• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hallucinated by that |OT| gate, it's just a title guys.

Kinda astonished these were chosen throught Discord. It's not like we don't have any appropriate place to discuss tho.
Just FYI, the people in discord are the same people here...lol. Also, it doesn't get "chosen" by any group in discord either. It's literally whatever Kairo deems appropriate (I believe some of the suggestions sometimes were from people's suggestions here as well). I think using a poll here is the best thing to do as the title should be community driven imo.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Preach, Wasteland 3 is one of my most anticipated games this year, looks like such a step on from Wasteland 2:

wasteland-3-screenshot-04.jpg

Holy crap, I've never seen that screenshot before. Congratulations friend, you just sold me on Wasteland 3

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The instructions for how to get into the XboxEra Discord has been in the OP since OT2. If you want some input, you should join it.

Complaining about elitism in this case is like complaining about the choices for novels of the month if you never even bothered to attend the book club.

I have never seen them and a quick search didn't flag it. Can someone PM me the instructions?

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
All XGS studios are picking up Activision-Blizzard ex-employees(?)

Discord Instructions
OP
OP
Figments

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO THE XBOXERA DISCORD, PLEASE PM Shpeshal Ed, Jawmuncher, or Synth. They're the admins of the server. I myself am not an admin, no matter how many times I've begged for it. :P

EDIT: Jaw just gave me invite powers. Please direct all requests for Discord access to me and my PMs instead.

Last edited:

AshWilliams

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 22, 2018
The instructions for how to get into the XboxEra Discord has been in the OP since OT2. If you want some input, you should join it.

Complaining about elitism in this case is like complaining about the choices for novels of the month if you never even bothered to attend the book club.

I cant see any instructions on joining this discord and the only mention of the word discord on the OP is to ping you in the discord.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a premise/wish list for a potential Crackdown sequel.

"Crackdown"
  • soft reboot set in the not-so distant future
  • everything in the original trilogy happened in the past: in this world the Agency completed its mission and like to all those that wield it, their absolute power corrupted absolutely
  • Agency are the bad guys! (as we originally found out in the first game)
  • you, the protagonist, are a customisable force of serendipitous nature - whether you're good, bad, neither or in between is all up to you
  • story premise: shortly after its rise to power, the Agency devoted unprecedented funding for its super soldier program and at the height of their corruption, one of their leading scientists betrayed them, cornered and with nowhere to hide the scientist set off a reaction in their lab in New Providence that resulted in the rampant and widespread mutation and led to the birth of superpowers all across the region
  • several years later, superpower are commonplace, chaos reigns and the Agency is once again reduced to enforcing their tyrannical laws in the face of historic levels of super-powered gang warfare
  • you, the protagonist, are minding your own business when you are caught in the crossfire of conflict over a shipment of a superpower granting resource and as it would happen awaken powers shortly after, and with it the motivation to put them to good use: whether it's to take Control, restore Justice, or just to Watch the World Burn
  • each story choice follows a different progression as you are thrown in a world of lawlessness where you fight your way through superpowered mayhem and chaos in both the agency and enhanced gangs
  • game would feature new kinds of animations and gameplay additions to core Crackdown freeform mayhem experience with wall running, rail grinding, gliders and grappling hooks - each of which can be enhanced by the collection of orbs that are now more creatively placed to compensate
  • story and gameplay would draw inspiration form shows like Batman Beyond, Heroes, Flash, and games like Sunset Overdrive, Infamous Jet Set Radio, thereby giving MS a proper, bona fide first party superhero entree without the need for licensing an IP
I'd add an actual character creator.
They could do so much in terms progression for agents. Improved mobility, like you said wall running for example could easily become apart of a skill tree.
And I really the story point you made. Game could be a whole lot more with some effort in that area. I realise it hadn't released yet but I feel it does need a soft reboot.
You lost me at "story". Crackdown is about blowing shit up motherclucker. Lol

Actually I want them to use next gen CPUs to increase single player destruction and improve the sandbox. Can get orbs by bringing them down to you.
See this is why the series has never lifted off and considered a 'Pillar' IP. It needs to evolve beyond just blowing shit up.

Maybe tell a compelling story while you blow shit up.
If you PM me you need to include an essay on Dino Crisis.
Does it have to be a positive essay?
LMAO!

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
One of the most fucking corrupt, false, sony ass licking web magazine we have in Italy just started the shit load about crackdown 3:

https://www.everyeye.it/notizie/cra...ideo-confronto-con-build-del-2015-364087.html

claiming as you can see that, according to this video (btw who the hell is The Red Dragon, some kind of toxic youtuber?), the game has been massively downgraded from its original footage in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=ulmkyqFoMhU

I'm disgusted to see, again for the 31923012893120th time how much superficial journalists who probably get paid from other companies dare to comment and start the shitstorm on this game.

