• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I just can get why anyone would get upset bcos another person can get to play an Xbox game like them using an Xbox app on another device Or platform..why would whoever else playing your kind of game be your concern..should t not be about what you want and what a platform can offer you whether you like consoles or others..how can anyone say they are upset or done with Xbox bcos another person can play their kind of game using an app by their preferred platform on another device or platform..I just don't see the logic..we all thought it's about fun and having access to the games and pro consumer freedom of choice but hey ho this is a course for meltdown for some people

I'm kind of coming to understand the concern, that Xbox will a become second class citizens, because Microsoft will start prioritizing other more successful platforms.

This made sense 5 years ago, but with X-Cloud being the primary way Xbox is going to reach other platforms, there's zero chance of that happening.

All the games on all the other platforms are still gonna be running on Xbox hardware. And since Microsoft is manufacturing and improving those blades, they'll keep selling consumer consoles as long as people are buying them.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
I'm kind of coming to understand the concern, that Xbox will a become second class citizens, because Microsoft will start prioritizing other more successful platforms.

This made sense 5 years ago, but with X-Cloud being the primary way Xbox is going to reach other platforms, there's zero chance of that happening.

All the games on all the other platforms are still gonna be running on Xbox hardware. And since Microsoft is manufacturing and improving those blades, they'll keep selling consumer consoles as long as people are buying them.
People with the view that "Xbox will become second class citizen" will have a point if there is evidence that the Xbox console will have less quality games or hardware and software as a result of xcloud,streaming it gamepass being on other platforms..but that's not the case..the out rage seems to be merely about gamepass been on a different platform so according to them complaints they are losing their "golden exclusivity power"...I ask myself what has that got to do with a person buying a console and enjoying the games that they prefer whether that game is in another platform through your preferred platform should not be a matter of concern as you are accessing your preferred platform and preferred games.. for me all this trying to have one over another platform is unnecessary at this point if u can access quality and variety of games at relatively cheap prices

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I want to see if this brings more jp games to xbox, if it does I'm happy with the move as I'll feel as a xbox owner for years that I got something out of it.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
People with the view that "Xbox will become second class citizen" will have a point if there is evidence that the Xbox console will have less quality games or hardware and software as a result of xcloud,streaming it gamepass being on other platforms..but that's not the case..the out rage seems to be merely about gamepass been on a different platform so according to them complaints they are losing their "golden exclusivity power"...I ask myself what has that got to do with a person buying a console and enjoying the games that they prefer whether that game is in another platform through your preferred platform should not be a matter of concern as you are accessing your preferred platform and preferred games.. for me all this trying to have one over another platform is unnecessary at this point if u can access quality and variety of games at relatively cheap prices
It's more that if you buy a Switch you get the Nintendo library AND the MS library but if you buy an Xbox you only get the MS library.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I want to see if this brings more jp games to xbox, if it does I'm happy with the move as I'll feel as a xbox owner for years that I got something out of it.
This could be the ticket into the Japanese market for Xbox, so that Xbox-only gamers do manage to get a big tangible benefit of their own. MS was never going to break into Japan, they tried and failed during the 360 years. But Nintendo might be able to help them get a dialogue going with Japanese devs.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's more that if you buy a Switch you get the Nintendo library AND the MS library but if you buy an Xbox you only get the MS library.

You get the Xbox Game Pass library streaming IF you pay for the Game Pass subscription to Microsoft of course, and if you get an Xbox then you get all Xbox games playing natively on the hardware.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
If you buy an Xbox you are supposed to get the MS library and that won't change if the rumors are true..people who are accessing it on switch will pay for an Xbox app only on a different laptop why would you care what another person on another platform is getting when you bought an Xbox to enjoy its library and that's what you are getting?..unless u r obsessed with saying you have the best platform than another platform then this shouldn't be an issue because at the end of the day you're paying for a console and getting the library of Microsoft which should be the main focus not what is happening elsewhere

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I'm not a fanboy at all, and I don't really think it benefits me to the extent you think it will. Not saying it's bad, but when you look at what the Switch user's will get (AAA games, Xbox exclusives) there aren't really any direct benefits for Xbox users on that scale. It's a huge win for Switch users, Nintendo, Microsoft and a... mild improvement for Xbox-only users.

