• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I'm replying Quantum Break and i can't stop asking to myself ¿What the hell were the reviewers thinking while playing the fucking game?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It's good to see Microsoft actually attempt to fix their first party problem this past year.

Hopefully Microsoft understands that throwing more money at a studio /= better games though. They had a clear issue with the process of creating a vision and delivering on that vision this generation. Hiring more people and dumping more money isn't going to fix that. Other than Playground games with the Forza Horizon series, I honestly can't say they pushed any boundaries or set any standards with their software lineup. Gamepass shouldn't be an excuse for a game to not be at an optimal level of quality aka the "Netflix Originals" idea people are talking about. One thing I'm still waiting on is to see if these new studios release something beyond "Netflix Original" quality like we all want.
Playground's RPG game is gonna be good guaranteed though, they know what they're doing. The other studios, I need to be proven that Microsoft has the talent and capability to manage and guide those games to the upmost quality and take the necessary measures to make change if need be

I wouldn't be too too concerned about Microsoft screwing up any of their new studios. Consider this second hand insider information because I have it from people who work at some of those studios, but Microsoft is taking a pretty hands off approach. A lot of these studios they bought because of their pedigree and their particular spirit and style, and their fanbases especially, and they don't want to mess any of that up.

Maybe someone like Compulsion might get some extra guidance and restructuring, and I'm sure Microsoft will bring their own guns to the fight when it comes to MSGP partnerships, but for your Ninja Theories and your Obsidians of the group, I expect them to keep doing what they're doing, but with more freedom, budget and time.

Apr 6, 2018
Something I've noticed on 343i's website. They have a dedicated tab for the SlipSpace Engine. It seems to have some hints on what they're doing. The part where it says,

Alive with Excitement
A living, breathing world ripe for exploration and endless gameplay possibilities.

This sounds very much like a world that is open and very large hmmmm :)

https://www.343industries.com/slipspace-engine
Nah that's the worst part of metro exodus. The obsession for opening the games is hurting level
Quote my post in the CD3 review thread.
Man, I am so disappointed and sad.
I know I will still enjoy the game. But seeing a franchise get destroyed and losing the chance to grow the fanbase really makes me sad.
And I am losing my confidence for the 1st party output for next-gen.
As if there never had been games, books, movies rejected by mainstream critics reaching a cult status
I just think the developers could've been put to better use than trying to piece this game together until the expectations of a new Crackdown for the last five years.

Limited resources. The team should've been given a different project to work on once it was cancelled.
Ah yes people who will never touch the game talking about the devs wasting their time.
First, I wouldn't say anything is "guaranteed" to be a top quality game, even when developers have decent track records (like The Coalition after Gears 4). Something like Mass Effect Andromeda can still happen for a multitude of reasons.

But I would agree that Crackdown 3 feels like the last product from "the old guard" of Microsoft/XBox leadership. Its in the rearview mirror now, and I'm excited to see what XBox Game Studios puts out in the years ahead.
Why judging an entire line up strategy by one single game with a rough development?
Don't fall for review score bate.
RDR2 is an objectively great game, but my enjoyment with games was way higher on a lot lower scoring games.

At this point people should be aware and know what kind of games score good and bad.
I mean Metro Exodus is a low 80. That is even more insulting than Crackdown at low 60.
I'm disappointed by how high is farcry new dawn, while metro looks like that the open sections are worst than the linear ones
Exactly. And it's not like we haven't had great exclusives on Xbox One. I do get some posters that mentioned games like Recore, State of Decay 2 and even Sea of Thieves (although the last one is subjective) Recore wasn't exactly super and State of Decay 2's launch wasn't too great. Bugs and glitches, lacking polish. I wish nothing but the best for the team and I hope they will grow and improve significantly.

