• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Whether MS reaches internal goals is all that matters.

I'm not sure they even care about boxed sales anymore either

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Time and money? Crackdown probably had plenty. It might just be that Sumo don't have the creative and technical talent to make the game that people expected.

Spencer said on a few occasions that Crackdown 3 was basically a gift to fans of the original game, and in that context I feel that Sumo managed to deliver exactly what the intended audience expected.

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I personally have a issue with Crackdown, I'm enjoying it so far BUT this is what concerns me about the Perfect Dark reboot and Fable projects. I'm just worried they won't take these projects seriously and they'll be mediocre.

Obviously I'm FAR less worried about Fable if PG is on it but I need to know who's on PD, I can only hope the rumor is true Coalition is helping whoever is the main developer.
There's a direct difference in quality from sumo digital to that of a first party studio. Sumo is sumo for a reason. If PD were to be given to Global publishing it wasn't looked at as a big game to begin with

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the lead guy at the Coalition tweet a bunch of pics of Captain America action figures and merch a couple months ago? This is very interesting. A Captain America game would be so much bigger than Spider-Man for me.

Im not sure about that, I mean Cap is my favorite superhero (look at my avatar lol), but as the Russos said to the Honest Trailer guys: "He only have a frisbee". Not sure about the amount of combos and stuff Cap can do. Legs, arms and the shield? Not much.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Im not sure about that, I mean Cap is my favorite superhero (look at my avatar lol), but as the Russos said to the Honest Trailer guys: "He only have a frisbee". Not sure about the amount of combos and stuff Cap can do. Legs, arms and the shield? Not much.
Obviously guns and cover shooter mechanics would be added too.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Crackdown 3 is fun enough to justify another game. If the game does well on Game Pass, I could see it happening.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
There's a direct difference in quality from sumo digital to that of a first party studio. Sumo is sumo for a reason. If PD were to be given to Global publishing it wasn't looked at as a big game to begin with
I don't think that's necessarily true. If MSGP is going through the same refresh that the rest of the brand seems to be going through, it could be going to a quality studio or Microsoft could be using a new workflow to improve quality on all MSGP titles.

If Microsoft really did get a big vote of confidence and budget increase around E3 2017 (which is what has been speculated with the acquisitions), it would make a ton of sense that they went out and got a quality, established studio on one of their biggest available dormant IPs.

Some would say keep Perfect Dark for an internal studio, but I really think Microsoft desperately needs a big wave of new IPs and the acquired studios will bring that. If you wait to dust off Perfect Dark, it will continue to lose its luster. Using MSGP to bridge the gap with existing, but dormant Microsoft IPs is a great strategy as the new acquisitions work on a wave of new IPs. An Xbox Scarlett launch window with a new IP from Ninja Theory, Halo, Forza, and a few revivals (Banjo and Perfect Dark would be my guess) creates a very powerful first year for Scarlett with a ton of variety.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer said on a few occasions that Crackdown 3 was basically a gift to fans of the original game, and in that context I feel that Sumo managed to deliver exactly what the intended audience expected.

Completely and utterly agree

I'm enjoying the hell out of what is essentially a distilled, definitive Crackdown game that doesnt control like poop like the original

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God for gamepass, because I'd be very upset if I paid full price for that game. I'm enjoying it enough for now, but I can tell I'll be tired of it real soon.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'd be perfectly happy if they went forward with Crackdown as a AA franchise. Cut out the MP and have a a 6-10 hour campaign that focuses on awesome platforming and crazy weapons/explosions.

Oct 27, 2017
Ori is global publishing though

that makes no sense
1 game doesn't outweigh all of the other ventures from Global publishing. It's an outlier

Crackdown 3, state of decay 2( I expect the next one to be bigger and more polished) super luckys tale recore etc. they all are confined by the budget and had they been internally developed would've been a different story

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
1 game doesn't outweigh all of the other ventures from Global publishing. It's an outlier

Crackdown 3, state of decay 2( I expect the next one to be bigger and more polished) super luckys tale recore etc. they all are confined by the budget and had they been internally developed would've been a different story

Sunset Overdrive was also MSGP yeah, back before it was MGSP? Ryse, Quantum Break, I wanna say Killer Instinct would also count, the Forza Horizon games were second party. I'm sure someone else can explain the finer details of what does and doesn't count for this.

It's definitely true that all of these games, and really all games, could benefit from a bigger budget, but being second party and having a big budget are not mutually exclusive, even less so now.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.. also at the end if the day the quality of the product depends on the developer. TC is a very capable dev..I'm sure they will always come up with innovative ideas and ways to make the game amazing.

Like previously stated, Cap is not big on guns at all, it goes against his own persona "I don't want to kill anyone".

He has legs, fist and shield and I don't think a character game would be great with only that.

And not a fan of "innovative ideas" that you wrote. Stay true to his character and persona.

mikefizzled

Jan 8, 2018
Crackdown 4 as a launch window for the next Xbox would be ideal.

