• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So this is what we know about the launch so far....

Halo Infinite
The Medium
The Ascent

(the last two are game pass as well, right?)

My guess is Battletoads might be a launch title as well.

But what do we think could be releasing early, mid and late 2021? Any guesses? It's absolutely possible that the yet to be announced third party exclusives might be some of those, but we don't know yet.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I've been curious what has been going on with Battletoads. I am looking forward to it (love beat em ups) but it has gone dark for a while.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I still don't think that Sony having an impressive event, lineup of software, or features impacts my ability to enjoy my Xbox in any way. If anything, it'll just push Microsoft to improve its offerings which is to the benefit of all gamers, period. If they have a great show this week, that's awesome and it's not going to be "hard" for me as a primary Xbox player. To be fair, I play stuff on every platform out there but still, I don't and will never understand this overzealous, console warring, fanboy attitude.

this!

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Someone here earlier today posted they maybe it would be nice if they show existing Xbox One games via BC. Show what the BC team has been working on. It's clearly something they are very proud of, as they should, show it off!
They showed Gears Ultimate running in enhanced back compat mode already in the Eurogamer video, but I agree. They should show video of what the frame rate increases mean, some of the games that are going to be enhanced at launch, etc.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Did you watch the Unreal Engine 5 demo? The XSX is 20% more powerful than the machine that demo was running on. And Ninja Theory have more than proven themselves with Hellblade 1 on an indie budget.

Obviously things often change before launch, but I wouldn't count on some big visual downgrade for Hellblade 2.

Oh I've seen it and I believe it "could" look like that (when development moves to UE5, at least): the leap in graphics will be massive.

It's just that Hellblade 2 is being brought up all the time as an example of what next gen looks like, but so far not even the developers themselves wanted to commit to saying it was realtime or a faithful representation of what the game looks like, unless I missed it.
Technically, it wouldn't even be a downgrade, because no one tried to pass it as "gameplay".

The games shown in May told a very different story. I know, I know, small cross gen games and all that, but until I see a proper showcase, I'll keep thinking of H2 reveal as an offline rendered cinematic using the best available LODs of the game's assets.

Hopefully MS (and Sony) will show games comparable to that soon.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

EA Sports and some others have put out some statements as well.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

OK, that's quite clear then. Forbes dude will eat crow :)

So come Holiday we'll see Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series (?) in the stores?

Probably too early to say then, but wouldn't it have been a better idea for MS to just abandon Xbox One as a whole and get into next gen with solely the last two? Introduce the Xbox Series (?) as a very affordable system, while XSX is the much pricier but also much, much beefier one.

I mean the whole games library that we have now will move over to the Series, game pass too. So all the casual gamers out there only need to buy the cheaper one and they are ready to go. I truly wonder how many customers would really be "left behind" if they did abandon Xbox One. It's been seven years of Xbox One, it's good enough.

It certainly is a very unusual approach by MS, all this. Time will tell if it was a wise one.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Halo Infinite
The Medium
The Ascent

But what do we think could be releasing early, mid and late 2021? Any guesses? It's absolutely possible that the yet to be announced third party exclusives might be some of those, but we don't know yet.

We'll probably see Gears Tactics and Psychonauts 2 in the launch lineup or within 1-2 months from launch. Maybe Flight Sim as well if development is going smoothly on the console version - if not I expect it early 2021.

Call of the Sea will probably also come out around launch. And Ascent isn't on Game Pass, but Scorn, Call of the Sea, and the Medium will be on Game Pass.

Call of the Sea looks fun tho. Kinda gives me Firewatch vibes (RIP In the Valley of the Gods)

Oct 27, 2017
The World

So come Holiday we'll see Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series (?) in the stores?

Probably too early to say then, but wouldn't it have been a better idea for MS to just abandon Xbox One as a whole and get into next gen with solely the last two? Introduce the Xbox Series (?) as a very affordable system, while XSX is the much pricier but also much, much beefier one.

I mean the whole games library that we have now will move over to the Series, game pass too. So all the casual gamers out there only need to buy the cheaper one and they are ready to go. I truly wonder how many customers would really be "left behind" if they did abandon Xbox One. It's been seven years of Xbox One, it's good enough.

It certainly is a very unusual approach by MS, all this. Time will tell if it was a wise one.

Tech demo is not a game, so comparing the UE5 tech demo to HB2 makes zero sense anyway. HB2 trailer was in-game engine so like a tech demo, same as the Slipspace engine reveal.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
We'll probably see Gears Tactics and Psychonauts 2 in the launch lineup or within 1-2 months from launch. Maybe Flight Sim as well if development is going smoothly on the console version - if not I expect it early 2021.

