs their competitors. Some of the latency numbers last gen for controller inputs were out of control (haha).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
OS doesn't need to be overhauled, it has been during the span of this gen and what we will get is the latest iteration of that. What we are using right now doesn't even look at all like what we had at launch. MacOS and Windows don't change that much either as it's not necessary. You don't mess with something that works, it's pointless and doesn't make your console more next gen, just add the new features in, remove what doesn't work, and you're basically done! To say you need a new controller or a new UI for it to feel next gen is, in my opinion, very childish and stupid. I don't see myself wondering why MacOS hasn't been completely overhauled since I started using Macs in 2006, same with my iPhone. Even WIi to WiiU to Switch doesn't feel all that different honestly, Nintendo didn't change whatever they had as they realized it worked for them. Controller is seeing refinements and MS's testing has shown that even small changes fucks up people in their testing and I am glad that whatever I have is compatible in the future, and that whatever I will be buying in the next few years will feel very similar. It's a controller, it's made so that whatever you have in mind happens on screen as efficiently and easy as possible. Re-designing a controller goes against that, which means it's BAD! Look at FPS mice on PC, they almost all look the same, and for good reason! You get to a point where changes are not needed, I don't understand how hard that is to understand!

Special triggers or rumbles or whatever it is you want to call it doesn't make games more immersive, it's all PR talk so they can add that X game has been optimized for it to make you feel like the games will be more special to you if you play with their controller. I know that PR shit works on a lot of people though (just reading those other threads shows that and all the concern trolling of MS having no joy lol), but I'm glad MS isn't falling for that crap anymore. They've been learning to walk for 3 gens now, perfecting what they have and figuring out their DNA, and they are now ready to run and reach cruising speed and Series X will be the most refined gaming console ever made.

The things you're comparing are not generational leaps. MacOS gets OS updates. Windows gets OS updates. iPhones get iterations. Some bigger than others. What's the difference? Namely, the time between generations. Seven+ years is a long time, and you want a new, fresh experience. Could you imagine if there were SEVEN YEARS between iPhones? Even if there was an extra iterative one thrown in there in year 3. It would be a staggering difference, in both UI and hardware.

I don't know what you're talking about with Switch UI and controller not being all that different. They are literally COMPLETELY different designs. Wii U wasn't a big difference in design from Wii, but it was called Wii U. It had the previous console's name in its own name. It was also a failure and hardly anybody bought it, in part because many people didn't even know it was a new console generation.

I mean, come on. Calling the desire to want a completely fresh experience after seven years of the same thing or iterations "childish and stupid," is pretty ridiculous, considering a completely fresh experience has ALWAYS been what we've got from every console manufacturer, except the next one from MS. It's fine that you don't care about things like haptics or special features, but a lot of us do. I like the rumble triggers on XB1. I like the HD rumble on Switch. It's not PR. I LIKE THEM. And I can't wait to try out the PS5 controller. I can't say that I can't wait to try out the Series X controller, because I'm not expecting anything other than an iteration on the controller I already have.

Also, I genuinely think this thread has a not-so-slight persecution complex problem. I don't know if it just comes from the fact that Playstation has been more popular this generation and therefore has objectively a larger group of PS owners, but the forum is not out to get you. There are tons of fans of the Xbox brand (myself included) and PS brand (myself included), as well as plenty of people who don't like one of the other systems. We don't need to call out hypocrisy in PS fanboys and ignore that MS fanboys do the same things. Fanboys are dumb and don't care that they do the same things that they call others out for.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I don't like bringing up anything Sony in this thread as it invites system warring from both teams however here were the most relevant take-aways from the Sony show as it relates to Xbox:
  • Indies - I keep saying to look out for them next gen. The bar on production values will be high enough for small teams to get noticed by the mainstream. Between IX and the Sony show, I saw games from small teams that looked excellent and fill that AA void that's been missing for most of this gen. Going forward, these Indie studios will punch even higher as we see the tools come into form over the next year or two. Things like ML, Quixel, and Houdini are examples of tech that will allow small devs to make big looking games. If you aren't seeing the Chess moves 2 steps ahead, let me foreshadow...Game Pass quality with these Day 1 Indies is about to explode.
  • Cartoony games - One of the most talked about games from the PS5 show was Kena. A cartoony game made from a 15 person studio. It re-states point 1. Point 2 is that despite the narrative of plastic warriors over the past year, gaming enthusiasts do still value variety. We all could also use a few more bright, happy things in the world we live in. Hopefully it means some people can stop apologizing for games like Everwild.
  • Next gen games looking like current gen games - As someone who's been gaming for almost 40 years, there's no surprises there. We go through this every new console cycle. Any game that isn't a faked pre-rendered video doesn't look next gen enough. Anything release within the next year or 2 will have started development on current gen consoles with current gen tools. It's why many of us have said that Xbox 1st party supporting Xbox One for 1 to 2 years was a non-issue. The existence of supporting the previous gen doesn't hold the next gen back when those games spent most of their dev life on the previous gen.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
I want Everwild to be a proper single player exploration/adventure game. I don't honestly want it to go in the co-op adventure route (if it is, I want it to be a completely optional mode)
If the trailer wasn't already evidence enough that it's going in the direction of co-op, I feel like they hinted at it in the reveal article; saying it's an experience for 'people everywhere to share'.

