• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Those investments were going to happen regardless of xCloud on Switch, as we've been seeing the past year.

Most aren't saying it's a bad thing, but if Nintendo users are getting most of the benefits, it's only fair to ask what direct benefits Xbox users get. Fairly normal consumer reaction. Why is that such a taboo thing to question here?
More consumers will always mean that Microsoft is looking to not only have quality games coming out, but also looking for ways to make their services better. As has been mentioned, better than expected sales in subscriptions could see Microsoft further diversifying their offering.

There may be nothing coming back directly from Nintendo, but indirectly, there could be a far greater incentive to invest even more in gaming because the returns justify them taking bigger risks.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
For people with only an Xbox One wondering ''And what about me!?!''

The strategy Microsoft has chosen requires a lot of investments in content and services. As an Xbox player you'll benefit as well. You will be playing the games on Gamepass natively (and besides PC) have the best versions available. Meanwhile, possibly millions of extra people will interact with the content. This will mean Microsoft IP's reaching more people, multiplayer games having bigger player pools and you, as a player, being able to play any game you like with your friends whenever you want.

Imagine you owning an Xbox Scarlett and playing Gears of War 5 and a friend comes over to your house. Normally you would only be able to play together if there was a local co-op option available. But now you could be playing together while your friend is on PC, Switch or even mobile.

This will all add towards a stronger ecosystem for everyone. But there is of course a big IF.

The content needs to be top notch. HBO has Game of Thrones. Amazon Prime has The Grand Tour (and the future Lord of the Rings series) and Netflix has Stranger Things.

Xbox will need top of the line content to fill their streaming and subscription services, both first and third party.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope Microsoft bring all their games to every platform so people will stop disregarding them regardless of how good they look simply because they're Xbox exclusive. I'm not particularly interested in streaming but if this means growth for certain franchises and properties, count me in.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Those investments were going to happen regardless of xCloud on Switch, as we've been seeing the past year.

Most aren't saying it's a bad thing, but if Nintendo users are getting most of the benefits, it's only fair to ask what direct benefits Xbox users get. Fairly normal consumer reaction. Why is that such a taboo thing to question here?
the benefits are that you can play your game library on any device.

if you are worried about OS updates, don't. That is tied to Windows and the xbox will continue to get updates.

If you are worried about third party support, don't. The same hardware that they put in their servers will run the same development platform as the console, might even be the exact same hardware. Not to mention Microsoft is continuing their progress on making PC and Xbox development easier. A broader reach via streaming and via Windows only means more developers on console, since they are the same platform.

All of this news is only good for the Microsoft Games Ecosystem, console included.

(they do need to get rid of the paid multiplayer requirement on console though..)

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Taste and all, but that's not a plus point for me ;)

Also, not that I think MS should slack, but most of the stuff on, say, Netflix is... not great.

That's an interesting thing that will happen. Will people play 'bad' games as much as people watch 'bad' Netflix movies? I'm not sure they will.

And your TGT comment is precisely the reason why MS should be investing in all kinds of content. From indies to grand scale action adventure games. From genres more geared towards console players like Crackdown to genres more geared towards PC players like Age of Empires

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I think part of the Switch/xCloud thing might be getting more Japanese developers on board with bringing their games to Xbox. If the Xbox can successfully stream games like Nioh and Nier: Automata to the Switch, I can't see a scenario where Square/Koei Tecmo doesn't bring those games to Xbox at launch. It will be interesting to see if you'll be able to stream and buy games that are on Xbox, but not included with Game Pass on the Switch.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Kind of annoying to reply to a response, then refresh the page to see a post that's basically the same response worded slightly differently. This must be how Fant feels.

So yeah, it just shows there's no direct benefit from this. Nothing lost either. Better investment? Was going to happen regardless. Still, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an Xbox user seeing those exclusives and all playable on the Switch and asking "What about me?" Because, yeah, they're Microsoft's actually customers, so what about them? Why shouldn't they push for Nintendo games to be playable on Xbox in return?