I think some people just want most if not all of their exclusives to be great, which I can understand. We'll see in the future.
State of decay 2 had just a buggish launch, like it never happens with ow games with a tons of systems, like the witcher, kingdom come, mass effect andromeda, everything bethesda, the acs. Still the problem of the saga is that they try to push it into the mainstream while the game is designed for being extremely niche.
Sea of Thieves is one of the strangest beast in the generation, so it wasn't clear how it would have worked at launch.
I hope that the gamepasspay off and msft still release unique and original games with odd design philosophies.
Happy we can move on from crackdown 3. Let's accept what it is and forget it even exists. No more trying to hype it, no more trying to convince people it's good, no more "it just looks fun" talking points.
Even if it was the best game in the world since System Shock 2, what the hell could a gamer do once a game is out? unless it's a gaas.
Plus it's fun
If this isn't enough for you: the city is gorgeous, orbs progression still kicks ass more than the rpg lite mechanics we see everywhere with awful results and the guns variety is 10/10.
Why moving on when it's the cornerstone of the future of gaming?

With the recent layoffs at Activision Blizzard, I was wondering how Xbox Game Studios stacked up in terms of hiring. It's interesting, in that, I was curious as to what kind of cadence hiring new people meant for games, and what kind of investment MS was making in these studios. Overall, and just by checking their websites (and not 3rd party staffing sites like Indeed, if someone has larger numbers from there, please correct me). I found 156 open positions across the studios. No openings (at least none advertised on their sites) for Compulsion, Mojang and Turn10. All are taking "speculative" applications as well, basically those without a listed position.

343 Industries - 16 Openings
https://www.343industries.com/careers

inXile - 13 Openings
https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/careers

Ninja Theory - 6 Openings
https://ninjatheory.com/?page_id=27

Obsidian - 6 Openings
https://www.obsidian.net/jobs

Playground Games - 65 Openings
https://www.playground-games.com/careers/

Rare Games - 17 Openings
https://www.rare.co.uk/careers

The Coalition - 3 Contract Openings
https://thecoalitionstudio.com/#Join-Us

The Initiative - 2 Openings
https://initiativegaming.com/Home/CareerV2

Undead Labs - 28 Openings
https://undeadlabs.com/jobs/
343 has more openings on the msft website in the career section.
I'm impressed by undead labs
O.o Playground Games are looking to ad 65 devs?! They're up to something :)

Still you have other games like League of legends doing crazy good with "meh" ratings
they were searching for 170 new devs back in fall 2018, the new studio just kicked in
Imagine if instead of continuing to pump development resources in this game for 5 years, they instead spent that money on making a game everybody will enjoy. That's the real failure here. Troubled games get cancelled so those resources can be spent on something new and hopefully better.
immagine cancelling a game because the forums hate it. Guess that the game never aimed higher than it's fanbase
I'm just imagining what BF4 (specifically Siege of Shanghai) would have been like with unscripted tower demolition using the destruction tech in CD3.

I feel like WZ would have been better if the destruction was more of a challenge, or a finale, rather than just constant.
I'm asking my self if it is related to what they said about the new horde mode that an user teased in the former thread.
While WZ is not my cup of tea it's impressive
I have been playing video games since I was little, and I don't for the life of me understand how people wouldn't have a lot of fun in Wrecking Zone. Granted I pretty much suck at twitch FPS type game, and this is a really different take on multiplayer that is super fast paced fun. I think that the biggest problem is that both reviewers and a lot of gamers "aren't playing it right", meaning it will basically suck if you attempt to treat it like your typical FPS. It is all about mobility, awareness, and destruction where you can use the heavier weapons to just wreck things that people are standing on or using for cover. I had some awesome moments where I literally used my heavy weapon to blow through a building to come out the other side and get the bead on someone. It is some of the most unique multiplayer fun that I have had in a long time.

It was a real shame that Xbox Party Support was not there at launch, but the developers provided an update last night that it is already working on their sandbox developer instance. So it sounds like that should be there pretty soon, which I think could really give this a shot in the arm when some friends start trying it out together and then using word of mouth which helps when barrier to entry is low with Game Pass too. I know that I have some friends that are itching to try it out with me once this feature is in place.
The mode is fun and a pleasure to watch but I'm not so interested when I can play 500 more hours in gears 4's mp until 5.
I'm curious how it will be used in the future. This is just the first step
"Speak well or speak ill, but speak of me."
I think crackdown will hit a large number of players by being in GP. Everyone curious with the game and how ta in the service is easy to test.
I remember everyone was scared of the date, since the game came out with FarCry and Metro, but who swallowed the two in the media was crackdown. Yes it was not in a positive way, but does anyone remember that FarCry launched on the 15th? With that the crackdown got his players and I guarantee that many ended up having fun and enjoying the game.

