• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
MSFT added nearly 20 dev teams to XGS over the last 2 years. XGS has the most diverse stable of developers and they should be 100% in their position right now. It would take the competition many years of acquisitons and MSFT getting stagnant to lost their positioning as a publisher.
I fee like people forget how big XGS is now

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are certain users on here who are just so easily triggered, once Sony does something right , MS immediately has to counter. I don't know if they just love to panic or love the drama or maybe just enjoy spreading doom and gloom.
I think people are so used to viewing everything between Sony and MS through the lens of a console war, but now consoles are just a major battle in a much larger war being fought. LOL

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
They might have some level of interest in WB, but they're certainly not going to pay the $2b-$4b that WB is looking for. Their games division just doesn't have that kind of value, even for all the studios they'd get in the package. I suspect it's more to put themselves into a position to acquire a studios like Monolith or Rocksteady if/when they become available individually.

I didn't think WB made any sense either. Price tag wasn't worth the value.

Source on MS kicking the tires of wb

Doesn't matter how much value or cash MS has, I don't know how many times this has been debunked, that doesnt translate is to gaming value/expenditure. Like at all

Debunked by who? If there's value, Microsoft not only has the money, they're consistently looking for good value aqusitions in and out of gaming. It translates to their core divisions. Gaming was moved up the ladder to one of the core divisions. They were not moved up to the head of the table to maintain the business they have.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017

Doesn't matter how much value or cash MS has, I don't know how many times this has been debunked, that doesnt translate is to gaming value/expenditure. Like at all

You are right it doesn't correlate on a 1 to 1 ratio. But if you are chasing the 2 billion gamers and your company is wanting xcloud and gamepass on everything from mobile phones to tv's to toasters to push your content and go to where the people are. Once you have them looking at your content and services you then need to have a steady stream of content for them. Some of that can be satiated by 3rd party and indie studios. However, you need more than 15 studios to satisfy 2 billion gamers. As you can't bank on having access to any content unless you own it. As next month EA could decide to do a streaming service, or Ubisoft, or any number of developers.

Microsoft has tried to expand into a lot of fields over the past 10 years and not all of them have played out. However they have an actual chance to expand and be a market leader in gaming streaming/subscription services if they play their cards right.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
that's why you ignore. lol every post is cringe worthy and i took the bait once. got banned because of my mistake too.
when you try and think on that level .. it makes you do the jackie chan

images

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i didnt know this:

4k with RAYTRACING. i've heard that this won't be possible on these machines.

Q: Why did your development team choose to focus on 4K resolution and DirectX Raytracing as enhancement areas for The Medium?

A: These are the features that fits our game and its genre the best. The 4K resolution helps us showcase the art style and environment of the real and the spirit world, while Ray-tracing will add to the atmosphere of the game. In other words, these features make the game's strengths shine even brighter.

Dayummmmmmm! I wonder how performance will be. solid 30 i hope

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are right it doesn't correlate on a 1 to 1 ratio. But if you are chasing the 2 billion gamers and your company is wanting xcloud and gamepass on everything from mobile phones to tv's to toasters to push your content and go to where the people are. Once you have them looking at your content and services you then need to have a steady stream of content for them. Some of that can be satiated by 3rd party and indie studios. However, you need more than 15 studios to satisfy 2 billion gamers. As you can't bank on having access to any content unless you own it. As next month EA could decide to do a streaming service, or Ubisoft, or any number of developers.

Microsoft has tried to expand into a lot of fields over the past 10 years and not all of them have played out. However they have an actual chance to expand and be a market leader in gaming streaming/subscription services if they play their cards right.

Bingo.

And you need the BIG ones. They have some, but they need more.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So it's the 23rd. Awesome. Sounds like that is going to be a great week.
I actually would go one step further and say I expect this to be one of the best weeks since the Xbox brand existence in terms of first-party game announcements potential.

