• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No, it's really not. One PR guy making a mistake shouldn't mean a boycott on the entire company. Such a ridiculous overreaction.

I'm sure plenty of terrible people use Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, should we boycott companies who use and do AMAs on those sites?

And yes, they did officially condemn the site: https://www.trueachievements.com/n36716/thq-nordic-issues-official-statement-on-8chan-ama
Yea good point, forgot that THQ Nordic's parent company with the same name (XD) did come out with the statement. Things have moved quickly. I know some people were underwhelmed by it, but they said what I wanted them to say - actually apologize, condemn 8Chan, promise policy changes. I do hope that we can have an open look in at what those changes actually look like (Riot is being fairly open about some of their changes), because saying and doing are very different. I don't personally care if people are fired, but I care very much that structures are in place to prevent this in the future and to unambiguously drop the hammer, per solid indisputable policy, if it happens again. Anyway, that's me.

Probably, yeah. Isn't Duke a parody on the FPS genre? Using the most infamous example of a game in dev hell doesn't help.

It's like pointing to Aliens: Colonial Marines and saying "Do you think an Aliens game could really work today"?
I didn't say "Haha Duke Nukem Forever SUCKKED". I said, do you think taking the core of the character of Duke Nukem and rendering him FAITHFULLY works in 2019? And the honest answer is no.

I feel like Conker could be dragged kicking and screaming in to the modern age, keep the foul mouthed squirrel and maybe ditch the poo and flowers?

Fable, I'm sorry but I can't reply to this and not address Fable it's my thing, is a bit different but I do see your point. A lot of what made Fable was already old when Fable came out, but some of it aged quite a bit more in the last few years than it did between the 70s and the early 2000s. Some things would have to be approached with a lot more care than they were originally, but it could survive the transition I think.

Conker could too, but it'd be a tougher transition. Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem can probably just stay back then.
Yea, there is more chance of Conker and Fable being brought back more faithfully with some heavy recontextualization. Dropping the poo and the flowers is a start for sure. I mean, heck, I might even be interested to see Duke brought back faithfully into a world that otherwise totally rejects him at a fundamental level. But it's very hard to do that in a way that's not gross (take the latest Leisure Suit Larry as an example).

It's not impossible to bring these back, of course, but I think we have to reflect on what we actually want. Instead of 100% fidelity, we can think about divorcing the parts that we hold onto purely because of nostalgia, not because they're actually timeless and good parts of the design.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
So, how's everyone's experience with the Wireless Display app streaming games from PC to Xbox One via Miracast (Wifi Direct)? It dropped this week, apparently has been tested by insiders for a while. I had mixed results to say the least. Witcher 2 and Skyrim were horrendeous, ELEX was serviceable, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Hyper Light Drifter, Tennis Elbow all worked great. Not quite sure if I can tweak my TV settings for my Sony KD49XE9005 any better probably or if the app just isn't that great. Never had good results with Steam Link back in the day either, but that's a different product anyways.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't tried the display app, I read a little about it from user reviews and they all seemed pretty negative. Might give it a go at some point

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I actually thought it was released a while back as I'd used it years ago.

Problem with stuff like WiDi is most consumers equipment just isn't that good from a network POV.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So, how's everyone's experience with the Wireless Display app streaming games from PC to Xbox One via Miracast (Wifi Direct)? It dropped this week, apparently has been tested by insiders for a while. I had mixed results to say the least. Witcher 2 and Skyrim were horrendeous, ELEX was serviceable, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Hyper Light Drifter, Tennis Elbow all worked great. Not quite sure if I can tweak my TV settings for my Sony KD49XE9005 any better probably or if the app just isn't that great. Never had good results with Steam Link back in the day either, but that's a different product anyways.

It worked fine enough for me with my laptop in the same room, which doesn't really have much installed on it to really tea with. I wasn't ever able to get it to work with my desktop though, which is upstairs and has all my more intense PC games installed on it. I have the option to connect to a wireless display, just for whatever reason it doesn't see the Xbox as an option, not sure why. Especially since I can connect to the Xbox via the devices menu if I go to "other devices".