I'd say crackdown is the Game Pass Bird Box.
Guess that far cry was never expected to set the world on fire, like cd, just a guilty pleasure for the fans, while Metro looks like the goty material to me.
But I saw a shit ton of post on twitter saying that people are enjoying their time in crackdown and the bad reviews maybe were useful to attract the pubblic on a niche game. Like even they said that they aimed for sharknado of gaming.
Do you guys still buy first party games or just use GamePass?
I was planning to buy gears 5 because is my favourite game ever, but I'm getting bad vides from interviews and trailers, so I will gamepass it unless it shows the right footage
Hey everyone... I'm gonna be completely honest with you all. I REALLLLYYYYY hope this doesn't get me banned from ERA since I generally enjoy it here (at least in this thread..any other Xbox-mentioned thread has been..just....ugh..), but it must be said.....

I'm enjoying the hell out of Crackdown 3 so far.
It's like saying you sucked Satan's cock and enjoyed in salem in XVII century
Metro is gonna bomb and at least Crackdown has gamepass as it's main focus and not entirely on sales
Metro bombing? Ok the epic thing would enrage the core fanbase of the franchise on pc, but I can't see it bombing

hmmm anything to see here?

The black dude in the left lower corner looks great to hug? Maybe the artwork the guy is holding is related to ori?
I think the one is gonna bomb is New Dawn (besides CD3), but of course Metro would have benefited a lot from better reviews. I still don't think what happened, I haven't played it besides a demo on PGW but what I saw was absolutely stunning.
The far cry fanbase is pretty big, even if the games looks a reskin.
I'm puzzled, I was projecting metro in the 90+ category

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry New Dawn is a 74 on open critic. I only have 8 story missions left and the game is done. Don't see myself giving it higher than an 8.0/10 at best which was what I rated Far Cry 5. The series has declined for me personally though. I rated Far Cry 3/4/Primal a 9.0/10 each. Not happy with the changes Ubisoft has made and the stories and characters seem to get worse. Having a character created character who's also silent as the protagonist two games in a row is horrible. As average as Jason Brody and Ajay Ghale were, both were by far better than the fake voiceless non-existent character in Far Cry 5 and New Dawn.

Metro Exodus on the other hand is an 83 on open critic and personally, im expecting a 9.0/10 for myself. Enjoyed the first two games and played 2033 last summer where as I played Last Light on 360 back when it launched. Majority of the complaints that I have seen about Exodus is technical issues. Hopefully, 4A Games fixes them as quickly as possible. Either way, I'll be starting it Monday as im very much looking forward to it and a lot more than I was New Dawn.

Apr 6, 2018
Far Cry New Dawn is a 74 on open critic. I only have 8 story missions left and the game is done. Don't see myself giving it higher than an 8.0/10 at best which was what I rated Far Cry 5. The series has declined for me personally though. I rated Far Cry 3/4/Primal a 9.0/10 each. Not happy with the changes Ubisoft has made and the stories and characters seem to get worse. Having a character created character who's also silent as the protagonist two games in a row is horrible. As average as Jason Brody and Ajay Ghale were, both were by far better than the fake voiceless non-existent character in Far Cry 5 and New Dawn.

Metro Exodus on the other hand is an 83 on open critic and personally, im expecting a 9.0/10 for myself. Enjoyed the first two games and played 2033 last summer where as I played Last Light on 360 back when it launched. Majority of the complaints that I have seen about Exodus is technical issues. Hopefully, 4A Games fixes them as quickly as possible. Either way, I'll be starting it Monday as im very much looking forward to it and a lot more than I was New Dawn.
Pagan Min is one of the few well written villains this gen.
Still I find the formula boring and the rpg system in new dawn looks terrible for the shooting mechanics.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pagan Min is one of the few well written villains this gen.
Still I find the formula boring and the rpg system in new dawn looks terrible for the shooting mechanics.