The same person you quoted for your argument ;)

Ugh

They are kicking the tires.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I actually would go one step further and say I expect this to be one of the best weeks since the Xbox brand existence in terms of news potential.

The same guy you quoted for your argument ;)
Interesting. Missed this!

Also, funny that all these years we're talking about MS getting CA and it might end up being Sony

Oct 27, 2017
I fee like people forget how big XGS is now
Trillion dollar companies don't rest on their laurels.

Especially in a market as competitive as this. The strides Microsoft has made in expanding and bostering its first party is incredible but I don't doubt for a second they're not actively looking to acquire more talent that will further strengthen their identity as a service provider via Gamepass.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
i didnt know this:

4k with RAYTRACING. i've heard that this won't be possible on these machines.

Q: Why did your development team choose to focus on 4K resolution and DirectX Raytracing as enhancement areas for The Medium?

A: These are the features that fits our game and its genre the best. The 4K resolution helps us showcase the art style and environment of the real and the spirit world, while Ray-tracing will add to the atmosphere of the game. In other words, these features make the game's strengths shine even brighter.

Dayummmmmmm! I wonder how performance will be. solid 30 i hope

its more than possible, xsx will showcase many different version of RT im sure at 4K

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Interesting. Missed this!

Also, funny that all these years we're talking about MS getting CA and it might end up being Sony
I'd call that a missed opportunity.

That said, all this seems to be very early still. The first publisher to do a bigger acquisition like that will start a snowball effect across the industry. MS will likely react to that, make another move and so on and so forth. The studios Leyou has do make sense for Sony as they need to bolster their multiplayer output.

The content war has barely begun. It seems like it's only a matter of time until a bigger fish gets eaten.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I actually would go one step further and say I expect this to be one of the best weeks since the Xbox brand existence in terms of first-party game announcements potential.

The same person you quoted for your argument ;)
This event is MS showing the results of all those studio acquisitions. Gonna be huge.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
MS as a whole had interest in Minecraft, wasn't really soley for the gaming division.
No they didn't, it was solely a gaming division push. Nadella has talked about it publicly and in his book, the push came from Phil. Phil actually wanted to buy Minecraft/Mojang earlier, but the previous Xbox leadership said no. Phil convinced Nadella it was a good idea, after Phil took over the gaming division he told Nadella if they are actually going to stay in the gaming business they can't do it half heatedly.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
No they didn't, it was solely a gaming division push. Nadella has talked about it publicly and in his book, the push came from Phil. Phil actually wanted to buy Minecraft/Mojang earlier, but the previous Xbox leadership said no. Phil convinced Nadella it was a good idea, after Phil took over he told Nadella if they are actually going to say in the gaming business they can't do it half heatedly.

his book too, wow! great to see top of the tree support :)

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018

I mean I hope so, I really do! But I've been burnt so many times before by over hyping Xbox events, I'm going to keep my expectations in check.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I am sure that 343i/xbox will partner with streamers for Halo infinite to stream the first images of Halo infinite MP Beta just after the xbox event. Like Apex/HyperScape.

It can be close to a million views easily on twitch.

Imagine a streamer watching a great xbox event with Halo infinite making a big impression and right after that he streams the MP and all the other big media too.

OFC make beta available on XBOX one.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Geez, how hyped do you want people to get lol?
When you actually think about it, it's not that much of a surprise with their biggest first-party structure in Xbox history. I'm still always in dispute why so many people are surprised that having 15 studios will result in more games than they ever created before. I guess people need to see actual games and not just studio logos to actually realize their output potential.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
It's best for Microsoft if players aren't hyped before the event and surprised by it.
It's the definitive make or break moment for Xbox

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
When you actually think about it, it's not that much of a surprise with their biggest first-party structure in Xbox history. I'm still always in dispute why so many people are surprised that having 15 studios will result in more games than they ever created before. I guess people need to see actual games and not just studio logos to actually realize their output potential.
I definitely think a lot of people are going to be shocked by MS's output next-gen, there's still a lot of "Halo, Gears, Forza" on here.

