• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
halo br will be important to appeal to younger gamers who have never even played halo before, it's an absolutely core game mode for modern shooters. doesn't mean it should be the only game mode of course. I think br as the casual multiplayer mode, and classic arena maps as the competitive mode works well as a multiplayer dynamic.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
The title is horrible. First it is something a 14 year old would say and second it looks like it wants to be like PS Now.

Apr 6, 2018
halo br will be important to appeal to younger gamers who have never even played halo before, it's an absolutely core game mode for modern shooters. doesn't mean it should be the only game mode of course. I think br as the casual multiplayer mode, and classic arena maps as the competitive mode works well as a multiplayer dynamic.
IDK, br community is not faithful like the pvp and the pve communities. Plus it's not an easy mode to do. We have yet to see how an extra br mode in a full price game impact the long term game's popularity , Blackout initial boost is already finished with Apex Legends .
I'm not sure it's a good strategy

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IDK, br community is not faithful like the pvp and the pve communities. Plus it's not an easy mode to do. We have yet to see how an extra br mode in a full price game impact the long term game's popularity , Blackout initial boost is already finished with Apex Legends .
I'm not sure it's a good strategy

The BR portion could very well be free, with extra skins and stuff you can unlock if you play the regular multiplayer in Halo Infinite.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't care less on any metacritic, twitter shitstorm, forum shitposts because I am sub'ed to Game Pass until 2020. All those games come for low money and I can try them without being disappointed to have payed for them $60.

Very relaxing thing to have ....
It's like you can enjoy games...for what it is. :)

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite battle Royale didn't help save the world. BR will be perceived as the main part of the game, not one mode among the others.

Fortnite is a whole different can of worms though. Fortnite was a new IP with decent but not groundbreaking sales. Critics had mixed reactions as the core gameplay was solid but there was tons of MTX effectively rendering the game a huge grind full of a billion different currencies, timers and whatnot that hampered the fun. It was effectively a paid game that had a F2P formula. On the other hand, Fortnite BR was F2P from the start, just a couple months after PUBG blew up and sold dozens of millions of copies in a few months. It wasn't on PC only like PUBG, but this F2P copy was on PS4 and Xbox One too for free, where PUBG didn't arrive until some time later.

On the other hand, Halo Infinite will be an Xbox One, Xbox Next and PC title. It's a very hyped soft reboot of a classic franchise that sold TONS and that a lot of people have nostalgia for. It's a bit like the God Of War reboot: not everybody played the PSP spin-offs or the stuff on PS3, but everyone has memories with the franchise, and everyone was excited to play with Kratos again. Except Halo and Master Chief are bigger in terms of notoriety. Halo Infinite will sell rather well and will have tons of players, even a lot of people who wouldn't buy it will be able to play it cheap on Game Pass and possibly on xCloud by the time it comes out. Launching a F2P BR beside it wouldn't destroy the base game, especially if they're released at different times and have their own systems in place. Black Ops 4's multiplayer is still very well populated despite the presence of a BR counterpart.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
No one really notice this ?( i wonder what was writen there ) maybe the Name of the project they work on it xD

p_1138hq76a0.jpg
They were reading this thread :(

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
A Halo Royale made too much sense. They already had the large scale battles in Halo 5, imagine having an even bigger map, teams of 4 teams à la ODST (maybe with classes to have Reach-like abilities in the mix) traversing the map finding iconic Halo weapons, using the Halo vehicles, the classic items (they are already set for health packs, shields, regens, etc.), with the fine mixture of classic Halo gameplay and modern FPS that Halo 5 nailed so well. And all of this is set on the iconic halo, so the skybox is also a sight to behold. You can have airships dropping in crates or even respawn people like Apex Legends. They could even populate the map with some hostile AI creatures to fight against to get some better loot. It would be almost too easy to make it work.

I know Microsoft said they aren't really looking at the trends in that sense, but given how even Call Of Duty or Titanfall did it, it's ironic how the two big shooter franchises that seemed more fitting for it are either coming in late (Battlefield took a surprising amount of time to get it done) or maybe never at all (Halo).

I'm not so sure Halo BR is such a sure shot.

Through all the changes Halo has seen over the years, the one constant has been the approach to the health model - and this is key to the series' signature gunplay dynamic.

When you start having armor upgrades, and health packs that can be collected and stored for later use - it would tamper with the engagement dynamic in a way that would be completely foreign to Halo. At that point, why even use the IP?

I could be down for a squad based BR, with static weapon, vehicles, and powerup spawns but with map hazards and enemy AI serving as the random elements.

