• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I could not agree with this more. "Well, you can play it on Game Pass, so it's not like it's $60" has been a staple of this forum since Sea of Thieves launched, with State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 getting similar treatment. It's still unacceptable to release games that aren't fully fleshed-out or working properly. They're just decreasing the value of Game Pass and if they continue to do it, Game Pass' reputation will be too beat up to recover.

I'm not saying that Microsoft hasn't done a good job making Game Pass compelling to this point, but without a strong and consistent first-party output, the service will not survive.
But they with? even SoT end up become one of strong title, just some people in era won't admit it and keep saying how bad it is without playing it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
As for the acquisitions, all are hiring aggressively right now to the point it's obvious that they're going to be making bigger budget games for their next projects rather than throw-away experiences. The entire strategy was to buy studios with talent where funding and resource can unlock their potential.

Then there's Gears 5 and Halo Infinite, both of which look far more grandiose than their predecessors. We know Playground is working on a major AAA open world RPG. And we know The Initiative is growing to be a studio focused on AAA too, poaching significant talent suggesting a narrative led adventure game.

I'm curious about this, because comments from Matt Booty suggest that the acquisitions are about rounding out the portfolio with 'mid-tier' games (his words), to complement the AAA focus of their existing larger franchises. So I'm not sure all or even most of them will be carrying that ambition.

I agree in that I don't think the AAA calibre of games like Forza is going to change, but I do wonder how much of the additionals and how much of the expansion will yield leading edge stuff, or stuff that aims for that, and to what extent gamepass is influencing the mix.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed in CD3 reviews and it kind of cements to me that MS should focus less on the global publishing team.
Out of all their effrots this gen, this was supposed to be the biggest and it was the biggest bust. only KI and Ori have really been successful and only Ori can IMO be considered a great game. At least MS got an IP out of that one but we all know MOON won't sell and more power to them.

I feel net gen things will start looking up, but they are going to need some seriously amazing games at the next-xbox reveal to get people to buy into it, most have decided Xbox as a system has the least interesting games at this point.

I'll still buy CD3, I figure after this reception it will probably be the last CD game and I;d like to have a complete collection. A sucker I am.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I almost feel like downloading and playing crackdown 3 on gamepass sends the wrong message. This shouldn't be an acceptable level of quality from Xbox game studios, and I feel that if it's a success on gamepass maybe Microsoft will use that data point to rationalize low quality first party releases.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost feel like downloading and playing crackdown 3 on gamepass sends the wrong message. This shouldn't be an acceptable level of quality from Xbox game studios, and I feel that if it's a success on gamepass maybe Microsoft will use that data point to rationalize low quality first party releases.

Jesus Christ on a bike, lol.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
If it's a success on Game Pass it means people enjoyed the game..

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, back in 2014 Microsoft were clearly planning ahead for Game Pass to spend 5 years of development hell on a purposefully mediocre "disposable" game for the service. What on earth is this nonsense?

Crackdown isn't the sign of anything other than nearly 10 years of poor management hierarchy, under investment and lack of resource in Microsoft's gaming division.

And why not do this article after FH4 released on the service which is one of the highest rated games of 2018?

As for the acquisitions, all are hiring aggressively right now to the point it's obvious that they're going to be making bigger budget games for their next projects rather than throw-away experiences. The entire strategy was to buy studios with talent where funding and resource can unlock their potential.

Then there's Gears 5 and Halo Infinite, both of which look far more grandiose than their predecessors. We know Playground is working on a major AAA open world RPG. And we know The Initiative is growing to be a studio focused on AAA too, poaching significant talent suggesting a narrative led adventure game.

So, this entire article is very much a hot take on the back of Crackdown 3, and therefore not an interesting hypothesis at all.
its such a dumb article with the author pushing some bogus narrative. I can bet Ori 2 and Gears 5 will review very well and sell just as well and yet we have both games coming to game pass at launch. Anyone who thinks MS will stop making AAA titles cos of game pass is getting it all wrong. The Initiative, 343i, Coalition, PG games, Obsidian, Rare, T10 and even NT will continue making AAA games...doesn't stop them from making a couple AA games too after all most of these devs have multiple teams now.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
If only we had some good games in the MS lineup...