Im up for more co-op games from them. I would like them to take a different approach to this one however. Whereas SoT is very anti-vertical progression, I'd love for this one to embrace it.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I genuinely think this thread has a not-so-slight persecution complex problem. I don't know if it just comes from the fact that Playstation has been more popular this generation and therefore has objectively a larger group of PS owners, but the forum is not out to get you. There are tons of fans of the Xbox brand (myself included) and PS brand (myself included), as well as plenty of people who don't like one of the other systems. We don't need to call out hypocrisy in PS fanboys and ignore that MS fanboys do the same things. Fanboys are dumb and don't care that they do the same things that they call others out for.
To be fair I've seen the same thing in the Playstation Studios thread where everyone that wasn't impressed with Sony's offering was a Xbot in disguise. Also doesnt help when people come in to these type of threads and try to score internet points. Tensions are high right now and people just need to chill out overall. If there is thread drama keep it in that thread or PMs imo.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I think the UI is in a solid place after years of them tweaking it. I'd much rather them just keep refining it (and add those refinements to the X1 UI for a unified experience) then make something completely new and different just because. Plus, it helps us from having to deal with missing features at launch like last time.

And the controller is basically perfect already, so yeah.

Anyone spinning that as a negative just baffles me.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't understand the discussion. Didn't we already receive info by someone from Xbox that XSX will get a new / different / enhanced UI design? By Jason Ronald or someone? Or am I just misremembering?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the discussion. Didn't we already receive info by someone from Xbox that XSX will get a new / different / enhanced UI design? By Jason Ronald or someone? Or am I just misremembering?
Tom Warren said the Series X will share the same dash as the One family, and Jez said there is another update coming as well this year. (Mercury store leak, fluent design, etc.)

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man after seeing that Ratchet and Clank trailer and its use of dimensional rifts I'd love to see what a Blinx Game could do with time powers using the ssd and velocity architecture of the series x. Thinking on it....I'd love to see what possibly a Pyschonauts sequel could do built from the ground up for next gen!!

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'd prefer digital, but I feel like the sales on physical skus are always a hell of a lot better for console games

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Tom Warren said the Series X will share the same dash as the One family, and Jez said there is another update coming as well this year. (Mercury store leak, fluent design, etc.)
Yea. That's not a contradiction at all though. Same UI on Xbox One and Xbox Series X doesn't equal = no new UI at all. If I remember correctly, we will get UI enhancements/a new design/whatever, likely similar to the new store. I'd be surprised if XSX ships with exactly the same OS we have on Xbox One today.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Man after seeing that Ratchet and Clank trailer and its use of dimensional rifts I'd love to see what a Blinx Game could do with time powers using the ssd and velocity architecture of the series x. Thinking on it....I'd love to see what possibly a Pyschonauts sequel could do built from the ground up for next gen could do!!

hellblade 2, with all its mental health stuff, could also take advantage of the SSDs in interesting and in this case unexpected ways

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. That's not a contradiction at all though. Same UI on Xbox One and Xbox Series X doesn't equal = no new UI at all. If I remember correctly, we will get UI enhancements/a new design/whatever, likely similar to the new store. I'd be surprised if XSX ships with exactly the same OS we have on Xbox One today.
Yep, agreed.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
The UI I completely understand and I'm absolutely fine with, they have finally got it to a good place so don't fuck it up now. Just optimise it for Series X and bring it visually in-line with the new Mercury store, which according to insiders that is what they're doing. Obviously more tweaks and simplification like they have been doing the last couple of months, plus some next gen only features like multi resume. All in all I think this is a smart move.

The controller I'm far less excited about, but it doesn't really bother me as I use an elite. But I would have liked them to improve their rumble tech and haptic triggers, maybe bring some of the elite features over to the standard controller in simple ways as well (ex. two paddles.) But I wouldn't put it past MS to release a couple of different controller refreshes this gen like they did last gen, I can see them in a year or two having a new standard controller with some added features like Haptics and gyro. It seems like they focused on areas that are inherent improvements to the controller, rather than features that require a devs time and attention that could potentially go under utilised (i.e. Haptic triggers.) All the changes they have made to the controller are without a doubt good ones and will absolutely benefit the experience across the board, but they didn't do anything that would add on to the BOM. They seem to have focused as much of the manufacturing cost as possible into the console itself, which I guess some people will say is the smart choice. Still, don't just settle for good, which is sort of my problem with this thinking. Make an even better feeling material in the hand, make a more accurate fine grained/nuanced rumble, design even more tactile/crisp face buttons etc. The D-pad changed because it wasn't good enough, not because they weren't settling for just good.