Just weird how there's so much basic port begging for Microsoft to release their stuff on everything, yet virtually no push for anyone else to release their stuff on Xbox's ecosystem.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are thinking all about the content and not the hardware. If my friend can get a switch and have both Xbox and Nintendo games, he will care less about the Xbox advantage. If my friend can get all the Xbox games and steam games on his PC, he will care zero for the Xbox hardware. I feel that the advantage of "native Xbox hardware" is being overstated with regards to the advantage of having one system that plays all Xbox games plus more.

Sure MS will still make the hardware, but I don't think it will sell nearly as much as needed to be continued long.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Kind of annoying to reply to a response, then refresh the page to see a post that's basically the same response worded slightly differently. This must be how Fant feels.

So yeah, it just shows there's no direct benefit from this. Nothing lost either. Better investment? Was going to happen regardless. Still, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an Xbox user seeing those exclusives and all playable on the Switch and asking "What about me?" Because, yeah, they're Microsoft's actually customers, so what about them? Why shouldn't they push for Nintendo games to be playable on Xbox in return?

Just weird how there's so much basic port begging for Microsoft to release their stuff on everything, yet virtually no push for anyone else to release their stuff on Xbox's ecosystem.

''So yeah, it just shows there's no direct benefit from this.''

There is. Investments in content & streaming. Larger player pools. More brand recognition for IP's like Halo, Gears, etc.

Why does it matter if someone is playing against you on a Switch or on an Xbox? If Microsoft makes more money isn't really your problem, is it?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are thinking all about the content and not the hardware. If my friend can get a switch and have both Xbox and Nintendo games, he will care less about the Xbox advantage. If my friend can get all the Xbox games and steam games on his PC, he will care zero for the Xbox hardware. I feel that the advantage of "native Xbox hardware" is being overstated with regards to the advantage of having one system that plays all Xbox games plus more.

Sure MS will still make the hardware, but I don't think it will sell nearly as much as needed to be continued long.
Xbox Hardware will still get massive investments because they will put that stuff in datacenters as well. So I wouldn't worry. Kinda guarantees that Microsoft will bring out some impressive hardware since games will be less of a deciding factor for retail consumers. So they will have to hit it out of the park if they want people to buy it.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Nothing has even been announced yet. We have no clue what the details are going to be or what people are going to get out of it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

If you are fine with streaming then you weren't swayed by the Xbox hardware advantage anyway. But I agree this will make the Xbox as a piece of plastic less interesting. As a platform to develop games for it's a different story.

But are you attached to a box or to the content it delivers? I choose the latter.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

The advantage of Xbox hardware would be not having to stream games. I currently stream X1 games to my Surface when my wife or kids are watching something. It works fine for the most part, odd stutter here and there, but I tend to avoid playing graphic showcases that way, as you lose a lot of fidelity. So having my X1X would still be valid, as there's no way I'd want to miss out playing Gears 5 or Halo Infinite in their full glory, and I'd guess that'd ring true for most folks.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Those investments were going to happen to a point, but they need money to make them, and customers to justify them. Microsoft may be one of the richest companies in the world, but if there isn't more money coming in and more customers being added that's only temporary. And more customers and sales for Xbox means more money right now to make and justify those kinds of investments.

I know it's a vocal minority that don't think this is a good thing, but I've seen people that go so far as to be upset at the prospect and I just don't get it.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
But are you attached to a box or to the content it delivers? I choose the latter.

Fanboyism is all about the boxes and the boxes are going to go away eventually regardless of how XCloud does. IMO MS is being smart in going in early . MS has always lagged behind the trend and it has cost them dearly. It definitely means they will take a hit on hardware sales but they are big enough to take it and the bigger picture is more important to them.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017

Relic acquisition when?

Logically a designated studio around the AOE franchise makes sense. Reaches a big enough audience while offering opportunities for expansion with esports and spin-off titles. Gives more pc presense for MS.

Easily sit with Halo, Gears, Forza as a staple for MS if given the right support.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
''So yeah, it just shows there's no direct benefit from this.''

There is. Investments in content & streaming. Larger player pools. More brand recognition for IP's like Halo, Gears, etc.

Why does it matter if someone is playing against you on a Switch or on an Xbox? If Microsoft makes more money isn't really your problem, is it?
You're assuming I have a problem with this plan, when I don't. It's pretty neat and I see virtually no downsides. I'm just not overzealous about it, and I don't see the benefits that you do amounting to a whole lot.