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
From what they said before there will be some default semi customized layouts, but the game can support it directly and provide overlays. IIRC the example they gave was forza having 2 buttons and a horizontal slider, for gas, breaking and steering.
Yeah, that seems like the right approach. Though trying to imagine an overlay for DMCV or any Character-Action game is pretty puzzling.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yeah, that seems like the right approach. Though trying to imagine an overlay for DMCV or any Character-Action game is pretty puzzling.

I think in the original article they acknowledged that not every game would be easily translated to those inputs. It does sound like developers would be able to create their own control schemes if they wanted, so depending on how flexible that is I could see something where the overlay change contextually depending on where you are in a combo or in the air or something, I'm just blue skying this though I have no idea how something like DMC would work.

I hope the prototypes that came out a while back for little controller bits that can attach to phones and tablets ends up being a reality. I'm not gonna cary a controller around with me everywhere I go, but I'd fully just snap those things on to my phone like a case and leave them there forever.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
So what do we expect to come to PC next?
Halo 5 immediately after MCC?
Or should we expect a remaster of Gears 2, 3, and maybe Judgment with PC releases next?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
but this
So what do we expect to come to PC next?
Halo 5 immediately after MCC?
Or should we expect a remaster of Gears 2, 3, and maybe Judgment with PC releases next?
I'm sure they'll be watching the sales of MCC on PC closely before deciding on what next to port, but I expect Gears to be the next IP to make the move but with MS I can't really say but whatever they decide I believe MS stands to make so much money off these new platforms and it can only benefit Xbox as a whole. I also think Ori 1 should be ported to N.Switch befoe Ori 2, both games stand to do amazingly well on that platform... Cuphead too.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I was just watching this Crytek Demo on another thread and I have a question.

Real-Time Ray Traced Reflections With CRYENGINE on a Vega 56 GPU

When Microsoft was looking at Developers to acquire were they looking at the companies tech as well? Or, is Microsoft just looking for Mid range developers to add " Double A " Content to add to Game pass?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I was just watching this Crytek Demo on another thread and I have a question.

When Microsoft was looking at Developers to acquire were they looking at the companies tech as well? Or, is Microsoft just looking for Mid range developers to add " Double A " Content to add to Game pass?

We don't actually know for sure, but from what we're been told and seen, we can intuit that they're mostly looking for mid tier studios. Proprietary tech may factor in to it a little, but most of the new studios are using Unreal, so who knows. They've said explicitly before that they're not interested in duplicating things so they're not likely to ever go after a publisher. There also isn't a great reason to acquire a well known engine maker, they have access to the tech if they want it already.

Ive posted before about a few things all of the acquisitions so far had in common. My two cents is to keep an eye on studios that have crowd funded or independently produced an original game, and studios that have worked closely with Microsoft in the recent past. Those seem like the most likely targets to me, given the previous acquisitions all fit one of those categories.

Also, I see this a lot, but just because they're looking for mod tier developers, doesn't mean they're only interested in mid tier games. We've already seen a lot of growth in new studios, I think it's safe to say if a mid tier studio wanted to produce a AAA game and had the ambition and chops to do it, Microsoft would be fine with it.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

I think for tech stuff, the acquired company would be rolled into Microsoft as a whole, not as part of XGS. Take for example PlayFab, whose game-metric acquisition software is now a part of Microsoft Game Stack. Or Altspace VR, who I'm sure is working on VR Social Media stuff for future use in Windows Mixed Reality.

For Xbox Game Studios, content is key and is necessary for filling out Gamepass. Though they wouldn't be against their studios trying to innovate in the tech field, in fact I'm sure their encouraging it. I doubt 343i would be designing Slipstream if MS wasn't planning to license it out at some point.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone expecting relevant Microsoft news this week during GDC?

Directly from Microsoft? Maybe a little in regards to Game Stack. I think we'll have quite a few rumors about next gen hardware come out though if Microsoft is truly planning on talking about it at E3. I would think something about ray tracing would come up as well as Microsoft is talking DirectX and DXR.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Directly from Microsoft? Maybe a little in regards to Game Stack. I think we'll have quite a few rumors about next gen hardware come out though if Microsoft is truly planning on talking about it at E3. I would think something about ray tracing would come up as well as Microsoft is talking DirectX and DXR.