I really have no words. Jesus....
Rotfl

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
See this is why the series has never lifted off and considered a 'Pillar' IP. It needs to evolve beyond just blowing shit up.

Maybe tell a compelling story while you blow shit up.LMAO!

Crackdown isn't the one you marry.

Sometimes it's ok to have a little fun with mutual understandings.

Let's not make it that serious.

You had to go and ruin it with all that serious talk!

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018

Maybe tell a compelling story while you blow shit up.

LMAO!
When company mascots like Sonic or Mega Man (about as close to pillar franchises for Sega and Capcom as you can get) try having deep stories, they come off as too try-hardy and lame. Sometimes you don't need much more than running platforming, shooting robot villians, and blowing crap up for these type of games.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
I will say it's kind of odd that turtle rock and ioi seem to have funding but no announcements about being purchased. When ten cent purchases or invests they announce it immediately. We all know Microsoft would like to hold off on announcements till e3. So seems plausible au least

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Remind me how PG created a new studio.

It's like that's a hell of a risk for -'an independent dev.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
There's so many ways for studios to get funding, e.g. from a publisher, an investor (individual or company), a bank loan, doing work-for-hire/co-development... A studio hiring for new positions isn't rare - actually most medium/big sized studios hire all of the time.

A studio opening a new location, even after releasing a game that didn't set the world on fire, isn't so special either. A year ago Paul Wedgwood (former CEO of Splash Damage) told a story of how they moved to much bigger offices after Brink was released even though many employees had just quit. Quite an interesting talk about how the sausage is made from a business perspective - https://youtu.be/fbxvuQH59Pg.

IO and Turtle Rock might get acquired, but I would say that them hiring or opening new locations is hardly evidence of that.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Microsoft has actually already started to roll out the Xbox Live mobile structure for 3rd party devs. I downloaded a game called "Instant War" which was advertised on Win10 store as just being updated with Xbox Live. Sure enough, I can sign into my MS Account and transfer my progress between Win10/iOS (Android also, but I don't have that). Pretty freaking awesome for me since I can play it wherever now with my progress coming with me

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I will say it's kind of odd that turtle rock and ioi seem to have funding but no announcements about being purchased. When ten cent purchases or invests they announce it immediately. We all know Microsoft would like to hold off on announcements till e3. So seems plausible au least
I do wonder if the silence means Microsoft has cooled on acquisitions or if they're just waiting until E3. Phil did say that he thought the announcement of studio acquisitions at E3 2018 went better than anyone at Microsoft predicted.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO THE XBOXERA DISCORD, PLEASE PM Shpeshal Ed, Jawmuncher, or Synth. They're the admins of the server. I myself am not an admin, no matter how many times I've begged for it. :P

EDIT: Jaw just gave me invite powers. Please direct all requests for Discord access to me and my PMs instead.

If you haven't already, you should definitely add this info to the OP here and going forward.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I snapped a few hours ago and went on a buying binge of upcoming Xbox One games. In a matter of minutes I bought the following:

Pre-Order - Crackdown 3
Pre-Order - Metro Exodus
Pre-Order - Anthem - Legion of Dawn Edition
Pre-Order - The Division 2 - Ultimate Edition

In total it came out to about $312 or so. Since I have EA Access, Anthem was discounted. The crazy thing is that Crackdown 3, Metro and Anthem (EA Access) all come out this Friday! Not sure what I am going to play first! Crackdown has me intrigued since I loved the first 2 games, Metro is the one that I have seen less of, but it is a single player shooter. Anthem, I really liked the demo, even with the issues and such. I was going to hold off on it and use my 10 hours on EA Access on Friday to see if they resolved a lot of the issues (mainly frame rate on "X"). But I enjoyed the core mechanics enough that I know I would want to buy it so I just jumped at it.

Anyone else pre-order some or all of those games?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I snapped a few hours ago and went on a buying binge of upcoming Xbox One games. In a matter of minutes I bought the following:

Pre-Order - Crackdown 3
Pre-Order - Metro Exodus
Pre-Order - Anthem - Legion of Dawn Edition
Pre-Order - The Division 2 - Ultimate Edition

In total it came out to about $312 or so. Since I have EA Access, Anthem was discounted. The crazy thing is that Crackdown 3, Metro and Anthem (EA Access) all come out this Friday! Not sure what I am going to play first! Crackdown has me intrigued since I loved the first 2 games, Metro is the one that I have seen less of, but it is a single player shooter. Anthem, I really liked the demo, even with the issues and such. I was going to hold off on it and use my 10 hours on EA Access on Friday to see if they resolved a lot of the issues (mainly frame rate on "X"). But I enjoyed the core mechanics enough that I know I would want to buy it so I just jumped at it.

