• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, for xCloud it's handled through the client in the phone via bluetooth or USB. With DLI coming to the Series X, which will be used in xCloud eventually, the connection should be pretty solid.
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
It benefits the customers who own that console though and it fuels console wars. I say Phil should open the war chest and make some strategic moves on timed exclusivity, which in turn will fuel the co some wars on Resetera. Isn't that what we all want in the end?
No it does not benefit the customers on that platform, they would have gotten the game anyway. Where is the benefit?
It just takes something away from customers of another platform

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
If rumours are true I don't think MS have any choice but to start money hating (hope not). Still think they can maintain their position of money hats are bad, whilst paying for games day 1 for Gamepass. That Sony money hat will still cost you $60, once it's available on Xbox should be lower, or sub price.
Yea, Game Pass is the ultimate next-gen exclusive.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves daily peaks since release

19.439 - Thursday
26.919 - Friday
33.780 - Saturday
40.996 - Sunday
41.162 - Monday
46.168 - Tuesday
50.450 - Wednesday

Dec 31, 2017
No it does not benefit the customers on that platform, they would have gotten the game anyway. Where is the benefit?
They would still have gotten it anyway true, but now they are the only ones getting it, so "adding value" to their purchase, which is the whole point of times exclusives. It's all about playing it first, as a year later people have moved on to something else anyway and the game loses some of the hype and interest.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Dec 31, 2017
Sea of Thieves daily peaks since release

19.439 - Thursday
26.919 - Friday
33.780 - Saturday
40.996 - Sunday
41.162 - Monday
46.168 - Tuesday
50.450 - Wednesday
But I thought the game had no content and was a failure?

Probably my most played game this gen, hit Athena 10 a few weeks ago, and what a fun grind it has been!

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
Game Pass is back babay
news.xbox.com

Coming Soon to Xbox Game Pass for Console and PC: No Man's Sky, The Bard's Tale ARPG, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix, and More - Xbox Wire

Welcome to June – we’ve got robots, we’ve got reMix, we’ve got Resnarkled (I didn’t make that word up, they did) and other things like DLC but I couldn’t find a way to make them start with “r”. There is plenty to get to for console and PC, so let’s jump in! Coming Soon The […]
Wow, great additions this month. Looking forward to playing NMS and Grounded!

Damn. Since my One X broke I just play via XGP for PC. Sad that I will miss out on the Kingdom Heart Games...

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
I mean I always get both consoles so its never a "problem" for me, but fuck timed exclusives. That shit is so stupid and it really never benefits consumers. Not sure why anyone would want that.
Its straight up BS, but it works. I'm pretty sure it's where the "Xbox has no gameZ" idea stems from. So many of the 3rd party games that Sony secured as timed exclusives are widely considered to be full blown exclusives my a ton of people out there. So the strategy works, as they say "all is fair in love and war".

Last edited:

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
These SoT numbers are amazing and make me very happy for Rare.

But I wonder if it's just the honeymoon phase and the number will go down later. MCC on steam has about ~3-5k now.

I know SoT is a different type of game. A game that is kinda similar to Ark perhaps, which currently has 60k online players on Steam. I really hope SoT can maintain this number.

As for MCC, Halo 3 is coming soon so I guess its average number of active Steam players will go up since it's the most popular Halo game.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
There are a lot of gamers that do not want to wait a month/year for something they consider to be a must have title, or DLC. They will always get to a platform that allows them to have that content on day one.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I will get both consoles but the timed exclusivity stuff is awful. I prefer to have the bulk of my games on Xbox because their platform is more open and they have been all in on supporting digital purchases. If there is some year long exclusivity for games that traditionally are multi-platform I will just wait, and who knows, by the time it comes to my platform of choice I might just decide I'm not interested anymore after waiting that year. Hope that moneyhat cash is worth it for the devs.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
There are a lot of gamers that do not want to wait a month/year for something they consider to be a must have title, or DLC. They will always get to a platform that allows them to have that content on day one.
You didn't refute any of his claims. Customers don't benefit in any way, shape or form from a game being available on only one platform (as opposed to multiple).

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

If anything you backed up his opinion, it forces the people to buy that platform to play it earlier than they otherwise can.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
They would still have gotten it anyway true, but now they are the only ones getting it, so "adding value" to their purchase, which is the whole point of times exclusives. It's all about playing it first, as a year later people have moved on to something else anyway and the game loses some of the hype and interest.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

As others have said, that's not a benefit, or added value, unless that person is a child who finds more value in lording it over someone else than they do in the game itself.

LOL FF14 and FF7R are almost universally loved.

