• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
All I'm saying is, of everyone listed there, IOI is the only one that isn't either a publisher or already owned by Microsoft.
Technically.... Massive Entertainment doesn't fit those either (they're owned by Ubisoft though).

I do find it very interesting to see IOI up there though. I don't think it means too much, but its cool to see them being a leader of innovation in the industry.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
IO Interactive...............

(i dont think it means anything though rofl)
Several studio and engine developers intend to add VRS support to their engines/games, including:
Basically translates to - VRS will get initially supported by:
  • Slipspace
  • Unreal Engine 4
  • ForzaTech (Turn10 as well as PG iterations)
  • Snowdrop
  • AnvilNext 2.0
  • Unity
  • Call of Duty engine (id Tech xx)
  • Glacier engine
  • more
Basically every big engine is included with the exception of Frostbite. That's a huge plus for DX12 here, as the rendering quality stays the same at better performance.

Developers now have an incredibly flexible tool in their toolbelt, allowing them to increase performance and quality without any invasive code changes.

In the future, once VRS hardware becomes more widespread, we expect an even wider range of hardware to be able to run graphically intensive games. Games taking full advantage of VRS will be able to use the extra performance to run at increased framerates, higher resolutions and with less aliasing.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Does everybody think that the Xbox One S All Digital Edition Console is a competitor to whatever Streaming Console Google will announce? I can see OG XB1 and XB1S becoming Streaming solution for next gen XCloud games.

If Microsoft can price the Disc-less Xbox One S console at $100 - $150, then that's a massive advantage for Microsoft, especially with 40 - 50 Million user base.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Does everybody think that the Xbox One S All Digital Edition Console is a competitor to whatever Streaming Console Google will announce? I can see OG XB1 and XB1S becoming Streaming solution for next gen XCloud games.

If Microsoft can price the Disc-less Xbox One S console at $100 - $150, then that's a massive advantage for Microsoft, especially with 40 - 50 Million user base.

I agree but I don't think this is the right thread.

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a dumb question, and is probably in the wrong place, but does anyone here have any experience playing an OG Xbox via HDMI passthrough on the Xbox One? (With an HDMI for the Xbox, obvs)

Is it playable/worth doing?

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

Yes, but I also think MS will rollout an even cheaper box that only does streaming alongside next-gen consoles.

Basically, their plan is to litter the store shelves with as many models of Xbox they can fit on them.

Oct 26, 2018
This might be a dumb question, and is probably in the wrong place, but does anyone here have any experience playing an OG Xbox via HDMI passthrough on the Xbox One? (With an HDMI for the Xbox, obvs)

I play my 360 that way

Edit: only game that has issues with latency is saints row 1, everything else is fine, even halo 3 multiplayer

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I can't see a reason why that wouldn't work, you won't get any significant benefit like intelligent upscaling or anything, but it adds an extra port to the TV, I had my PS4 hooked up this way for a while.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
It does seem weird that Phil would mention Playground's new game at E3 2018 but not reveal it until 2021. It could be a huge game though, and it's being developed by a new team so I can understand it being a ways off. In some ways, Playground's second team is similar to the Initiative, albeit somewhat further along.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I think we see PGs next game sooner then we think.

I'm thinking it will follow the same format as Horizon and start relatively small in scale, with a focus on the core mechanics

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
Here is a totally unsubstantiated, totally made up confirmation that Microsoft has made another studio purchase! Look at all those studios using Microsoft's new shader tech. Wasn't one of those companies recently on "Xbox fans" acquisition list?!

JUST SAYING, A GUY CAN DREAM CANT HE! ( and no I don't mean EPIC )
I mean....I was a big IOI fan but if you could throw me Massive instead I'd bite.

Nov 23, 2018
Playground doesn't need to rush their open-world RPG and Xbox doesn't need to reveal the game until E3 2020 at the earliest.

Halo: Infinite will be the massive game headlining the Scarlett launch line-up in Holiday 2020. Spring 2021, sometime in March-May, would be an optimal time for Playground's release, in my opinion.