You guys are really quick to throw the "fanboy" and "plastic box" buzzwords out at any questions about this.
Yeah, i'm not a Fanboy neither and i dont see the benefit.
And im saying this as a PC gamer, i dont own a "plastic box"
If i'm feeling threatened is because i thought Xbox and PC were brothers and hell... It looks like the Switch (a complete stranger) will take Halo TMCC first than US.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a fanboy at all, and I don't really think it benefits me to the extent you think it will. Not saying it's bad, but when you look at what the Switch user's will get (AAA games, Xbox exclusives) there aren't really any direct benefits for Xbox users on that scale. It's a huge win for Switch users, Nintendo, Microsoft and a... mild improvement for Xbox-only users.

You guys are really quick to throw the "fanboy" and "plastic box" buzzwords out at any questions about this.
Why do you care if Switch owners gets to stream xbox games? Literally everyone with a phone/smart tv will be able to stream xbox games. That's how streaming is going to work, ms needs to be on every possible device if they want to become the "netflix of videogames".

Most of us here is going to play xbox games on console (or PC) natively anyway. Like, no way I'm going to play next gen games via streaming lol, it's just a cool option to have.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So as an Xbox One owner (I actually own them all) but humor me. How does it benefit me if all the Xbox games can be played on a Nintendo system, but not the other way around?

1. How does it hurt you?
2. More consumers and more diverse demographic of people to consume an ecosystem means more games and more investment in the platform

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So as an Xbox One owner (I actually own them all) but humor me. How does it benefit me if all the Xbox games can be played on a Nintendo system, but not the other way around?
Larger player counts so your favourite online experiences have a tougher time dying prolly.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Kind of annoying to reply to a response, then refresh the page to see a post that's basically the same response worded slightly differently. This must be how Fant feels.

So yeah, it just shows there's no direct benefit from this. Nothing lost either. Better investment? Was going to happen regardless.Still, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an Xbox user seeing those exclusives and all playable on the Switch and asking "What about me?" Because, yeah, they're Microsoft's actually customers, so what about them? Why shouldn't they push for Nintendo games to be playable on Xbox in return?

Just weird how there's so much basic port begging for Microsoft to release their stuff on everything, yet virtually no push for anyone else to release their stuff on Xbox's ecosystem.

Business 101...

ROI (return on investment)

Gaming is not a charity to Microsoft. It is a business. Investment needs return. Massive corporations like Microsoft don't mess around with small returns. It's opportunity cost. In order to justify massive investment in a diverse portfolio of games for the platform and Game Pass, there needs to be high potential return. This requires exponentially expanding their reach. A walled garden of plastic limits reach.

Investment in studios and employees creates a large ongoing fixed cost. Selling plastic doesn't have much margin therefore more console sales won't return that cost. Additional Game Pass subscriptions is all margin. It's how they'll be able to justify to Microsoft investors to keep reinvesting in Game Pass content.

Microsoft doesn't have room for hobbies or cute side business that barely make money in the big picture. The reason they're going all in on gaming is the potential to reach many more gamers. So yes, this investment in content is based on this strategy. If it's successful, will result in more investment. If it's not and Game Pass is a niche product reaching only a portion of 40 million Xbox plastic owners, the ongoing cost of employees who make videogames will be cut.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
You get the Xbox Game Pass library streaming IF you pay for the Game Pass subscription to Microsoft of course, and if you get an Xbox then you get all Xbox games playing natively on the hardware.
1. How does it hurt you?
2. More consumers and more diverse demographic of people to consume an ecosystem means more games and more investment in the platform
Larger player counts so your favourite online experiences have a tougher time dying prolly.
Do you guys not see how shitty of an answer these remarks are? MS puts games on other platforms and in exchange gets to play games natively on hardware (which is already happening). That's not an exchange, that's a give away.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Do you guys not see how shitty of an answer these remarks are? MS puts games on other platforms and in exchange gets to play games natively on hardware (which is already happening). That's not an exchange, that's a give away.

No I don't. Microsoft sells more games. Equals higher investment into content and Game Pass. The games and services I pay for are now more mobile. I'll have an option to play the content I purchased in the highest quality on my Oled and an option on the go. Microsoft now being able to sell content where Nintendo is means they can diversify further and also attract more Japanese developers to Game Pass.

Microsoft announced that they want to be on every device at the same time they announced they bought 5 studios (which shortly thereafter turned into 7). This followed a period of them being in the traditional console business where they did nothing but cut cost on game development. None of this is a coincidence. You're going to get more content on the platform because they are not limited to 45 million consumers mostly in the same market.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I think there's definitely an argument to be made that MS making their games available on more platforms than Xbox alone undermines the reason to buy one. But I feel like it's a pretty weak argument to make, as ultimately it doesn't impair your experience in any way beyond the feeling that your experience isn't quite as 'exclusive'.