I hope so

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
"Bbbut Halo is dead, is not a big deal anymore" lol
b93w.jpg

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Conker could be dragged kicking and screaming in to the modern age, keep the foul mouthed squirrel and maybe ditch the poo and flowers?
Conker isn't foul mouthed. I've never understood this stereotype considering he's the one who DOESN'T swear. It's what makes him stand out. He likes to drink. He's greedy. He loses everything in a moment of horrifying hubris. But he's polite, even in a passive aggressive way, and the only times he swears in the entire game is when quoting a movie. He's mostly calm, sardonic, and increasingly confused by the absolutely mental world he occupies.

Conker is a classic British comedy archetype. A character befuddled by the lunatics he's surrounded by.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Conker isn't foul mouthed. I've never understood this stereotype considering he's the one who DOESN'T swear. It's what makes him stand out. He likes to drink. He's greedy. He loses everything in a moment of horrifying hubris. But he's polite, even in a passive aggressive way, and the only times he swears in the entire game is when quoting a movie. He's mostly calm, sardonic, and increasingly confused by the absolutely mental world he occupies.

Conker is a classic British comedy archetype. A character befuddled by the lunatics he's surrounded by.

agree

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Fair enough, I haven't played Conker this century, so I guess the wires in my memory got a but crossed

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Master Chief Collection on Steam is awesome, but I don't think it's as significant as a lot of people are making it seem. I mean the newest game in the collection is what, 7 years old? It seems like this is more a move to drive multi-player numbers and revitalize the interest in Halo. While I do think a lot of Xbox games will eventually make their way to Steam, I wouldn't expect a lot of new games to launch on steam at the same time as on Windows store.
If Half Life 3 on PC is an SS-tier meme, then Halo 3 on PC is an S-tier meme. People have been clamouring for it forever. And in addition to that, there's Reach, CE, Halo 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, and Halo 4 being brought alongside it. These might be 7+ year old games, but they're extremely vaunted games, from a series that millions are nostalgic for, at a time when gamers are fuming about games exclusive to any storefront not named Steam and the proliferation of insidious microtransactions. It is a big deal.

While not the greatest metric, the 'MCC is coming to Steam' announcement on Reddit has surpassed every thread pertaining to Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU2 and RDR2 (a few humorous gifs aside) on /r/games and /r/gaming. A deluge of Halo memes have also dominated /r/gaming all week.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If Half Life 3 on PC is an SS-tier meme, then Halo 3 on PC is an S-tier meme. People have been clamouring for it forever. And in addition to that, there's Reach, CE, Halo 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, and Halo 4 being brought alongside it. These might be 7+ year old games, but they're extremely vaunted games, from a series that millions are nostalgic for, at a time when gamers are fuming about games exclusive to any storefront not named Steam and the proliferation of insidious microtransactions. It is a big deal.

While not the greatest metric, the 'MCC is coming to Steam' announcement on Reddit has surpassed every thread pertaining to Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU2 and RDR2 (a few humorous gifs aside) on /r/games and /r/gaming. A deluge of Halo memes have also dominated /r/gaming all week.

I'm not saying it isn't a big deal, I just don't think it has to be a sign that Microsoft is bringing every future game to Steam

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
I reaaaaly hope so. Asobo Studio could be a great adquisition. They are really talented.
Is there much detail on what they actually worked on for Quantum Break, ReCore, Zoo Tycoon, and other collaborative projects?
I get they seem to have talent, but is it enough to warrant an acquisition?
I think Plague Tale will be a major test bed for them.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
All that info is on their website. Asobo helped with animation, lighting, FX or Sound Design. http://www.asobostudio.com/games
Interesting. I still think Plague Tale will be their major test. Its always a more interesting seeing a team build their own piece (with minimal help from others if need be). I'm very excited to see how it turns out.

With that said, it doesn't sound like they're too interested in being acquired though, and if MS hasn't already seemingly approached them, I'm not sure if even Plague Tale would change that or not. Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.