Call of the Sea will probably also come out around launch. And Ascent isn't on Game Pass, but Scorn, Call of the Sea, and the Medium will be on Game Pass.

Call of the Sea looks fun tho. Kinda gives me Firewatch vibes (RIP In the Valley of the Gods)

It's not an exclusive, but yes Psychonauts 2. Looks great, hopefully comes this year, I'd love that. Why isn't The Ascent on GP? I am guessing here but it isn't MS publishing it but Call of the Sea, Medium and Scorn are?

Also, Chorus was that space game right? Wonder when that releases too. Oh and In the valley of the Gods? I remember that, was it from those devs? Has that been canned?

Mighty Twig

May 13, 2020
I was a huge Sega fan from the Genesis through the Dreamcast. Buyout or no buyout I still love Sega and a lot of their IPs. I would love to see a Streets of Rage 4 style revival of Golden Axe, a new Outrun, a new House of the Dead, and even a new Eternal Champions.
House of the Dead?? How did I miss that? YES PLEASE!! House of the Dead 3 was one of the games I got for the original xbox when I was like 12.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Halo Infinite
The Medium
The Ascent

I think Psychonauts 2 is going to be a launch title also.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019

I feel like they will simply discontinue the Xbox One line. Series S will just take over the One S position, and the Series X takes over the One X at similar price points.

It would also make sense why they gave the backwards compatibility blog post some room to breath on its own rather than being lumped lumped into the broader platform announcements.

Last edited:

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
I got it! Microsoft buys Sonic from Sega and he becomes the mascot to Xbox that Mario is to Nintendo.

I know, I know, I'm just having fun. 😊

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The idea of Lockhart not existing at this point is ridiculous. It's been confirmed so many times.
If it will be ever announced and not cancelled is another matter. Or even if it will be ready for this holiday

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also remember its prequel from 2005-07, even some of the actors are still the same lol.
Oh yes they are, i clearly remember the usernames of the ones chest bumping when PS4 were known. Now GPU power doesn't matter, but that isn't new, when the Xbox one X was announced, same stuff. It's all about the games now, boys.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I only have one Xbox controller so I have to resync it to my Xbox every time I use it on my PC. I want to get a new one but the XSX controller looks so much better.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I love how "telling" those recently shared concept arts are, even if its for their respective artist own portfolio. For example, the artists that work on Playground have more focus on fantasy stuff, with a feeling of "old age of myths and legends", more presence of nature. Meanwhile, The Initiative artists are more focused on contemporany age or even futuristic, tech stuff and etc.

Oh I've seen it and I believe it "could" look like that (when development moves to UE5, at least): the leap in graphics will be massive.

It's just that Hellblade 2 is being brought up all the time as an example of what next gen looks like, but so far not even the developers themselves wanted to commit to saying it was realtime or a faithful representation of what the game looks like, unless I missed it.

Eehhh, even though things surely could change, i remember that Tameen (the director and studio head) said on an Instagram post that both Project Mara and Hellblade 2 were real time in engine.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Guys what do you think could be the biggest surprise for the July event? Do we think Fable or Perfect Dark? Or Xbox publishing games? Or something else entirely?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They wouldn't show something and label it as in-engine (especially paired with the announcement of a next-gen platform) if it wasn't meant as a visual target. Visuals are always subject to change, but I think the level of fidelity in models, lighting, and especially animation are going to be pretty close in the final game.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I feel like they will simply discontinue the Xbox One line. Series S will just take over the One S position, and the Series X takes over the One X at similar price points.

It would also make sense why they gave the backwards compatibility blog post some room to breath on its own rather than being lumped lumped into the broader platform announcements.

But that's the thing, Xbox One will stick around for at least a year or two. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Matt Booty said something closely along these lines:

That if you invest in Xbox now it will be worth it, I always assumed he meant if someone were to buy a Xbox One (after next gen has started) we got you covered for at least one more year or two. Perhaps he meant they will continue supporting existing Xbox One owners for a year or two. Maybe someone can clear this up.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

One X will absolutely be gone from shelves. One S might or might not, I could see it getting a $100 price cut to MSRP and sticking around for a bit.