HarmlessTastyFlatfish-size_restricted.gif

WhisperedSlowGavial-size_restricted.gif

If only...

Joking aside, while i love Crackdown 3 or at least what I've played of so far, I do want MS to step it up post-CD3. We got some really good studios, Global Publishing got such great talent, now is the time to shift in fifth gear and go full in looking at next-gen.
MS obviously knows this. Its' why they went on the acquisition spree last year and according to insiders they aren't even done. Gears 5 and Ori 2 look really good though.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Or why don't you try it first to see if it's low quality for you or not.
Btw, MS target isn't release bunch of low quality games, it's keep releasing good mid-tier budget games with few good AAAs in each year, even Crackdown 3 is bad in WOM but still success, they will just think they're luck this time and should release something good quality next time.

It's really crazy people think devs just want to develop something bad, Ljn is closed long time ago lol.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Playing it and then dropping it if you don't like it would send more of a message than not playing it at all, when it comes to stuff like Game Pass games.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Here's my plan, I'm gonna start a website called meatcriric, where I review meats and meat related products.

Then I'm going to wait until the day someone at Metacritic fucks up and doesn't update an account or forgets to respond to an email and their domain is unregistered for a few seconds or minutes, I'll then buy it up and set it to redirect to meatcriric. And when they try to sue me to get their domain back, I'll be able to make a legitimate case for use, because people frequently misstype meat as meta and go to the wrong site.

Then we'll be done with this argument forever. Who's with me? I need someone to review mollusks.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Their analytics are probably WAAAY better than just a simple "X amount downloaded the game".
They're definitely looking at how much people play the game, so if they notice that the amount of play time is way lower on average per download than other games, that would probably send a message that they need to do something different.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm curious about this, because comments from Matt Booty suggest that the acquisitions are about rounding out the portfolio with 'mid-tier' games (his words), to complement the AAA focus of their existing larger franchises. So I'm not sure all or even most of them will be carrying that ambition.

I agree in that I don't think the AAA calibre of games like Forza is going to change, but I do wonder how much of the additionals and how much of the expansion will yield leading edge stuff, or stuff that aims for that, and to what extent gamepass is influencing the mix.
its such a dumb article with the author pushing some bogus narrative. I can bet Ori 2 and Gears 5 will review very well and sell just as well and yet we have both games coming to game pass at launch. Anyone who thinks MS will stop making AAA titles cos of game pass is getting it all wrong. The Initiative, 343i, Coalition, PG games, Obsidian, Rare, T10 and even NT will continue making AAA games...doesn't stop them from making a couple AA games too after all most of these devs have multiple teams now.
Microsoft has said they want to be in a position to deliver a "AAA" game every quarter on to Game Pass. The mid-tier stuff from the likes of Battletoads to Ori 2 will nicely fill the other two months with alternative experiences.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft has said they want to be in a position to deliver a "AAA" game every quarter on to Game Pass. The mid-tier stuff from the likes of Battletoads to Ori 2 will nicely fill the other two months with alternative experiences.

That institutional investor's take seems a bit contrary to expectations in Booty's direct quotes. Maybe different interpretations of 'AAA' are being used in different conversations, maybe '1 AAA every quarter' is an ultimate long term goal, or maybe different expectations are being expressed in public vs more privately to an investor. But if both the investor's take and Booty's comments are correct, and are nearer term (5 year) goals, then I guess they'll be wanting to pick up yet more larger studios to meet that goal. We'll see what happens.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
That Crackdown review thread, oof. A little blood in the water and the troll-sharks come out in a frenzy.

Bito

Jan 30, 2019
I feel like no matter what Xbox does they will get hate. It just blows my mind. When Nintendo canceled Prime 4 everyone praised them, xbox cancels scale bound and fable they get hate for it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I think they have deeper stats to show this like time played. No doubt many will play and drop it if they don't like what they see.