Personally, any 'loyalty' I have to Xbox is really only due to them having several franchises that are near and dear to me (Halo, Forza Horizon, Fable, and anything Rare). Anything that will improve those franchises, and contribute to a larger and deeper community around them, I'm in favor of. I would love little more than to see the internet pining for a new Halo, Fable, Obisidian RPG or Rare title in the way that people are currently for Cyberpunk 2077, or did for RDR2 and Smash.

Last edited:

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Suuure. Like Netflix give away all their content because they don't sell a dedicated Netflix box that should have exclusive access to Netflix content, right?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think there's definitely an argument to be made that MS making their games available on more platforms than Xbox alone undermines the reason to buy one. But I feel like it's a pretty weak argument to make, as ultimately it doesn't impair your experience in any way beyond the feeling that your experience isn't quite as 'exclusive'.

Personally any loyalty I have to Xbox is really only due to them having several franchises that are near and dear to me (Halo, Forza Horizon, Fable, and anything Rare). Anything that will improve those franchises and contribute to a larger and deeper community I'm in favour of.

If people are limited on gaming budget (which I understand) and the choice is either a Switch to play Nintendo exclusives and stream Xbox or an Xbox to play 1st and 3rd party games locally, most people who were Xbox gamers will still choose Xbox. It's still the premium place to play those games. You can still use all your Xbox controllers and peripherals there.

There won't be a huge loss of the 45 million plastic owners over this. It's more of a complimentary product and way to get Switch only owners to buy Microsoft services.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Suuure. Like Netflix give away all their content because they don't sell a dedicated Netflix box that should have exclusive access to Netflix content, right?
That's a false equivalency. Games are different from tv shows. It's a different medium, a different means of interacting, and a different means of purchasing. And the stakes are different. Netflix started at the top, Microsoft is not afforded that luxury.

Personally, any 'loyalty' I have to Xbox is really only due to them having several franchises that are near and dear to me (Halo, Forza Horizon, Fable, and anything Rare). Anything that will improve those franchises, and contribute to a larger and deeper community around them, I'm in favor of. I would love little more than to see the internet pining for a new Halo, Fable, Obisidian RPG or Rare title in the way that people are currently for Cyberpunk 2077, or did for RDR2 and Smash.
It has nothing to do with investment into the franchises that they've already been investing in for 15+ years and weren't going away anyway. The exchange between Microsoft and Nintendo yields nothing new for Microsoft. Only Nintendo customers are getting a benefit.
No I don't. Microsoft sells more games. Equals higher investment into content and Game Pass. The games and services I pay for are now more mobile. I'll have an option to play the content I purchased in the highest quality on my Oled and an option on the go. Microsoft now being able to sell content where Nintendo is means they can diversify further and also attract more Japanese developers to Game Pass.

Microsoft announced that they want to be on every device at the same time they announced they bought 5 studios (which shortly thereafter turned into 7). This followed a period of them being in the traditional console business where they did nothing but cut cost on game development. None of this is a coincidence. You're going to get more content on the platform because they are not limited to 45 million consumers mostly in the same market.
This is a very good PR response for Microsoft but it's not one word about what Xbox owners get out of an exchange with Nintendo, which you refuse to answer. As I said earlier, MS will never ever stop making more halo gears and Forza. They already invest in that indefinitely. And they already invested in studios, allegedly more are on the way. So what exactly is the extra investment needed for? They've already promised a ton more based on what they were willing to invest at this point.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
If people are limited on gaming budget (which I understand) and the choice is either a Switch to play Nintendo exclusives and stream Xbox or an Xbox to play 1st and 3rd party games locally, most people who were Xbox gamers will still choose Xbox. It's still the premium place to play those games. You can still use all your Xbox controllers and peripherals there.

There won't be a huge loss of the 45 million plastic owners over this. It's more of a complimentary product and way to get Switch only owners to buy Microsoft services.
Of course, and I feel that's super evident from looking at MS' 2 SKUS for next-generation - if you want the cheapest point-of-entry to play the latest COD, FIFA, etc. you buy Lockhart, while if money's little object and you want the best COD, FIFA, etc. experience you buy Anaconda. THEREAFTER, if Microsoft still can't convince you to buy into their ecosystem, then they'll try through the backdoor with mobile, PC, Switch, smart TV, and streaming box. It's clever, and should substantially expand their reach beyond the traditional single piece of hardware.