Apr 6, 2018
What else other than Crackdown 3 is expected this year of exclusives?
Minecraft Dungeons
Gears 5
Gears POP
Battletoads
Ori 2
Fh4 second dlc(pg always delivered top notch expansions) may be a stand alone

Unknown (may arrive in 2019 but I bet will be brought to 2020 for launch lineup)
Gears Tactics
AoE2DE
NT first game
Cuphead dlc
Void bastards
Operancia : the stolen sun

Weird
The Outer Worlds
Wasteland 3
Are first party games by definition no?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
Well, there is a graveyard of Battle Royale games. The success of Apex Legends shows that there still some room for innovation in gameplay / business model, but at the same time it would be a huge competitor for a Halo entry.
Before reaching that conclusion (still having space in the BR genre) I'd like to know Fortnite's data on users since Apex launched.
My theory is Fortnite was so succesful because it was the first to be F2P and now a lot pf people that wanted a more "meaty" FPS game are flocking to Apex
should we skip OT 5 and just go to 6? There was that suggestion made earlier about 4 being backward compatible.
I prefer not jumping an OT, that gives the impression of we doing it just because they did it on PS' thread
And also we've already passed them even with them jumping an OT wich kind of makes me a little proud of us and also leads me to a suggestion for the next title:

XGS OT5: Because we're that engaged

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
What is this BR talk for Halo and Gears? Phil said they will not chase BR trends and they shouldn't. Let them do their own thing. There is nothing like Gears multiplayer and there is nothing like Halo out there. Focus on that and refine the experience.
As much as I love those games. Fortnite 200 million players. Apex 25 million in a week, pubg 50 million owners. That's why. As popular as halo or gears are pubg sold 5times or more the amount on Xbox+pc.

Though I would prefer an original idea that starts a new trend.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure Halo BR is such a sure shot.

Through all the changes Halo has seen over the years, the one constant has been the approach to the health model - and this is key to the series' signature gunplay dynamic.

When you start having armor upgrades, and health packs that can be collected and stored for later use - it would tamper with the engagement dynamic in a way that would be completely foreign to Halo. At that point, why even use the IP?

I could be down for a squad based BR, with static weapon, vehicles, and powerup spawns but with map hazards and enemy AI serving as the random elements.

I'm really happy they haven't gone for a Halo BR game yet. I honestly thought Halo Infinite was a BR title at first and it really deflated my excitement for the reveal until I was able to learn more after the press conference.

I much rather they try new innovative game modes that fits within Halo's core design than force a BR mode in it. They'd be better off creating a new IP for a BR game.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Before reaching that conclusion (still having space in the BR genre) I'd like to know Fortnite's data on users since Apex launched.
My theory is Fortnite was so succesful because it was the first to be F2P and now a lot pf people that wanted a more "meaty" FPS game are flocking to Apex

I prefer not jumping an OT, that gives the impression of we doing it just because they did it on PS' thread
And also we've already passed them even with them jumping an OT wich kind of makes me a little proud of us and also leads me to a suggestion for the next title:

XGS OT5: Because we're that engaged
Yeah. I agree. Lets just go with the norm. Nice OT suggestion too.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obv there's no point in skipping an OT now, but there were a few clever ones that got support last time. There's no joke this time around.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Dungeons
Gears 5
Gears POP
Battletoads
Ori 2
Fh4 second dlc(pg always delivered top notch expansions) may be a stand alone

Unknown (may arrive in 2019 but I bet will be brought to 2020 for launch lineup)
Gears Tactics
AoE2DE
NT first game
Cuphead dlc
Void bastards
Operancia : the stolen sun

Weird
The Outer Worlds
Wasteland 3
Are first party games by definition no?

Wasteland 3 and Outer Worlds are multiplatts. Im talking about games only on PC and Xbox.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that this has anything too interesting, but I will probably catch it at the livestream at https://www.twitch.tv/dice this afternoon at 2:30 PST/5:30 EST.

Innovations Shaping How We Bring Fun to Billions of Gamers
Sarah Bond
Head of Global Gaming Partnerships and Development at Xbox/Microsoft
Innovations in technology, gameplay and business are transforming the way developers create, players engage and platforms participate. Looking at examples across industry and sharing insights from Microsoft, Sarah Bond will outline the forces shaping the game industry today and how publishers and developers can thrive in this new era of play.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I would love to have those numbers too. PUBG had a noticeable dip in players on Steam the Monday and Tuesday after Apex Legends was released, but it mostly bounced back.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Very sad news for me today as I stumbled upon a tweet: There are no plans to bring Yakuza to Xbox, despite the PC version. It's not SEGA Japan's tweet but still...

I do think Yakuza would do really well on Xbox, I don't really understand it... :/

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very sad news for me today as I stumbled upon a tweet: There are no plans to bring Yakuza to Xbox, despite the PC version. It's not SEGA Japan but still...

I do think Yakuza would do really well on Xbox, I don't really understand it... :/

Companies like SEGA has tons of people doing market research. I guess they know more than customers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.