And yes I agree this should not be a qualifier for top class content for MS, they shouldn't get a pass which why I have high hopes for the new gen, they don't have enough nay excuses now.
QB and SO had decent to good reviews i think, and Ori since MS own the ip.
True enough, but that didn't prevent them from being nailed by the stink from the original launch. Their sales no doubt suffered as a result.
If only we had some good games in the MS lineup...

HarmlessTastyFlatfish-size_restricted.gif

SimpleFirstDeinonychus-size_restricted.gif

If only...

Joking aside, while i love Crackdown 3 or at least what I've played of so far, I do want MS to step it up post-CD3. We got some really good studios, Global Publishing got such great talent, now is the time to shift in fifth gear and go full in looking at next-gen.
Indeed, XGS has some serious talent in their studios now. If anything I will be really surprised if Xbox doesn't start knocking it out of the park from Gears 5 onwards.

Just look at what they have in the pipeline. Initiative, Obsidian, Playground, 343i to name a few.
A Polygon editorial that runs with the theory that Crackdown 3 might represent the future of Xbox first party output - for better and for worse:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/14/18223861/crackdown-3-review-xbox-game-pass

I think it's a bit early to come to this conclusion, but it's an interesting hypothesis.
Netflix needed really high quality content to attract subscribers too. XGS has the same pressure to succeed, if anything they have a harder job than any other platform to get it right, hence the huge investments coming in.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
That institutional investor's take seems a bit contrary to expectations in Booty's direct quotes. Maybe different interpretations of 'AAA' are being used in different conversations, maybe '1 AAA every quarter' is an ultimate long term goal, or maybe different expectations are being expressed in public vs more privately to an investor. But if both the investor's take and Booty's comments are correct, and are nearer term (5 year) goals, then I guess they'll be wanting to pick up yet more larger studios to meet that goal. We'll see what happens.
They will keep making AAA games. They've never said otherwise and they have enough AAA devs to get the work done and as I stated above they aren't done acquiring developers.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Except the reality is if Microsoft keeps dropping poorly conceived and unenjoyable games into gamepass this will negatively impact gamepass subscribers numbers as putting in first party titles day one becomes less of a selling point for the service if all the games are garbage..

On the flipside, gamepass subscribers will get the opportunity to judge this for themselves and maybe they will find out they actually enjoy it.

I speak from experience here, I certainly have some faith that I will get some enjoyment out of this. I had very little desire to play State of Decay 2 and the reviews almost prevented me from even bothering, but not only did I play it but it sunk its claws into me pretty deep for several weeks and I became a fan of the series.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Heh. If they were going to release it "low quality" just to get it out, then they would have released this in "good enough whatever" state 3 years ago. They spent a lot of time and a LOT of money polishing this into something that some people will like. Sea of Thieves is the same. It doesn't matter how much "content" they put in, because the vision they had for the game was never for everyone. We'll see what lessons they learn. It'll be interesting either way.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
The obsession with metacritic on this forum is insane.

CD looks a great game, play and enjoy it

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
It was truly unbelievable how good the 360 was last gen, especially early on. Sad to see my most played Xbox one game is Pubg...

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
About the Crackdown 3 debate, I knew people would have freak out. It's just internet being internet, beetwen trolls and people not being able to reason. I'm not surprised.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About the Crackdown 3 debate, I knew people would have freak out. It's just internet being internet, beetwen trolls and people not being able to reason. I'm not surprised.
Well, we're now entering the era of Booty, so the upside is that Xbox have someone personally looking to take charge of 1st party quality, and all of MS announced games coming up do look spectacular. I dont think this sentiment was shared with Fable, Crackdown, ReCore etc.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Not surprised by the reviews. These are the same outlets that praised Red Dead Redemption 2 for a good story and great graphics, yet it played absolutely like crap. That is when you're actually playing it, and not just riding on a horse and talking to people. Just another in the long list of games where presentation is more important than gameplay, and reviewers eat it up.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Not surprised by the reviews. These are the same outlets that praised Red Dead Redemption 2 for a good story and great graphics, yet it played absolutely like crap. That is when you're actually playing it, and not just riding on a horse and talking to people. Just another in the long list of games where presentation is more important than gameplay, and reviewers eat it up.
RDR2 was amazing. Second best game this gen, right behind Witcher 3.