Bigger investment? Already happening and will continue, with or without Switch.

More players? True, but if a game was in such a state that I had to worry about its multiplayer population, it's likely a problem with the game itself not attracting people's attention, and not the population pool on the systems.

Brand recognition? True as well, but that's again more of a problem with marketing and the game itself, rather than accessibility.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, I am fine. But if you tell me my experience and games will be the same on a PC or Xbox, I will just get a new PC and not get the Xbox Hardware. I have always done both because of the games on the console. I guess ultimately they make more money that way, so it is what it is!

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
It's Amazing if i Can play ori on my Switch ! I was being happy with playing Microsoft game on smartphone but it will be way better on my Switch !
For Microsoft , their userbase for gamepass can be way bigger than before thanks to this !

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Fanboyism is all about the boxes and the boxes are going to go away eventually regardless of how XCloud does. IMO MS is being smart in going in early . MS has always lagged behind the trend and it has cost them dearly. It definitely means they will take a hit on hardware sales but they are big enough to take it and the bigger picture is more important to them.
Why is every question regarding Microsoft's plans dumbed down to "Lolz fanbois". It's disingenuous and quite frankly annoying.

Plus your comment on boxes going away eventually is why some don't like the direction it could lead to. Sure it's a choice, now, but it's not really a choice if it has an expiration date ticking away on it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
You're assuming I have a problem with this plan, when I don't. It's pretty neat and I see virtually no downsides. I'm just not overzealous about it, and I don't see the benefits that you do amounting to a whole lot.

Bigger investment? Already happening and will continue, with or without Switch.

More players? True, but if a game was in such a state that I had to worry about its multiplayer population, it's likely a problem with the game itself not attracting people's attention, and not the population pool on the systems.

Brand recognition? True as well, but that's again more of a problem with marketing and the game itself, rather than accessibility.

Let's just say I disagree. I truly believe this investment in content has been done and will continue to happen because of xCloud and Game Pass. And because of the prospect of Game Pass coming to the Switch.

Games like Gears Tactics, Wasteland and Pillars of Eternity are perfect for the Switch. A game like Age of Empires is perfect for PC. These investments wouldn't have been made if they didn't want to reach a core audience.

I'll just leave your other two arguments. I disagree with them as I think a bigger player pool is always better. The crossplay statistics show that. (Even if the original player pool is healthy enough on its own)

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Why is every question regarding Microsoft's plans dumbed down to "Lolz fanbois". It's disingenuous and quite frankly annoying.

Plus your comment on boxes going away eventually is why some don't like the direction it could lead to. Sure it's a choice, now, but it's not really a choice if it has an expiration date ticking away on it.
local hardware will only go away when cloud streaming is much more mature. aka decades from now. even still, there will always be local hardware. people still buy dvds, music records etc... you shouldn't worry. this just means more choices for you as a consumer, not less.

step away from the keyboard and take deep breath. everything is going to be ok.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe we will see no xbox hardware in the future, release all of games on other platforms

That's so far away. I know Matt alluded on it, but if next gen also lasts 6-7 years we'll be talking about this in 2026. So much will be different by that time. 5G will be available to everyone in the Western world and who knows how mobile gaming will have evolved.

For now, Xbox is making a box and by the looks of it, it's going to be quite a decent box.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Which is trickle down. So it has no effect on me. Since I will use my PC for any Xbox game/subscription and such, but I do have friends who are upset. They will just get a switch or such to play the Xbox games. I am sure MS knows what they are doing I guess.

its not like the games are natively playing on the switch. When I played assassin creed odyseey on google stream it was good but not great. I wouldn't mistake that project stream version of odyssey for xbox one version let alone a native pc version.

