• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It's a shame what's gonna happen with crackdown 3 critically, because the game feels and plays (at least wrecking zone) good. It wasn't that easy to make an entertaining mp that doesn't feel exactly like every mp in the market. Hoping the campaign will feel as arcadeish and fresh than the wrecking zone.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame what's gonna happen with crackdown 3 critically, because the game feels and plays (at least wrecking zone) good. It wasn't that easy to make an entertaining mp that doesn't feel exactly like every mp in the market. Hoping the campaign will feel as arcadeish and fresh than the wrecking zone.
I wouldn't worry, Game Pass is unique in that it removes the payment barrier that prevents people from experiencing it. It's going to do fine.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If MS retains the rights to The Outer Worlds, that's an automatic new pillar IP.

Speaking of pillars.

I think an open world Pillars of Eternity game could be even better, and Sawyer has talked about how that's something the Eternity team really would love to do.

With TOW and PoE, MS would basically have its first party Fallout and Elder Scrolls equivalents.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If MS retains the rights to The Outer Worlds, that's an automatic new pillar IP.

Speaking of pillars.

I think an open world Pillars of Eternity game could be even better, and Sawyer has talked about how that's something the Eternity team really would love to do.

With TOW and PoE, MS would basically have its first party Fallout and Elder Scrolls equivalents.
Open world Pillars sounds fantastic. It would be Obsidians' equivalent of Dragon Age.

Xbox would have RPGs in practically every major genre, or close enough. This doesn't even count what InXile will be doing for their new.project.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The combat is better than I expected it to be. Really bodes well for the game. Being an Obsidian game we know it'll have great RPG mechanics and writing as well. This project is really coming together.

3D RPG Obsidian is back, and it feels good. Cant wait to see what they come up with next-gen.

agree, also like the bit were the guy got shot in the leg, went down then got up and started limping towards the attacker :)

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I mean, sure, but the multiplayer is launching with three maps and two game modes with no information about progression or unlockables (which I think we can safely assume is non-existent). We also haven't gotten any concrete information about post-launch support of any kind. Plus, the game is launching without the ability to play with your friends in competitive multiplayer.

You can deflect all you want, but Microsoft will probably deserve the poor reviews the game is likely to get. It doesn't matter if you build the most fantastic castle in the world if you build it on a foundation made of sand. There's not a massive media conspiracy against Microsoft. This game is launching without a lot of core features that many in the industry view as "standard" and the reviews will reflect that fact.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Open world Pillars sounds fantastic. It would be Obsidians' equivalent of Dragon Age.

Xbox would have RPGs in practically every major genre, or close enough. This doesn't even count what InXile will be doing for their new.project.

Pillars of Eternity such a damn good IP. It's my favourite of this gen. Honestly, the world is endlessly fascinating the way they've set it up.

I can quite easily imagine an open world Pillars of Eternity game having a multiplayer mode similar to the cancelled Stormlands game, pairing up a significant number of Watchers together to hunt down derelict gods and vanquish vengeful spirits and the like. It could be so fucking cool.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I mean, sure, but the multiplayer is launching with three maps and two game modes with no information about progression or unlockables (which I think we can safely assume is non-existent). We also haven't gotten any concrete information about post-launch support of any kind. Plus, the game is launching without the ability to play with your friends in competitive multiplayer.

You can deflect all you want, but Microsoft will probably deserve the poor reviews the game is likely to get. It doesn't matter if you build the most fantastic castle in the world if you build it on a foundation made of sand. There's not a massive media conspiracy against Microsoft. This game is launching without a lot of core features that many in the industry view as "standard" and the reviews will reflect that fact.
Honestly, if parties would be there day one, I wouldn't care at all for unlockables or "progression". Sometimes I think there are too many things surrounding the mp modes nowadays.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Speaking of pillars.

MS owns the IP. Private Division might have some publishing arrangement for the next game, but MS should be able to get in front of that (they hold almost all the cards).

Pillars of Eternity could be an interesting core franchise as well. It's high fantasy, but has enough weird stuff to set it apart. Personally, I'd rather their big team work on something akin to Alpha Protocol. We'll see what that team is up to in a couple years, hah.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS owns the IP. Private Division might have some publishing arrangement for the next game, but MS should be able to get in front of that (they hold almost all the cards).

Pillars of Eternity could be an interesting core franchise as well. It's high fantasy, but has enough weird stuff to set it apart. Personally, I'd rather their big team work on something akin to Alpha Protocol. We'll see what that team is up to in a couple years, hah.

Private Division more than likely has first rights of refusal. MS will have to pay them to step away, which I think they'll manage to do.

Pillars of Eternity is the first proprietary IP in Obsidian's history. They love that IP and they'll keep working on it for years to come across all kinds of mediums. I think an open world game is very likely, though not necessarily a given.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Apex Legends a lot and I cannot help but feel that Halo's movement, Gunplay and TTK would have been the perfect recipe for BR.

I know lot of you will say, here we go, we don't need another Fortnite/PUBG BR clone but if its good and fun, why not? Halo has ALL the ingredients, they even had Warzone which could have been reworked into a BR game.

They have taken the 'Halo keeps following trends' rhetoric to heart which isn't bad advice but not good either. I know Halo Infinite will be amazing but they have 500+ people in the Studio working on 1 game? ( MCC has too few people working on it anywayz)

Jez said he knows of another Halo game in the works at 343 in his podcast with Rand. Could it be the BR game that releases this fall?