It has nothing to do with investment into the franchises that they've already been investing in for 15+ years and weren't going away anyway. The exchange between Microsoft and Nintendo yields nothing new for Microsoft. Only Nintendo customers are getting a benefit.
Except it does? With a bigger customer-base, and incidentally more sales, there's potential to support deeper investments. Budgets are always set as a function of how many sales/how much profit they expect to make. If they expect to make more profit, they will scale the budget appropriately games.

Not to mention the other investment opportunities a larger install base opens up. As we're already seeing with Halo Wars 2 and Gears Tactics, opening up to other platforms has provided Microsoft greater financial security to invest in unorthodox titles. In supporting Switch, there's potential for MS to bring entire new demographics into the fold. Now they might be able to justify investing in Japanese games, or even 'money-hatting' other titles.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This is a very good PR response for Microsoft but it's not one word about what Xbox owners get out of an exchange with Nintendo, which you refuse to answer. As I said earlier, MS will never ever stop making more halo gears and Forza. They already invest in that indefinitely. And they already invested in studios, allegedly more are on the way. So what exactly is the extra investment needed for? They've already promised a ton more based on what they were willing to invest at this point.

I've answered. You get more games. More mobility options with the Xbox games you purchase.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's highly unlikely at this point but I would love it if Game Pass was to go to PlayStation 5. That would be awesome for me. $10 for a month to play an exclusive that im actually interested in playing while saving $500+ from not having to buy an Xbox console, don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting due to lack of room plus I still get PlayStation 5 exclusives and third party games. Granted, I don't see this happening whatsoever but it would be awesome for me if it does.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's highly unlikely at this point but I would love it if Game Pass was to go to PlayStation 5. That would be awesome for me. $10 for a month to play an exclusive that im actually interested in playing while saving $500+ from not having to buy an Xbox console, don't have to keep connecting/disconnecting due to lack of room plus I still get PlayStation 5 exclusives and third party games. Granted, I don't see this happening whatsoever but it would be awesome for me if it does.
yeah would be nice. i am sure Microsoft would love to put all of their services on the Playstation, but those directly compete with Sony's so yeah, won't happen.

(it will probably come to the smart tv that you play your ps5 on though).

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Sony will not allow it if history is anything to go by. They have not put any of their games out on day one on their console so it is unlikely that they will allow a competing subscription service to come in and do that on their platform.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
yeah would be nice. i am sure Microsoft would love to put all of their services on the Playstation, but those directly compete with Sony's so yeah, won't happen.

There is zero way that I am playing Halo Infinite and all of their other awesome exclusives to come on primarily streaming, these will deserve native Xbox Anaconda console hardware to experience. I will happily play Xbox games when away from my TV on a Switch or other mobile device.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
we dont even know all of the facts and yet we have some heated guess work on how bad it is or will be. man, this is crazy lol

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Restating the opinion that "Xbox Exclusive", "Console Exclusive", and "Launch Exclusive" should all just be folded into "Xbox Original".

Now there's a name I haven't heard since the OG Xbox days.

0P0Ck3b.jpg

That looks very, very nice. I dig it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So give away Halo Infinite on competitive platforms so you can maybe, hopefully, ideally, get Ys 9 and Oninaki on Xbox? Sound logic.

You seem to not understand my words.

Personally I think this detox of bitter fanboys being puked up by these potential announcements will be good for the community long term. While some of you are burning your Xbox fanboy jerseys, I'll be looking forward to inviting a larger community of gamers and enjoy more Game Pass content. Less of this shit will be a nice side benefit.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
That's a false equivalency. Games are different from tv shows. It's a different medium, a different means of interacting, and a different means of purchasing. And the stakes are different. Netflix started at the top, Microsoft is not afforded that luxury.

Netflix definitely did not it start at the top, they started out renting DVDs through the post office and competing with massive chains like Blockbuster. They got to streaming first, but if they'd gotten there without the money to license and make content, someone like HBO could have just steamrolled them.

You say they've been investing in them for 15 years and they aren't going away, but what about Lionhead, one of Microsofts oldest, most well known first parties? They axed it because the Xbox wasnt doing well and they weren't attracting new players, which is what this move does. And what about new franchises? More money means more of those, and more studios potentially. Yeah, the immediate game is for Switch owners, but there are long term gains.

