• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
He is not implying anything there.
I personally think that he was, or at least has some idea that Sega has had discussions with Microsoft about their Western studios. He's been hinting at it for over six months.

There's also been some curious evidence since E3 last year that I compiled in an earlier thread:
"Also, this is weird "pseudo-evidence," but Phil doesn't tweet a lot about third-party games. He did, however, tweet a lot about Hellblade when it was coming to Xbox One (long before E3). Perhaps they were already in negotiations with Ninja Theory so he was trying to give them some press? One of the only other third-party games he mentioned that seemingly had very little linking it to Xbox (other than the fact that it will merely exist on the platform) was Valkyria Chronicles 4. He also mentioned Valkyria Chronicles 4 again as part of a larger discussion about Hellblade being his favorite non-Xbox game of this generation (again, this was before the Ninja Theory acquisition). There was also, in February, some tweets from the official Sega Twitter about Sega visiting Xbox. Now, I'm sure these kinds of visits happen all the time, but it does seem odd that Sega would come from Japan (when Microsoft has only been working with their western studios) on nothing but a (what I'm assuming is standard in the industry) goodwill mission. That series of tweets is here. There's also a Sonic plushie involved and I doubt Relic (who is working on AOE4) or Creative Assembly (who worked on Halo Wars 2) rolls around with a Sonic plushie in their luggage. Yes, they are a part of Sega, but largely operate independently."

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think that he was, or at least has some idea that Sega has had discussions with Microsoft about their Western studios. He's been hinting at it for over six months.

There's also been some curious evidence since E3 last year that I compiled in an earlier thread:
"Also, this is weird "pseudo-evidence," but Phil doesn't tweet a lot about third-party games. He did, however, tweet a lot about Hellblade when it was coming to Xbox One (long before E3). Perhaps they were already in negotiations with Ninja Theory so he was trying to give them some press? One of the only other third-party games he mentioned that seemingly had very little linking it to Xbox (other than the fact that it will merely exist on the platform) was Valkyria Chronicles 4. He also mentioned Valkyria Chronicles 4 again as part of a larger discussion about Hellblade being his favorite non-Xbox game of this generation (again, this was before the Ninja Theory acquisition). There was also, in February, some tweets from the official Sega Twitter about Sega visiting Xbox. Now, I'm sure these kinds of visits happen all the time, but it does seem odd that Sega would come from Japan (when Microsoft has only been working with their western studios) on nothing but a (what I'm assuming is standard in the industry) goodwill mission. That series of tweets is here. There's also a Sonic plushie involved and I doubt Relic (who is working on AOE4) or Creative Assembly (who worked on Halo Wars 2) rolls around with a Sonic plushie in their luggage. Yes, they are a part of Sega, but largely operate independently."

He said it's interesting because of what we know of the relationship between Relic and MS, which he hinted at months ago as you say, but he isn't hinting at the acquisition happening. It was someone else who brought it up to him and he just found it interesting given what we already know.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Ok guys hypothetically speaking. I'm nearing the end of Crackdown and wondering about the future of this franchise.
Which studio would be ideal to take on (assuming acquired) Crackdown and push in a new direction. What would be the best direction for the series.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Ok guys hypothetically speaking. I'm nearing the end of Crackdown and wondering about the future of this franchise.
Which studio would be ideal to take on (assuming acquired) Crackdown and push in a new direction. What would be the best direction for the series.

Sumo i think. I don't see many contenders, but they should definitely be looking at a dev that brings a really good pitch for a modern Crackdown game. The visuals in CD3 can be breathtakingly beautiful thanks to all the neon lightning. They should definitely double down on that.

PlaintiveAlertKoi-size_restricted.gif

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I think Sumo nailed what makes Crackdown fun. Game just needs more polish and content.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Sumo. They get it. And I don't think they should push in a new direction, rather start by refining what they already have and add more varied objectives and better integration of the agents abilities (like using platforming to pursue a boss or the car to scale a building and similar). Keep the structure and make it possible to go after any objective at any time if you're clever or good enough. Stay light on story, as few cutscenes as possible. There's already enough open world games using a traditional linear structure with a story tieing things together. That's not Crackdown.

If the budget allows it, make the city more lively, but it isn't necessary. Forget about multiplayer and focus on the single player and co-op the series is known for.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
We still don't know how the campaign hud will looks like.
It's just a kestrel in horde mode dude, chill. In the right pictures you can see one of the barriers we can use in hore mode.
It don't looks gigantic
With all due respect, you wont tell me how to react to new Gears 5 material, i'm not planing to be relaxed about one of my most hyped games. And the map looks huge, someone said the same after me.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
So they will going to become third party?
No the xbox will still exist as a powerful option for gamers who want to run ganes locally (anaconda)
In theory ms would put ganepass on ps4 but sony would never allow that so we will never have halo etc on playstation
And yes people will come out of the woodwork to say "why buy an xbox all the games are on switch"
But i think after a time it will normalize like having all the games on pc did and people will realize it doesnt really even hurt console sales at all.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I believe that Switch is considered a special device like cell phones and PCs, more than anything because it is the leader of the Japanese market.
even if that the case ... if nintendo didn't publish there Games on Xbox Too...i see no benefit to Xbox owner, but Switch owner will Get Every Game (even AAA one)