While I would very much push back against the idea of FF being 'trash' now (as I said earlier, along with Halo it's my favourite IP), I don't know if I'd say those two games are near universally loved - I think you could certainly make that case for XIV, but even then there are a lot of FFXI players that really don't like it (and I mean really don't like it), and there are plenty of people that don't love VIIR. I'm one of them.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Its weird that they have been so silent about halo infinite

i agree its a weird PR strategy, but look into it as something thats troubled. They told us last year they'd be silent until e3 2020 (which has become the july event due to covid).

i do think the talk on flighting has been "weird" though. its been discussed several times by 343 since last year with the tagline of it starting *soon and with plenty of time for iteration due to feedback. we even had a tweet from an employee mentioning flighting beginning in 2019. and yet, nothing. i suppose this was a casualty of covid as well?

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, that's not a benefit, or added value, unless that person is a child who finds more value in lording it over someone else than they do in the game itself.

While I would very much push back against the idea of FF being 'trash' now (as I said earlier, along with Halo it's my favourite IP), I don't know if I'd say those two games are near universally loved - I think you could certainly make that case for XIV, but even then there are a lot of FFXI players that really don't like it (and I mean really don't like it), and there are plenty of people that don't love VIIR. I'm one of them.
That's why I wrote "almost". The vast majority of players really like those games, obviously there are chunks of outliers.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
i agree its a weird PR strategy, but look into it as something thats troubled. They told us last year they'd be silent until e3 2020 (which has become the july event due to covid).

i do think the talk on flighting has been "weird" though. its been discussed several times by 343 since last year with the tagline of it starting *soon and with plenty of time for iteration due to feedback. we even had a tweet from an employee mentioning flighting beginning in 2019. and yet, nothing. i suppose this was a casualty of covid as well?
It's a casualty of the fact that they're not trying to sell you the Xbox One version of the game. There's still time for them do a public flighting after the July reveal, after they've put their best foot forward and shown off the Series X version.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
I have a problem with moneyhats as they take away consumer choice, instead of creating value for the platform.
Agree to disagree. These companies want our money in their ecosystems and getting exclusives on their platform however that may be is enticing to alot of people. It's competition at the end of the day.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It's a casualty of the fact that they're not trying to sell you the Xbox One version of the game. There's still time for them do a public flighting after the July reveal, after they've put their best foot forward and shown off the Series X version.

yeah, and that makes sense, but you'd think that would have been the plan from the start. i feel like (and it absolutely could be my own inferences and interpretations // hopes and dreams) 343 teased early fighting mid to late last year and even again early this year, and only somewhat recently went full on silent mode. it sure seems like something changed, and waiting to show off xsx halo infinite first would not be that.

Aug 23, 2018
Incoming wall of text :-/

MS is much better off (as are consumers of both consoles) to invest their money in securing GamePass deals ranging from release date to 3 months after release for third party games. Phil, spend your money on increasing the value of your service and not at increasing the value of your plastic box that will exclude a large audience of fans. I don't understand the mentality of fighting this shitty archaic practice of time exclusives with doing the same thing. Wouldn't Xbox fans rather see (for an extreme example) a Persona 6 announcement of releasing day and date into GP rather than having it be exclusive to Xbox for 1 year? The game then becomes available to 10 million+ subscribers and both platform bases. It's great for the developer, great for consumers, and great for MS.

No one should be bothered with a game being available on other platforms if it's releasing day and date into a service that gives you access for "free". And these deals absolutely should be criticized, it was bullshit when MS did it for Tomb Raider, and bullshit when Sony did it with FF7R. Go pound sand with your "history with then platform" excuse, it's all bad for consumers and only benefits MS or Sony.

I think we saw a preview of how MS is going to handle any "timed exclusive" deals, as my man Rand pointed out a few pages back. MS almost went out of their way to not mention the word "exclusive" during the May event, and we slowly found out over the following days that some of the titles are only releasing on Xbox. I fully take this to mean these are timed exclusives, as MS likely provided marketing or production funds, in exchange for a time exclusivity and/or GP release. I clearly remember the blow back of Microsoft's dumb way of announcing Rise of the Tomb Raider "coming exclusively to Xbox this holiday", and then being cagey about it after journalists began hounding them. Sony did the same thing with FF7R- with much less blow back from the press naturally. But that kind of vague and deceptive language leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I much prefer how MS handled it during the May event- just say nothing about exclusivity if it's not truly a console exclusive. Don't market it that way.

They're flexing their money in a big way with a different strategy: bringing so many games day one to Game Pass, or even AAA games like Metro Exodus, DMC5, Shadow of the Tomb Raider just months after release. And recently RDR2. Expect that to ramp up further once XSX launches, with some real big guns.

This. I'd love to see a day and date third party launch into GP from a

FF is big everywhere.

MS invested their money in 1st party in a big way including Xbox Global Publishing. Rumors are to expect some big Global Publishing games coming up for XSX (likely AAA). Phil now wants exclusive games where MS owns the IP.