This is something that provides more ways to play your games but its, not a replacement. The best possible way to play an xbox game will be natively on xbox or pc. But, if you're stuck in the doctor's office there isnothing wrong with breaking out your phone or switch and playing xbox games. Or if you got 60 minutes between classes on campus, etc. These are just more ways to access the content you are paying for which is great. How can anyone be upset with more access to your gaming library?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
local hardware will only go away when cloud streaming is much more mature. aka decades from now. even still, there will always be local hardware. people still by dvds, music records etc... you shouldn't worry. this just means more choices for you as a consumer, not less.

step away from the keyboard and take deep breath. everything is going to be ok.
Being condescending gets you nowhere.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018

Its not disingenuous at all. If Ms decides to bring their games to multiple platforms and people have a problem with it just because people who dont own the hardware they do get to enjoy these games then it is fanboyism, plain and simple. You still get to enjoy those games but so do potentially millions of others.

About the boxes going away, its progress. Music, Movies, TV everything has gone that way. PC games is almost completely digital now anyways , streaming is just the next step. It ok to be apprehensive about the tech but like you said the current way of playing games has an expiration date

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
its not like the games are natively playing on the switch. When I played assassin creed odyseey on google stream it was good but not great. I wouldn't mistake that project stream version of odyssey for xbox one version let alone a native pc version.

But, if you're stuck in the doctor's office there isnothing wrong with breaking out your phone or switch and playing xbox games.

You wont be able to play Switch Game Pass outside of your home, as Nintendo doesnt have cellular. It only has Wifi.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Either way, I am fine. But if you tell me my experience and games will be the same on a PC or Xbox, I will just get a new PC and not get the Xbox Hardware. I have always done both because of the games on the console. I guess ultimately they make more money that way, so it is what it is!

You say that, but an Xbox is probably cheaper than a good PC, and an Xbox One X is cheaper than a really high end PC.

But I can't cary my Xbox or my gaming PC on the train, so I've got my Switch, or if I can't afford a switch, I've got a phone.

That's the point. Every person that wants to play an Xbox game can, wherever they are. If they want the best possible graphics, they can play on PC, if they want good graphics but can't afford or don't understand a PC, they can get an Xbox, if they want portable, they can get a Switch, or play on a laptop. If they're suddenly on an unexpected trip and they forget their laptop or their Switch and they're suddenly stuck in an airport terminal or a hotel with nothing to do, they can pull out their phone and play Crackdown for a few hours.

Microsoft can sell Xbox games or Gamepass subscriptions to more people than ever, wherever they are, whether they are core gamers or just bored parents at a PTA meeting that is running long. And that means more money, and more games, and more studios, and bigger partnerships. And maybe in all the darkness, we can finally get Peggle 3 somehow.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you can play Halo on switch, that would be 720p on tablet mode and 1080p output to tv. For best experience you'd still need Xbox/pc.

if it helps to keep the multiplayer numbers up, that's good for Xbox players.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you can play Halo on switch, that would be 720p on tablet mode and 1080p output to tv. For best experience you'd still need Xbox/pc.

if it helps to keep the multiplayer numbers up, that's good for Xbox players.

I'm all in for Halo on Switch, the option to take my favorite series on the go is great, but honestly that game -even docked- would run at sub HD resolutions on the Switch just like all the other AAA third party titles, it would not be the ideal place to play at all.

If this all pans out as they say, People will still buy an Xbox to play Xbox games, especially if Xbox launchs a home console that is price competitive with the Switch but much more powerful. This just gives more options to multi-console owners and opens up a new markets to folks who own a PS4/Switch but not an Xbox.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How fast are those mobile hotspots though? I think 5G will help a lot with streaming, but not so sure on 4G.

No idea about streaming but it allows me to play online with a good ping. And yeah, xCloud is with 5G in mind for sure, 4G may work well with certain games but even having an extra 0.05 second of input lag could murder some games' enjoyability.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
No idea about streaming but it allows me to play online with a good ping. And yeah, xCloud is with 5G in mind for sure, 4G may work well with certain games but even having an extra 0.05 second of input lag could murder some games' enjoyability.
I think 5G will be absolutely essential if you plan to stream without wifi. I think 4G will be pretty bad for streaming.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 5G will be absolutely essential if you plan to stream without wifi. I think 4G will be pretty bad for streaming.

5G will be a gamechanger for sure. Being able to stream HD quality (at least) with minimum delay is going to change the future of gaming for sure, and I'm happy Microsoft seems to be the ahead of the curve in making it happen. That they'll already have the thing ready to go this year is telling.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
How fast are those mobile hotspots though? I think 5G will help a lot with streaming, but not so sure on 4G.