Comes with a beta for Infinite

I'll take any excuse to keep talk off of superheroes again. No offense to the gang, I would be exceptionally disappointed if Microsoft was to make one. Regardless of the fact Square Enix is the one with the contract to make them.

Don't forget, Crackdown 3 took at least 5 studios 5 years to complete. Regardless of who is to get the contract for the next game, should it exist, I can't see it releasing any time before 2021 at the earliest.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot all the weapons/guns and vehicles Cap uses. Also, he has some insane tricks with his shield unlike other weapons we've seen in most games. Ever played Turok 2? Remember the Razor Wind? If not that, ever used the Hawk in Perfect Dark Zero? They're weapons you throw that can bounce off walls and return back to you, just like Captain America's shield. You can also hit multiple enemies with it, bouncing to and from while kicking, punching, shooting enemies at the same time. Hell, you could even slide around with it like Link's shields in BotW.

There's so much potential with a Captain America game.

Last edited:

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Crackdown 3 > Sunset Overdrive.

I hope we get a sequel with a bigger budget and a less troubled development.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I think the "problem" with games like Crackdown and State of Decay reviews is that the games are relatively niche. They won't appeal to everyone in the same way that Horizon: Zero Dawn or Spider-Man can. Know the audience so to speak. It's like gritty, raw garage punk rock versus focus-grouped, mainstream pop, different standards.

I don't care for Persona and find it too repetitive and long, but for those fans it's one of the best in their categories. You can't review it the same way you do a more mainstream game. Not that this would make Crackdown a 9/10, but I think you get what I mean

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I think the "problem" with games like Crackdown and State of Decay reviews is that the games are relatively niche. They won't appeal to everyone in the same way that Horizon: Zero Dawn or Spider-Man can. Know the audience so to speak. It's like gritty, raw garage punk rock versus focus-grouped, mainstream pop, different standards.

I don't care for Persona and find it too repetitive and long, but for those fans it's one of the best in their categories. You can't review it the same way you do a more mainstream game. Not that this would make Crackdown a 9/10, but I think you get what I mean
The thing with State of Decay, I know 10 people alone who don't game and purchased a Xbox just for that game. Only game they've played. I don't think SoD is niche, I think it was budgeted and poorly marketed. Both should be corrected for SoD3

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Global Publishing was a renaming/rebranding that occured in 2017. Prior to that, any game that were "not part of franchise IPs" but externally developed and published by MS are part of the GP lineup of games. ( because IPs like Halo and Forza had their spin-offs managed by the respective franchise studios )

So basically games like Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Scalebound, Quantum Break were equally part of the GP lineup as does State of Decay, ReCore, Crackdown 3.

The notion that GP games are tier-2 is weird to me. In an alternate world where Playground remained independent, their Fable game would've been a Global Publishing game ( since Lionhead doesn't exist anymore ) and I don't think anyone at this point is worried about the production quality of that project.

IMO it's just the reality of game development that sometimes some projects don't turn out well in spite of the ambition and intent when it was first funded, and at a certain point, no amount of resources outside of rebooting a project can somehow turn a game that's not in good shape into a best-in-class game. I mean, how many times have we heard that a developer has 'rebooted' their projects this gen across the industry?

Oct 25, 2017

What outlier? Forza 7 had issues, Halo 4 sucks and 5 has it's issues. Sea of Thieves had a lot of problems in it's launch. Those are first party.

The idea that GP is less important than the rest makes 0 sense.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
The thing with State of Decay, I know 10 people alone who don't game and purchased a Xbox just for that game. Only game they've played. I don't think SoD is niche, I think it was budgeted and poorly marketed. Both should be corrected for SoD3
Interesting how popular a game can be, yet you never hear much about it on gaming forums. SoD isn't extremely niche or anything, but not quite mainstream yet. Cult status, maybe?

Sidenote , I met Jeff hardy last week
Nice! How'd that go? On a side note, CM Punk can suck a duck.
Second side note, my mom and The Hardy Boys, and I think Vince McMahon, are from the same county, and Shannon Moore, who is somehow related to me, I think he's like my 2nd cousin or something.
Moore County, North Carolina. Neat.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Like previously stated, Cap is not big on guns at all, it goes against his own persona "I don't want to kill anyone".

He has legs, fist and shield and I don't think a character game would be great with only that.

And not a fan of "innovative ideas" that you wrote. Stay true to his character and persona.
I don't get this post. What is wrong with being innovative. The devs can always be innovative and still work within the confines of the characters attributes. Take Insomniac games spiderman for example..that games story isn't based on an already existing one and they also doing innovative ways to tell it. Rod is obviously a big fan of CA and if they were to make the game, I'm sure they would do a lot of research and work with marvel closely to make sure they put out an amazing game and besides CA is not just super strength, gun and shield he also great at hand to hand combat..and they could have sections were you play as Bucky, BP and BW.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I want Perfect Dark and Banjo 3 knowing they will be confined to Global Publishing partnerships makes me wary.

Wasn't the rumor or speculation that Sumo could be working on Perfect Dark with the Coalition? Even though I think CD3 is better than a 6/10 game (I think its a 7/10) I don't want that for Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark shouldn't come back unless it can be an 85+ game. Another bad PD game would kill the franchise forever and I couldn't stomach that.