I don't think it's a BR game.

Wasn't there a rumor that infinite would have it's single player and multiplayer launch at different times.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I expect The Outer Worlds to be apart of XGP after a couple months or so like WHF. At some point it will come into the fold.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It will deserve whatever aggregate it gets.

That makes no sense. If someone thinks a game deserves a 9, and someone else thinks it deserves a 5, the fact its aggregate score is a 7 won't change minds of either person, and it also won't mean that a game deserves a 7. Stop giving pointless concepts like aggregate scores attention, they have no validity.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
That makes no sense. If someone thinks a game deserves a 9, and someone else thinks it deserves a 5, the fact its aggregate score is a 7 won't change minds of either person, and it also won't mean that a game deserves a 7. Stop giving pointless concepts like aggregate scores attention, they have no validity.
Yeah, but they do have validity. Games that score well, sell well and sell the console that they're on and services you need to run it. To say otherwise is just ignorant.

Apr 6, 2018

Speaking of pillars.

IIRC Sawyer was in Redmond with Feargus for the meeting

TeaLeaf

Oct 11, 2018
Private Division more than likely has first rights of refusal. MS will have to pay them to step away, which I think they'll manage to do.

Pillars of Eternity is the first proprietary IP in Obsidian's history. They love that IP and they'll keep working on it for years to come across all kinds of mediums. I think an open world game is very likely, though not necessarily a given.
Can someone explain to me how the whole situation would play out? With MS/Obsidian owning the IP but Private Division having a rite of refusal.

Obsidian/MS own the IP would they say to Private Division we are making this game and it will be for Xbox/PC, Want to Publish it? and if they don't want to then MS could publish it?

Or would it be more like, Obsidian say they want to make The Outer Worlds 2 and then it's down to Private Division to say we want it on Xbox, PC and PS and then MS decide if they want to go multiplat again with it or have to try and buy the publishing rights/scrap any chance of a sequel.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I expect The Outer Worlds to be apart of XGP after a couple months or so like WHF. At some point it will come into the fold.
On one hand, this makes me want to wait and play it when it comes to GP, so I can save some money. But I also want to show my support to the devs.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

Speaking of pillars.

Yeah outer worlds is not a huge huge game from what i read in the GI interview. But a sequel would definitely be. I think its almost guaranteed at this point but that's my prediction. I recommend people playing this on Xbox One or PC to get whatever follows you into the possible sequel. Not 100% sure the second game if made will be multiplat on ps4 for example.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
A November MP only Halo BR Spin-off is perfect till the next Xbox launch. BR may not be as popular end of next year though.

If Halo Infinite is 2020, then for sure we're getting something else this year.
With the rumours of Forza not having an entry this year, it would be crazy for Gears 5 to be all alone from august to december. And even with Forza, I'm sure there will be something else. Either it's a small Halo project or a game from Ninja or one of the new studios.

At least I hope MS doesn't just release CD3, Ori, Battletoads and Gears 5 this year...

Aug 26, 2018
If Halo Infinite is 2020, then for sure we're getting something else this year.
With the rumours of Forza not having an entry this year, it would be crazy for Gears 5 to be all alone from august to december. And even with Forza, I'm sure there will be something else. Either it's a small Halo project or a game from Ninja or one of the new studios.

At least I hope MS doesn't just release CD3, Ori, Battletoads and Gears 5 this year...

Its going to be the Halo Mega Bloks project, isn't it?

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Meanwhile I have been enjoying Microsoft solitaire collection on my laptop..Microsoft casual Games barely get a mention here..well they have a big fan here..😁👍

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not. But people expect MS to get rights to publishing from them but not this?
If MS can "compensate" them.

The Outer World is gonna be very successful at retail. Private Division aren't about to walk away from that when they're not going to see returns on their investments in the IP in sequels.

IIRC Sawyer was in Redmond with Feargus for the meeting

Sawyer is the design director at Obsidian, he's basically their chief creative so I wouldn't assume the visit is a direct indication of anything to do with Pillars of Eternity, but I damn sure hope Obsidian stick with it.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A November MP only Halo BR Spin-off is perfect till the next Xbox launch. BR may not be as popular end of next year though.

If there's another Halo Project i'd like to see something Story based in another genre. Give me a Metroidvaina talking place on a shield world like Onyx or Requiem, or a game about the Headhunters or a leemings game with Spartan-IIIs.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
Meanwhile I have been enjoying Microsoft solitaire collection on my laptop..Microsoft casual Games barely get a mention here..well they have a big fan here..😁👍
They're not counted as one of the 13 Xbox Game Studios for some reason, despire the XGS page mentioning Solitaire as one of their biggest hits.

Aug 26, 2018
If there's another Halo Project i'd like to see something Story based in another genre. Give me a Metroidvaina talking place on a shield world like Onyx or Requiem, or a game about the Headhunters or a leemings game with Spartan-IIIs.

You just had Apex Legends, a BR game beome the new sensation of 2019. Fortnite, a BR game beome the sensation of 2018. PUBG, a BR game the sensation of 2017.

See a pattern?

There's money on the table, question is does Xbox want some?

Status
Not open for further replies.