Early 2021 is when I expect the new first-party studios to start releasing exclusives on a flow-basis.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018

NascarSlide.png

Am I reaching?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I think we see PGs next game sooner then we think.

I'm thinking it will follow the same format as Horizon and start relatively small in scale, with a focus on the core mechanics
Should we expect any multiplayer elements?

I don't know about this. This kind of iteration works great for some games, linear stuff or scenario based stuff, they can start out one way and expand to a more open world later. But when you're slapping "open world" on the box, the world shouldn't just be open, it should be filled.

I think Playground is gonna aim pretty high, because they've got the money, talent and support to do it.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
Should we expect any multiplayer elements?
Not sure about PG's future non-Forza titles, but I do think all of Rare's future projects will have a focus on multiplayer. First thing you see on their website is "An Xbox game studio with a 30-year pedigree, doing what we adore and creating games that players love to keep playing. Come on in!"

I know that doesn't necessarily mean multiplayer, but when you consider which titles in today's market have the most active on-going player bases, I'd say 95% of them are thought of as multiplayer focused games first and foremost (them being Fortnite, Apex Legends, GTA Online, LoL etc.)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Basically translates to - VRS will get initially supported by:
  • Slipspace
  • Unreal Engine 4
  • ForzaTech (Turn10 as well as PG iterations)
  • Snowdrop
  • AnvilNext 2.0
  • Unity
  • Call of Duty engine (id Tech xx)
  • Glacier engine
  • more
Basically every big engine is included with the exception of Frostbite. That's a huge plus for DX12 here, as the rendering quality stays the same at better performance.
But.. But... What about Cry Engine and Lumberyard?!?!

Does Remedy use their own tech too? Also, is Borderlands on Unreal?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Great Xcloud interview.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-19-microsofts-cloud-gains-substance

How's it going with your solution to latency here? It's still an issue with many services we've seen already, so what kind of latency will we see on xCloud, and how are you going about minimising that?

Kareem Choudhry: From the data centres we have near Washington we're seeing really good latency - less than 10 milliseconds that's being added by the traversal to the cloud. Frankly we find more latency in the Bluetooth stack, connected to an Android phone. Part of what I get so excited about, having Azure as our first party cloud, is that I'm able to place hardware, regionally, as close to users as possible. When I talk to game developers, latency is something the industry has been dealing with for a long time, but they've always dealt with it from the multiplayer side. When I go and talk to creative game developers, especiallly in first party, is that they're going to take all those latency mitigation techniques that we apply on the multiplayer side and we're going to put them on the enduser input side. I think it's going to work out okay.
The other thing I've noticed is that consistency of latency is much more important than absolute latency, when it's very spiky. The human brain is actually an excellent latency compensator, and if we can use that to our advantage I think that'll be good.

What kind of connections will you be requiring for this?

Kareem Choudhry: We hope to get down to single digit mbps. I think some of the demos we've shown so far have probably gone down to nine, 10mbps. Some of the work that we're doing with Microsoft research, I think we'll be able to get a really good video feed probably around six to five.

At the moment you've got Xbox One S consoles in the data centre - how exactly does that work?

Kareem Choudhry: That's really a mechanical question - version one is go buy a console, take the plastic off and go put it in a data centre. That's what got us up and running, and obviously that happened quite some time ago. If you remember - let me back up, a data centre operating environment is very different to a home environment, and when we design a console for the home environment there's a bunch of things we take into consideration - power consumption, the acoustics, I spent a lot of years of my life recording the decibels of the fan from 10 feet away.

The other question would be why not Xbox One X consoles in there? Is that just because this is an early iteration?

Kareem Choudhry: I'd say a couple of things - one, we have a roadmap of what we're doing on the hardware side. But we just decided to start with Xbox One S for a couple of reasons. One was our first target being Android phones - we could send a 4K stream there, but probably 1080p, no-one's going to tell the difference. That was an easier place to get started, and frankly we wanted all our Xbox One X chips to go to consumers like yourself.

There's been a lot of excitement about the potential on Switch. What would it take to get xCloud working on Switch?