Verruckt93

Feb 16, 2018
Here's my plan, I'm gonna start a website called meatcriric, where I review meats and meat related products.

Then I'm going to wait until the day someone at Metacritic fucks up and doesn't update an account or forgets to respond to an email and their domain is unregistered for a few seconds or minutes, I'll then buy it up and set it to redirect to meatcriric. And when they try to sue me to get their domain back, I'll be able to make a legitimate case for use, because people frequently misstype meat as meta and go to the wrong site.

Then we'll be done with this argument forever. Who's with me? I need someone to review mollusks.
I'm in, go for it

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Wasn't the crackdown 3 game all it was supposed to be a crackdown game...so where is this we can't accept this quality from Microsoft?...so now every game in this world is supposed to look like God of war..is that the new standard the so called "gaming industry" n others moaning here have set?...I really don't get how crackdown 3, game that has had a difficult development cycle gets define how the future of other games from XGS will look like n how the future of gamepass will look like..what is the standard are the complaints and the media measuring crackdown 3 against that makes them think it's "the worse that makes it a 5/10" game...is it something the media n the complaints wanted personally that's missing or is there something that a crackdown game is supposed to have that is missing thereby informing their rating of it...I just don't get it..are all games supposed to look a specific way or have certain things?...I never heard of that..are all games supposed to have all these things they claim to appeal to it's fans?..NO and I never heard that either..it's all subjectivity,the problem is people n the media trying so hard to project their subjectivity onto others who think it looks great and couple with same people predicting "doom and gloom" for Microsoft and Xbox because of gamepass..first it was we cannot get man game games as Xbox owners n now they provide with games then the narrative changes to "we want quality over quantity"..when is it gonna end..is there a race for who tops the moaning chart board in the gaming industry?..yeah company' are not perfect but my Gosh some people have been milking the whole "we are the reviewers or we are hard core gamers so we get to decide thing to it's apex"...why do t I give people the benefit of the doubt for loving a franchise even if it is not your taste or it doesn't have what you wanted on a personal level..it will do a great work of good 👍
People really underestimate the subjectivity element of gaming..it's very subjective..something people must learn to accept so sanity can prevail

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Now that's something I can get behind.

Even with Crackdown's poor reviews, I still believe the Xbox division has a bright future.
Without a doubt. XGS is loaded with talent, they have incredibly skilled teams working on next gen. The intent absolutely is to be the best in the industry, at least that's what their level of investment shows.

Hell, my favourite studio ended up being acquired, Obsidian.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
Crackdown 3 is Crackdown and I'm sure that's what we were wanting/expecting. I do think that will be the last time people will take pleasure in shitting on a Xbox game unless Battletoads turns out bad. No way do I expect Ori and Gears to receive as much bashing. Xbox Games studios already looks bright with Ninja Theory's new game announcement this year, Playground's open world Fable, and whatever big game The Initiative is doing. I can't wait to see what new ips these studios create for next generation.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After the Crackdown 3 thread I'm curious what the sentiment is like in here, I'm half expecting to see calls for Phil to resign. It might be early but I can see someone making the case.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Without a doubt. XGS is loaded with talent, they have incredibly skilled teams working on next gen. The intent absolutely is to be the best in the industry, at least that's what their level of investment shows.

Hell, my favourite studio ended up being acquired, Obsidian.
Yeah, Obsidian is a huge deal. They were the first studio that came to my mind when Phil started talking about acquisitions.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After the Crackdown 3 thread I'm curious what the sentiment is like in here, I'm half expecting to see calls for Phil to resign. It might be early but I can see someone making the case.

On the contrary actually, I think most people here see Crackdown as this thing that was inherited by Phil from the previous regime.

I think most people (myself included) view this as the final remnant of that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.