Cross gen games I will wait to make my final judgement on, but generally right now I'm positive on it and I understand the consumer benefits (as well as business.) Generally games in the first year of a new console aren't pushing any boundaries with the new tech, MS has only committed to the first year of next gen so I'm fine with it. Nothing we have seen so far except Ratchet, has demonstrated anything that is potentially launching in the first year that wouldn't be possible on last gen tbh. Even Ratchet was rumoured a long time ago and supposedly moved to PS5 after originally targeting PS4, we even had a report saying Horizon 2 was targeting PS4 before moving over to PS5. Both those games looked amazing as next gen games, so I'm not worried about cross gen for the first year being a big issue or a detractor. Basically Kena shows that graphically cross gen games can hold up at the beginning of a new gen with next gen exclusives, while the vast majority of the first year titles shown so far aren't impossible on last gen. If MS decided to extended this cross gen period into the second or third year, then I would definitely have a problem with it as devs will have been working with/developing for the hardware long enough that it will be limiting.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, obviously we're now pretty sure Obsidian is going to show up with their next RPG at the july event, but I've been thinking about it, and I can't really wrap my head around it. If it's been in development since early 2018 or something, being worked in parallel with Outer Worlds, are we even 100% certain it's an Xbox-funded project? Can't it be published by another company?

Because I'd assume they didn't start work on the game by themselves before pitching it around. I mean, there is the possibility that it was actually pitched to Microsoft, greenlit and that this is what started the acquisition talks, but if it's not that, I do wonder if it's still supposed to be a project not fully created through Xbox.
I'd say this is extremely unlikely.

Much like Grounded, Hellblade 2, and Bleeding Edge, every game revealed after a studio's acquisition has been published by Microsoft -- even if work began on it prior. Even if a game is already signed, it would make sense for Microsoft to purchase the publishing rights. Other publishers aren't going to want to invest in something they won't be able to grow further, especially if it's just starting development.

Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire released in May 2018, just a few months before Microsoft announced their acquisition on Obsidian. As this seems to be Obsidian's biggest team, it can be assumed that most of the developers are the ones working on the AAA RPG. Microsoft and Obsidian would have been in discussion on the acquisition during the time the next game was starting development. If Obsidian knew they were being purchased, they wouldn't pitch or sign their game to someone else.

On an episode of the Xbox Two podcast, I believe Rand or Jez even said Obsidian's next game was one of the main reasons Microsoft bought the company.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Starting to feel more and more disappointed by MS's next-gen approach.

Same controller, understandably its a great controller but, would be nice to have innovations on top of such a great foundation

Cross gen games

No new UI

Starting to feel like a more powerful Xbox One at this point, I'm sure I'll get flack for it. I'm happy about the SSD, RT, etc but I like the feeling of a completely brand new experience at the start of a generation.

- Elite controller 2 is still by far the best controller on the market
- Microsoft updates their UI every few months. Don't need a new console gen to justify that.
- They will be upgraded experiences in year 1 just like every gen. Better visuals, better frame rates and faster load times is a bigger overall jump than we got in 2013.

Mister chief

May 8, 2020
Xbox july event details
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II story trailer.
- Forza Motorsport 8 announcement trailer. Series X console exclusive. Native 4K, 120 FPS, ray tracing included.
- Fable reboot announcement trailer. Photo-realistic graphic, 4K 60 FPS, very big world to discover. Also it will not have any loadings on Series X. Coming Fall 2021.
- Halo Infinite story trailer + multiplayer gameplay.
- The Outer worlds DLC trailer.
- Grounded release trailer.
- Wasteland 3 release trailer.
- Gears tactics (Xbox one) release date announcement + trailer.
- Compulsion games: Contrast 2 announcement trailer. Noir puzzle-based horror game. It's going to show SSD power in gameplay. Coming in 2022.
- Perfect Dark reboot announcement teaser (Looks like Splinter Cell, hmm).
- Double Fine: Iron Brigade 2 announcement. Live service PvP game.
- Minecraft Dungeons Jungle Awakens release trailer + new DLC announcement.
- Everwild gameplay trailer.
- Battletoads trailer. It will look much different than in previous trailers. Probably it has 2 graphic options - cartoon style and original like.
- Tell Me Why story trailer.
- The Medium gameplay.
- First party games on from Xbox One on Series X: Sea of Thieves, Gears 5, Minecraft, The Outer Worlds, MS Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 4.
- Backward compatibility trailer. It will show how old games can look like on Series X.
- The Astronauts - new member of Xbox Game Studios from Poland. Witchfire 4K trailer. Crossgen game.
- New Japanese studio formed. Lost odyssey remake announcement.
- Crossfire X story CGI trailer.
- Control on Series X gameplay.
- Crysis Remastered Series X gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.