Kareem Choudhry: Well I've never developed on the Switch, for obvious reasons! So I'm not a good person to answer that question, but from an aspiration perspective, really I want to enable content on any device that has a screen and an input. We're starting on Android phones, but you could extrapolate where else we could go next - mobile phones is an obvious starting point. We spend a lot of time thinking about things like smart TVs, and other inputs.

How do services like GamePass sit alongside xCloud?

Kareem Choudhry: Obviously GamePass is our subscription service, it's really where we want to deliver great experiences and value to our customers. And right now it's a console product - we have aspirations to bring it to more users and more places. Project xCloud and GamePass are going to co-exist in some reasonable way.

A broader philosophical question - some people see cloud gaming as the death of console, or the start of it. Is it that extreme?

Kareem Choudhry: It's not that extreme at all! I've been building consoles for 15 years - we're not getting out of the console business, we spoke about it in our xCloud videos. We love our consoles, we love that business, and we're super proud to have the most powerful console out on the market place today and that leadership position we hope to retain going foward. And I also believe your best premium experience is going to be dedicated hardware running under your TV in your living room. It's an 'and' conversation, not an 'or' conversation. Everyone loves to jump to the death of consoles, and I think it makes a great headline, but we don't think that way at all.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

I just played Alan Wake and when I see this video from Sam Lake in 2013... Man what he is describing is just what Obsidian and inXile listed as the main reasons to join Xbox Game Studios. We have Compulsion who will probably be developing titles in a similair direction but they're not Remedy. Too bad the strategic changes within MS didn't happen a couple years earlier, I think they would have fit with Remedy really well. Remedy now tries to pull their ambitions off by increasing their audience. We'll see.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

I just played Alan Wake and when I see this video from Sam Lake in 2013... Man what he is describing is just what Obsidian and inXile listed as the main reasons to join Xbox Game Studios. We have Compulsion who will probably be developing titles in a similair direction but they're not Remedy. Too bad the strategic changes within MS didn't happen a couple years earlier, I think they would have fit with Remedy really well. Remedy now tries to pull their ambitions off by increasing their audience. We'll see.

Here's hoping that Control is a hit, it's looks really great so far and that Game Informer cover was gorgeous.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I occasionally think about the different studios that would be a part of Microsofts stable right now if they'd started this focus on gaming's and acquisitions at the beginning of the gen instead of now. But honestly, for me, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and Compulsion make up for whatever lost opportunities there may have been.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I've been playing We Happy Few a fair bit recently. It's a very, very odd game in its attempt to marry sandbox with narrative, and it doesn't really work... but there is a lot about it I enjoy, and I feel like it has verve, style, imagination, and a lot of thought behind it (even if ultimately it's all hamstrung by the weird overall design), all things that I think bode well.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I've been playing We Happy Few a fair bit recently. It's a very, very odd game in its attempt to marry sandbox with narrative, and it doesn't really work... but there is a lot about it I enjoy, and I feel like it has verve, style, imagination, and a lot of thought behind it (even if ultimately it's all hamstrung by the weird overall design), all things that I think bode well.

I feel the same way. I really really like the style, the art, and the world, but a lot of the design is just confusingly bad, and it has a good number of technical issues. Certain points of the game absolutely drag because of all the running back and forth, and some of the writing isn't great. But just the surreal vibe of Wellington Wells has kept me in it almost to the end of chapter 2. I really think with some smart hiring and technical support, Compulsion could make something really great, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also hoping We Happy Fews's forthcoming DLC addresses some of the issues with the base.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017

Completely agree. I'd love to see it happen, as Remedy make almost perfect SP experiences for me. Look great, interesting characters and plots, and a playtime that doesn't drag on.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

Interestingly enough Alan Wake was supposed to be an open world game at some point as well, but it was redesigned to make it a more tight narrative experience. I do think Compulsion can possibly serve a similair audience that enjoyed Alan Wake, but I haven't played We Happy Few yet but will do really soon (I have played and enjoyed Contrast though).

Status
Not open for further replies.