Banjo should have been having a new release every 4 years like 3d mario and should be an Xbox staple by now but of course we all know what happened there. At this point I wouldn't trust Playful or Playtonic to make a new Banjo, and Rare doesn't want to do it. If I was working at XGS I would stake my job on making a dedicated studio for Banjo Kazooie games literally my first day. Probably not good business.

That's one thing I don't understand Phil on. Voodoo Vince, Crackdown, Phantom Dust... good to above average games but BK and BT are literally classics and the franchise sits on the shelf.

...were they like preppers or something?
Im kidding of course but I don't see why you'd even have heard of SoD if you aren't really a gamer otherwise.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this post. What is wrong with being innovative. The devs can always be innovative and still work within the confines of the characters attributes. Take Insomniac games spiderman for example..that games story isn't based on an already existing one and they also doing innovative ways to tell it. Rod is obviously a big fan of CA and if they were to make the game, I'm sure they would do a lot of research and work with marvel closely to make sure they put out an amazing game and besides CA is not just super strength, gun and shield he also great at hand to hand combat..and they could have sections were you play as Bucky, BP and BW.
If you ask me, if Xbox had a choice they should do an exclusive DC character, Batman makes the most sense. Batman Beyond!
They have a great relationship with WB too.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
A Cap game could defo work. Make his shield work similar to Kratos' axe. He can "call" the shield back with with some hyper magnets like in Age of Ultron.
ZCQd.gif

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
The only superhero game I'd even be interested in is a Daredevil that plays like Ninja Gaiden 2 (with multiple weapon modes for the billy clubs + an unarmed mode with unlockable moves) in a small open world or hub world.

As a bonus there could be Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney courtroom side missions. Solve cases to get money to upgrade your suit/billy club.
I've actually thought about it a lot.

I don't really think Captain America would be all that interesting and I probably wouldn't buy it but I don't really care about the character.

If you ask me, if Xbox had a choice they should do an exclusive DC character, Batman makes the most sense. Batman Beyond!
They have a great relationship with WB too.
I mean that wouldn't happen, plus any game would just be trying to do what Arkham City did years ago.

Why not a Green Arrow game? At least it would be somewhat different, gameplay could be like a tps/action game (like Vanquish? I haven't played it but heard about it).

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The only superhero game I'd even be interested in is a Daredevil that plays like Ninja Gaiden 2 (with multiple weapon modes for the billy clubs + an unarmed mode with unlockable moves) in a small open world or hub world.

As a bonus there could be Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney courtroom side missions. Solve cases to get money to upgrade your suit/billy club.
I've actually thought about it a lot.

I don't really think Captain America would be all that interesting and I probably wouldn't buy it but I don't really care about the character.

I mean that wouldn't happen, plus any game would just be trying to do what Arkham City did years ago.

Why not a Green Arrow game? At least it would be somewhat different, gameplay could be like a tps/action game (like Vanquish? I haven't played it but heard about it).
That daredevil game would be great

Oct 26, 2018
Interesting how popular a game can be, yet you never hear much about it on gaming forums. SoD isn't extremely niche or anything, but not quite mainstream yet. Cult status, maybe?

Nice! How'd that go? On a side note, CM Punk can suck a duck.

Moore County, North Carolina. Neat.
I guess there was an event in or around Indiana recently. I work at Walmart and I was helping a customer with a item in the backand when I came back the customer was finishing up talking to Jeff and shook his hand, then went to me and was like " you know who that was right" I'm like " yea that's Jeff hardy". Then I saw Jeff in the frozen aisle and asked if he needed help and I showed him where the lean cuisine was. I wanted a pic but he looked like he didn't want to be bothered with that, my coworker got one though. Funny thing is, I used to be a BIG Jeff hardy fan, and I wasn't starstruck

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
A Cap game could defo work. Make his shield work similar to Kratos' axe. He can "call" the shield back with with some hyper magnets like in Age of Ultron.
ZCQd.gif

Yeah, I'm liking this thought. I've long been in the 'Cap for MS first party game' camp and outside of his agility and strength, his shield throwing maneuvers would be dope to play with, and they could very much use the magnetic connectors on his gauntlet to pull it back to him at will much like Kratos and his axe.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Captain America threw an enemy pilot into the propellers, I think they could make it work. He uses guns in the Marvel movies.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming forums are not indicative of the general population playing games, they are a specific subset of the larger community.

I was looking at the Xbox Most Played for the US earlier today, you know what the most played game behind the two massive free to play juggernauts (Fortnite and Apex Legends) is? If you thought GTA, a COD title, Red Dead, PUBG, Minecraft, R6, Destiny, Ark, Battlefield you'd be wrong. It's NBA 2K. Don't exactly see a ton of NBA 2K chatter around these forums.

Crackdown 3 > Sunset Overdrive.

I hope we get a sequel with a bigger budget and a less troubled development.
🌶🌶🌶 take

Status
Not open for further replies.