$500 - Series X
$300 - Lockhart
($200 - One S, maybe)

But that's the thing, Xbox One will stick around for at least a year or two. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Matt Booty said something closely along these lines:

That if you invest in Xbox now it will be worth it, I always assumed he meant if someone were to buy a Xbox One (after next gen has started) we got you covered for at least one more year or two. Perhaps he meant they will continue supporting existing Xbox One owners for a year or two. Maybe someone can clear this up.

If you reread the quote,, he says something like "all our games will play up and down devices for the next one to two years." In other words:

- Xbox One owner? We still have new games coming for you.
- Xbox one owner planning to upgrade? You can buy games before you buy the new system, and they'll play as intended when you do upgrade.

I don't think it had anything to do with keeping the Xbox One on shelves. It's trying to encourage people to keep buying into the ecosystem even though they know a new system is coming.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Guys what do you think could be the biggest surprise for the July event? Do we think Fable or Perfect Dark? Or Xbox publishing games? Or something else entirely?
If anything related to Sega (whether that be a partnership or acquisition, etc.) is announced, that would be the biggest surprise. I think many of us expect Fable and Perfect Dark, so in terms of new game announcements, something from the publishing team probably has the most potential to surprise.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

I mean, for us a surprise would probably be Obsidian's new IP or a game by the publishing team. These are unknown entities that could be anything. Other smaller-scale unknown entities could be Compulsion or Double Fine's new games, but I only expect the latter to be revealed this year.

I don't see Fable as being a surprise since it's been talked about for years, and while Perfect Dark may fit better since it's less rumoured, I don't even see it being announced right now (maybe at X0 or at the Game Awards if the "2020" comment from Matt Booty still stands).

Searsy82

May 13, 2019

That is in regards to the software titles still being Xbox One compatible though, right? If someone bought that system late in the game, they will still have titles to play. Hence why the game cases say both Series X and Xbox One on them. The system doesn't still have to be available at retail for that to be true. The Series S/X packaging can just emphasize that it supports Xbox One games. Particularly if it is replacing the One series at similar price points.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
tenor.gif

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
One X will absolutely be gone from shelves. One S might or might not, I could see it getting a $100 price cut to MSRP and sticking around for a bit.

$500 - Series X
$300 - Lockhart
($200 - One S, maybe)

If you reread the quote,, he says something like "all our games will play up and down devices for the next one to two years." In other words:

- Xbox One owner? We still have new games coming for you.
- Xbox one owner planning to upgrade? You can buy games before you buy the new system, and they'll play as intended when you do upgrade.

I don't think it had anything to do with keeping the Xbox One on shelves. It's trying to encourage people to keep buying into the ecosystem even though they know a new system is coming.
That is in regards to the software titles still being Xbox One compatible though, right? If someone bought that system late in the game, they will still have titles to play. Hence why the game cases say both Series X and Xbox One on them. The system doesn't still have to be available at retail for that to be true. The Series S/X packaging can just emphasize that it supports Xbox One games. Particularly if it is replacing the One series at similar price points.

Yes, that actually makes more sense, not sure why I didn't think of that. So it's actually quite likely starting from 2021 not many stores will have Xbox One consoles any longer.

I just can't help but wonder if MS shouldn't just have followed Sony in this. I bet many of their install base would upgrade to XSS, especially if it's affordable and the hardcore crowd gets the XSX, and then all the talk about current gen systems holding back (I know, I know) would vanish. Because again, it's been seven years, a long ass time and enough time for people to consider making the upgrade to the new systems. Have Halo Infinite as the last big actual Xbox One game etc and then go straight to XSX/XSS only, like The Medium for example.

And to come back to current gen holding things back, I can't help but be a little bothered by it. I know, some people have explained why it doesn't have to be a bad thing, how scaling will be the answer. However, what a poster here yesterday and today said about Dragon Age worries me a little. That because of current gen limitations they couldn't have more people in the game world etc.

Whenever this is brought in a positive light it gets countered by "but A.I. and physics can't be scaled" and I just wonder, how true is that? Take Fable for example, is that being made with still taking into account that it can run decently on Xbox One systems? Or is it fully targeting XSX, all its capabilities and likely won't play all that great on Xbox One (or can they scale it all down for Xbox One while it still takes full advantage of XSX?) it's just something I wonder about.

But meh, fuck it. If Fable looks amazing once we see gameplay I'm gonna forget about all this and won't matter at all. It's just a highly unusual approach.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The only right way to announce this lockhart thing is two/three days before the July event.

I think save it for August tbh.

Just have July be games. No price. No Lockhart. No date. Just the production pipeline.

Here's the biggest first and third party games you can play on Xbox Series X.

Status
Not open for further replies.