But then in some ways The Medium, Scorn, Ascent, Call of the Sea have some aspect of moneyhats, might be smaller games but they became exclusive to Xbox while being published by a 3rd party. I don't think we will see MS moneyhat AAA exclusives though yea, but we are getting 3-4 MS first party games per year so one has to look at that aspect too.

Yes they are- I'm guessing most or all of those titles will eventually launch on PS5. But MS made much less of a spectacle of them being "exclusives" which I think is the right move.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
That's why I wrote "almost". The vast majority of players really like those games, obviously there are chunks of outliers.

I'll concede the point for XIV (hell, I adore the game myself), but I dunno, I feel like VIIR has been a bit more mixed. Maybe that's being coloured by own point of view (I think it has some major problems), but those in my circle seem all over the place, too - I have friends who loved every minute of it, some who are a bit mixed, and some who hated it (all FF fans for whom VII was a big part of their youth, I should add).

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'll concede the point for XIV (hell, I adore the game myself), but I dunno, I feel like VIIR has been a bit more mixed. Maybe that's being coloured by own point of view (I think it has some major problems), but those in my circle seem all over the place, too - I have friends who loved every minute of it, some who are a bit mixed, and some who hated it (all FF fans for whom VII was a big part of their youth, I should add).
My point of view on it is also probably colored by my opinion on it(I love the game). But from what i've read and watched online(which is a shit ton), and from friends opinions it's mostly love I see. But whatever the case we can both agree current FF for the most part isn't shit. And I can't wait to see XVI.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Its weird that they have been so silent about halo infinite

Hey, at least we had Rhand today saying he heard Halo Infinite looks amazing. :)

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios |OT IX| Brought to you by Aaron Greenberg

Remember 349 is the launch price after few months it will sell for 300 which is very good price for a 1080p next gen system

A while ago we also heard from Game Informer, forgot his name, that Halo will melt our eyes or something along those lines. And a 343 dev very recently said they had planned to own the E3 show until that horrible virus showed its ugly face.

I cannot wait.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
A big game on Game Pass is gonna do more for the Xbox Series X than a timed exclusive AA game.
- Doom Eternal
- Control
- Sekiro
- Resident Evil 2 Remake
Control would be perfect as a gamepass launch game on the XSX with that ray tracing goodness. What an amazing get that would be. Here's hoping!

Yeah. Maybe they should've saved that for launch. Now there's a chance Sony has RDR2 on launch for PS Now.

With 10 million Game Pass subscribers, you want to show people why it's worth the money to invest in the ecosystem. Having a Series X enhanced blockbuster third party game on your service the day of launch makes more impact than The Ascent.
So glad they didn't save RDR2, I am enjoying it now very much on my X1X and it runs really well. I think it was the right call if Gamepass can get Control for the XSX launch.

Mighty Twig

May 13, 2020
I haven't seen anyone complaining about the deals surrounding games like Ashen, Below, Tunic, The Medium, Scorn, etc.
But people got super mad when they thought Crash Team Racing would be a timed exclusive for Sony.
I don't really like to draw lines to differentiate things that are the same in principle but if I was going to, THIS is the line I'd draw.

Paying money up front to support Indie devs is not like paying money up front to support Activision or Capcom or SquareEnix.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018

I very much doubt Corona had anything to do with the flighting plans. I would have expected flighting to have started quite a while ago based on Brian's and Bonnie Ross' early statements about developing alongside the community.

To me, I think development had some pretty rocky moments as per some of the rumours and that derailed their original plans.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I very much doubt Corona had anything to do with the flighting plans. I would have expected flighting to have started quite a while ago based on Brian's and Bonnie Ross' early statements about developing alongside the community.

To me, I think development had some pretty rocky moments as per some of the rumours and that derailed their original plans.
It's safe to assume Corona disrupted their flighting plans here. It likely has the least priority -- as it should be.

Also -- and I know my opinion on this might be controversial -- but player feedback on the Halo 5 Beta did not result in Halo 5 being a better final multiplayer experience. I would even go one step further and say some of the feedback was outright stupid and resulted in the game having areas that were worse / not connected to the devs original vision as before.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It's safe to assume Corona disrupted their flighting plans here. It likely has the least priority -- as it should be.

Also -- and I know my opinion on this might be controversial -- but player feedback on the Halo 5 Beta did not result in Halo 5 being a better final multiplayer experience. I would even go one step further and say some of the feedback was outright stupid and resulted in the game having areas that were worse / not connected to the devs original vision than before.

which feedback/changes?

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
You

Also -- and I know my opinion on this might be controversial -- but player feedback on the Halo 5 Beta did not result in Halo 5 being a better final multiplayer experience. I would even go one step further and say some of the feedback was outright stupid and resulted in the game having areas that were worse / not connected to the devs original vision than before.
Do you have any examples of changes you disagreed with?