I'm trying to keep my hype in check for this show.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
its more than possible, xsx will showcase many different version of RT im sure at 4K
i agree. ;) ill even add that well see even more amazing things a few years from now. I just didnt know it was confirmed from the developer. :P

It's best for Microsoft if players aren't hyped before the event and surprised by it.
It's the definitive make or break moment for Xbox

So people are not allowed to have their own emotions? k

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This showcase will make or break if I am getting Xbox next to PS5, so I hope they will deliver. Don't hold back.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
This showcase will make or break if I am getting Xbox next to PS5, so I hope they will deliver. Don't hold back.

Same here friend. I have a One X and absolutely love it, but so far I haven't been convinced to buy the Series X or the S.

Not gonna lie, I'd probably just opt for streaming their exclusives via XCloud if that ends up being a viable option.

Oct 27, 2017
No they didn't, it was solely a gaming division push. Nadella has talked about it publicly and in his book, the push came from Phil. Phil actually wanted to buy Minecraft/Mojang earlier, but the previous Xbox leadership said no. Phil convinced Nadella it was a good idea, after Phil took over the gaming division he told Nadella if they are actually going to stay in the gaming business they can't do it half heatedly.
And it resulted in Phil getting a VP, and the division getting more money and a bigger push.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

Please can some insiders tell us that this show is going to be a disappointment? Because I'm afraid you're getting me too hyped haha!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
We also need to remember that we have been told multiple times that Xbox is way more "money-safe" than most other publishers/companies. There isn't an unlimited budged and if there are budgets they are taken very seriously at Microsoft. Multiple Xbox studios have talked about that.

When we start talking about buying publishers we have to think of not only the initial cost but all the salaries that have to be payed off. Also layoffs, which always happen in this situations (publishers have a lot of redundant staff when they get bought). I really don't see Microsoft buying a big publisher in the near future, I would expect they would want proof that their recent investments will payoff and then increase in size again.

I do hope they buy more studios in Europe like Asobo though.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
We also need to remember that we have been told multiple times that Xbox is way more "money-safe" than most other publishers/companies. There isn't an unlimited budged and if there are budgets they are taken very seriously at Microsoft. Multiple Xbox studios have talked about that.

When we start talking about buying publishers we have to think of not only the initial cost but all the salaries that have to be payed off. Also layoffs, which always happen in this situations (publishers have a lot of redundant staff when they get bought). I really don't see Microsoft buying a big publisher in the near future, I would expect they would want proof that their recent investments will payoff and then increase in size again.

I do hope they buy more studios in Europe like Asobo though.
True. They don't want a repeat of LocoCycle.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I'd call that a missed opportunity.

That said, all this seems to be very early still. The first publisher to do a bigger acquisition like that will start a snowball effect across the industry. MS will likely react to that, make another move and so on and so forth. The studios Leyou has do make sense for Sony as they need to bolster their multiplayer output.

The content war has barely begun. It seems like it's only a matter of time until a bigger fish gets eaten.
Is it me, but being public with sony trying to get them, it's a fact a way to get bigger offers from others than Sony and like this if Sony or someone else want them, they have to put more money on table.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
At this point there's only on thing that I would be afraid of:

Any Insider:
That's probably always good advice regardless of how good the show is going to be lol.

It'd be nice for once to have an insider say that and have the presentation blow peoples' expectations out of the water, rather than overhyping the show and it disappointing. But then their credibility would be questioned lol.

Last edited:

broderm

Jun 15, 2020
That's probably always good advice regardless of how good the show is going to be lol.

It'd be nice for once to have an insider say that and have the presentation blow peoples' expectations out of the water, rather than overhyping the show and it disappointing. But then their credibility would be questioned lol.

"blow peoples' expectations out of the water"
This is very subjetive. Some people would think the impossible and they would get disappointed. Some people would be surprised, some not...and so on.

But I LOVE the OVERHYPING LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.