We'll have to wait and see. This whole thing seems to be played up by wild speculation and rumours from relatively unknown insiders. Hopefully GDC will give us a clearer picture.
i gusee we will have to wait and see

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
No, the Xbox will still be a hardware platform.
I dont know how this will work out well, one thing is certain, they can't aim to surpass X360 numbers with Scarlett.
One thing is XCloud being available on Smartphones, a platform that lacks AAA console games, but if they put XCloud on Switch, they can't expect to be the Living room Console, PS5 will take that place.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
No the xbox will still exist as a powerful option for gamers who want to run ganes locally (anaconda)
In theory ms would put ganepass on ps4 but sony would never allow that so we will never have halo etc on playstation
And yes people will come out of the woodwork to say "why buy an xbox all the games are on switch"
But i think after a time it will normalize like having all the games on pc did and people will realize it doesnt really even hurt console sales at all.
as i said before what the benefit Xbox owner will get if there games go tho other platform...

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
even if that the case ... if nintendo didn't publish there Games on Xbox Too...i see no benefit to Xbox owner, but Switch owner will Get Every Game (even AAA one)

i gusee we will have to wait and see
Unless Microsoft is buying Nintendo it makes zero sense put all your software on another platform and still charge Xbox players for Xbox live I'll just wait and see what happens

coma

Oct 28, 2017
as i said before what the benefit Xbox owner will get if there games go tho other platform...
Way larger player base for games and (most likely) way more games being made. It'd be easier for MS to justify making games like Banjo, Ori, KI, etc. with that added install base. I barely use my Switch, but I hope this happens.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly agree with you here. MS' first and foremost goal should be to bring more content to their platform. If they don't get any content in return for bringing their content to other platforms, then they shouldn't bother.

Way larger player base for games and (most likely) way more games being made. It'd be easier for MS to justify making games like Banjo, Ori, KI, etc. with that added install base. I barely use my Switch, but I hope this happens.
KI and Ori have seemingly done fine without coming to Switch though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ These types of games usually sell well on Xbox platforms.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
If that's the case cancel the hardware go third party put it on PlayStation they have a biggest player base

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018

Third-party games, we've seen Microsoft lately get marketing from big releases to sell Xbox.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
If Ori is getting a Switch port, it really makes me believe that MS is going to acquire Moon but let them make games on the Switch as well as Xbox since their games are one of the few that can actually run natively on the Switch

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
If that's the case cancel the hardware go third party put it on PlayStation they have a biggest player base
PS will not let ms put a service on their platform.
And MS wants xbox live money.

To play a gamepass game online you need to buy xbl and gamepass
Plus I imagine MS is going to do their best to have the strongest console from now on so why bow out and let sony dictate what the specs should be?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
if nintendo didn't publish their Games on Xbox....then don't kill your hardware

that mean you Accepted defeat like Sega before

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I pray that's the case Nintendo maybe they can merge and this new Xbox can be a Nintendo product and Xbox can just be the service brand(Xbox Gamepass,Xbox Live,Xbox Gaming Studios) I love switch just wish they had a option for stronger hardware to co exist with it.

The problem is the tablet is what makes the switch expensive. You cant be as powerful as an xbox/ps and still have a mobile tablet while still being in a competitive price range.
Theyd have to release two consoles anyways, one for power, one for mobile.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
MS makes better hardware than Sony and Nintendo. Also, they make a ton of money as a platform holder. As others have pointed out, MS doesn't compete as directly with Nintendo as they do with Sony. MS/Nintendo makes the most sense. Though, if they were allowed, I bet MS would put xCloud on the PS4, but still produce their own hardware too.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If Ori is getting a Switch port, it really makes me believe that MS is going to acquire Moon but let them make games on the Switch as well as Xbox since their games are one of the few that can actually run natively on the Switch
Moon isn't for sale, Thomas keeps repeating this very recently but nobody listens.

And it's Ori and the Blind Forest getting the Switch port, which is a clever way of hooking people in to the franchise before the Xbox-exclusive sequel - which they'll either need an Xbox/W10PC to play, or to subscribe to Game Pass on their Switch.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
MS makes better hardware than Sony and Nintendo. Also, they make a ton of money as a platform holder. As others have pointed out, MS doesn't compete as directly with Nintendo as they do with Sony. MS/Nintendo makes the most sense. Though, if they were allowed, I bet MS would put xCloud on the PS4, but still produce their own hardware too.

People forget ms gets a chunk of money for every single "xbox" game sold be it retail or digital, first or third party (more if its first obviously).

No point losing that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.