I guess if you're asking what direct benefit there is to someone that exclusively plays on Xbox and only games at home, then yeah, there isn't any. But like, if that's you than you're also not the whole market. For you, there's no immediate direct benefit, but for someone who has never owned an Xbox, or someone that travels, or someone that already invested in a Switch or a PS5, or someone that doesn't have room for an Xbox, or someone who takes public transportation, it's a big deal.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing reminded me of when Windows Phone MS apps went to Android and iOS.

There was a little salt from the dozen of us who owned WP but that soon turned into a magical thing and we no longer gave a fuck. MS apps are the best thing onmy Android phone. Outlook is a beast.

I'm so hyped to see MS efforts on Switch. Hope it's not just streaming and there is some clever stuff there. There is a great chance games like Banjo and Viva Pinata doing better on handheld and a family friendly device not to mention other mobile devices so get hyped.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Considering Iron Galaxy has experience doing Switch ports and Killer Instinct's business model, the game getting a massive influx of new players would be great to see.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing reminded me of when Windows Phone MS apps went to Android and iOS.

There was a little salt from the dozen of us who owned WP but that soon turned into a magical thing and we no longer gave a fuck. MS apps are the best thing onmy Android phone. Outlook is a beast.

I'm so hyped to see MS efforts on Switch. Hope it's not just streaming and there is some clever stuff there. There is a great chance games like Banjo and Viva Pinata doing better on handheld and a family friendly device not to mention other mobile devices so get hyped.
It seems impossible now that it wasn't that long ago that MS having their email software on iOS and Android was a bit controversal.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Why do you care if Switch owners gets to stream xbox games? Literally everyone with a phone/smart tv will be able to stream xbox games. That's how streaming is going to work, ms needs to be on every possible device if they want to become the "netflix of videogames".

Most of us here is going to play xbox games on console (or PC) natively anyway. Like, no way I'm going to play next gen games via streaming lol, it's just a cool option to have.
I don't care, I'm just questioning the benefits people think this will have on Xbox users. There's nothing wrong with questioning things, it's an important part of our society. Plus I'm getting annoyed at everyone complaining about "Fanboys" and constantly using the term "plastic box".
If (again, if) Switch user's don't have to pay for XBL to use those online services, there's absolutely a case to make for Xbox users being treated second-class.

Again, just to be clear, I don't think xCloud on Switch is a bad thing. But I feel you guys are heavily exaggerating the positives for Xbox-only users when they don't really gain anything from it.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
It seems impossible now that it wasn't that long ago that MS having their email software on iOS and Android was a bit controversal.

Funny ain't it?

I like Satya's vision of MS everywhere. I just hope he keeps MS as a hardware company alive because they have produced my fav devices for years.

The Intellimouse, Xbox 360 and X, the controllers and Surface. You can have all the software in the world but these devices is why I keep coming back. Trying my best to forget the various WPs I bought. :(

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Funny ain't it?

I like Satya's vision of MS everywhere. I just hope he keeps MS as a hardware company alive because they have produced my fav devices for years.

The Intellimouse, Xbox 360 and X, the controllers and Surface. You can have all the software in the world but these devices is why I keep coming back. Trying my best to forget the various WPs I bought. :(
If you miss the ui, check out launcher 10 on android. Turns your home screen into a Windows phone with live tiles. It's amazing.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
You seem to not understand my words.

Personally I think this detox of bitter fanboys being puked up by these potential announcements will be good for the community long term. While some of you are burning your Xbox fanboy jerseys, I'll be looking forward to inviting a larger community of gamers and enjoy more Game Pass content. Less of this shit will be a nice side benefit.

Statements exactly like this are unhelpful, and annoying. You're being condescending and dumbing down any response that's skeptical of these plans as "Lulz, fanbois gonna fanboi". When you word things like that, of course he's not going to understand your words. Why would he want to?

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Again, just to be clear, I don't think xCloud on Switch is a bad thing. But I feel you guys are heavily exaggerating the positives for Xbox-only users when they don't really gain anything from it.
Instead people need to pivot to think about "Xbox gaming" as being about a platform, not about the hardware. You can access the Xbox gaming platform natively via an Xbox Console (or in some cases via pc) , or via Xbox Cloud on pc, switch, etc.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I miss my 1020 and its beastly camera </3

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Xbox-only users gain a lot from it, even if Nintendo games don't come to Xbox. A larger user base and more revenue enable larger investments in Xbox content and deals, and everyone stands to profit from that.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
The hope would be
1. Bigger player base for multiplayer, as well as crossplay.
2. Easier to sign devs onboard, especially indie and Japanese ones. Such as Xbox/game pass exclusives, which technically could be played on switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.