Microsoft has some pretty aggressive targets in terms of bandwidth, 10mbps if I'm remembering that right, which is even lower than what the Project Stream demo from Google recommended. For some perspective, Amazon and Netflix recommended between 15 and 25 mbps for streaming 4k content.

Latency is obviously still the white whale here, but the fact that Crackdown 3 Wrecking Zone actually works is a pretty good sign in that regard.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion Microsoft Xbox is definitely leading the way in gamer choice, which ultimately should make all of us as consumers extremely happy unless you are someone who wants to fixate on NPD hardware numbers and hoping others can't play the games that you love for some reason. IF they were not (1) giving us great hardware choices for next generation as already confirmed (frankly they will continue to make great hardware until nobody feels the need to do so in the console space too) and (2) investing heavily in game content with studio acquisitions (which sounds like we will get several more possibly this year too) then I would obviously be upset and worried about Xbox as my primary gaming platform.

But man, sign me up for a gaming future where I can play my Xbox games primarily on this next gen 'Anaconda' console on my 4K HDR 65" TV in my living room (Phil Spencer has said numerous times that this is his own preferred way to play games on a console on his TV), yet also continue to play them wherever the heck else they can get them for me such as the Switch that I own for playing a couple of select Nintendo exclusives that I care about. That is "for the gamer" if there ever was.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
You wont be able to play Switch Game Pass outside of your home, as Nintendo doesnt have cellular. It only has Wifi.

I guess for me, the campus of my alma mater has wifi throughout as does my doctors office, star bucks etc. But I do see your point. A lot of places don't have wifi available and the switch's lack of cellular is a valid point.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all so exciting.

I don't think people realize what it means that Microsoft thinks it can reach 2 billion gamers through streaming. The current market cap of console gaming is 200-250 million. We are talking about a 10x increase in players from streaming. If it pays off like Microsoft estimates, this would be a massive boost to the gaming industry, as a whole. And would give Xbox first party an unprecedented level of funding.

Remember that all of these streamed games run on console hardware that is ported to server racks. So even though the bulk of users will come from streaming, the games will still be built natively for the Xbox consoles.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Brad Sams said he can't verify that Game Pass is coming to the Switch but he knows Microsoft would want it to. Also Microsoft is exploring Game Pass on Smart TVs. And reiterated that Xcloud will start testing 2nd half 2019. So if Switch was getting Game Pass, then it will happen in 2020 at the earliest. Nothing really new, but interesting.

But he did mention that we will hear some cool game pass news at E3, not game coming to game pass related but something else. I'd guess Microsoft will announce Game Pass for Windows 10 at E3.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally bet on 60s for Crackdown 3 but holy shit I did not expect Anthem to do worse. As it stands now, Anthem has a lower score than Crackdown 3 on OpenCritic, although console version reviews yet have to drop as the review copies for those were sent out late. All this is telling me is that there's still a lot of untapped potential in the genre, and Microsoft has the infrastructure to pull it off properly.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

You're still thinking in the traditional hardware sense. This, is beyond that. Microsoft are first and foremost a software company. Their playing to their strengths with Game Pass. Yet, traditional, local hardware will remain an important factor - a focus for those who want the best experience possible for their games. It's an an option and, the best option for those who want the superior Xbox experience. But its not the primary focus to garner revenue for the Xbox division. Software and services are. They make much more money via GP and services versus hardware. In fact, when taken in context of today's rumors, there's clearly two agendas when speaking on hardware and services when Xbox is concerned now.

Ive been saying for a while now that hardware is just one part of a much larger picture. Microsoft doesnt care if your friend opts to just get GP on his Switch or PC instead of him buying the Xbox hardware. They are literally giving him the option to experience their games any way he wants to. They still profit from it.

It's pretty fricken brill, in my opinion.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
My only concern would be the cross pollination of native players and xcloud players in online competitive gaming. Streaming is infinitely more impressive than I ever imagined it being at this stage in the technology, but there's still an advantage in terms of input lag by playing natively. Is there any way to have xCloud only matchmaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.