Agree in regards to Min. Far Cry 4 is my favorite game out of those that I have played which has been every one since Far Cry 3. I prefer the old formula and setup compared to the new one. The light RPG elements aren't bad or anything. They just don't fit with what Far Cry is meant to be.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

This is just a clarifying question, but do you consider 8 out 10 bad or good? To me that's a pretty good score, that'd be a game with only a few noticeable flaws.

I ask just to be sure, because it seems like a lot of people I see lately consider 7 - 8 average, 9 - 10 great and 6 or below a complete failure.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This is just a clarifying question, but do you consider 8 out 10 bad or good? To me that's a pretty good score, that'd be a game with only a few noticeable flaws.

I ask just to be sure, because it seems like a lot of people I see lately consider 7 - 8 average, 9 - 10 great and 6 or below a complete failure.

I was kinda wondering the same thing when I read it. What was being said wasn't jiving with the 8 for me. I was thinking like a 6.5 or 7 from the comments.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I personally and literally use a 0-10 rating scale which is as follows -
0 - Unplayable, 1 - Awful, 2 - Bad, 3 - Poor, 4 - Below Average, 5 - Average, 6 - Above Average, 7 - Good, 8 - Great, 9 - Excellent and 10 - Superb

I rate every game in four categories on a whole number scale of 0-10. The four categories are visuals, audio, gameplay and story/characters. I then have a fifth category for open world and wide linear games like Far Cry New Dawn, Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc. This category is for all the side and optional content. The fifth category is the only category I also use half point increments in. When next gen starts, I'll use half point increments for all categories. If I do this now, I would have to re-rate 70+ games and just no way. Better off waiting until next gen especially when it's less than two years away. Overall rating is the four (or five if applicable) categories added up and then divided by four (or five) which gives me the overall rating. The overall rating is in half point increments so for example, an 8.0/10, 8.5/10, 9.0/10, etc. However, while I'll give a 10 rating in a category, unless a game gets four (or five) 10's across the board, no game will ever surpass 9.5/10. Anything past is just too fucking high in my opinion. Out of 75 completed games (up to REmake2), 20-25% are either 9/10 or 9.5/10 but the 9.5/10 is only as of now, four games for this generation.

Last generation, I only rated with an overall score but going into this generation, I didn't like it because if for example, I play a 2D Mario game, it may get an 8 overall but the story/characters category is basically a 5/10. I don't just hand out 9+ scores. It's very rare that I do that. I don't have any game below a 6/10 for this generation. Majority of my overall scores are either 8.0/10 or 8.5/10. A decent amount of 7 or 7.5 plus a few 6 or 6.5's.

Sorry for the long post but to answer your question directly, an 8.0/10 is a great game in my opinion but for say, Far Cry New Dawn (and FC5), it's not in that excellent category like 3/4/Primal was for me so while still great, the last two games have declined for me personally. Hope this answers your question. :)

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Nah that's the worst part of metro exodus. The obsession for opening the games is hurting level

As if there never had been games, books, movies rejected by mainstream critics reaching a cult status

Ah yes people who will never touch the game talking about the devs wasting their time.

Why judging an entire line up strategy by one single game with a rough development?

I'm disappointed by how high is farcry new dawn, while metro looks like that the open sections are worst than the linear ones

State of decay 2 had just a buggish launch, like it never happens with ow games with a tons of systems, like the witcher, kingdom come, mass effect andromeda, everything bethesda, the acs. Still the problem of the saga is that they try to push it into the mainstream while the game is designed for being extremely niche.
Sea of Thieves is one of the strangest beast in the generation, so it wasn't clear how it would have worked at launch.
I hope that the gamepasspay off and msft still release unique and original games with odd design philosophies.

Even if it was the best game in the world since System Shock 2, what the hell could a gamer do once a game is out? unless it's a gaas.
Plus it's fun
If this isn't enough for you: the city is gorgeous, orbs progression still kicks ass more than the rpg lite mechanics we see everywhere with awful results and the guns variety is 10/10.
Why moving on when it's the cornerstone of the future of gaming?