Anyone else pre-order some or all of those games?

Damn! Been awhile since I did it like that. I have Game Pass and EA Access so no need to buy Crackdown and will be giving Anthem a full chance with the 10 hour trial. Metro and Division 2 both look good but hardly ever do Day 1 purchases anymore. Not enough time for both Divison and Anthem but looking for at least 1 looter shooter to hook me. Need to play the first 2 Metros in my backlog still.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Just FYI, the people in discord are the same people here...lol. Also, it doesn't get "chosen" by any group in discord either. It's literally whatever Kairo deems appropriate (I believe some of the suggestions sometimes were from people's suggestions here as well). I think using a poll here is the best thing to do as the title should be community driven imo.

That's not what I understood, thanks for your explanation.
I agree the last part.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Damn! Been awhile since I did it like that. I have Game Pass and EA Access so no need to buy Crackdown and will be giving Anthem a full chance with the 10 hour trial. Metro and Division 2 both look good but hardly ever do Day 1 purchases anymore. Not enough time for both Divison and Anthem but looking for at least 1 looter shooter to hook me. Need to play the first 2 Metros in my backlog still.

Yeah, the crazy thing for me is that I don't have a ton of time as well, but I have a hard time passing up certain games. My back log is just insane as well. I know I could have waited on several of those titles, but yeah, I think I just snapped. Certain games like Resident Evil 2 Remake I have held off on, mainly because I don't think a remake should cost $60!!! Will wait for a discount on that one. Anthem and Division 2 seem different enough for me that I think they can co-exist.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I've got a premise/wish list for a potential Crackdown sequel.

"Crackdown"
  • soft reboot set in the not-so distant future
  • everything in the original trilogy happened in the past: in this world the Agency completed its mission and like to all those that wield it, their absolute power corrupted absolutely
  • Agency are the bad guys! (as we originally found out in the first game)
  • you, the protagonist, are a customisable force of serendipitous nature - whether you're good, bad, neither or in between is all up to you
  • story premise: shortly after its rise to power, the Agency devoted unprecedented funding for its super soldier program and at the height of their corruption, one of their leading scientists betrayed them, cornered and with nowhere to hide the scientist set off a reaction in their lab in New Providence that resulted in the rampant and widespread mutation and led to the birth of superpowers all across the region
  • several years later, superpower are commonplace, chaos reigns and the Agency is once again reduced to enforcing their tyrannical laws in the face of historic levels of super-powered gang warfare
  • you, the protagonist, are minding your own business when you are caught in the crossfire of conflict over a shipment of a superpower granting resource and as it would happen awaken powers shortly after, and with it the motivation to put them to good use: whether it's to take Control, restore Justice, or just to Watch the World Burn
  • each story choice follows a different progression as you are thrown in a world of lawlessness where you fight your way through superpowered mayhem and chaos in both the agency and enhanced gangs
  • game would feature new kinds of animations and gameplay additions to core Crackdown freeform mayhem experience with wall running, rail grinding, gliders and grappling hooks - each of which can be enhanced by the collection of orbs that are now more creatively placed to compensate
  • story and gameplay would draw inspiration form shows like Batman Beyond, Heroes, Flash, and games like Sunset Overdrive, Infamous Jet Set Radio, thereby giving MS a proper, bona fide first party superhero entree without the need for licensing an IP

I like all of this and would add that we should be able to select a powerset base from a large list of powers when we create our character that we stick with and strengthen/level up through orbs and completing side and main missions to their fullest potential, with the possibility of transferring a different mutant gene into our agent later in the game (let's say after completing the first act and finding/being introduced to a scientist capable of granting it) if we're not content or want to mix it up as we play. There should be certain drawbacks or things we're incapable of doing depending on what powerset we choose too.

The environment should be largely destructible but relative to the powerset our agent has (for instance, having a speedster running around all over the place shouldn't mean we just run through buildings unaffected as we would lack durability but they can be creative and allow us to run up and around the buildings Flash-style) and they should push for next gen visuals beyond the cel-shaded style of previous games, full of color and particle effects.

Weapons should obviously remain, but they should design the game with hand to hand combat possible from beginning to end, of course being low level at first and improved through orbs and completing missions or even meeting attack challenges, like KO'ing/killing criminals with whatever attack enough times. The same applies to projectile and energy based powers of our character.

Btw, this scenario you set up here reminds me of a comic I read once...I'm trying to remember the name of it. Also kinda reminiscent of MHA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.