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018

You're right it probably had some impact but I still think the decision to ditch flighting was made before Corona. I just can't see how "I believe the way we achieve that is to build alongside our community, iterating and improving as we go." works when that community feedback is left to the last 6 months of development.

Each to their own about the usefulness of community feedback.

I just hope the final product is good! July is so far away.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
which feedback/changes?
You

www.halowaypoint.com

Halo 5: Guardians - How Fans Helped Shape the Multiplayer of Halo 5: Guardians

Late last year, we gave you a first look at the future of Halo multiplayer with the release of the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta. This was a huge endeavor for everyone on the Halo 5: Guardians team and one that we approached with nervous excitement. After all, this was the earliest that we...

Medals had a better presentation. I liked the way Spartans interacted after a game (now they just stand there and it feels useless), weapon placement felt better, the presentation of ranks in the UI was better, ... Obviously feedback is always a good thing to have and Josh clearly appreciated it back then. It's just that feedback can be tricky when coming from a community as diverse as Halo.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.halowaypoint.com

Halo 5: Guardians - How Fans Helped Shape the Multiplayer of Halo 5: Guardians

Late last year, we gave you a first look at the future of Halo multiplayer with the release of the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta. This was a huge endeavor for everyone on the Halo 5: Guardians team and one that we approached with nervous excitement. After all, this was the earliest that we...

Medals had a better presentation. I liked the way Spartans interacted after a game (now they just stand there and it feels useless), weapon placement felt better, the presentation of ranks in the UI was better, ... Obviously feedback is always a good thing to have and Josh clearly appreciated it back then. It's just that feedback can be tricky when coming from a community as diverse as Halo.
You

Oh yeah people hated the way the medals came up because it reminded them of CoD lmao. I completely forgot about that.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Regarding the whole "timed exclusives" and "money hat" thing, like others have said, I would much rather see that money go towards securing the game for Game Pass. That's something that actually benefits me.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
If Sony doubles down on timed exclusives, then Phil has my full permission to buy up as many as Sony does. I fucking hate timed exclusives, but it is what it is.

What pisses me off is that Sony buys up games that don't need the help. FFVII Remake, Street Fighter V, etc. Those were happening with or without them. MS at least helps keep Bloober Team and other AAs afloat.

That said, it could be argued buying up Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory, etc. is a moneyhat, but at least they were saved from living paycheck to paycheck and the ones that weren't were the ones that were MS second party anyways.

Also, anyone who tries to defend Sony moneyhatting exclusives as "due to brand legacy" better be ready and willing to let MS moneyhat some of Mass Effect, the KoTOR remake, The Elder Scrolls 6, Dead Rising 5, Bioshock 4, Ninja Gaiden 4, Lost Planet 4 Dino Crisis reboot, Jet Set Radio and Dead or Alive 7. Because if series like Final Fantasy (which started on a Nintendo console), and Tomb Raider (which started on a SEGA console) are "PS legacy IP" that must be protected for PS, then these are Xbox IP as they were all exclusive/timed exclusive in the past.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
www.gamerevolution.com

100+ PS5 games and Xbox Series X games secretly listed on Amazon - Report

More than 100 PS5 games and Xbox Series X games have been reportedly listed on Amazon's backend — and we may get to see some of these games revealed tomorrow.

"On Amazon.co.uk there are 118 dummy listings for PS5 & 132 for XSX [including] consoles, (unnamed) games & accessories," states a comment on Reddit. "Also about 170 dummy listings for current-gen games."

Don't expect suddenly 100+ XSX games show up for pre-order tomorrow anyway.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony doubles down on timed exclusives, then Phil has my full permission to buy up as many as Sony does. I fucking hate timed exclusives, but it is what it is.

What pisses me off is that Sony buys up games that don't need the help. FFVII Remake, Street Fighter V, etc. Those were happening with or without them. MS at least helps keep Bloober Team and other AAs afloat.

That said, it could be argued buying up Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory, etc. is a moneyhat, but at least they were saved from living paycheck to paycheck and the ones that weren't were the ones that were MS second party anyways.

Also, anyone who tries to defend Sony moneyhatting exclusives as "due to brand legacy" better be ready and willing to let MS moneyhat some of Mass Effect, the KoTOR remake, The Elder Scrolls 6, Dead Rising 5, Bioshock 4, Ninja Gaiden 4, Lost Planet 4 Dino Crisis reboot, Jet Set Radio and Dead or Alive 7. Because if series like Final Fantasy (which started on a Nintendo console), and Tomb Raider (which started on a SEGA console) are "PS legacy IP" that must be protected for PS, then these are Xbox IP as they were all exclusive/timed exclusive in the past.
Sony helped develop SFV. Agree with you on FF7R though.

Status
Not open for further replies.