343 has more openings on the msft website in the career section.
I'm impressed by undead labs

they were searching for 170 new devs back in fall 2018, the new studio just kicked in

immagine cancelling a game because the forums hate it. Guess that the game never aimed higher than it's fanbase

I'm asking my self if it is related to what they said about the new horde mode that an user teased in the former thread.
While WZ is not my cup of tea it's impressive

The mode is fun and a pleasure to watch but I'm not so interested when I can play 500 more hours in gears 4's mp until 5.
I'm curious how it will be used in the future. This is just the first step

Guess that far cry was never expected to set the world on fire, like cd, just a guilty pleasure for the fans, while Metro looks like the goty material to me.
But I saw a shit ton of post on twitter saying that people are enjoying their time in crackdown and the bad reviews maybe were useful to attract the pubblic on a niche game. Like even they said that they aimed for sharknado of gaming.

I was planning to buy gears 5 because is my favourite game ever, but I'm getting bad vides from interviews and trailers, so I will gamepass it unless it shows the right footage

It's like saying you sucked Satan's cock and enjoyed in salem in XVII century

Metro bombing? Ok the epic thing would enrage the core fanbase of the franchise on pc, but I can't see it bombing

The black dude in the left lower corner looks great to hug? Maybe the artwork the guy is holding is related to ori?

The far cry fanbase is pretty big, even if the games looks a reskin.
I'm puzzled, I was projecting metro in the 90+ category
First off, how long did this take you type? Second, its not forums its the entire gaming media... reviews are bad?

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
A Captain America game? or 4A games acquisition? or big Time partnership with rockstar games ?..lol your guess is as good as mine

If MS gets a Cap game it'd be the Coalition developing it. Rod is a huge Cap fan. Check out his Instagram. He had a ton of statues and figures.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Late in the month to very early next month. Depends on if they have events like Inside Xbox to line up with it.

I thought games were added on the 1st of the month, guess not. I'm still new to this.

there are still more unannounced games coming this month. Anyway, they will probably announce next month's games early next month.

also there is a OT. https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-game-pass-ot-game-pass-and-chill.18343/

Oh I totally missed it somehow, thanks

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
No matter your thoughts on Crackdown, or what method you bought to play it, we can all agree there are worse ways to spend your money. Like putting it into a Peter Molyneux Kickstarter.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Went to a Friend's and he was playing Metro Exodus on a 2080ti and my god, it melted my eyes. My 1X experience was good (Except the Gamma issue) but this was mind-blowing.

Realizing 4A games are

1. Under-rated

2. Have a fantastic IP in Metro

3. Fantastic PC devs ( Crysis levels)

4. Based in Europe

5. Mid-Sized Studio ( 150 people)

Xbox would really benefit acquiring 4A Games, which is what I wanted to say.

A successor to Metro that's based in the London Underground after the apocalypse has destroyed the U.K. would be amazing.

The tube is iconic what with Kings Cross.

Gameplay would be similar to Metro as well

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be so hard if they acquired 4A games. Like someone else, they are a tech powerhouse. Money is definitely an object to them considering they took that exclusivity deal with Epic on PC ( 😡😡😡😡😡). They know how to max out the Xbox One, One X and PC if the Digital Foundry videos are anything to go by. There is at least a foundation there considering they premiered the game at Xbox's E3 show, there is an Exodus One X bundle, the Metro games are on GamePass (though that's more on the publisher I'll admit)..They are an established studio..

Those aren't foundations that indicate an acquisition by any means of course, but it shows that Phil obviously likes that studio, especially enough to do the One X bundle.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
4A could make a pretty stellar/horrifying WW2 game, come to think about it.

Like when COD and Battlefield tried to go back to WW2, except not shit and only made to make money in the multiplayer mode. Though I wonder if they would prefer to do an WW2-era game but with non-human enemies..kind of a mix between Metro and Resistance: Fall of Man.

A Toad can dream🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Dude, your username is awesome.

meh?✋✋

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
Metro is gonna bomb and at least Crackdown has gamepass as it's main focus and not entirely on sales

How do you know it's going to bomb? One of my huge problems with a lot games discussions is people do not actually play games or even wait for hard data before declaring a game a success or failure. If you are looking for a AAA single player FPS, Metro is one of your few options. I don't know if it will be a good or a bad game but I would be very surprised if the game is terrible or even mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.